Who has decided to take a summer staycation cruise?

seapals2

Just now, debsjc said:

I am so sorry to hear that, I was just reading the posts. Really disappointed that P&O didn't cap the bookings to a level that worked with current guidelines. 
The same may happen to us in August

Hi we are also on Iona in August hopefully we will be able to sail on that one🤞🏻We are disappointed with P & O that they overbooked but I think that’s what most other cruise lines have done,

22 hours ago, Sea Green said:

I've just been cancelled as well. Really annoyed as it was never a 'conditional' booking, they shouldn't have overbooked in the hope that restrictions would be lifted - we could be at step 3 until next year!! I picked this cruise to coincide with a birthday and more importantly work leave pattern. So now I have to rearrange something for three weeks time!. 

And yes I had the Blue Light Card discount too  🤔

If you check back at Molecrochip's posts,  he explains exactly why P&O increased their capacity limit for the sailings after 21st June. Just to emphasise that when these went on sale there was little indication that infection rates would increase such that the govt. had to delay the lockdown end date.

Whilst I would be upset if I was affected, I hope I would be fair enough not to try and lay the blame entirely on P&O.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

If you check back at Molecrochip's posts,  he explains exactly why P&O increased their capacity limit for the sailings after 21st June. Just to emphasise that when these went on sale there was little indication that infection rates would increase such that the govt. had to delay the lockdown end date.

Whilst I would be upset if I was affected, I hope I would be fair enough not to try and lay the blame entirely on P&O.

The problem is P&O didn't give any indication when they took my booking that this was what they were doing - basically 'taking a chance' that travel restrictions would be lifted on 21 June so they would get away with it. It was never stated it was in any way conditional, wait listed or dependant on lockdown restrictions.  I could have 'taken a chance' and booked to travel to a green or amber list country in the hope that travel restrictions would be lifted, but there is too much uncertainty for that to be a sensible decision. So I did what I thought was the right thing - booked a seacation that would be fully compliant with current travel regulations and restrictions, and would go ahead except in the very unlikely event of another stay at home order. 

If I HAD booked under those conditions I would be irritated but understand it was uncertain. But the point is I booked under the impression that I was one of the 1000 max people allowed on a seacation. If I had thought there was a chance I might be sailing at anywhere near capacity of 5000 pax that would have also influenced my decision to book. But I couldn't make informed decisions because P&O kept all the relevant information to themselves.  

21 June was only ever the first date easing restrictions would be considered. We could still be at Step 3 on 21 June 2022! So P&O to do this and then try and blame the Government is exceptionally shoddy. 

• Like 12

14 minutes ago, Sea Green said:

The problem is P&O didn't give any indication when they took my booking that this was what they were doing - basically 'taking a chance' that travel restrictions would be lifted on 21 June so they would get away with it. It was never stated it was in any way conditional, wait listed or dependant on lockdown restrictions.  I could have 'taken a chance' and booked to travel to a green or amber list country in the hope that travel restrictions would be lifted, but there is too much uncertainty for that to be a sensible decision. So I did what I thought was the right thing - booked a seacation that would be fully compliant with current travel regulations and restrictions, and would go ahead except in the very unlikely event of another stay at home order. 

If I HAD booked under those conditions I would be irritated but understand it was uncertain. But the point is I booked under the impression that I was one of the 1000 max people allowed on a seacation. If I had thought there was a chance I might be sailing at anywhere near capacity of 5000 pax that would have also influenced my decision to book. But I couldn't make informed decisions because P&O kept all the relevant information to themselves.  

21 June was only ever the first date easing restrictions would be considered. We could still be at Step 3 on 21 June 2022! So P&O to do this and then try and blame the Government is exceptionally shoddy. 

Absolutely agree with everything you’ve said we should have been informed of P and O intentions and then only to be offered 25% on top of what we paid is an insult I feel I have been deceived 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

If you visit the Government website, there is a specific page for domestic cruises.  Read that and hopefully you will realise that there was not deception of any sort.  It now clearly states that the government hopes to lift all capacity restrictions on 19/7/21.  Had you visited that page prior to the latest announcement it read the same only dated 21/6/21.

P&O were booking at a level that was legal and in the public domain.  Unfortunately, the goalposts were then moved, I can’t see how that is P&O’s fault.

