Back 2 Back cruises questions

deec

We are doing 3 consecutive cruises......Santiago, Chile to Bergen and then 8 additional days to end in Amsterdam.  The last had to be a separate booking and  strangely enough we had to PAY the $100/pp deviation charge to fly home from Amsterdam rather than the more expensive Bergen :(.

My question is WHAT happens on turn over days....can we just go out and about on our own?  We will be in the same cabin.  Will we be able to book excursion as soon as the first cruise is available or must we wait for our LOW priority for each cruise?

• Like 1

What happens on TAR days really depends on the local authorities and how they clear the ship. On many B2B, we have had new cards delivered to the cabin the day before, with a request we leave the ship on the old card and return with the new card. No restrictions on going ashore.

However, we have also experienced ports that require a zero count, so "In Transit" pax had to disembark and remain off the ship until all pax had disembark.

Cabin selection - provided you haven't booked a GTY Cabin, you should be able to book the same cabin. We did this when we booked a B2B for the first 2 cruises of Viking Mars.

Shore-ex - they combined both cruises onto the same booking number, so the itinerary showed as a single cruise. Shore-ex opened for both cruises on the same day.

• Thanks 1

The first half of the Ultimate World Cruise ended last January was, in effect, a string of BtoBtoB etc. cruises.  Every turnaround day we could do as we wish.  We had our bookings and tickets for each segment delivered at turnaround.  As far as booking, you know how it is different once onboard as compared to booking on MVJ.  We never had any issues dealing with the travel folks talking about and booking things in advance of the next segment.  So far, our normal is book when we can on MVJ then when on board really decide what we want.  Sure hope we can get back to Viking the way it was (or close) to 2018 when we met y'all.🍸

• Like 1

We were able to get off at will and, strangely enough, they didn't make us go to the safety drill the second time. We DID have to reregister our credit card at guest services. We were able to book all of our excursions as soon as booking for the first cruise opened up, however, our second cruise was the same booking number. It was nice booking all of the 5 weeks at one time. Our next cruise we have different booking numbers for the first and second cruise, so I doubt that we will be able to book early. We had to have different booking numbers because the second cruise was offering free air. In order to get that, we had to have the first cruise a different booking and pay the deviation to fly into Rome instead of Barcelona. If that makes sense.

55 minutes ago, stretchcruz said:

We were able to get off at will and, strangely enough, they didn't make us go to the safety drill the second time. We DID have to reregister our credit card at guest services. We were able to book all of our excursions as soon as booking for the first cruise opened up, however, our second cruise was the same booking number. It was nice booking all of the 5 weeks at one time. Our next cruise we have different booking numbers for the first and second cruise, so I doubt that we will be able to book early. We had to have different booking numbers because the second cruise was offering free air. In order to get that, we had to have the first cruise a different booking and pay the deviation to fly into Rome instead of Barcelona. If that makes sense.

Good explanation on why we had 2 different booking numbers on our ROM-BCN-SJN itinerary! 

I was wondering what Barcelona will do, however.  Sounds like we won't know for sure until we get close, given the various options that Andy related quite well.   We have the same cabin fortunately.  A lot may depend on how Spain is this November 2021.  Normally we would think we'd take an independent tour that transition day (like Barcelona Day Tours which we loved before), but Viking may restrict to Viking only excursions and I will bet they might not have any on a transition day with people leaving and people arriving, even if some are just staying.  Will be interesting to see!   I hope we get to sail!   At least with 2 booking numbers and the free air on the 2nd (TA) cruise, if for some reason they cancel the ROM-BCN portion, we might still get the TA portion accomplished!

We have a B2B2B from Athens to Buenos Aires scheduled for Nov 2021, where we are considering adding the South American part (again).

With the first, we are in the same cabin and that cruise is booked under 1 booking number.  When I contacted my Viking rep about adding the SA segment, he suggested we’d do better booking it under a separate booking number to avoid losing the perks we got for the first part.  He’s already told us we’d need to move cabins for that part.
I need to talk to DH to find out how he feels about adding 18 days onto a 36 day cruise (and adding another hunk of $$ to a cruise that is already paid in full). 

1 hour ago, CCWineLover said:

Viking may restrict to Viking only excursions and I will bet they might not have any on a transition day

On itineraries that are actually B2Bs they try to offer tours on turn around day BUT they don't list them on MVJ because they are only available for B2B guests You can sign up for them on board.

"Tellus" should be able to get an answer for you if they will be offered on your particular sailing.

