Cunard Care

DaisyUK

2 minutes ago, DaisyUK said:

Am wondering whether to go with Cunard Care or arrange my own travel insurance. Any experiences of Cunard Care and/or advice welcome please?

Speak with your current insurance provider, house, care etc.  They will have your claim experience and will probably offer a better deal.  Also check with your bank as some accounts have travel insurance already built in for free.

Never used Cunard Insurance.

As an aside, if you have a car service plan, and also a RAC/AA subscription, your car service plan may already include AA/RAC membership.  

To add to Port Royal's excellent suggestions, make sure you look at the amount to be covered. If it's further afield and in a Q1 [as you have mentioned] basic insurance cover won't be sufficient to cover the  cancellation after final payment should you have to do that. Some of our cruises wouldn't be  covered for the full amount but thankfully, we've never had to claim and at least we have the best cover we can find on the market.

Thanks for the advice. I am giving myself a headache over this. The Cunard Care seems to offer very little in the way of medical evacuation and medical care, compared with some other policies, although I like that it gives the 75% FCC in the event of cancelling for any reason. Decisions, decisions.. Not sure the RAC/AA membership helps because I have booked in the USA, although we are UK citizens (we live here for several months of the year).

1 minute ago, DaisyUK said:

Thanks for the advice. I am giving myself a headache over this. The Cunard Care seems to offer very little in the way of medical evacuation and medical care, compared with some other policies, although I like that it gives the 75% FCC in the event of cancelling for any reason. Decisions, decisions.. Not sure the RAC/AA membership helps because I have booked in the USA, although we are UK citizens (we live here for several months of the year).

Insure for the worst possible scenario, then if it happens, no “Oh I wish I’d.........”.

10 minutes ago, DaisyUK said:

Try your bank. 

40 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

Try your bank. 

If this is a question....

Some UK Banks & Building Societies offer Account Holders free travel insurance as part of an “attraction” package to new or existing customers.  Some will offer insurance as part of a monthly fee, which ends if a minimum monthly fund amounts are paid in.  Check with your supplier or search on line.  Always a company looking for new accounts.  Good luck

FYI

We have set up 11 Accounts (Single and Joint) to secure maximum benefits, albeit interest, gift vouchers, etc., and with DD’s and transfers we bounce money in/out throughout the month to meet our contracted monies “in”.  Because it’s monies “in” only, not monies “in” and “stay”.

Takes time to setup, but worth it over a year.

Edited by PORT ROYAL
Vouchers

Be careful with regard to age and pre existing conditions in small print and of course are you insured for changes in government advice.

Again, good advice and thank you. I'm finding it a bit of a minefield to be honest, but I think our US agent has found us a good deal, and I have it in writing that it is applicable to us as UK residents departing and returning to the UK. It has very good medical and evacuation coverage (considerably better than Cunard's actually) as well as cancellation so I think we're all set. After the initial excitement of booking, I'm suffering a little buyer's remorse due to the Covid situation, but am just hoping that the world will be in a (much) safer state by November.

I found Cunard Care very expensive so take out our own annual policy.

The second time I tried to use Cunard Care I was given a quote the had them call me back a few minutes later. They said they had quoted for Royal Carribean and nearly doubled the quote!

Cunard offers Cunard care which sold by the voyage  should take care of you. Some years back a lady I knew on several Cunard trips had a stroke in Belgium. Cunard's insurance carrier got her to the hospital and later when she had recovered enough to travel sent her home business class with a companion to see that she got home safely at no additional cost to her.  Check with your travel arranger or Cunard directly. I am 76 and get it for every voyage.