• Like 1

My last thoughts on this. While all the comments and explanations are coming in it appears that only three companies (P&O, MSC and RCI) took this overbooking route at this stage, they of course being the first to sail.  With Government guidelines hidden away from most holiday starved people who read on cruise companies and TAs websites about these "wonderful seacations", total clarity and honesty about what the cruise companies are undertaking is paramount and should be clearly displayed before the punter parts with their money. 

With Covid far from under control there are many other people booked/booking on these cruises with a whole range of companies. There would appear to be every possibility that the restrictions on some parts of society may have to continue.  At this point would it not be wise for EVERY cruise company who are selling seacations to inform all booked guests via their websites at this juncture what the loading is currently being based on?  If they are honest at this point the cruise companies can come out smelling of roses and look like good guys.  If they leave people in the dark running into prime holiday season and then have to cancel hundreds more they will be destroyed by the press and hope of enticing new travellers onboard may well be down at the first hurdle.  Making a contract is a two way thing and should be entered into with full transparency by both parties not without total understanding of the situation for one party.

• Like 6

21 minutes ago, crompton21 said:

If you visit the Government website, there is a specific page for domestic cruises.  Read that and hopefully you will realise that there was not deception of any sort.  It now clearly states that the government hopes to lift all capacity restrictions on 19/7/21.  Had you visited that page prior to the latest announcement it read the same only dated 21/6/21.

P&O were booking at a level that was legal and in the public domain.  Unfortunately, the goalposts were then moved, I can’t see how that is P&O’s fault.

So why on earth didn’t P&O make that clear then to customers at the time of booking? A simple sentence such as: ‘We are accepting bookings in line with the government’s statement that they hope to lift all capacity restrictions on 21/6/21. Please be aware that this could change and that your booking, no .......... could be affected.’ Simples. 

• Like 12

21 minutes ago, crompton21 said:

Johnson did say data would drive the dates, so perhaps they should have kept the booking at the 1000 maximum and released additional spaces if the conditions had allowed. 

The saying never ASSUME, as it can make an ASS out of U & ME should have applied to these bookings

• Like 9

7 minutes ago, Ardennais said:

So why on earth didn’t P&O make that clear then to customers at the time of booking? A simple sentence such as: ‘We are accepting bookings in line with the government’s statement that they hope to lift all capacity restrictions on 21/6/21. Please be aware that this could change and that your booking, no .......... could be affected.’ Simples. 

My take from the latest mutterings of the great and the good is that we are being conditioned to accept that a level of COVID infections and deaths will become the norm for the foreseeable future.  To expect another surge later this year also appears quite often in their comments.

If that turns into the new normal, at what stage should such disclaimers be removed?

I agree with your sentiments, just can’t quite see how they can realistically achieve it should this continue for a long period.

2 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

My last thoughts on this. While all the comments and explanations are coming in it appears that only three companies (P&O, MSC and RCI) took this overbooking route at this stage, they of course being the first to sail.  With Government guidelines hidden away from most holiday starved people who read on cruise companies and TAs websites about these "wonderful seacations", total clarity and honesty about what the cruise companies are undertaking is paramount and should be clearly displayed before the punter parts with their money. 

With Covid far from under control there are many other people booked/booking on these cruises with a whole range of companies. There would appear to be every possibility that the restrictions on some parts of society may have to continue.  At this point would it not be wise for EVERY cruise company who are selling seacations to inform all booked guests via their websites at this juncture what the loading is currently being based on?  If they are honest at this point the cruise companies can come out smelling of roses and look like good guys.  If they leave people in the dark running into prime holiday season and then have to cancel hundreds more they will be destroyed by the press and hope of enticing new travellers onboard may well be down at the first hurdle.  Making a contract is a two way thing and should be entered into with full transparency by both parties not without total understanding of the situation for one party.

Fully agree but it is said that buying and selling is a form of warfare, in other words buyer aware. 😟

P&O rang me this morning to ask if i had received the cancellation email and to apologise for cancelling my booking.

I asked what the criteria is for cancellations.

He said it was 'last booked, first off'

Also said that they were cancelling BLC holders bookings too as they were heavily discounted, no matter how early they were booked.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, crompton21 said:

My take from the latest mutterings of the great and the good is that we are being conditioned to accept that a level of COVID infections and deaths will become the norm for the foreseeable future.  To expect another surge later this year also appears quite often in their comments.

