Havana Cabana Cabin,

DANCING GRANDMOMMY

Please give me all the info I would ever want to know about the Havana Cabana Cabins. Why do I want to pay $800 more for it than a regular balcony. Pros and con please. I am looking a the Panorama. I understand that I should book portside to avoid smoke from smoking section on the starboard outdoor Plaza. I appreciate all other words of advise.

Hi,

After seeing the outside layout of the Havana Cabana cabin Deck 5, I booked an inside.  I figure save the $$ and walk outside my cabin. I also want to be on Deck 5 — not just the Cabana Category — on another Deck. This is for a 2023 cruise I’m going to book. We gotta be cruising in California by then, right?! 😄

Now, I have recently had my Panorama cruise cancelled with the Cabana (April).  So, no personal experience. I just thought I’d share my decision.

🛳🌻

Bobbi

Edited by Markmom18
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Markmom18 said:

Hi,

After seeing the outside layout of the Havana Cabana cabin Deck 5, I booked an inside.  I figure save the $$ and walk outside my cabin. I also want to be on Deck 5 — not just the Cabana Category — on another Deck. This is for a 2023 cruise I’m going to book. We gotta be cruising in California by then, right?! 😄

Now, I have recently had my Panorama cruise cancelled with the Cabana (April).  So, no personal experience. I just thought I’d share my decision.

🛳🌻

Bobbi

I am claustrophobic so an inside cabin won't do. We sailed on her 1st cruise, but it was in Dec so we booked an ocean view for the added space. My husband as never meant a stranger in his life, I think he would love being part of an open group. 

Other options in the Havana area include aft facing and corner wrap balconies that are identical to normal balconies on ships.  The Havana Cabana cabins are more similar to a lanai.  They are substantially larger than a normal balcony,  but between where your lanai ends and the edge of the ship is a walkway that others who are staying in the area can walk past.  YouTube videos can show exactly what I mean.  The area is fantastic and we stayed there twice on the Horizon, but in an inside. 

• Thanks 1

We loved 🥰 our Havana Cabana on the Panorama for lots of reasons

The biggest reason was there was never a crowd by the pool or in the Havana .No problems with getting a seat  The pool was also heated 

We loved the bigger balcony and in the week we were onboard there was probably only a couple of times we saw anyone walk by. We did have the second to last cabin and the gate was always locked.  

We also were close to the Ocean Plaza where we spent a lot of time and had the small breakfast in the morning and the afternoon snacks.

If you have any other questions please ask away!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Dancing GrandMommy,

I also wondered who would spend that much extra money for the Havana area when I first heard about it.  I certainly did not think that I would.  Then we took a cruise on the Vista in a Havana aft-facing balcony room.  Oooooh, that was wonderful.  I am looking to book another on the Vista or Horizon.  I have looked at the deck plans for the Panorama, and I think the Havana area is smaller and on the side (instead of the aft).

Our balcony room was on deck 6 overlooking the Havana area on deck 5.  Our room was the largest we have had and the balcony was huge.  The view was great.  My husband loves the pool and he could always find space in it; I love sitting in a chair in the shade.  I was always able to find what I wanted.  Not crowded, bar close by.  We used that area every day.

I was not interested in the patio rooms.  I have read the view is obstructed by the sides, furniture uncomfortable, besides the lack of privacy possibility.

One deck up was very convenient to walk up or down the stairs; close to the Ocean Plaza for food.  I could read or watch the aft view from my balcony.

Bad parts:  the balcony was very HOT.  We were in the Caribbean, late April, early May.  It was bright; we kept the curtains closed to the room for the most part to help the AC out.  Yes, AC was good.

People from balconies above us could look down and see us on the balcony, but that did not bother me.  I saw people up there maybe once.  I am not interested in nude sunbathing (in my 60's).

We were over the nightclub area.  I heard, or felt the bass booms, rather softly.  It ended about 11 or midnight.  It did not hinder my sleeping.

I recommend the Havana area.  I will definitely be looking for one when the ships cruise the waters again.

• Thanks 2

On 2/19/2021 at 8:35 PM, DANCING GRANDMOMMY said:

Please give me all the info I would ever want to know about the Havana Cabana Cabins. Why do I want to pay $800 more for it than a regular balcony. Pros and con please. I am looking a the Panorama. I understand that I should book portside to avoid smoke from smoking section on the starboard outdoor Plaza. I appreciate all other words of advise.

Cruise in an inside cabin and save valuable dollars. My advice.

24 minutes ago, georgiacat said:

Thanks.  I may look at Panorama.

