Interesting aspect of 125% voucher

Squawkman

When our March 22 cruise was cancelled, we decided to take the 125% and use it towards a 2023 cruise we booked in September. The plan was to add an extension, and save the remaining money (about $700) for excursions and possibly tips. When the vouchers were applied, there was a small deficit left (almost $300) which was subtracted from our $1,000 deposit - as we planned. What we didn’t know is that Viking doesn’t hold the $700 - they refunded it to the payment source of the deposit. Nice surprise as we’re not limited to use it for our 2023 cruise as we thought.

We also had a pleasant surprise using our FCV's yesterday. By applying the vouchers at the time of booking we saved CAN $ 3,800 in the deposit and CAN $3,000 on purchasing the Viking insurance.

While the deposit saving is only temporary, the insurance saving is a real saving.

• Like 1

Yes, it is all very weird. Here is what I encountered.

• A voucher can be used for one person's expenses on a single cruise.
  • Except insurance [N.B. I was able to have Viking "transfer" the insurance from a canceled cruise to a future existing booking - and the excess insurance cost was refunded to my credit card.
  • Applying a voucher to a previously booked cruise will lower the cost of Viking insurance.
  • If the voucher pays the full cost of one person's cruise, your deposit will be refunded.
  • Unused value will vanish on boarding day.

I'm sure there are other points that I cannot think of right now, but each of these has been experienced by me personally except the vanishing on boarding day as I my first three Viking cruises have been canceled.

Just wondering why unused the unused portion of Viking voucher would vanish on boarding day? I was led to believe that the unused portion of voucher would be available for shipboard credit for use of optional tours, silver spirit packages, gratuities on that specific cruise booked. Anyone else told that??

• Like 1

1 minute ago, peggy655 said:

Just wondering why unused the unused portion of Viking voucher would vanish on boarding day? I was led to believe that the unused portion of voucher would be available for shipboard credit for use of optional tours, silver spirit packages, gratuities on that specific cruise booked. Anyone else told that??

Peggy, you are partially correct. The voucher can be used to purchase anything that can be paid for in advance of sailing - including the SSBP, optional tours, and pre-paid gratuities - but only if ordered and paid in advance of boarding.

I did have several opportunities to discuss the exact details of voucher usage with Viking Customer Relations agents and it was made very clear to me that this is Viking Policy. I was able to receive special dispensation to apply a small amount of excess voucher value to a second cruise, but since all those cruises were canceled I am guessing I won't get that consideration again.

The thing that I really had trouble with was that MY voucher could not be applied to cruise fares and other expenses for my DW (and vice-versa). It can be transferred in its entirety, but not shared. Viking Policy.

Eventually, I determined that I would use as much of the voucher as possible - remembering that the extra 25% was not my out of pocket money - by upgrading and buying everything in advance that I could. My Policy is working out pretty well for rebooking our canceled 2021 Northern Lights cruise to 2022.

That is very good information to know.  I have had two cruises out of three  cancelled and accepted FCC vouchers.  I know I used the vouchers on a rescheduled cruise that has a credit of several hundred dollars that I was expecting to use for gratuities and excursions when I got on board. Will make sure I pay in advance on boarding with this information. 

I did encounter one issue with Viking as they automatically applied two vouchers to a new cruise booked for 2022 without my permission when I made reservation and paid deposit.  I had intended to use those two vouchers for a final payment different cruise in 2021.  My travel agent never authorized that action and my booking never reflected Viking's action. It took multiple phone calls and speaking with several supervisors before they would rectify their action.  I think we all recognize cruise lines are going thru difficult times but if we are willing to allow them to keep our money for future cruises I think it should be very clear how FCC's are used and that they expire on boarding day and not when you disembark from ship. 

3 minutes ago, peggy655 said:

I did encounter one issue with Viking as they automatically applied two vouchers to a new cruise booked for 2022 without my permission when I made reservation and paid deposit.  I had intended to use those two vouchers for a final payment different cruise in 2021.  My travel agent never authorized that action and my booking never reflected Viking's action. It took multiple phone calls and speaking with several supervisors before they would rectify their action.  I think we all recognize cruise lines are going thru difficult times but if we are willing to allow them to keep our money for future cruises I think it should be very clear how FCC's are used and that they expire on boarding day and not when you disembark from ship. 

Yes - untangling vouchers used incorrectly - for whatever reason - is ... um ... "difficult." I experienced that, the multiple phone calls as well as several emails to Viking Customer Relations (TellUs@VikingCruises.com). Your point that they are yours, is well taken. It shouldn't be that hard, but it is.

4 hours ago, peggy655 said:

I was "in" the first round of cancellations and immediately called Viking to investigate my options. I was told that in my case a FCV would amount to xxx and could be used for "anything" on a rebooking. I rebooked the cruise for 2021 upgrading both air and stateroom in the process as well as including the same pre and post extensions as the original booking. This all resulted in xxx "leftover" FCV to use for "anything." The following appeared in MVJ (I have a screen shot of the notice):

You Have Shipboard Credit

You have a total of xxx to use toward shore excursions. Credit will be applied at checkout and must be used for this cruise. Unused credit will be available once you embark the ship.

