RCG Business Update Call on Feb 22, 2021 - Things to Listen For

Almost forgot...

There has been communication with the CDC both at the executive level and with working groups.  The technical details are expected very soon meaning measured in days.  Those details involve multiple agencies within the federal government which has slowed their development.  

Edited by twangster
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, twangster said:

When a buyer for Empress and Majesty was identified the question about Cuba was asked.   They believe there are ships in the fleet that could sail into Havana if Cuba becomes available again.

A couple of years ago at a Captains corner (on one of the Oasis class ships)one of the questions was asked what the captains do about on going training.

The Captain (can't remember his name) shared that they do a lot of simulations at various ports similar to flight simulators.  He also shared that he was just in Miami practicing docking a Freedom class ship in Cuba

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Ourusualbeach said:

A couple of years ago at a Captains corner (on one of the Oasis class ships)one of the questions was asked what the captains do about on going training.

The Captain (can't remember his name) shared that they do a lot of simulations at various ports similar to flight simulators.  He also shared that he was just in Miami practicing docking a Freedom class ship in Cuba

I've longed considered what ships for Cuba to be a two part question.

1. Can they fit a ship into the port?
  2. Should they try to sail that ship into the port?

Just because it may be technically possible for certain ships to make it into a port they may experience higher missed port visits due to weather.

Voyager class can technically fit into Key West but the margins were too tight when the potential for winds were accounted for.  Getting into port in the morning but not being able to safely depart in higher winds later in the day for example.  

1 minute ago, twangster said:

I've longed considered what ships for Cuba to be a two part question.

1. Can they fit a ship into the port?
  2. Should they try to sail that ship into the port?

Just because it may be technically possible for certain ships to make it into a port they may experience higher missed port visits due to weather.

Voyager class can technically fit into Key West but the margins were too tight when the potential for winds were accounted for.  Getting into port in the morning but not being able to safely depart in higher winds later in the day for example.  

One other factor would be passenger capacity.  Do you need a ship that carries as many passengers as a VY or FR class even if it can fit.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ourusualbeach said:

As expected...no specific information on cancellations or resumption of cruising date.

Other than this one sentence:

"Update on Bookings
Booking activity for the second half of 2021 is aligned with the Company's anticipated resumption of cruising."

• Like 2

Fain just on CNBC (what the heck was he wearing?).  Basically danced around questions.  Asked why taking so long to restart he blamed the surge in cases.  Said that now that level of cases  is moderating they can start thinking about restart.  Refused to blame CDC.  Said people aren't afraid of catching Covid aboard ship.  More afraid others will catch it causing ship to be quarantined.  Said that's one of things healthy sail panel is working on, isolating identified cases to prevent them from spreading into outbreak.  He tried to tone down interviewers optimism on bookings saying they were only strong in comparison to weak numbers last winter.  Was comfortable with company's cash position and ability to obtain additional cash if needed.  

4 minutes ago, Baron Barracuda said:

Fain just on CNBC (what the heck was he wearing?).  Basically danced around questions.  Asked why taking so long to restart he blamed the surge in cases.  Said that now that level of cases  is moderating they can start thinking about restart.  Refused to blame CDC.  Said people aren't afraid of catching Covid aboard ship.  More afraid others will catch it causing ship to be quarantined.  Said that's one of things healthy sail panel is working on, isolating identified cases to prevent them from spreading into outbreak.  He tried to tone down interviewers optimism on bookings saying they were only strong in comparison to weak numbers last winter.  Was comfortable with company's cash position and ability to obtain additional cash if needed.  

He would make a good politician 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Baron Barracuda said:

Also, no direct answer on whether crew and passengers must be vaccinated.     I am sure their legal team is working out those details.    

Glad to hear they will be getting their technical orders from CDC in coming days.    All good news.   I wonder if we will be able to see what those technical orders include.

All restrictions are due to be removed in the UK by June and bans on international travel by May. All adults vaccinated by July. 

So if Harmony sails in the Med and they dont cancel there is no way im wearing a mask or doing any social distancing rubbish. I also dont want to lift and shift to the worn out none upgraded Allure in 2022. I expect a full cash refund.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Pandamonia said:

All restrictions are due to be removed in the UK by June and bans on international travel by May. All adults vaccinated by July. 

So if Harmony sails in the Med and they dont cancel there is no way im wearing a mask or doing any social distancing rubbish. I also dont want to lift and shift to the worn out none upgraded Allure in 2022. I expect a full cash refund.

If you will see cruises this summer it will only with "wearing a mask or doing any social distancing rubbish". Take it or leave it

• Like 2

7 hours ago, twangster said:

Imagine there is a course offered at a college called "Cruising 101".  

One the first day of class the professor announces to the class "In order to complete this class and apply for a certificate there will be a series of exercises and a test that you must complete before you can apply for your certificate.  Good luck students.  Goodbye."  

Then the professor leaves and is never heard from again. 

Months go by.

The students are all left struggling to understand how they are supposed to proceed.  The professor isn't responding to their inquiries.  The college isn't doing anything.  The students don't have enough information to prepare for the exercises or the test.  

That is where the cruise lines stand with the CDC.  

Mostly true with the exception that I don't think the students are trying too hard to get in touch with the professor.  Rather than do the actual hard work with it's associated risks just to break even, they'd rather sit back, relax, enjoy their parents (i.e. customers) money and wait for things to get better.

