RCG Business Update Call on Feb 22, 2021 - Things to Listen For

1 hour ago, DCGuy64 said:

And the data suggests yours is a minority view.

LOL.

What data? - there is barely a ship on the sea right now. Nobody knows how bad this is as only 1 RCCL ship is sailing in the whole fleet! 

If the data supported it then why isnt the Mask, Testing and Quarantine requirements listed on the same page as the pricing and features of the ship?

34 minutes ago, Pandamonia said:

LOL.

What data? - there is barely a ship on the sea right now. Nobody knows how bad this is as only 1 RCCL ship is sailing in the whole fleet! 

If the data supported it then why isnt the Mask, Testing and Quarantine requirements listed on the same page as the pricing and features of the ship?

The data from a recent Cruise Critic poll suggesting that the majority of those surveyed said they'd cruise with the restrictions in place. MSC has been sailing the Grandiosa since August and has had no trouble filling its cabins. So like I said, most people aren't like you and are fine with masks, etc.

25 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

The data from a recent Cruise Critic poll suggesting that the majority of those surveyed said they'd cruise with the restrictions in place. MSC has been sailing the Grandiosa since August and has had no trouble filling its cabins. So like I said, most people aren't like you and are fine with masks, etc.

A Cruise Critic poll. LOL. That is settled then. Im guessing the sample size of 0.0001% of global cruisers on a die hard forum full of Pinnacle status cruisers who go on 8 or 9 a year is representative of the market. 

Mask mandates already in place:

Cinemas: Dead

Pubs: Dead (Friday night in my local there was 6 people)

High street shops: Dead

Public transport: Dead

The whole UK rail network had to be nationalised because nobody would travel on it as they would rather sit in their car mask free. 

If most people are fine with masks why have they put a 200 pound fine on not wearing one in a shop, train or bus. 

Maybe you should email RCCL head office and tell them everyone wants masks and social distancing and royal should not only just add it to their adverts and booking pages but people want it so badly they could charge you 14.99 a day mask fee like VOOM... 🤣

If its so acceptable for people please tell me where on here it is mentioned at least ONCE https://www.royalcaribbean.com/gbr/en

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Pandamonia said:

A Cruise Critic poll. LOL. That is settled then. Im guessing the sample size of 0.0001% of global cruisers on a die hard forum full of Pinnacle status cruisers who go on 8 or 9 a year is representative of the market. 

Mask mandates already in place:

Cinemas: Dead

Pubs: Dead (Friday night in my local there was 6 people)

High street shops: Dead

Public transport: Dead

The whole UK rail network had to be nationalised because nobody would travel on it as they would rather sit in their car mask free. 

If most people are fine with masks why have they put a 200 pound fine on not wearing one in a shop, train or bus. 

Maybe you should email RCCL head office and tell them everyone wants masks and social distancing and royal should not only just add it to their adverts and booking pages but people want it so badly they could charge you 14.99 a day mask fee like VOOM... 🤣

If its so acceptable for people please tell me where on here it is mentioned at least ONCE https://www.royalcaribbean.com/gbr/en

A few points worth mentioning:

1. The Cruise Critic poll was very broad-based, and I was actually surprised at the level of enthusiasm regarding the resumption of cruises, especially among die-hards. If anything, I expected more of them to resist the Covid-19 protocols. That suggests to me that the "I'll never cruise with a mask on" crowd might be a loud minority, but a minority nonetheless.

2. RCCL has had more than 250,000 people sign up to be volunteers for test cruises, which, to be clear, will require the wearing of masks, etc.

3. Your experience is very different to mine. You obviously live in the UK; I do not. Here in Virginia, shops are open, restaurants are, too (some for takeaway only, some delivery, but many have dine-in service). I'm sorry so much is closed where you are, but that isn't universally the case.

But what I do find odd is that you admit masks are required on public transport (same here in the US now), and yet you won't cruise with one on. Well, it seems you're going to wear one no matter what.

The way I see it, if I'm going to have to wear a mask, I might as well be on vacation!

Best of luck to you, if things go as you predict and the cruise lines can't find enough passengers willing to put up with the restrictions, then you'll have been proven right. But if cruising resumes en masse, and the ships fill up, then my prediction comes true. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

5 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

A few points worth mentioning:

1. The Cruise Critic poll was very broad-based, and I was actually surprised at the level of enthusiasm regarding the resumption of cruises, especially among die-hards. If anything, I expected more of them to resist the Covid-19 protocols. That suggests to me that the "I'll never cruise with a mask on" crowd might be a loud minority, but a minority nonetheless.

