When do you think SB will resume cruising and when will you feel safe cruising?

SLSD

I recognize that we are still in the conjecture corner, but I am curious.  When do you think Seabourn will resume cruising?  Maybe you have inside information, a better understanding of infectious disease science, or just a hunch.  As an add on question--when will YOU personally feel safe to cruise?  As for Mr. SLSD and myself, we are both now fully vaccinated (him Moderna, me Pfizer) and we are looking forward to cruising again.  Our inclination is to let others, who are very anxious to cruise very soon, go first.  There are some things to consider.  Would you be willing to cruise if you still had to wear a mask in all public venues?  Would you be willing to cruise, if a number of ports still would not allow the cruise passengers in their ports?  Would you be willing to cruise if you could not fraternize with fellow cruisers and congregating in the Observation Lounge was discouraged and dining with others was not an option?  I'm interested in all of your responses.  We are all in the same boat, so to speak, but have different perceptions of what is safe or what we could enjoy if there were limitations imposed. An addition, do you think vaccination would be required for all passengers.  

• Like 1

In answer to your questions:

No

No

No/No

I think that cruiselines may require vaccinations for all guests/crew but who knows.  
I don’t know if all cruiselines need “test cruises” before resuming service but if these have to be done I would think we would see some movement there if cruises were to resume in May/June.   I am thinking 3rd quarter 2021 before cruises start in any meaningful way.

• Like 1

I'm guessing that Seabourn's return to service will be phased in starting late third quarter this year.  The voyages that will be first to go may be in the Adriatic and Aegean.  Greece is opening up to  some cruise ships starting this summer;  RCL Odyssey is offering cruises from Haifa, Israel to Greece and Crete.  Israel has been particularly successful in its vaccine roll out and therefore its citizens are being welcomed to visit.  Maybe I'm being overly optimistic since we are booked on the Ovation in mid Sept.and also in Jan 2022.

Regarding feeling safe, both my DH and I are fully vaccinated.  We still wear masks when out and about which mostly involves grocery store curbside pick up.  We did have dinner at a patio restaurant last weekend but we were the only guests there (Greenville, SC.)  We would feel safe on a ship now if everyone including crew were vaccinated.  

Regarding masks on a cruise; I guess we would  board a ship with those restrictions.   We'll evaluate once final payments are due.  We typically keep to ourselves on board so the mingling restrictions are not a big deal.  

Regarding port visit restrictions I guess we'd be OK with Seabourn excursions.

Here's hoping for cruising this year.  Can't believe we haven't been on a ship since January 2020 when we left the Quest after the 24 day Antarctica Holiday cruise.

Scheduled for my first vaccine/dose in a month - DW still waiting for her age group to be called up!

Would definitely love to cruise in the fall - we would be vaccinated by then and would only sail if all crew and passengers are required to be vaccinated. Where that may be - is anyone's guess at this point !

Not sure how I feel about a mask on vacation - here in the tri-state mask wearing is a MUST - in fact the only time I see someone without one on is a rare occasion when I am outside running on the weekend which is why I think the numbers in the NY area are holding steady. Do I want to be on vacation and have to wear one on board or getting off a ship....not really. Time will tell for all of us when we will be back on board - most important thing is that the lines don't rush back and end up with an outbreak on board a sailing.

8 hours ago, offtoalaska said:

Here's hoping for cruising this year.  Can't believe we haven't been on a ship since January 2020 when we left the Quest after the 24 day Antarctica Holiday cruise.

Well, if your last cruise turns out to be your last cruise, at least you bowed out in style.

I think it will be quite a while before cruising resumes. Countries are simply not interested in welcoming hordes of travellers, vaccinated or not, given continued uncertainties around whether or not vaccinated people can spread certain (newer) strains of the virus. Furthermore, many European countries are still in a hard lock down with all non essential services closed. Australia and New Zealand have told their airlines not to schedule any long haul flights before 31 October. I’m hopeful for Christmas but that’s about it. Still waiting for Seabourn to cancel our 5 June Sojourn cruise. 