Just now, HBE4 said:

Mostly true with the exception that I don't think the students are trying too hard to get in touch with the professor.  Rather than do the actual hard work with it's associated risks just to break even, they'd rather sit back, relax, enjoy their parents (i.e. customers) money and wait for things to get better.

Yes, just what every business owner who has had their bar or restaurant shut down across America is doing.  Nice break from having to work.  Sure wish the government would shut us down more often.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, LXA350 said:

If you will see cruises this summer it will only with "wearing a mask or doing any social distancing rubbish". Take it or leave it

That person's view isn't even remotely representative of the average cruiser. Even a recent poll by Cruise Critic bears this out. Most people who participated said they'd cruise with the restrictions in place, as would I. (it's not like I don't already, anytime I drive anywhere, I have to bring masks with me). And I'd wager many who claim they'd never sail with a mask on, would.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, twangster said:

Yes, just what every business owner who has had their bar or restaurant shut down across America is doing.  Nice break from having to work.  Sure wish the government would shut us down more often.  

LOL If I owned a bar in NYC and Texas, my Texas bar would be open.  I didn't see Royal send ship to Italy to sail along MSC. What stopped them? Not the CDC.

30 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

I didn't see Royal send ship to Italy to sail along MSC. What stopped them? Not the CDC.

Royal built a new ship instead.  Odyssey will sail in Italy soon. 

MSC did have some limited cruises that stayed within Italy initially but Royal can't sail these because the ships are not registered in the EU.

Edited by twangster

4 minutes ago, twangster said:

Royal built a new ship instead.  Odyssey will sail in Italy soon. 

MSC did have some limited cruises that stayed within Italy initially but Royal can't sail these because the ships are registered in the EU.

Ahhh, got it. I might have overlooked  that little fun fact.

Thanks.

1 hour ago, DCGuy64 said:

That person's view isn't even remotely representative of the average cruiser. Even a recent poll by Cruise Critic bears this out. Most people who participated said they'd cruise with the restrictions in place, as would I. (it's not like I don't already, anytime I drive anywhere, I have to bring masks with me). And I'd wager many who claim they'd never sail with a mask on, would.

Thats hilarious because the average cruiser doesnt even know this forum exists which is likely more to be represented by the hard core cruise fan which would let RCCL do a rectal exam in order to board a ship. Any poll on here is worthless when the average Oasis class ship has 4000+ cruisers on a typical holiday. When land holidays dont have any where near the restrictions or chance of being quarantined in a tiny cabin for 2 weeks. Just wait till the reviews come in and they are terrible just like the trip advisor reviews of recent land holidays which have fallen below expectations. The reviews are savage if not entirely predictable. The cruise industry has all of this to come when they inevitably let people back on board who will be expecting some semblance of normality. 

Why do you think they are selling cruises without ANY of the mask and testing requirements in the adverts?

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Pandamonia said:

Thats hilarious because the average cruiser doesnt even know this forum exists which is likely more to be represented by the hard core cruise fan which would let RCCL do a rectal exam in order to board a ship. Any poll on here is worthless when the average Oasis class ship has 4000+ cruisers on a typical holiday. When land holidays dont have any where near the restrictions or chance of being quarantined in a tiny cabin for 2 weeks. Just wait till the reviews come in and they are terrible just like the trip advisor reviews of recent land holidays which have fallen below expectations. The reviews are savage if not entirely predictable. The cruise industry has all of this to come when they inevitably let people back on board who will be expecting some semblance of normality. 

Why do you think they are selling cruises without ANY of the mask and testing requirements in the adverts?

You're exactly right.

22 minutes ago, Pandamonia said:

Funny you say that, since crystal specifically cited a cruise critic poll when justifying their vaccine requirement to sail.

Editing to say I don't think you're wrong... I agree using a poll from cruise critic is questionable at best. Just remarking at the circumstances.

Edited by lizzius

4 hours ago, Baron Barracuda said:

Not just what the heck was he wearing but what's going on with his hair.  Here's a link to the interview. 

Royal Caribbean CEO sees correlation between cruise bookings and vaccination numbers

9 hours ago, lizzius said:

Funny you say that, since crystal specifically cited a cruise critic poll when justifying their vaccine requirement to sail.

Editing to say I don't think you're wrong... I agree using a poll from cruise critic is questionable at best. Just remarking at the circumstances.

Sounds like a clueless idiot running that company. Not for wanting vaccines but for actually thinking there is a way to prove you have had one in the first place. The logistics of vaccine certificates isnt a small task. The UK has 26% of people vaccinated and a target of 1 million per day. There is currently no way to prove you had a vaccine even if you did. 

13 hours ago, DCGuy64 said:

You would be well advised to wager a small bet.  I can assure you that I will not spend money to cruise on a ship that requires passengers to wear masks.  Unfortunately, until cruising returns to what is was in 2019, I will not book.

2 hours ago, lexxfield said:

You would be well advised to wager a small bet.  I can assure you that I will not spend money to cruise on a ship that requires passengers to wear masks.  Unfortunately, until cruising returns to what is was in 2019, I will not book.

And the data suggests yours is a minority view.

16 hours ago, Pandamonia said:

Lol even hotel reviews are down because of breakfast. Marriott advertised a nice hot breakfast. I stayed both directions driving to florida. Hot only on weekend, a microwaved omelette so so, tiny tangerine and a muffin. Week days a granola bar, and 2 bottles of water. The hotel was great and taking lots of precautions, and prices great vs normal  but having their food messed with, reviews way down. 

If food on a cruise isnt the same as buffets before, I think it will affect reviews and feedback and comp,paints.