2. RCCL has had more than 250,000 people sign up to be volunteers for test cruises, which, to be clear, will require the wearing of masks, etc.

3. Your experience is very different to mine. You obviously live in the UK; I do not. Here in Virginia, shops are open, restaurants are, too (some for takeaway only, some delivery, but many have dine-in service). I'm sorry so much is closed where you are, but that isn't universally the case.

But what I do find odd is that you admit masks are required on public transport (same here in the US now), and yet you won't cruise with one on. Well, it seems you're going to wear one no matter what.

The way I see it, if I'm going to have to wear a mask, I might as well be on vacation!

Best of luck to you, if things go as you predict and the cruise lines can't find enough passengers willing to put up with the restrictions, then you'll have been proven right. But if cruising resumes en masse, and the ships fill up, then my prediction comes true. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

If im being paid to wear a mask that is one thing. Im not paying to wear one on holiday.

Also the figures do not back up reality. Mask mandates caused a massive drop in booking for land holidays in countries where you had to wear them in public. Flight numbers are 90% down. Passengers are 90% down. The financial results for Tui and the airlines speak for themselves and yet Staycations in the UK were sold out and are sold out for 2021 too so there isnt any lack of demand for holidays there is a lack of demand for holidays with restrictions. 

The average cruiser does not even know about mask mandates on ships. Its not been publicised anywhere official on their website or communicated with guests with bookings. All or most of the bookings are 2020 lift and shifts and FCC's. Talking to my T.A they said that basically ships are empty other than movements from last year. The only bookings they are getting is for 2022/23. 

Remember you can still buy a cruise from RCCL for May out of the UK & Europe. If there was all this demand why arent they sold out?

1 minute ago, Pandamonia said:

If im being paid to wear a mask that is one thing. Im not paying to wear one on holiday.

Also the figures do not back up reality. Mask mandates caused a massive drop in booking for land holidays in countries where you had to wear them in public. Flight numbers are 90% down. Passengers are 90% down. The financial results for Tui and the airlines speak for themselves and yet Staycations in the UK were sold out and are sold out for 2021 too so there isnt any lack of demand for holidays there is a lack of demand for holidays with restrictions. 

The average cruiser does not even know about mask mandates on ships. Its not been publicised anywhere official on their website or communicated with guests with bookings. All or most of the bookings are 2020 lift and shifts and FCC's. Talking to my T.A they said that basically ships are empty other than movements from last year. The only bookings they are getting is for 2022/23. 

Remember you can still buy a cruise from RCCL for May out of the UK & Europe. If there was all this demand why arent they sold out?

Like I said, only time will tell.

I did find it encouraging to see cruise stocks surging yesterday, including RCCL. As I said, good luck to you. We shall see.

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/24423-bullish-royal-caribbean-outlook-sends-cruise-stocks-surging.html

15 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

Like I said, only time will tell.

I did find it encouraging to see cruise stocks surging yesterday, including RCCL. As I said, good luck to you. We shall see.

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/24423-bullish-royal-caribbean-outlook-sends-cruise-stocks-surging.html

Dont put much faith in the stock market. Its not an indicator of good times more of a good indicator of irrational behaviour. 

19 hours ago, twangster said:

MSC did have some limited cruises that stayed within Italy initially but Royal can't sail these because the ships are not registered in the EU.

I believe all  MSC ships are registered in Panama  (and RCL in the Bahamas).

Edited by latserrof
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Pandamonia said:

Dont put much faith in the stock market. Its not an indicator of good times more of a good indicator of irrational behaviour. 

I very much doubt the average investor who plays the stock market realizes just how much of a iron hold the cdc has on cruising. It's never mentioned really on stock channels how much harder it is to resume cruises than say for a hotel chain to start recovering.

Bookings aren't profit unless the ship sails. A hotel can sell a room for a nonrefundable lower price and keep the money. My hotel for this sept is nonrefundable whereas if the cruiseline cancels I can move the money to another date. 

12 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

Grandiosa is registered in Malta

My first source -- huge  online cruise TA unmentionable -- says Panama, but further investigation seems to confirm Valetta, Malta.  Thx.

Edited by latserrof

45 minutes ago, Pandamonia said:

I believe that investors are a better indication than listening to random people on the internet. 😉

Have a good one, I think we've beaten this dead horse long enough. Goodbye.

1 hour ago, DCGuy64 said:

I believe that investors are a better indication than listening to random people on the internet. 😉

Have a good one, I think we've beaten this dead horse long enough. Goodbye.

Maybe investors are, however cruise lines are among the most actively traded stocks on Robinhood.  The Robinhoodies  aren't investors, just speculators who follow the hot money in search of the next GameStop..