GIN CONNOISSEURS

dusababy

I have just received a belated Christmas gift from an Australian friend -- a bottle of FOUR PILLARS gin.  I know there has been lots of discussion about the varieties of premium gins on this site, but I haven't been able to retrieve.  Please help!  Should I keep this in the frig?  My preference is on the rocks but can sip w/o rocks if warranted.  Experienced sippers please come forward.

Dusababy aka Mary Ann

Here is FeverTree's pairing chart.  Four Pillars shows up twice, but I doubt that you are talking about their 'Bloody Shiraz' version or you would have mentioned it...

I personally prefer keeping both gin and tonic in the fridge.  I don't like the way the taste changes as ice melts.

fever-tree_pairing-wheel_starburst.jpg

Another vote for all in the fridge here.

@dusababy, the Four Pillars gin sounds tasty! Fever Tree's website recommends pairing it with Mediterranean tonic and a slice of orange. Might have to try that, as Empire Wine has Four Pillars in stock (unless @Host Jazzbeau buys it all before I can).

Luckily, The Fresh Market has Mediterranean tonic this week for $4.99 a 4-pack. Had to pick up an emergency replacement today as the case I ordered from Amazon seems to have finally disappeared...

@Daveywavey70, those whisky stones might not work well for me, as I like to chew on my ice after I finish a G&T...if I forgot and chomped on one of those stones I might break a tooth! One must pay careful attention if those are in the glass!

• Like 1

Their website describes what they use in their different gins. Looking down the page it gives some recipes for the different bottles. 
https://www.fourpillarsgin.com

We have visited and tasted their range. Planning another visit in April and looking forward to it.
It’s in the Yarra Valley so many wineries to visit too. 
Yesterday I bought a bottle of Seedlip a non alcoholic distilled gin.  I thought I could substitute it for my G&T before dinner!  Not impressed!  Thought I would be a little healthier so will see if I get used to it. May try different mixers and fruit. 

• Like 1

Gin really has exploded here in Australia recently.   So  many boutique producers to  choose from.

This finger lime gin was obviously on several peoples Christmas list  as it sold out in record time !

https://www.theginboutique.com.au/finger-lime-gin-750-ml

I am  currently working in Tasmania  and have been trying several new gins here.

"The Tasmanian gin scene is now booming, with more than 130 different Tasmanian gins on offer, making good use of the state’s diverse botanicals to offer unique experiences for the taste buds."

• Like 1

According to the (interesting and useful) Fever Tree chart, my favorites (Tanqueray and Plymouth) are in the "Juniper Rich and Robust Gin" category. I'm normally a martini drinker: up, no vermouth, shaken, lemon twist. But a G & T is sometimes demanded on hot summer nights, of which we get our share in Arizona. Fever Tree certainly is head-and-shoulders above the mass-market brands (Schweppes, etc.), but I think the best tonic out there is "Q," Definitely dryer than even the low-sugar version of Fever Tree. Of course, if you like your drinks a bit on the sweet side you can throw my advice out the window.

• Like 1

On 2/7/2021 at 7:47 PM, Randyk47 said:

Nothing better than than Gothic https://gothicgin.com

Hi Randy, some of those drinks in the mixology section look really good😃......I am not a big

Gin person but I would give these a try.  I am not a big drinker overall........I had never heard of 

this brand before your post.

56 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Hi Randy, some of those drinks in the mixology section look really good😃......I am not a big

Gin person but I would give these a try.  I am not a big drinker overall........I had never heard of 

this brand before your post.

It is a relatively new brand just starting to gain some traction in the market.   They’ve won several gin competitions in their category.