7 hours ago, florisdekort said:

Still waiting for Seabourn to cancel our 5 June Sojourn cruise. 

Assume you saw this (on the website and also posted on their Facebook page) -

Updates On Seabourn’s Global Ship Operations

SEATTLE, February 24, 2021  Seabourn, the ultra-luxury cruise line, is maintaining its optimism for the ultimate restart of travel while, in the meantime, continuing to take a practical approach in extending its current operational pause. As a result of the Canadian Transport Ministry’s Interim Order that closed Canadian ports and waters to passenger vessels, the brand is cancelling its 2021 Alaska/British Columbia departures.

15 hours ago, zelker said:

Assume you saw this (on the website and also posted on their Facebook page) -

Updates On Seabourn’s Global Ship Operations

SEATTLE, February 24, 2021  Seabourn, the ultra-luxury cruise line, is maintaining its optimism for the ultimate restart of travel while, in the meantime, continuing to take a practical approach in extending its current operational pause. As a result of the Canadian Transport Ministry’s Interim Order that closed Canadian ports and waters to passenger vessels, the brand is cancelling its 2021 Alaska/British Columbia departures.

Thank you! Yes I saw that. Our sailing is from Lisbon to Amsterdam. Seabourn informed us yesterday that they have not yet made a final decision and are therefore pushing our final payment by 5 weeks. 

3 hours ago, florisdekort said:

Thank you! Yes I saw that. Our sailing is from Lisbon to Amsterdam. Seabourn informed us yesterday that they have not yet made a final decision and are therefore pushing our final payment by 5 weeks. 

My bad.  For some reason I had it in my head that Sojourn was sailing Alaska this summer but it's Odyssey that was supposed to be up there.  In any case, glad they moved out the final payment date and hopefully you'll know one way or the other by then.  

My thoughts:  I would be willing to wear a mask on board but there are 2 deal breakers for me:  We like DIY in most ports, so if all PAX must tour in a cruise-organized group, we would not be interested in any port-intensive cruise.  Second, we love the conviviality aboard Seabourn, and if that is discouraged by restricting dining groups, distancing in the bars, etc., traveling on Seabourn would not be the same for us, so we would not be interested.  With all such restrictions, I suppose we could live with a short TA, but that's about it.  And then there are possible restrictions on embarking and disembarking.

We have TAs booked for December, 2021 on another line, and I am getting more and more discouraged about that possibility and am actively researching land-based alternative travel, for that time period.  I am hopeful that there will be some sort of cruising possible in 2022.  And yes, we are fully vaccinated, a reason for hope.

Tom

We are booked on a Nov 6, Lisbon to Miami (we live in Miami).  As of now, Portugal is not  allowing tourist to fly or drive into the country.  Obviously, that could change.  The CDC will be coming out with a new recommendation in another month or so, but I doubt they will be opening up the ports any time soon.

We are both vaccinated (getting our second shot next week).  I am not sure if I would be comfortable going on the cruise if I knew that not everyone was vaccinated.  If we have to wear facemarks outside of our cabin, I could deal with that, but it's the ability to socialize and meet other people that I am concerned about.  I love my husband, but if I wanted to eat 12 dinners with just him, I could stay home.  We know two other couples on this particular cruise.  One from England and one from the states.  The two couples do not know each other.  If we were not able to eat a meal with them or be together at the 4pm Tea, I doubt we would be cruising.  And, what about the shows, Trivia and lectures?  Without that and socialization I would be happier staying home and binging a new show on Netflix.

• Like 3

On 3/3/2021 at 3:33 AM, SLSD said:

I recognize that we are still in the conjecture corner, but I am curious.  When do you think Seabourn will resume cruising? 

Maybe you have inside information, a better understanding of infectious disease science, or just a hunch.  As an add on question--when will YOU personally feel safe to cruise?  As for Mr. SLSD and myself, we are both now fully vaccinated (him Moderna, me Pfizer) and we are looking forward to cruising again.  Our inclination is to let others, who are very anxious to cruise very soon, go first.  There are some things to consider.  Would you be willing to cruise if you still had to wear a mask in all public venues?  Would you be willing to cruise, if a number of ports still would not allow the cruise passengers in their ports?  Would you be willing to cruise if you could not fraternize with fellow cruisers and congregating in the Observation Lounge was discouraged and dining with others was not an option?  I'm interested in all of your responses.  We are all in the same boat, so to speak, but have different perceptions of what is safe or what we could enjoy if there were limitations imposed. An addition, do you think vaccination would be required for all passengers.  

