The Daily for Monday Mar 08, 2021

richwmn

It was June, 2013, and the Ryndam with Captain Werner Timmers pulled into Hammerfest, Norway with us onboard.  We were on a 14 day itinerary RT out of Dover.  Hammerfest, considering the title as the northernmost city of not just Norway, but the world, was actually very delightful.  It was cold by this Floridian's recollection, but there was sun and that makes all the difference.  After Hammerfest, the Ryndam continued on to Honingsvag which was  noticably smaller.  There, a German man who was there to see his Norwegian girlfriend, told us that the two communities argued over who was the "Northernmost City" and gave examples of mostly young men pulling pranks on the opposing places for the title.  Norway, the country, doesn't consider a village a city unless it is 5000 citizens and littler Honingsvag is only about half that.  You decide!  Both places were special to me and I am glad I got to experience both.

The Ryndam had a similiar port experience in Honingsvag as mentioned earlier today.  We were able to dock on arrival, but then had to move to allow Hurtigruten the dock.  We were back onboard, but some tours that were later had to tender back to the ship.

• Like 12

4 hours ago, dfish said:

Second jab done!  Pedicure in two weeks!

OMG...I had my first jab yesterday and I'm also just so anxious for a pedi.  For some reason, I'm okay with pulling back a ponytail and forgetting about my hair, but my feet want TLC!

Actually, the vaccination day was very emotional.  So much bucking up over the past year, and then our vaccination center was so organized, with many volunteers welcoming and guiding people along, and smiling and encouraging.  It made me proud and tears welled up.  It's been such a year!

@Sharon in AZ, your lamb looks wonderful!  For months I've been craving lamb shanks, which my mother used to make in an excellent way, and for some reason they don't sell them in our groceries anymore.  I finally ordered some mail-order and they arrived this week.  Can't wait to prepare them.  Yum!

@rafinmd, good luck with your health procedures.  Prayers go with you!

Many best wishes to all other Dailyites.  Things are looking better every day!  😍

• Like 14

19 minutes ago, AncientWanderer said:

@Sharon in AZ, your lamb looks wonderful!  For months I've been craving lamb shanks, which my mother used to make in an excellent way, and for some reason they don't sell them in our groceries anymore.  I finally ordered some mail-order and they arrived this week.  Can't wait to prepare them.  Yum!

We love lamb shanks also and I have tried many recipes. What recipe do you use?

• Like 5

47 minutes ago, Sharon in AZ said:

We love lamb shanks also and I have tried many recipes. What recipe do you use?

Just brown the shanks and put in a dutch oven with minced very, very fine carrots, celery, onion, garlic and rosemary; some tomato paste and red wine; cover and cook about three hours in a slow oven.  Vague recipe, but you can't go wrong.  We always serve it with rice and the sauce from the pot.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

14 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you for the Monday Daily, Rich.  I hope our Canadians are celebrating Commonwealth Day.  I hope to pass on Be Nasty Day.  A salute to International Women's Day.  The quote is interesting.  Another Norwegian port I have not visited.  The meal looks interesting.  My alternative is Chilled Pineapple Pina Colada, Pineapple Glazed Ham, and Pistachio Ice Cream as served on MS Prinsendam March 8, 2019.

https://morethangetaways.files.wordpress.com/2019/03/dishes08.jpg

Today's care list:

Caregiver Gsel and her DH battling Alzheimers

myself facing cardiac surgery

NextOne DH in rehab and facing chemo

Victor’s wife

Cunnorl and family with exposures to Covid

Mamaofami and DH

and Krazy Kruisers and Joe

Today's Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Teachers, school workers and at home surrogates

Front Line Health Care Workers

Dismomx5 settling in

Maia Chaka, first Black Female Referee

This community for 51 weeks

and Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

🌺🌺

Dear Roy! I am so late to CC! I got a call yesterday morning asking me for help again with the Del Mar vaccination Center. I helped with getting the Johnson and Johnson vaccines and also Tuesday will be giving 2nd doses of Moderna . The center was closed down due to shipment delays.

I won’t be able to get on CC tomorrow and want you to know I will be thinking of you and in prayer!! Your the best Roy and 

I want everything to go well with the CT! 
Just wanted to let you know!

Take care my friend and know so many care for you!! 
Sincerely 
Demise😊

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

I will be getting both a haircut and a pedicure next week just after I pass the magic 2 week mark. I look forward to feeling human again.

This week I am eating stews, soups and using up leftovers and items that really need to gone from the freezer. I too am looking at Honey Bake ham for Easter. It is already on order. Have to admit I also love lamb but I usually only get it while cruising. Another thing to look forward to.

Weather tomorrow is supposed to be good and then????? Looks like Denver may get the worst of it.

Susan

• Like 7

Three years ago today Zaandam called at The Falklands, and I’m thrilled to say, we were able to go ashore. 😁 The classic tour of Volunteer Point was on my agenda,  and I ended up canceling the private tour and booking instead with HAL, as I was concerned I might be late getting ashore due to being only 3 star. As it turned out, I’m glad I made that decision, as I got a chance to explore on my own after the tour, and we heard there were many people who ended up with almost noon tender tickets.

82AA6471-016F-435F-A8CA-3567D5155A56.thumb.jpeg.5228733961277feb0d6da259b777b277.jpeg

Those who have taken this tour know it includes a long drive (2 hours) through pastures and peat bogs to get to the remote location. The going can get rough, and I’m pretty certain anyone who is prone to carsickness would likely not enjoy it. Our drivers met us at the Visitor Center with their experienced Land Rovers, and off we went in a convoy. This way, any vehicle that got “in trouble” would have lots of help getting unstuck. 

