Rome...Marriott or Hilton?

skiiergirl

9 hours ago, skiiergirl said:

In Rome....which Marriott or Hilton hotel do you recommend?  

Which is nearer to the Vatican?

(Specific hotel name please.)

TIA! 

A little more info on your plans would be helpful. Rome is not the best place to use loyalty points on a hotel, and the Vatican is not the best location unless that is ALL you are planning on doing. 

How long will you be in Rome and what do you want to do while there?

There are no Marriotts or Hiltons close (walking distance) to the Vatican. There is the Le Méridien Visconti Rome (4 stars) which is part of the Bonvoy program; about a 20 minute walk to the Vatican. Not a terrible location, but not the most central either.

As I said, a little more info on your plans might lead to additional suggestions or ideas. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

A little more info on your plans would be helpful. Rome is not the best place to use loyalty points on a hotel, and the Vatican is not the best location unless that is ALL you are planning on doing. 

How long will you be in Rome and what do you want to do while there?

There are no Marriotts or Hiltons close (walking distance) to the Vatican. There is the Le Méridien Visconti Rome (4 stars) which is part of the Bonvoy program; about a 20 minute walk to the Vatican. Not a terrible location, but not the most central either.

As I said, a little more info on your plans might lead to additional suggestions or ideas. 

Thanks so much!  Yes...the Vatican is our primary/only plan this trip.  We have "hit" all the other "sites" previously.  Not sure if we will use points or pay $ but Mr. Ski is fairly adamant about staying at either Marriott or Hilton properties. 

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, nini said:

I believe that the Marriott and the Hilton are both located at the airport.

1 hour ago, CruiserBruce said:

No, the Marriott is a couple miles away. The Hilton is physically attached to the airport.

13 minutes ago, nini said:

True. My point was that it was not in Rome and for sure not close to

the Vatican as the OP thought it might be.

Thanks. Both Marriott and Hilton have “family brands” in Rome.  Not necessarily “regular” Hilton or Marriott but both have multiple options within the “brand family”.  
I do very much appreciate your replies. 

A quick look shows that none of the Hilton options are particularly close to the Vatican but such is life.  The Aleph Rome would probably be your best bet if you want a really quality property and it is very close to the Metro.   If you are looking for a less expensive option then there is a Double Tree.   Neither of these is within reasonable walking distance of the Vatican but you can easily bridge the distance with a taxi or public transit.  Marriott also has a few properties in the city but you also would likely want a taxi or public transit to get over to the Vatican.

Not sure why folks are posting about airport hotels since that is a long way from both Rome and the Vatican.  We never suggest staying near the airport (FCO) unless one  needs an airport hotel to access an early morning flight.

Hank

On 12/11/2020 at 10:53 PM, skiiergirl said:

In Rome....which Marriott or Hilton hotel do you recommend?  

Which is nearer to the Vatican?

(Specific hotel name please.)

TIA! 

I've stayed at the Rome Marriott Grand Flora Hotel which is near the Villa Borghese Gardens.  It is not all that close to the Vatican.  However, you can walk to the Spagna Metro Station and then ride the subway a couple stops to the Ottaviano Metro Station, which is the closest one to the Vatican.  The walk from hotel to Spagna is via a long underground tunnel (one end of the tunnel is just across the street from the hotel) that has some commercial establishments in it.  Then from Ottaviano to the Vatican Museum, it's a few block walk -- longer if you're going to walk to St. Peters.  But all the distances are nice walks if you're able and interested to do the walks.

The Grand Flora was a very nice property and I enjoyed staying there.