Anyone else watching the "In Search of Italy" show with Stanley Tucci?

cruisemom42

Tonight's episode is set in Sicily. It sounds fantastic. It's also the last episode of the first season. :classic_sad:

On the plus side, I also just read that the series has been renewed -- but due to COVID, new episodes are unlikely until 2022.

• Like 2

Hi Cynthia, I can't believe I missed this whole thread!  You know I have been watching every

week too.😃.  it is hard to fathom that we are on the last episode.  We were in Rome 6 weeks

ago!

• Like 2

On 3/7/2021 at 2:06 PM, bennybear said:

Thankyou so much for this recommendation!  We watched our first one on Bologna last night and totally enjoyed it.  Really enjoyed the filming and  his mannerism and that the show is about Italy rather than about the  host. 

We spent several days in this area a few years ago and fell in love,  Parma, Cremona,  Marinello, driving a Ferrari, Modena,  Lambrusco, the Balsamic museum .... we ran out of time and never made it into Bologna even though we were staying within 10 miles.   It was such a Delight to revisit,  so much so that we decided we must go in person when things open also to Bologna.  

7341F22A-DF51-4225-A71B-77E93209B52C.jpeg

EBB813F5-A1CF-4EF0-BECF-709E3EDE30C3.jpeg

C337B36E-AF82-4D76-BAB6-F8664AD39927.jpeg

C7D5BF79-C3DD-463F-B13B-556E1011318D.jpeg

0F997D11-46C6-42E7-A96B-D9914AD8C104.jpeg

D72EE8E2-EBAF-4921-A8AA-00757D16F4B4.jpeg

6B2DF624-50F1-4D3A-B7B0-03315158D86E.jpeg

76FEAEE7-8679-4FE6-8514-57B9F1856EE7.jpeg

0E29A9B0-794F-4968-8A06-B3C11CA47F89.jpeg

Thank you for sharing all these photos with us......loving them!😃

• Like 1

On 3/15/2021 at 12:42 PM, bennybear said:

Enjoyed the Tuscany one,  who knew those were wine doors?   I think I would prefer to eat at the more local festival.   Agree with Stanley on the Tuscan bread, unless it’s in Bruschetta.  

The show conjures so many great memories.   We ate in a restaurant in Florence where Michelangelo had eaten, hard to believe these places are in business for centuries and DD was so impressed when they deboned her trout table side.  DS tried the Amazing beef,   And DH had the best pasta he had eaten.  All our best food memories are in Italy or Japan.  

We can’t wait for the one on Sicily! 

Hi Bennybear, I agree about the choice of festivals......the one with the "regular folks" looks

like it would be much more fun!  I was in Florence for the first time back in 2017.....omg,

has to be one of my favorite places now.........I visited other parts of Italy previously but 

had never been to Florence....now I want to go back again (and again)..........

• Like 1

This show has been great. Really enjoying all of the episodes. Love the mix of places he visits - not all fancy restaurants - both fancy and simple places. Love to see the gusto and pride that everyone puts into the food that they make. 

The series inspired us to make a trek to Eataly (in NY City) last weekend to stock up on a few staples. I couldn't find the cheese from the Milan region but I found some other Alpine-style cheeses from that area and we have been enjoying them. But yeah, we are really ready to get back to Italy. Our May cruise (now canceled) was supposed to make a lot of stops there... Some day!

• Like 1

So, who else is ready to go back to Italy? Loved last night's episode🙂. I would love to meet

the gal who is running her own winery!

• Like 1

We were fortunate to visit Sicily fall 2019.   We fell in love with Ortygia and Noto and we’re fortunate to attend a wine tasting of Nero di Avila!  One of the highlights was the market and local restaurants in Ortyiga and the amazing pasticceria in Noto that was featured on Chefs table.   Would love to go back and spend a lot longer.  