Edspec was correct. The Havana area is located on deck 5 aft on the 3 Vista Class ships (Vista Horizon Panorama).  It's on deck 8 starboard side on the 2 Excellence Class ships (Mardi Gras Celebration).  On the Panorama & Horizon, additional cabins are able to gain access to the Havana area as opposed to the Vista.  The Vista has 61 cabins and the other two have 79 with Havana area access.

In contrast, there are 98 cabins with access on the 2 Excellence Class ships with a substantially smaller recreation area when you only have a small pool on the Excellence Class versus a larger pool, two large hot tubs and two relaxation huts with shallow water for your feet on the Vista Class.

• Thanks 1

I booked a cabana because, next February, there will be 3 of us cruising in the room, and the balconies were all for 2 people on our cruise.  I have cruised interior before, but after covid, I will not (in case we have to remain in our staterooms).  In my opinion, the extra money for the cabana is well worth it because of access to the Havana area.  The Havana area on the Vista class ships is now my chief reason for cruising.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We had the Havana Lanai on the Horizon.  middle of the row.  Nothing obstructed.  Only people walking by were other Lanai passengers along our row.  Very quiet.  Havana deck had plenty of seating.  Ocena Plaza has a great breakfast buffet.  Java bar right there.  BBQ joint a short walk further up as were the Alchemy bar and Steakhouse and sushi places.  Only time we went up from deck 5 was for the Serenity deck salad bar at lunch and the Capitano Cucina one night and JiJi's twice.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, TequilaJane said:

Enjoyed the Havana area on the Horizon. The only issue with the cabana area is the lounge chairs for us were not very comfortable, there is not pad and you slide down off the chair. But the lack of crowds near the Havana bar made up for that issue.

Thank you for sharing that I will bring pads for them. 

On 2/22/2021 at 11:47 AM, crewsweeper said:

We had the Havana Lanai on the Horizon.  middle of the row.  Nothing obstructed.  Only people walking by were other Lanai passengers along our row.  Very quiet.  Havana deck had plenty of seating.  Ocena Plaza has a great breakfast buffet.  Java bar right there.  BBQ joint a short walk further up as were the Alchemy bar and Steakhouse and sushi places.  Only time we went up from deck 5 was for the Serenity deck salad bar at lunch and the Capitano Cucina one night and JiJi's twice.

Thanks for this info.  We're booked on Horizon in October 2022 and it sounds like our Cabana (or "lanai") stateroom is close to where yours is -- about the middle of the row, starboard side for us.  

I'd been studying the deck plans and it's great to hear that my surmises are correct:  nice and close to Ocean Plaza, Java Bar and the BBQ place (free/included at lunch, as I recall)...and I'd forgotten that Ocean Plaza serves breakfast so that's even better.  

We probably won't patronize the sushi or the Steakhouse -- my cruise-friends dislike spending "extra" on food -- but we'll likely visit JiJi's or the Cucina for lunch, as we were very happy with those choices before on the Vista.   (The Serenity salad bar would have been nice but it was so windy the lettuce was blowing around. 🙂 )  

Again, thanks.  

• Like 1

Pellaz,  The nominal $15 pp for JiJis at night is well worth it!  Better than the Steakhouse  IMO.

Sounds like your cabin is indeed near where ours was.  DW and I fought over the hanging chair. LOL.

I'm a bit sensitive to the sun, so says my dermatologist.  But If you can't get a clamshell on the Havana deck, the seating under the portico by the bar is just as great.  and if you are Mytime Dining, the reservation kiosk is right next to the Java Cafe.

Have a fantastic cruise.

14 minutes ago, crewsweeper said:

Pellaz,  The nominal $15 pp for JiJis at night is well worth it!  Better than the Steakhouse  IMO.

The same goes for Cucina del Capitano.  The 15.00 tarif, just like Jiji's, is a better value than the 38.00 for the steakhouse. 76.00 versus 60.00 and instead of 1 meal at the steakhouse you get to dine at 2.  The Tomahawk Pork Chop at Cucina is off the hook.

Edited by SNJCruisers

Please note that if there is a chance of rain 🌧 on your cruise the wonderful thing about a cabana is you can sit out there in the swing or chair underneath the overhead  and still enjoy your balcony/cabana patio outside. This is a game changer. The other balconies are not covered and do not have swing chairs. 

