Do current prices ever exceed brochure prices?

Canuker

6 minutes ago, sverigecruiser said:

Here we get paid for the whole year. The reason why we can get the whole summer off, Christmas break and some other breaks during the school year is that we work 45 hours a week instead of  40 hours. Over the year we work as much as everyone else.

We don't get vacation time outside of school breaks but can still get unpaid vacation other times of the year if we ask early so that the school can arrange for a sub. The only way we can get paid days off outside of school breaks is if we have worked overtime which is very rare but sometimes possible.  

Here, as far as I know, the teacher work week is not a certain number of hours, such as forty.  I am sure I put in way more than 45 hours a week, including time spent after school and at home preparing lessons, grading papers, etc.

School started--or rather the kids started--at 8:20 and let out at 3:30.  We had short breaks when the kids were in music, art or PE and a 20 minute lunch.  We rotated lunch recess duty and had our own recess duty for our class morning and afternoon.  Some teachers did do the minimum; got to school at 8:10 and left as soon as the kids were gone, but that wasn't the norm.

35 minutes ago, Nebr.cruiser said:

Here, as far as I know, the teacher work week is not a certain number of hours, such as forty.  I am sure I put in way more than 45 hours a week, including time spent after school and at home preparing lessons, grading papers, etc.

School started--or rather the kids started--at 8:20 and let out at 3:30.  We had short breaks when the kids were in music, art or PE and a 20 minute lunch.  We rotated lunch recess duty and had our own recess duty for our class morning and afternoon.  Some teachers did do the minimum; got to school at 8:10 and left as soon as the kids were gone, but that wasn't the norm.

45 hours a week is what we are supposed to work and what we get paid for. 35 hours a week is scheduled and should be done in school. The rest can be done at home or whereever we want. Most teachers probably work much more than 45 hours a week.

2 hours ago, Pudgesmom said:

Police are not unique in working 365 days a year.

My recently retired airline pilot husband would do a vacation bid by seniority every September for the following year.

Many years he worked all of the holidays as monthly schedules are also by seniority. He was occasionally able to trade trips with other eligible pilots to get off for special family events. We just learned to tell people we wouldn’t know if we were available until the 21st of any given month for the following month.

Surely police and fire have sick leave and someone covers for that.

I don't know about PD, but in the fire service someone from another shift would cover in for a sick person.  This was many years ago, so the system could be different now.   But sick days or emergencies are not scheduled like vacation days (at least they shouldn't be).  

2 hours ago, Pudgesmom said:

Police are not unique in working 365 days a year.

My recently retired airline pilot husband would do a vacation bid by seniority every September for the following year.

Many years he worked all of the holidays as monthly schedules are also by seniority. He was occasionally able to trade trips with other eligible pilots to get off for special family events. We just learned to tell people we wouldn’t know if we were available until the 21st of any given month for the following month.

Surely police and fire have sick leave and someone covers for that.

Sure, we have sick leave. We have minimums. X number of officers per shift need to be working. If we go below that due to someone calling off sick then someone else has to stay on overtime to cover. 

7 hours ago, Nebr.cruiser said:

Although seen as such, school breaks are not considered part of a teacher's vacation, especially the summer break.  At least where I live, teachers have a nine month (approx.) work year and are paid for those nine months.  We might choose to get our salary divided into 12 segments, so that we have income during the summer,  but we are still paid for 9 months. 

Most teacher's don't get actual vacation time, outside of school breaks, except for possibly some personal or discretionary time.  When I took a day or two off that wasn't one of those, I paid for the sub.

Our very small school is different than a huge city system, which would be much less flexible.  BTW, we had one art teacher for elementary, Jr. High and High School!

No way here do teachers pay for their subs when they take personal time. There is actually a bonus for perfect attendance (and a lesser bonus with just a few days sick time), And I don't think personal days count towards being absent.

Wow that is a small school; there is actually one in our county smaller than my wife's school that does have only one art teacher for all the grades.

As a comparison, the school district where we live once as a budget cutting measure did away with the art, music, and gym teachers for K-2 leaving the classroom teacher to cover those subjects. When they later reinstated the positions, I remember just for those grades they needed 1 1/2 art teachers.

Edited by ontheweb