NCLH Repatriating Crew... Another Sign That Cruising Will Not Be Resuming Anytime Soon

njhorseman

I picked this up on the NCL board.

You may recall that NCL had used a couple of its large ships to transport crew from India, Indonesia and the Philippines to their anticipated new assignments aboard various NCLH ships. Unfortunately they are now using these ships to repatriate any nonessential crew, which would mean there's likely no way cruising could resume before sometime this summer given the length of time it takes to transport transport the crew back to their homelands and then bring them back again to work.

Here's a story about it:

http://crew-center.com/all-ncl-non-essential-crew-be-repatriated-home-april-2021

Edited by njhorseman

• njhorseman changed the title to NCLH Repatriating Crew... Another Sign That Cruising Will Not Be Resuming Anytime Soon
53 minutes ago, GICNJC said:

Looks like cutting costs again.  Considering the time required to get crews it looks like we will not see cruises before November when CDC No Sail Order expires.

Is there a CDC No Sail order until Nov? Huh. 

1 hour ago, GICNJC said:

Looks like cutting costs again.  Considering the time required to get crews it looks like we will not see cruises before November when CDC No Sail Order expires.

19 minutes ago, ORV said:

Is there a CDC No Sail order until Nov? Huh. 

There's no longer a No Sail Order. On October 30, 2020 it was replaced by the Framework for Conditional Sailing, which expires November 1, 2021.

Just now, njhorseman said:

There's no longer a No Sail Order. On October 30, 2020 it was replaced by the Framework for Conditional Sailing, which expires November 1, 2021.

Actually I knew that. Apparently some others don't. But that is how confusion spreads. 

• Like 3

CDC who? 

Will the 2022 ATW start and end outside the US? How many cruises will now just evade US ports?

It’s only January, and a lot will evolve. Leasing a charter flight to a welcoming Carribean Island for operations generates far more revenue than canceling entire cruises. 

The landscape we see today will be significantly different in 5-6 months as the total number of vaccinations increase. 

Add in the requirements for covid testing to fly domestically being proposed plus possible mandatory quarantining when you return home to the US, there will be zero cruises anywhere in 2021. So glad I booked a plan B cruise for 2022 so I won't be too disappointed when summer Oceanai Europe cruises are all canceled. 

1 hour ago, susiesan said:

Add in the requirements for covid testing to fly domestically being proposed plus possible mandatory quarantining when you return home to the US, there will be zero cruises anywhere in 2021. So glad I booked a plan B cruise for 2022 so I won't be too disappointed when summer Oceanai Europe cruises are all canceled. 

And of course any intl travel.

We're getting our second shot soon.

15 hours ago, pinotlover said:

CDC who? 

Will the 2022 ATW start and end outside the US? How many cruises will now just evade US ports?

It’s only January, and a lot will evolve. Leasing a charter flight to a welcoming Carribean Island for operations generates far more revenue than canceling entire cruises. 

The landscape we see today will be significantly different in 5-6 months as the total number of vaccinations increase. 

I hope you're right.

But many other jurisdictions popular with cruisers are even more strict about travel than the US (cf. Australia, UK, Japan, Italy, Canada...). There's only so much market for (Caribbean, Brazil, etc.)

There is no logical reason why cruising can't start up full bore in 5-6 months as you say, but the level of paranoia among our esteemed elected officials is off the charts. 

• Like 2