Tell me all things Emerald please

IMKTDQT810

Looking to book Alaska 2023. Since those rates aren't posted yet I am looking at what is showing for 2022. I am in between Emerald or HAL Eurodam. We are new cruisers to BOTH lines. It will (at the time of sailing) myself (53), DH (49) and DS (17) this will be his High School graduation present. 

DH loves the spa...do we need to purchase a separate spa pass for him to use the spa areas? I know we will be getting some sort of cabin with a balcony but no clue what category.

What else might we need to know about Princess or the Emerald Ship? 

Unlike on HAL, Princess cabins lack seating, especially for three people, unless you book a minisuite. The standard balcony cabins have only a desk chair and the bed (plus the balcony furniture), whereas a minisuite has a sofa and a chair.  With three in a cabin, the minisuite would definitely be preferable.  Minisuite balconies on Emerald deck are covered, thus protected from the rain.  Minisuite balconies on Dolphin deck (the vast majority of minisuites are on this deck) are totally open to the elements.  In a warm-weather itinerary, not a problem but in Alaska, the Emerald deck would probably be a better choice. 

I don't know much about the spa, as my only experience is getting a pedi there, so hopefully someone else can chime in on that. 

I was on the Emerald last Christmas/New Years and enjoyed her very much.  The promenade deck all the way forward has fantastic views, as does the aft part of the promenade.  I love the Adagio Bar up on Deck 16:  best bar at sea!   She has the International Cafe, which is a counter-serve option with lovely composed salads, soups, paninis, and sweets.  I also think a 17-year-old would enjoy the ship more.  HAL has a reputation for being very quiet/low-key.  He'd probably find more teens his age to hang with on Princess and definitely more entertainment at night for the three of you, like shows and also game nights (trivia, etc.). 

• Thanks 1

I sailed the Emerald and I loved it! They have a Thermal Spa pass that you can purchase for the length of the cruise.  This allows you into 2 saunas, a ‘rain’ shower, and use of heated beds.  It is sometimes difficult to find space there.  

You will hear different opinions here, but I loved the specialty restaurant- SHARE by Curtis Stone. You can find old menus on the Princess site. I also love the International Cafe.  They have pastries, donuts in the morning, sandwiches at lunch, and a few salads.  All are free.  They have specialty coffees and teas that you can purchase a la carte or through a coffee card.  These are also included in the beverage package.  

The shops are ok.  If you see something you want, buy it as they rotate some of the stock.  I missed out on some nesting dolls..... if you arrive before 1:00 on embarkation day, one of the dining rooms is open for lunch.  It’s really nice.  

Of course, all of this may change when they restart! You will have more than enough information in reviews after cruising restarts.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, IMKTDQT810 said:

Looking to book Alaska 2023. Since those rates aren't posted yet I am looking at what is showing for 2022. I am in between Emerald or HAL Eurodam. We are new cruisers to BOTH lines. It will (at the time of sailing) myself (53), DH (49) and DS (17) this will be his High School graduation present. 

DH loves the spa...do we need to purchase a separate spa pass for him to use the spa areas? I know we will be getting some sort of cabin with a balcony but no clue what category.

What else might we need to know about Princess or the Emerald Ship? 

While the Emerald is scheduled for Alaska in 2022 it may not be there in 2023. There probably will be some Grand Class ships along with Royal class ships on the Alaska itinerary. I would select a Grand Class ship over the Royal Class, but that's my feeling.

Strongly suggest you explore cruisetours. These are land based tours followed by a 7 night southbound voyage or the reverse. The 17 year old would probably enjoy this better than being on the ship all the time.

Grand Class ships have a thermal suite which has a cruise long fee. Grand Class ships also have steam and sauna at no charge. Royal Class ships only have the Enclave for cruise long fee. No free steam and sauna on Royal Class ships. All ships have fitness centers that are no charge. Services like massages are available by appointment and for a fee. Personally I think the fees are high.

HAL tends to be dull in the evening, not a lot of activities. It's dull for us and we are old. Probably very dull for the 17 year old.

Princess ships have a larger Cruise Director staff that run all kinds day and evening activities. The staff tend to be younger. Princess also has lots of live music groups, party bands, ballroom dance, classical, jazz, piano entertainers, big band, etc. There is a youth center, remix, for ages 13 tp 17. While at the upper end of the age group, your son may be able to find a friend(s) on board to hang with. I have seen older teens in groups around ships participating in evening activities.

I have found Princess' entertainment to be better than HAL.

Princess' DR food is about the same as HAL. No Charge comfort food which the son will probably enjoy is more widely available on Princess with pizza, soft ice cream and grill selections available from 11am until late evening each day, International Cafe open 24/7,  buffet area open 6am until 11:00pm each day, never closes during that time.

• Thanks 1

OP: a note about the open MDR that's available for lunch on embarkation day (as mentioned by CynCyn)...

If you ask a crew member which dining room is open, you'll be directed to the buffet. Don't bother asking. Before you go, ask here for information about which MDR it is.

Also, "mini-suites" are not actually suites. Just a larger balcony cabin with a tub/shower combo.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

11 hours ago, JF - retired RRT said:

OP: a note about the open MDR that's available for lunch on embarkation day (as mentioned by CynCyn)...

If you ask a crew member which dining room is open, you'll be directed to the buffet. Don't bother asking. Before you go, ask here for information about which MDR it is.

Also, "mini-suites" are not actually suites. Just a larger balcony cabin with a tub/shower combo.

Usually mid MDR deck 6 enter on port side.  However it can change.  

I was on one cruise pax asked specifically where a sit down lunch was served, the crew member told them where to go.  Almost always they say lido deck buffet

• Thanks 1

The Emerald is one of my most favorite ships. It has a fun and elegant ambience. The ship really feels like a ship. Yes, you’d want to buy access to the Thermal Suite. Sometimes a couples discount is offered, sometimes not. Now you can book online before the cruise. Just don’t use it if you’re claustrophobic. There are no windows, and it’s tucked down a staircase in the Spa. We really enjoyed it and would definitely book it again. 

• Thanks 1

We were on the Emerald 2019 to Hawaii. It is a wonderful ship. The cruise staff ( Matt)was a lot of fun. The games put on by the cruisestaff were hysterical. We were in a suite on Riviera deck and did the Sanctuary ( we love) so not on the tiny balcony. We took Princess to Alaska from Vancouver ( go early) with the cruise tour to Denali by train with our teens a number of years ago. It was a fabulous trip. We took the helicopter to do dog sledding . We’ll never forget it. If you take the train to the Yukon it picks you up right at the pier. Sit on the left side of the train for the best scenery ( it reverses on the way back but everyone is asleep by then). Princess tours are great and the lodges were very good. It is a memorable family trip. We had a balcony with the kids in an inside cabin directly across the hall. The National Park Rangers brought on board were great. The Captain had a ball yelling “ whales on port, whales on starboard” everyone racing back and forth. Bring hats, gloves, turtle necks and layers. We had three days in the seventies and three in the forties. 👍

• Thanks 1