Don't know when they'll re-start cruising. 
I would have felt safe cruising at any point since the whole thing started because I've felt that the risk to us at our ages were negligible. I take more risk cycling on the roads here. I would agree for many people who are older than us it's a legitimate concern. The only 'risk' which would have bothered me is being stuck on the ship due to docking limitations, not from the disease
No I would not cruise if I had to wear a mask. Since that became mandatory here in Singapore I've barely left the house (except to exercise) as I loathe wearing a mask. I cannot imagine enjoying a cruise or any other leisure activity having to wear one of those things. 
If ports wouldn't let passengers disembark I wouldn't expect a cruise line to go to them.
Nope if I couldn't fraternize with other passengers I wouldn't cruise and if dining was just the two of us every night that would remove one of the main drivers for cruising which is to meet people from around the world. 

As the world begins to open up we will take vacations to the first places which don't impose mask, social distancing or quarantine restrictions (and when we can return home without similar quarantine issues). That to us is what will make leisure activities actually enjoyable; when cruises are like that, we'll be back on a ship the next day. 

Edited by rols

Before I cruise, what I want to know is what happens if a case is detected on board as vaccinated people can still get or carry the virus - symptoms are just a lot milder.  If each time that happens a cruise gets cut short and everybody is booted off in the nearest port, I’m out. 

• Like 5

I've read a few articles which say that some ports are not anxious to allow cruise ships again.  They are beginning to examine the fact that only a relatively few people in their port benefit from ships docking at their port. This would be a likely time for ports like Venice to just close to cruise ships altogether. 

• Like 1

Hi SLSD, it's good to hear from you (and the other posters on the thread too!).

I can't answer your question I'm afraid.
We haven't had a holiday of any type for over a year, not even a weekend away close to home.

Three days ago we were all set to book Antartica at the end of this  year. The very next day we both agreed that for us, the time isn't right to book any leisure travel.  

8 hours ago, florisdekort said:

Before I cruise, what I want to know is what happens if a case is detected on board as vaccinated people can still get or carry the virus - symptoms are just a lot milder.  If each time that happens a cruise gets cut short and everybody is booted off in the nearest port, I’m out. 

More likely I think would be that the ship and all passengers and crew will be quarantined for two weeks or until everyone tests negative.  Apart from abrupt cancellations of ports of call, this is the big risk about taking or booking any sort of cruise.

Edited by Fletcher

From Seabourn's latest protocols (which doesn't lead me to believe that they plan to necessarily quarantine everyone for 14 days).  Of course this is all still a work in progress.

Medical Capabilities icon

MEDICAL CAPABILITY
A risk-based response plan is in place to manage medical needs, including dedicated suites allocated for isolation and other operational measures on board, and advance arrangements have been made with private providers for quarantine accommodation, medical care and transportation ashore.

Emergency icon

EMERGENCY RESPONSE IN CASE OF INFECTION
For your peace of mind, a rigorous emergency response plan has been prepared to screen and isolate ill person(s) when necessary; trace, notify and isolate their contacts and arrange for medical evacuation if necessary.

7 hours ago, Isklaar said:

Hi SLSD, it's good to hear from you (and the other posters on the thread too!).

I can't answer your question I'm afraid.
We haven't had a holiday of any type for over a year, not even a weekend away close to home.

Three days ago we were all set to book Antartica at the end of this  year. The very next day we both agreed that for us, the time isn't right to book any leisure travel.  

We haven't taken a trip during the last 12 months either.  We just now entered a grocery store for the first time in a year--as we are finally fully vaccinated.  Our first trips will probably be domestic--and even these trips are not on the horizon yet.  We have no desire to fly halfway around the world to find ourselves quarantined on a ship.  I'm guessing cruising will not be until 2023 for us.  It does make me sad as we are not getting younger.  Mr. SLSD is turning 70 next month and I am a year behind him.  Hopefully, we will still have good traveling years ahead of us--but of course, there are no guarantees.  

