USA renewal of GOES and TSA pre check

Emtbsam

Ours is supposed to expire in August, so I have begun the process to renew.  I filled out the form and paid the $100 but have been unable to schedule an appointment for either an in person or zoom interview.  There are no dates showing available into 2023.  Has anyone succeeded, and if so, how did you do it?

1 minute ago, Emtbsam said:

Ours is supposed to expire in August, so I have begun the process to renew.  I filled out the form and paid the $100 but have been unable to schedule an appointment for either an in person or zoom interview.  There are no dates showing available into 2023.  Has anyone succeeded, and if so, how did you do it?

ours don't expire for a year or two but i checked into it awhile back and the access site has changed since the trump adm took over. had to reconfigure. i don't think you have to do an interview again, just renew. did you look under homeland dept?

I applied in 2019, my interview was scheduled 10 months later then canceled because of Covid-19, now I am unable to reschedule, and I keep getting emails telling me "instead of scheduling an interview, I can just get an interview the next time I return from travel overseas", well that isn't much help since travel overseas is essentially banned.  Hopefully when travel is again permitted they won't tell me that my application has expired because I didn't do an interview! 

I just renewed mine and had to have the interview.  I went two weeks ago.  Drove to Orlando for it.  I too had been getting the 'no appointment', interview upon return from an International trip emails.  If you let yours expire, or try to renew within 6 months of its expiration date, you have to do the interview again.  I went online, paid the fees, then waited a few months for my interview.  Covid protocols were all in place, however you have to re-snap your photo for a new card if yours expired.  I mentioned my horrible hair was a result of Covid and that eventually, I was going to cut it short again, and asked if I would need to get a new photo.  The interviewer chuckled, and said, "everything is facial recognition now.  It doesn't matter what your hair looks like."   He was very friendly.  Haitian fellow and made it easy, breezy ... save for the drive to Orlando. 

Edited by Older Party

You do need an interview.  Here the email text I received after having my interview canceled due to COVID.  I received it on 14-Dec-20, but have not yet been able to schedule an interview at my local airport.  Hopefully some of the following is useful.

To: Global Entry initial applicants or renewal candidates:

Due to the continued response to the COVID 19 pandemic, the XXX Global Entry Enrollment Center will remain closed until at least 07 January 2021.

·        All applicants now have 730 days from the date of their conditional approval to complete the enrollment process.

You have access to your appointment status through your online account dashboard; it can be monitored there.

You are receiving this reminder message because your Global Entry Interview has previously been cancelled. You may reschedule an appointment through your Global Entry account as appointments become available. Alternatively, you may complete your interview “on arrival” (please see below).  Please refer to the website for openings. Please also note, appointments will not be available in Philadelphia until at least February 7th 2021.    https://www.cbp.gov/travel/trusted-traveler-programs/global-entry

Frequently asked questions:

·        Enrollment on Arrival is only available if you have arrived directly aboard an international flight from a foreign destination; this does not include pre-cleared arrivals.

·        Global Entry Interviews are not and cannot be completed virtually.

·        When appointments become available, Global Entry appointments can only be made online through your account once you are conditionally approved. An appointment will be required, once our enrollment center reopens. Applicants without appointments will not be seen.

·        You may reschedule your appointment on the Global Entry website; the same process as when you scheduled your initial appointment or renewal appointment. Link: https://www.cbp.gov/travel/trusted-traveler-programs/global-entry

·        The Global Entry Application Fee pays for your already completed background check since you are conditionally approved to make an appointment. Therefore, and as stated on the website prior to beginning your application, it is not refundable.

·        In response to the COVID-19 outbreak, CBP extended the period of time that Trusted Traveler Program applications remain active. All applicants now have 730 days from the date of their conditional approval to complete the enrollment process.

