Which Azamara R ship is for Sale

PaulMCO

5 hours ago, njhorseman said:

The new owner of Azamara kept its CEO so their opinion of whether that person cares is clearly different than yours.

Maybe they just needed someone who knows the line to  get them through the transition  period

Time will tell

I considered Azamara at one time but they could never decide  what they wanted to be  😉

42 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

Maybe they just needed someone who knows the line to  get them through the transition  period

Time will tell

I considered Azamara at one time but they could never decide  what they wanted to be  😉

It might be for the transition, but for all we know Azamara's CEO may have had a vision for the line that was rejected by Royal Caribbean but one that the new owner finds attractive.

As you say time will tell.

We sailed with Azamara during their first year because we had been booked on our annual Celebrity cruise from NY to Bermuda, which was cancelled and replaced by an Azamara cruise from Bayonne to Bermuda. We found them to be disorganized but in fairness they were so new and their introduction seemed to be done so hastily that the disorganization was understandable. We really disliked the bathroom in our balcony cabin (no surprise there) so between the disorganization and the bathroom we never booked them again.

Somehow years later we booked our first Oceania cruise on the Insignia despite knowing full well what the bathroom was going to be like. The itinerary was so attractive that it overrode my dislike of the shower.

On 1/21/2021 at 11:09 AM, ORV said:

As you've said many times, the R ships are a niche market, there's only so many customers in that demographic. 

It may be a niche market, but a stable, loyal niche is nothing to spurn. 

Small ship lovers have increasingly fewer choices, so we are being funneled to the same lines. I started out sailing on small ships in the 1970s (Sitmar). As ships started getting larger I stayed with it for a while but I have reached the point where I will do anything I can to avoid larger ships. And I am far from the only one.

In the last 10 years I've sailed with two niche lines (Voyages to Antiquity, Swan Hellenic) both of which had one 350-passenger ship and both of which are now defunct. I sailed on one of the R-class ships under Princess and I have sailed with Azamara. My options are limited.

I do see a difference between Oceania and Azamara as it has been. I am a solo cruiser, and O offers very little incentive for me to book with them. Azamara has in the past been much more accommodating with lower solo supplements.

Also, I cruise primarily for itinerary. In fact, I am skewed HIGHLY toward itinerary to the exclusion of most other things. And say what you will about Oceania's upping their overnights and bettering their itineraries -- I still almost always find, on comparison, that Azamara's itineraries are more interesting, and offer more time in port.

The size of the bathrooms on R-class ships bothers me not in the least, and I have met many other cruisers (on small ships) who would say the same).  I am even currently looking at Fred Olsen itineraries as another option in future, despite some of their ships being quite geriatric.

I hope that Azamara gets a new lease on life and increased focus on what they do well and does not become just another Oceania.

• Like 3

We haven’t yet sailed on Az, however their itinerary for Japan is/was so superior to O’s we had decided to give them a try. Unfortunately, with all the turmoil, we haven’t yet done it, I think it will happen for 2023. 

Japan offers incredible dining opportunities, and with the late port departures and overnights, we’ll be exploring more of their authentic cuisine than ship food. Personally I never understand why people would fly all the way to Japan to eat in the Terrace, Polo Grill, or Toscana; but it’s a personal thing I presume.

It will be interesting to watch Az emerge with the new management.

• Like 3

As primarily itinerary focused cruisers, our preferred lines are “O” and Azamara.  In particular, we like the size of the “R” ships and the intimacy they afford whilst still offering a decent choice of facilities.

Accordingly, Azamara’s acquisition of the PP, is a real plus and will give us increased options to continue our exploring on a small ship and at a price point that suits our budget.

Fortunately, there’s a cruise line to suit everyone and let’s hope this continues to be the case post Covid 19.

Regards 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Also, I cruise primarily for itinerary. In fact, I am skewed HIGHLY toward itinerary to the exclusion of most other things.

We are very similar.

Have sailed with Oceania, only once with Azamara, and trying Viking for the first time next year.

We know the food will be good  for us on all 3 cruise lines.

We know very well the cabin size on the 'R' ships as we also sailed on both the Princess 'R' ships.

Smaller ships with interesting itinerary and some overnights are priorities.

Hope to sail all 3 cruise lines a few times in 2022 / 2023.

Edited by Tranquility Base
  • Like 1