3 hours ago, deec said:

PAY the $100/pp deviation charge to fly home from Amsterdam rather than the more expensive Bergen :(.

Deviation fee is charged anytime you don't arrive or depart with the rest of the crowd -- and you are lucky, they could be charging you a stopover fee as well.

Edited by Peregrina651

19 minutes ago, Peregrina651 said:

On itineraries that are actually B2Bs they try to offer tours on turn around day BUT they don't list them on MVJ because they are only available for B2B guests You can sign up for them on board.

"Tellus" should be able to get an answer for you if they will be offered on your particular sailing.

Thanks!  Great to know this tidbit.  Shall do so.

Again, since this is in Nov 2021, a lot will depend on what the situation is vis a vis bubbles, excursions, and more.

3 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

Oh, thanks for that information. We have scheduled two different back to back cruises for 2022, and know there is a turn around day in Rome that doesn't show any excursions. I have started researching some on our own options, but it's good to know there may be Viking excursions.

3 hours ago, lackcreativity said:

Oh, thanks for that information. We have scheduled two different back to back cruises for 2022, and know there is a turn around day in Rome that doesn't show any excursions. I have started researching some on our own options, but it's good to know there may be Viking excursions.

We had a turn around day with an overnight in Rome. I was original planning to do Ostia (old seaport for Rome at the mouth of the Tiber) on day 2 with Viking and we were going to go to Tarquina to see the Estruscan Necropolis on our own.  We did not want to go into Rome particularly have spent time there already. Once we boarded, we found out that they were offering tours for the B2B on turn around day. We ended up changing our plans and toured both Ostia and Tarquina with Viking.  Glad we did Tarquina with Viking because the necropolis is outside of town a bit and I am not sure how we would have gotten from the bus station to the necropolis and then back into town to see the archeology museum. Much less hassle, more relaxing letting Viking handle the logistics. Once we got into town, we ditched the guide and wander the museum and surrounding area on our own.

11 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

We ended up changing our plans and toured both Ostia and Tarquina with Viking.  Glad we did Tarquina with Viking because the necropolis is outside of town a bit and I am not sure how we would have gotten from the bus station to the necropolis and then back into town to see the archeology museum. Much less hassle, more relaxing letting Viking handle the logistics. Once we got into town, we ditched the guide and wander the museum and surrounding area on our own.

I would really love to see Civita di Bagnoregio or Hardrian's Villa, and it is hard to pass on Rome (a personal favorite) even for just a day, but all involve long travel time. This is a 15 day trip with no sea days, so I think it best to plan some shorter excursions.

Our schedule has a long day in Civitavecchia ( 7 AM to 11 PM, I think), but not an overnight. If you had to choose only one of Ostia and Tarquinia, did you have a favorite? I am hoping by 2022 we may be able to have some freedom to wander on our own! 

22 minutes ago, lackcreativity said:

I would really love to see Civita di Bagnoregio or Hardrian's Villa, and it is hard to pass on Rome (a personal favorite) even for just a day, but all involve long travel time. This is a 15 day trip with no sea days, so I think it best to plan some shorter excursions.

Our schedule has a long day in Civitavecchia ( 7 AM to 11 PM, I think), but not an overnight. If you had to choose only one of Ostia and Tarquinia, did you have a favorite? I am hoping by 2022 we may be able to have some freedom to wander on our own! 

I loved them both but Roman ruins are easier to come by, so go for the Etruscan ruins.

Before you go, get your hands on the "Great Courses" audio about the Etruscans. I found it Audible a few years ago.

XFLM3wJ5qebI'm trying to share a link to my Tarquinia album. No idea if it took or not. Won't know until I hit submit.

Update: It took, twice. that link won't work. Let me try this https://link.shutterfly.com/XFLM3wJ5qeb

XFLM3wJ5qebXFLM3wJ5qebhttps://link.shutterfly.com/XFLM3wJ5qebhttps://link.shutterfly.com/XFLM3wJ5qeb

Edited by Peregrina651
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

I loved them both but Roman ruins are easier to come by, so go for the Etruscan ruins.

Before you go, get your hands on the "Great Courses" audio about the Etruscans. I found it Audible a few years ago.

XFLM3wJ5qebI'm trying to share a link to my Tarquinia album. No idea if it took or not. Won't know until I hit submit.

Update: It took, twice. that link won't work. Let me try this https://link.shutterfly.com/XFLM3wJ5qeb

Sounds like an excellent suggestion. Thanks for the photos. Eutruscan tombs and an Italian hill town. Can't go wrong!