5 hours ago, crusinbanjo said:

I applied in 2019, my interview was scheduled 10 months later then canceled because of Covid-19, now I am unable to reschedule, and I keep getting emails telling me "instead of scheduling an interview, I can just get an interview the next time I return from travel overseas", well that isn't much help since travel overseas is essentially banned.  Hopefully when travel is again permitted they won't tell me that my application has expired because I didn't do an interview! 

We applied in the summer of 2019.   I received the authorization to schedule an appointment, but my husband was not approved until the end of 2020.   We do have appointments scheduled for May, (could have had them sooner, but May fits with our schedule.).  Now, on the website, I have 500+ days to complete the interview, my husband has 700+ days.   I wouln’t worry about the application expiring yet.

We tried to renew our GOES status in  early 2020. Filled out the application and paid our money. My husband received confirmation pending an interview. But all locations for interviews were closed down.  My application stayed in limbo until January 2021 when we received emails that we could set up our interviews. We have appointments next week at IAH, which is about 30 minutes from our house.

Friends that we travel with received a notice to renew in the spring, 0d 2020, completed the application, and received new cards about 2 weeks later with no interview.  I have no understanding of why we were treated differently . Like others have mentioned we continue to receive emails reminding us we could interview on return from our next trip, but prefer to go ahead and interview and have everything in order for when we are able to travel. 

17 hours ago, tipsygirl said:

We tried to renew our GOES status in  early 2020. Filled out the application and paid our money. My husband received confirmation pending an interview. But all locations for interviews were closed down.  My application stayed in limbo until January 2021 when we received emails that we could set up our interviews. We have appointments next week at IAH, which is about 30 minutes from our house.

Friends that we travel with received a notice to renew in the spring, 0d 2020, completed the application, and received new cards about 2 weeks later with no interview.  I have no understanding of why we were treated differently . Like others have mentioned we continue to receive emails reminding us we could interview on return from our next trip, but prefer to go ahead and interview and have everything in order for when we are able to travel. 

It could be that when you did your first, or at least latest, interview the office you went to didn’t have the newer facial recognition software when they took your picture.  Our last renewal the agent said the only reason we had been required to “interview” again was for that reason.   He took both my wife and I in at the same time and we were in and out of there in 10 minutes.   He implied that unless there was a change in our status (i.e., retirement, new job) or a change in the program we probably wouldn’t be asked to come in for our next renewal.  In as much as we good to go until February-March 2025 I’m not to concerned about it right now.   I’ll be happy just to be traveling again and hope I still can in 2025.   

Interesting thread. We originally got ours in 2013 and interviewed at JFK upon arrival home from Frankfurt (after waiting in a 1h line to clear immigration, it really drove home the point that we wanted GE badly!!).

We renewed in 2018 and it was a fast efficient process, all online, with no interview needed. Guess we'll see what happens in another 2 years when it's up for re-renewal.

I called and spoke to someone at the office.  She said that we would need an interview and that if I wanted to have an in-person one, I needed to keep checking back on the website.  Then she told me that the Zoom interviews are not functional yet despite what the website says.  Lastly she said that since we had applied prior to our expiration, we would have an additional 2 years to get the interview done!  I also subsequently received an email saying we could do the in person interview the next time we return to the country...not exactly what I want to do after a long flight.  I hope that they get there act together soon!

My DH renewed in Feb (last month). No interview, no new pictures. He just got his new card on the mail on Monday, easy peasy. And I tried to renew; initially tried a year ago, the site went down til June, then chaos, then they extended everyone... but they say I WILL need an interview. Grrr.

• 2 months later...

I just renewed a couple of days ago.  Opted for the Zoom interview.  No dates available in the calendar for the next year.  Notice said I had conditional approval but will be required to do an interview with 730 days. Works for me.  Hopefully I will have no problem at the airport in August.

I just realized last week that my Global Entry would expire at the end of June.  Applied for renewal online on 4/28 and received notification of approval on 4/30 - only 2 days! No interview needed. 

And already received credit from American Express for the renewal fee.

Edited by Dolcevita Diva
  • Thanks 1