The amount of "Shipboard Credit" coincided with the amount of FCV I had not yet used up.

After searching in vain for several weeks, I located the information on my FCVs on My Viking Journey, My Account --> Payments & Cart, on the Payment Methods tab:

image.thumb.png.3195e6ce0d522a79d7e69295956b67d9.png

This makes it clear there are two types of credit, and when and how they can/must be used.

Edited by What was that?
Added a detail

11 minutes ago, What was that? said:

After searching in vain for several weeks, I located the information on my FCVs on My Viking Journey, My Account --> Payments & Cart, on the Payment Methods tab:

image.thumb.png.3195e6ce0d522a79d7e69295956b67d9.png

This makes it clear there are two types of credit, and when and how they can/must be used.

Onboard, shipboard, FCC, FCV, --------------------

• 2 months later...
On 12/14/2020 at 11:37 AM, peggy655 said:

Yes. And I have screenshots of the statements made to back me up. Once the deadline for requesting a refund had passed this all changed with Viking saying I had been misled. "Misled" in this case is Viking corporate-speak for "We lied to you."

• 1 month later...
On 12/14/2020 at 12:50 PM, What was that? said:

Peggy, you are partially correct. The voucher can be used to purchase anything that can be paid for in advance of sailing - including the SSBP, optional tours, and pre-paid gratuities - but only if ordered and paid in advance of boarding.

I did have several opportunities to discuss the exact details of voucher usage with Viking Customer Relations agents and it was made very clear to me that this is Viking Policy. I was able to receive special dispensation to apply a small amount of excess voucher value to a second cruise, but since all those cruises were canceled I am guessing I won't get that consideration again.

The thing that I really had trouble with was that MY voucher could not be applied to cruise fares and other expenses for my DW (and vice-versa). It can be transferred in its entirety, but not shared. Viking Policy.

Eventually, I determined that I would use as much of the voucher as possible - remembering that the extra 25% was not my out of pocket money - by upgrading and buying everything in advance that I could. My Policy is working out pretty well for rebooking our canceled 2021 Northern Lights cruise to 2022.

Hi - Now I'm totally confused! Would love to get your input.

I was checking information about Viking Vouchers and as I understood it, I was shocked to learn that the voucher “expires” if not used before the cruise.

We received a 125% voucher for a May 2020 cancelled cruise.

We rebooked for May 2021. We cancelled ahead of Viking’s cancellation for that cruise and had the voucher applied to the same cruise for 2022.    

After applying the voucher from 2020 tot he 2022 cruise, we have more money than the cost of the cruise. Do we lose it??? 

Thanks!

4 hours ago, travelnn said:

Hi - Now I'm totally confused! Would love to get your input.

I was checking information about Viking Vouchers and as I understood it, I was shocked to learn that the voucher “expires” if not used before the cruise.

We received a 125% voucher for a May 2020 cancelled cruise.

We rebooked for May 2021. We cancelled ahead of Viking’s cancellation for that cruise and had the voucher applied to the same cruise for 2022.    

After applying the voucher from 2020 tot he 2022 cruise, we have more money than the cost of the cruise. Do we lose it??? 

Thanks!

First, sorry about the double cancellation.

We are in a similar disappointing situation.

TLDR version:

No you do not lose any remaining FCV balance with one big stipulation.  The balance must be used before the cruise starts.  The balance will not transfer over to your ship board account for use during cruise.  Use it or lose it before cruise starts.

Long version:

Here is what I have been told by Viking Customer service and is consistent with my cruise MVJ details and post #10 in this thread (by @ What Was That?).

There are two distinct entries (for each passenger) in MVJ account details.

1.  Ship Board Credits - this OBC amount may be used before and/or during cruise.  If not used before cruise, it will transfer over (7 days before sailing date) to your ship account to use during the cruise.

2.  Voucher -  this is any remaining balance from FCV.   This has to be used before sailing.  I have been consistently told by my TA and Viking that it must be used on pre sailing expenditures (excursions, alcohol package and pre-paid gratuities) or it will be gone.  It will not be transferred over to ship account to use during cruise.

I think it would be prudent, unless someone at Viking moves  voucher balance to Ship Board Credits, not to risk losing the voucher balance it and plan on spending as stipulated by Viking - before the cruise. YMMV.

Hope this helps.

Edited by Homerody

While I hope this never happens to anyone again, I do want to warn that should you pre-pay something and the cruise is shortened, that it is very difficult to get a refund for the the unused portion of the service. 

We had refundable obc from our Travel Agent on our March 2020 Transatlantic and I decided that I would go ahead and use it to pre-pay the daily service charges. When we were turned around and brought back to Miami after Lady Rona caused Viking to cease operations, we expected to see the three days of unused service charges on our final onboard statement and therefore would be refunded with the rest of the unused OBC.   