C2FE9EB1-EE8C-4917-A903-BFBE8F5E365A.jpeg

47461C93-C1B9-4C4E-8D32-668D375600C5.jpeg

AB2249C2-6FD8-4685-94D3-71D70C4F67B9.jpeg

B9D62984-2F4D-4158-9805-4C86D6576877.jpeg

80CB2683-1396-4953-81B4-8D4C5A2C5615.jpeg

6D415215-A3BD-420C-8473-AC3775D838D7.jpeg

AC903B11-79C6-4109-B209-95AE0A3A0B01.jpeg

F29B6E49-0CEB-43A9-980F-90028DC1D0B8.jpeg

5169CC02-E854-4E8D-BF3E-873832E33DA7.jpeg

F9D7D25D-D7A5-49E6-A0DE-7A0A2D37D688.jpeg

C3CC75DB-5A72-4E1D-9937-0EA21EDB9249.jpeg

Edited by bennybear
  • Like 2

@bennybear Your gorgeous photos are almost like being there!

I have been to Sicily a number of times, always doing just a bit at a time. I would like to do a longer stay there, sometime when it is not miserably hot though...

@Lois R  I also liked the part about the organic winery. I'm familiar with Nero d'Avila but now I am going to have to hunt for some of the Frappato di Vittoria that she makes.

Here is the info:

https://primalwine.com/products/il-frappato-arianna-occhipinti-natural-wine

• Like 1

@bennybear - I am not a foodie (although Italian food is my favorite cuisine) - historical sites are what most ring my bell. However, your photos are amazing - I particularly like your photos of Syracuse Cathedral, San Domenico Church & the Ferrari (driving that must have been so much fun). Do you mind if I ask what camera you use?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, dogs4fun said:

@bennybear - I am not a foodie (although Italian food is my favorite cuisine) - historical sites are what most ring my bell. However, your photos are amazing - I particularly like your photos of Syracuse Cathedral, San Domenico Church & the Ferrari (driving that must have been so much fun). Do you mind if I ask what camera you use?

Thank you!  Mostly we use our iPhone,  that year was an 8.  Sad story, DH had just got a new Nikon with a crazy zoom, that he dropped in Meteora so we couldn’t use it the rest of the trip.  

You can rent a Ferrari in Marinello for a time limited by only your finances but it was an absolute blast!  

The other cathedral was San Nicholas in Noto , we lucked out with the light.  

So agree about the Italian food,  one of our favourite stories was when we stopped in a small rest stop in Southern Italy and split a lunch, pasta, and meat.   They insisted we have some wine and gave us a half bottle!  Only in Italia!  We find the simplest meals often the best!  

• Like 1

On 3/23/2021 at 11:01 AM, marazul said:

Cruisemom - have you tried La Reginella for carciofi?  I may have to add this one to the list. 

No I have not but it is now also on my list. Luckily there is always a "next visit" to be planned....😉

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Lovely photos, Bennybear. I am watching the Bologna episode as I type. Watching this show is like having a crush and just hoping to catch a glimpse of the object of your love. Though I enjoy the foodie aspect, I enjoy it most for the scenery - hill towns, piazzas, sculptures, vineyards....

The last time I traveled, I sandwiched an Azamara Italy intensive cruise between two weeks on each side traveling independently. Looking forward to the next similar travel plans that will take me around Italy and up through the Dolomiti into Austria and Switzerland

I am tragically in love.

• Like 1

On 4/9/2021 at 10:39 PM, Worldsurfer said:

I am tragically in love.

Welcome to Italy lovers anonymous. There is no cure.

Due to my love of Italy I have made trips to the region every year that I can (luckily I got my 2020 trip in early, with a stay in Campania in February when the weather is delightful and the crowds nonexistent, but 2021 is looking grim). I have also learned Italian and have been making plans for the last decade to spend significant time there post-retirement.

While I do enjoy the food, for me it is about the history, the ancient sites, museums, art, and primary research sources.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Sigh!  There a few of us so afflicted!  This whole country has gotten under my skin and into my soul!  I love the people,  never have I met such warm people.  On the train from Rome to Chiusi,  an Italian woman who spoke no English chatted to us via some Aussies with Italian heritage,  so friendly!  We have been shown many kindnesses over the years!  Then there’s the food and the history and the scenery and the amazing wines and Italian Linens and leather......

this is not a once and done!  

• Like 1