Volunteer Point is famous for its large flock of King Penguins, some 1,000 strong. They also have Gentoo and Magellanic Penguins. Most of the Kings were huddled  together, some nurturing young and some incubating eggs, while the mate waddled to the beach and into the ocean for takeout. They were noisy, pungent and much fun to watch. 
4730E946-889A-44D0-BDD7-A12987419D2E.thumb.jpeg.1c5e4a78908f37238158c967c5f9d13d.jpeg

1B873AF5-9DDC-482A-829C-6A39DECBA8E2.thumb.jpeg.c9620ad8a23c88b62b085affd8c1f471.jpeg

We got back to town about 90 minutes before the last tender. That left me some time to visit the church and the grocery (to look), get a few souvenirs and send DH a post card and walk around a bit. I would have liked to have gotten a bite to eat at the pub ( not because I was hungry, but just for the experience), but I was concerned there wasn’t enough time before last tender. So I left unfinished business in Stanley.😉

3C06F674-0834-40F3-AC1D-C569FA939DCD.thumb.jpeg.19d884468a6cf4b2a4c061bbc78c225d.jpeg

0E2D1DB1-7DFF-4D39-83F4-999E21236ECB.thumb.jpeg.4104c7737347c3e448dd5fb925fa413c.jpeg

Edited by TiogaCruiser
  • Like 11

Good Evening Everyone!

Been quite busy the past few days.  Friday we were able to get our covid jabs.  We found out they had a few openings thursday evening, and were given an appointment at 9:00 Friday, so we went!  It did put me down for not getting much done Saturday due to headache and general not feeling well, but by Sunday was much better!

Today we celebrated International Womens Day in fine fashion, with our newest Grandson making his appearance in this world this morning! Then to complete the day my longtime friend welcomed a new Grandson into the world!  So it was baby day here!  How interesting for us after almost 30 years, seeing our kids grow up to get grandbabies the same day.

Be Nasty day I won't celebrate, unless it is "be nasty, smelly" because I got the barn cleaned, but that only lasts until I get showered!

Roy my thoughts are with you with your scan tomorrow. 

Take care everyone.

Denise

• Like 10

2 hours ago, AncientWanderer said:

Just brown the shanks and put in a dutch oven with minced very, very fine carrots, celery, onion, garlic and rosemary; some tomato paste and red wine; cover and cook about three hours in a slow oven.  Vague recipe, but you can't go wrong.  We always serve it with rice and the sauce from the pot.

It is very similar to what I make but I usually serve with polenta. Great minds think alike!!

• Like 5

7 hours ago, CrabbyPatti said:

Good Evening Everyone!

Been quite busy the past few days.  Friday we were able to get our covid jabs.  We found out they had a few openings thursday evening, and were given an appointment at 9:00 Friday, so we went!  It did put me down for not getting much done Saturday due to headache and general not feeling well, but by Sunday was much better!

Today we celebrated International Womens Day in fine fashion, with our newest Grandson making his appearance in this world this morning! Then to complete the day my longtime friend welcomed a new Grandson into the world!  So it was baby day here!  How interesting for us after almost 30 years, seeing our kids grow up to get grandbabies the same day.  

Denise

Joyous news, Denise!  A very special day, indeed!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, TiogaCruiser said:

Three years ago today Zaandam called at The Falklands, and I’m thrilled to say, we were able to go ashore. 😁 The classic tour of Volunteer Point was on my agenda,  and I ended up canceling the private tour and booking instead with HAL, as I was concerned I might be late getting ashore due to being only 3 star. As it turned out, I’m glad I made that decision, as I got a chance to explore on my own after the tour, and we heard there were many people who ended up with almost noon tender tickets.

82AA6471-016F-435F-A8CA-3567D5155A56.thumb.jpeg.5228733961277feb0d6da259b777b277.jpeg

Those who have taken this tour know it includes a long drive (2 hours) through pastures and peat bogs to get to the remote location. The going can get rough, and I’m pretty certain anyone who is prone to carsickness would likely not enjoy it. Our drivers met us at the Visitor Center with their experienced Land Rovers, and off we went in a convoy. This way, any vehicle that got “in trouble” would have lots of help getting unstuck. 

Volunteer Point is famous for its large flock of King Penguins, some 1,000 strong. They also have Gentoo and Magellanic Penguins. Most of the Kings were huddled  together, some nurturing young and some incubating eggs, while the mate waddled to the beach and into the ocean for takeout. They were noisy, pungent and much fun to watch. 
4730E946-889A-44D0-BDD7-A12987419D2E.thumb.jpeg.1c5e4a78908f37238158c967c5f9d13d.jpeg

1B873AF5-9DDC-482A-829C-6A39DECBA8E2.thumb.jpeg.c9620ad8a23c88b62b085affd8c1f471.jpeg

We got back to town about 90 minutes before the last tender. That left me some time to visit the church and the grocery (to look), get a few souvenirs and send DH a post card and walk around a bit. I would have liked to have gotten a bite to eat at the pub ( not because I was hungry, but just for the experience), but I was concerned there wasn’t enough time before last tender. So I left unfinished business in Stanley.😉

3C06F674-0834-40F3-AC1D-C569FA939DCD.thumb.jpeg.19d884468a6cf4b2a4c061bbc78c225d.jpeg

0E2D1DB1-7DFF-4D39-83F4-999E21236ECB.thumb.jpeg.4104c7737347c3e448dd5fb925fa413c.jpeg

When looking at your penguin pictures I almost wish for smellivision so I could get the whole experience 😂 Thanks for sharing.

St Louis Sal

• Like 2
  • Haha 2