A Farewell to our Beloved Captain Magnus Davidson

Azamara Team

On behalf of the Azamara family, I’d like to send some warm wishes to our beloved

Captain Magnus Davidson, who will begin a new chapter with a new company, but

created a decade’s-worth of fond memories and great contributions. He began leisure

sailing in 1997, which naturally flourished into a fulltime passion and career. He joined us

as a Staff Captain in 2011 and in late 2015, he became Master of the Azamara Journey.

Since then, he’s been an instrumental mentor for crew members, making them feel at

home and part of the team.

His love of the sea, travel, Destination Immersion moments, and good food, as well as

his easy manner and quick sense of humor are things we will always remember. It has

been a pleasure and an honor to get to know him as a captain and as a person. Without

a doubt, he will be truly missed by both crew and guests. We wholeheartedly wish him

the best of luck in his future endeavors.

All my best, 

Carol Cabezas

Read his farewell message herehttps://www.azamara.com/loyalty/whats-new#magnus-letter

• Like 1

Magnus will be sorely missed.  As a fellow Scot we enjoyed a lot of local banter.  I still recall the first time we met him in 2012.  We were on a New Year cruise and I had brought bags of our famous tablet sweet for crew.  Luckily I had a spare bag and a few days in we met Magnus who was Staff Captain I think (Jason was Captain).  So on Hogmanay I sent the bag to Magnus.  What sticks in my mind so much was next day I had a lovely handwritten note back from him, thanking me for the tablet and saying how he had fun initiating the Bridge Team into the delights of tablet just after The Bells (Scottish for midnight).  I remarked what a well brought up young man writing his thank you letters and what a team player.  He was such fun to cruise with and was such a brilliant fit for Azamara.  I wish him good luck wherever he has gone and I hope we might still bump in to him around Leith.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, uktog said:

We were on a New Year cruise and I had brought bags of our famous tablet sweet for crew.  

Not being familiar with your famous Scottish tablet sweet, I looked up the recipe. Sounds yummy and very sweet. 

• Like 2

We were lucky to travel on a B2B cruise to Alaska. It was the first one of this destination and there were a few hiccups. Captain Magnus handled everything very professionally and kept a smile on his face. I remember the second half of the cruise we had a very small cruise critic gathering. Captain Magnus came and kept us amused. It was because of him and Ernest the cruise director we were hooked unfortunately COVID stepped in to ruin our chance of another cruise with Azamara in the near future. I don’t stop looking and will find the next perfect cruise  to sail with them again soon.

• Like 2

Captain Davidson was in charge aboard Quest leaving Cape Town 2/20/2020 when the virus really struck.  He and his team were really challenged as various countries closed their ports to us.  They stood up to it extremely well, to the point we enjoyed the cruise and the trip home. 

Smooth sailing in your future, Captain.

2020_Virus_Cruise 2.jpg

1 hour ago, Aardvaark said:

Captain Davidson was in charge aboard Quest leaving Cape Town 2/20/2020 when the virus really struck.  He and his team were really challenged as various countries closed their ports to us.  They stood up to it extremely well, to the point we enjoyed the cruise and the trip home. 

Smooth sailing in your future, Captain.

2020_Virus_Cruise 2.jpg

So true.

Feel truly privileged to have sailed with both Captain Magnus and HD Philip on their last sailing with Azamara.  They both made what could have been an untenable situation actually very enjoyable.

Kudos and best wishes to them both. 

• Like 1

My wife and I were talking and Captain Magnus stoped as walking by and said “I recognise that accent”.  Being Scottish, my wife said yes,  I come from Troon, no, said Captain Magnus, your husband’s.  I told him I came from Norfolk.  “Thought so, so do I”.  It transpired that Captain Magnus was born and lived in GT Yarmouth as a youngster and me next door in Caistor.  Who’d have thought it!

Sorry to learn he is leaving but wish him well in his next position.

Regards

• Like 1

I just saw a notice from Azamara that Capt. Magnus Davidson has left the company.  We sailed with Capt. Magnus on the Journey and on the Quest including the Quest's last cruise before it went into the Covid-19 lockdown.  On that cruise Capt. Magnus did an outstanding job under extremely stressful conditions of finding a port that would accept us for debarkation.  The notice, of course, did not say where Capt. Magnus was going and I was wondering if anyone knows!! 

3 minutes ago, Sydneyite said:

I just saw a notice from Azamara that Capt. Magnus Davidson has left the company.  We sailed with Capt. Magnus on the Journey and on the Quest including the Quest's last cruise before it went into the Covid-19 lockdown.  On that cruise Capt. Magnus did an outstanding job under extremely stressful conditions of finding a port that would accept us for debarkation.  The notice, of course, did not say where Capt. Magnus was going and I was wondering if anyone knows!! 

See me post above. I understand it to be Ritz Carlton Yachts. 

Phil 

On 2/11/2021 at 7:14 PM, uktog said:

Magnus will be sorely missed.  As a fellow Scot we enjoyed a lot of local banter.  I still recall the first time we met him in 2012.  We were on a New Year cruise and I had brought bags of our famous tablet sweet for crew.  Luckily I had a spare bag and a few days in we met Magnus who was Staff Captain I think (Jason was Captain).  So on Hogmanay I sent the bag to Magnus.  What sticks in my mind so much was next day I had a lovely handwritten note back from him, thanking me for the tablet and saying how he had fun initiating the Bridge Team into the delights of tablet just after The Bells (Scottish for midnight).  I remarked what a well brought up young man writing his thank you letters and what a team player.  He was such fun to cruise with and was such a brilliant fit for Azamara.  I wish him good luck wherever he has gone and I hope we might still bump in to him around Leith.

We always brought him tablet too and last March in the middle of the Indian Ocean, I gave him some shortbread one day ( I had found and extra finger wrapped in thon famous red packaging) and he came to find me next day and told me he had savoured it at 04.00 one day whilst on duty. A great guy who will be missed.

• Like 1