• Like 1

Its been almost a year since we got off the Soujourn in Perth , and although it was a very difficult time, we were probably the safest people in the world. I have a booking for Rome to Rome for July that looks like its has a 15% chance of actually happening, and a March Taipei to Singapore trip that looks like 60/40 right now. 

I have an appointment for an appointment for a vaccine for April, and was lucky enough to get the virus last month while actually contacting about 6 people over nine months. 

That said, cruise ships will start in Florida with trips to nowhere, but the world needs vaccines prior to us traveling the world again. I'm guessing North Americans will be vaccinated by the end of June, but for us world travellers, we're not going anywhere unless the port cities are 60% vaccinated, and that looks like 2022. 

If nothing else, planning just became so much more interesting, as none of us have any idea of which trip will go and which will not, but when they let us go, and when we are allowed to go back on board, we will appreciate all the great times we had and how lucky we were,   to be able to have travelled the world the way we were allowed to was very special. 

Let's all simply hope the vaccination programs go well, the variants get controlled, and Seabourn and the other great lines are still around to take us where we want to go. 

I gather your vaccine certificate number will be the next thing we need to register with the cruise line, can't wait. 

15 hours ago, zelker said:

From Seabourn's latest protocols (which doesn't lead me to believe that they plan to necessarily quarantine everyone for 14 days).  Of course this is all still a work in progress.

Medical Capabilities icon

MEDICAL CAPABILITY
A risk-based response plan is in place to manage medical needs, including dedicated suites allocated for isolation and other operational measures on board, and advance arrangements have been made with private providers for quarantine accommodation, medical care and transportation ashore.

Emergency icon

EMERGENCY RESPONSE IN CASE OF INFECTION
For your peace of mind, a rigorous emergency response plan has been prepared to screen and isolate ill person(s) when necessary; trace, notify and isolate their contacts and arrange for medical evacuation if necessary.

Seabourn can write as many protocols as they like but it’s what local governments do (or here in Australia even state governments) what matters.  I’m pretty sure that if a ship would carry even one guest with Covid, even if quarantined in a special suite, docking would be denied in Queensland, Victoria, etc. 

12 hours ago, westmount said:

I gather your vaccine certificate number will be the next thing we need to register with the cruise line, can't wait.

What vaccine certificate number?  The card we got here, at least where we live in the US, is just filled in by hand by the nurse with our name, birthday,  vaccine manufacturer, and location and dates administered. 

• Like 1

Our final payment for a Mid/Late June cruise in the Norwegian Fjords is due this Thursday.  My wife is convinced this cruise will be cancelled - I am hoping that they just push out the final payment for a number of weeks until they decide vs. taking it and then the hassle and time of getting everything square again if it is cancelled.  We may not even have had our shots by the time we would leave on this cruise, and I have to believe that will be a requirement.  Anyone have any thoughts on what happens when a requirement like that is made and some people cannot get their vaccinations in time due to the phasing rules?

where we live, they are doing the second vaccines four months after the first one, as they are trying to get as many people as possible the first dose. In the world of catch 22, cruise lines won't take people until they have full doses, and a proper document that you have received them. Since that will be hard to follow, they will wait until 2022 for International cruises, as the summer is going to come and go quickly and Canada has cancelled the eat coast for cruises this fall, so I'm sure its not happening until 2022, and probably;ly a good thing. 

I'm sure there will be cruises from  Florida to nowhere, or islands controlled by the cruise lines, and that will be a good start to get things going. With fingers crossed, lets presume most "older" people will be vaccinated by July , so Sept seems a decent time for cruises to get started, and world cruises starting in January look like they have a decent chance. 

That said, we're not allowed to a restaurant yet, or the gym, etc, so I guess we take it one day at a time, and while crazy to think we want to get back on a ship, we all know the world will be a safer place once they say its ok for us to go.