Unfortunately, it appears when you prepay these charges (and perhaps others -silver spirits?) the charges don’t actually appear each day against your account so the ship couldn’t credit them. Other passengers who hadn’t prepaid had no issue since there hadn’t been a charge. Those who bought Silver Spirts onboard got 3 days worth refunded.  But it took several emails and three phone calls over a period of two months for us to get the prepaid amount refunded. 

8 hours ago, Homerody said:

TLDR version:

No you do not lose any remaining FCV balance with one big stipulation.  The balance must be used before the cruise starts.  The balance will not transfer over to your ship board account for use during cruise.  Use it or lose it before cruise starts.

Long version:

Here is what I have been told by Viking Customer service and is consistent with my cruise MVJ details and post #10 in this thread (by @ What Was That?).

1.  Ship Board Credits - this OBC amount may be used before and/or during cruise.  If not used before cruise, it will transfer over (7 days before sailing date) to your ship account to use during the cruise.

2.  Voucher -  this is any remaining balance from FCV.   This has to be used before sailing.  I have been consistently told by my TA and Viking that it must be used on pre sailing expenditures (excursions, alcohol package and pre-paid gratuities) or it will be gone.  It will not be transferred over to ship account to use during cruise.

I think it would be prudent, unless someone at Viking moves  voucher balance to Ship Board Credits, not to risk losing the voucher balance it and plan on spending as stipulated by Viking - before the cruise. YMMV.

Hope this helps.

I can confirm this exact same thing.  Excellent explanation.

We also had a June 2020 cruise that we rebooked using 125% voucher to July 2021, which was rebooked to July 2022.  We have nearly $1000 in the voucher left over. 

It was made abundantly clear to us by our Travel Agent that we will need to use that money up before the cruise.  This we plan to do with getting Silver Spirits Package and purchasing some optional excursions.  Those should easily use up the left over voucher money.  Not that big a deal for us.  Worse comes to worse, we would do prepaid gratuities as a last resort.

13 hours ago, Homerody said:

TLDR version:

Long version:

Hope this helps.

It IS very helpful - thank  you

After reading these posts I contacted my TA and she said that is correct; use it before or lose it.

One more reason for me to go back to Oceania and say farewell to Viking

49 minutes ago, travelnn said:

It IS very helpful - thank  you

After reading these posts I contacted my TA and she said that is correct; use it before or lose it.

One more reason for me to go back to Oceania and say farewell to Viking

Coincidentally,  I've been on the Oceania side of CC learning about all things O because I am considering my first cruise with O.  The ins and outs of O appear to be a bit more involved than Viking, but an in-person cruise comparison between between V and O is a worthy endeavor.  😀

1 hour ago, Homerody said:

Coincidentally,  I've been on the Oceania side of CC learning about all things O because I am considering my first cruise with O.  The ins and outs of O appear to be a bit more involved than Viking, but an in-person cruise comparison between between V and O is a worthy endeavor.  😀

Let us know here how it goes and what your thoughts are!

ccwinelover....will meet you in the Explorer's Lounge to take advantage of the Silver Spirits....I wonder who our bartender will be....and what what will her/his favorite libation to share!!!  fingers crossed we will find out!

• Like 1

You bet, Dee!!   Still looking forward to this one.  Hope it happens.

Have to look into the VIking Air soon here....

Thinking of flying Bergen to Amsterdam and spending some days.  We love Amsterdam so much - have been there so often (when I was working) that we feel so comfortable there.  Then fly home from there.

We booked our first ocean cruise for summer 2020.  When it was cancelled rather than getting a refund we asked to be rebooked on the same cruise a year later.  Now that cruise is cancelled and they said they will only get us a voucher that cannot be refunded for 2 more years.

does this sound right?

1 hour ago, charmed1959 said:

We booked our first ocean cruise for summer 2020.  When it was cancelled rather than getting a refund we asked to be rebooked on the same cruise a year later.  Now that cruise is cancelled and they said they will only get us a voucher that cannot be refunded for 2 more years.

does this sound right?

When your summer 2000 cruise was cancelled the notice of cancellation will have outlined the T&C of the FCV's. When a FCV is applied to a new cruise and that cruise is cancelled, the FCV is returned to your account with a new 2-year eligibility for it to be used.

If unused after 2-years, you will have 100% of the original money refunded.

When we booked a new cruise with a FCV, we asked this question and they confirmed if the new cruise was cancelled the FCV would be returned with a new expiry date.

On 4/5/2021 at 9:51 PM, CCWineLover said:

You bet, Dee!!   Still looking forward to this one.  Hope it happens.

Have to look into the VIking Air soon here....

Thinking of flying Bergen to Amsterdam and spending some days.  We love Amsterdam so much - have been there so often (when I was working) that we feel so comfortable there.  Then fly home from there.

Hi again

Questions about Viking Air

• Are you already booked with your cruise or are you booking it after booking the cruise? My TA said I could not add it on after the cruise was booked.
  • She also said if we used Viking Air, we would have to book upgrades from economy to business class dating from the END of the cruise. At that time, there may not be award seating and we would not be able to cancel the Viking Air.

Is this incorrect information?

Many thanks, This whole thing is making me want to join you for a drink!!!!