9F88EF2F-713E-4634-9EDF-D606B6766655.jpeg

9B50C703-A5D4-48FE-A92D-BB285D642DD7.jpeg

• Like 2

On 2/27/2021 at 6:18 PM, bdever said:

Please note that if there is a chance of rain 🌧 on your cruise the wonderful thing about a cabana is you can sit out there in the swing or chair underneath the overhead  and still enjoy your balcony/cabana patio outside. This is a game changer. The other balconies are not covered and do not have swing chairs. 

9F88EF2F-713E-4634-9EDF-D606B6766655.jpeg

9B50C703-A5D4-48FE-A92D-BB285D642DD7.jpeg

We stayed in 4216 on the Horizon 23 days my only problem is this cabin is only available on certain ships i love staying in a Havana Cabana Cabin. Your pictures brings back good memories.

• Like 1

On 2/20/2021 at 1:35 AM, DANCING GRANDMOMMY said:

Stayed in Havana on Vista 3 times, Horizon 3 times and Panorama twice- it really is the best area on the Vista Class ships. No problem getting a chair or lounger by the pool and it was never crowded even on sea days. Panorama has a nice touch with buttons near the loungers and hot tubs you press and the bar waiter comes to you. They also served pots of fresh chilled fruit in the afternoon.When they first sailed on Vista in the Med the area was opened to other guests from 4:30pm, this then changed to 7pm and in 2019 all Vista Class ships changed to exclusive to Havana guest 24 hours. With regard to smoking area it is on Deck 5 starboard side but all the way forward so is no where near Havana cabins. See picture below. 

The port side is better as there is a door through to the bar from the Cabin corridor on the port side - on the stbd side cabins there is a storeroom which is crew only -but people do use it but it is a heavy crew door.

Apart from the first time we had Havana on Vista in the Mediterranean we have never experience issues with people walking past the Cabanas. 

Screenshot 2021-03-06 at 08.53.31.jpg

1318800827_Screenshot2021-03-06at09_03_14.jpg.e45fb15a7df3459f759a59cb4cecb9b7.jpg

Edited by Will&Hel
  • Like 2

We just booked a Havana Aft balcony cabin for 2023.  8th deck.  We booked it because after COVID, kind of want to have a smaller environment but I have to have a balcony for that fresh air.  Looking forward to cruising again!

19 hours ago, Will&Hel said:

Stayed in Havana on Vista 3 times, Horizon 3 times and Panorama twice- it really is the best area on the Vista Class ships. No problem getting a chair or lounger by the pool and it was never crowded even on sea days. Panorama has a nice touch with buttons near the loungers and hot tubs you press and the bar waiter comes to you. They also served pots of fresh chilled fruit in the afternoon.When they first sailed on Vista in the Med the area was opened to other guests from 4:30pm, this then changed to 7pm and in 2019 all Vista Class ships changed to exclusive to Havana guest 24 hours. With regard to smoking area it is on Deck 5 starboard side but all the way forward so is no where near Havana cabins. See picture below. 

The port side is better as there is a door through to the bar from the Cabin corridor on the port side - on the stbd side cabins there is a storeroom which is crew only -but people do use it but it is a heavy crew door.

Apart from the first time we had Havana on Vista in the Mediterranean we have never experience issues with people walking past the Cabanas. 

Screenshot 2021-03-06 at 08.53.31.jpg

1318800827_Screenshot2021-03-06at09_03_14.jpg.e45fb15a7df3459f759a59cb4cecb9b7.jpg

Thank you so much for your info. Is is wrong that I am looking forward to this Havana Cabana cruise even more than my HI Journeys cruise. 

We just booked a Havana Cabana suite on the Panorama for Feb 2023. We read a few posts for the Vista about hearing bass noise from the bar until after midnight which made it impossible for them to sleep. Even though it's a splurge, we really want to treat ourselves to the suite but not if the noise will be a real problem. Kind of hoping that Carnival paid attention to the complaints and beefed up the soundproofing on the Panorama but we haven't found any posts about this for obvious reasons.

Anyone have insights to share? Thanks!

4 hours ago, AstroMan said:

We just booked a Havana Cabana suite on the Panorama for Feb 2023. We read a few posts for the Vista about hearing bass noise from the bar until after midnight which made it impossible for them to sleep. Even though it's a splurge, we really want to treat ourselves to the suite but not if the noise will be a real problem. Kind of hoping that Carnival paid attention to the complaints and beefed up the soundproofing on the Panorama but we haven't found any posts about this for obvious reasons.

Anyone have insights to share? Thanks!

So happy for you. That suite looks amazing. The shower alone looks worth the price of admission🙂 I was scared to even price it.