If that turns into the new normal, at what stage should such disclaimers be removed?

I agree with your sentiments, just can’t quite see how they can realistically achieve it should this continue for a long period.

I agree. But for how long a period - just for the staycations! Tentative first steps and all of that. 

3 hours ago, Ardennais said:

Because lots of people would not book if they saw that and P&O wanted bookings.

July is prime holiday time and those who have been bumped will be lucky to get anything else and pay a premium price if they can find an alternative. For people still working their leave period might well be fixed with no flexibility. If I had limited holidays and fixed times I would not book a holiday with that kind of caveat on it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Eglesbrech said:

Because lots of people would not book if they saw that and P&O wanted bookings.

July is prime holiday time and those who have been bumped will be lucky to get anything else and pay a premium price if they can find an alternative. For people still working their leave period might well be fixed with no flexibility. If I had limited holidays and fixed times I would not book a holiday with that kind of caveat on it.

I know, it wouldn’t have worked for us either in the past, but as I said, it’s possible that those with flexibility would have accepted the offer. Who knows! But if would have given people the opportunity to make an informed decision because the cancellations have come out of the blue. It doesn’t affect me, I have no cruises booked, but I’ve followed things on the boards. I thought all along that they might be releasing some additional cabins if restrictions were relaxed on 21 June but it never crossed my mind that they were actively taking bookings over the 1,000 mark knowing full well that there was a possibility of having to cancel some bookings. 

• Like 5

I total agree with you Ardennais, there was no mention of them reaching their 1000 booking when I made mine and I assumed it would only be 1000 going on ther very first cruise so they got it actually right and no hiccups, fool me 😤 but if they came clean with me when I booked saying we have reached a 1000 booking and you would have to go on a wait list till the 21st June when the government announces more freedom I would of been happy with that and held off buying my insurance policy, packing, arranging sitters for in-laws, and hair and nails appointments, but we were given our room number and allowed to print of our tickets and luggage labels , and booking car parking, they should off had a waiting list for customers wanting to go but notification on certainly after government announcement.

• Like 9

2 hours ago, Dave K said:

P&O rang me this morning to ask if i had received the cancellation email and to apologise for cancelling my booking.

I asked what the criteria is for cancellations.

He said it was 'last booked, first off'

Also said that they were cancelling BLC holders bookings too as they were heavily discounted, no matter how early they were booked.

They actually admitted this on the phone? Wow! I can't believe they admitted to such awful behaviour to be honest. Shocking.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Ardennais said:

Do you know many companies that attempt to reduce their turnover by making such sales statements?

14 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Do you know many companies that attempt to reduce their turnover by making such sales statements?

To be honest, I think that a lot of companies have lost sight of customer service even though on paper they boast of having dedicated customer service centres etc. I have just this week ordered a kitchen for a rental property and I appreciated the fact that this particular company told me upfront that it could take 10 weeks for delivery. Our own kitchen from the same company end of 2019 took just over a fortnight. Much better to under promise and over deliver. I appreciate what you’re saying, but I sometimes wonder whether managers, as they travel further and further from customer facing roles, forget to look at things from a customer perspective or just couldn’t care less. I’ve mentioned before of issues I’ve had with an energy provider stretching back to February. They just alienate their customers with their cavalier approach when a little more clarity would pacify those very customers.  

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, Ladyshopper23 said:

They actually admitted this on the phone? Wow! I can't believe they admitted to such awful behaviour to be honest. Shocking.

Sorry but I don’t believe the post by Dave K is accurate. I’ve not received an email or a telephone call, and have been able to book my “entertainment” over the last 24 hours. 

It has been posted that all staff and friends and family had their cruises cancelled, as the first cut.  

The cruise on the 27th June reached a 1000 pax by early morning on launch day 22nd March.  So it stands to reason that anyone booking after the BLC offer launched in May would be cancelled. That’s nothing to do with promotion or fare paid, that’s to do with booking order. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Pink-belle said:

Sorry but I don’t believe the post by Dave K is accurate. I’ve not received an email or a telephone call, and have been able to book my “entertainment” over the last 24 hours. 

It has been posted that all staff and friends and family had their cruises cancelled, as the first cut.  

The cruise on the 27th June reached a 1000 pax by early morning on launch day 22nd March.  So it stands to reason that anyone booking after the BLC offer launched in May would be cancelled. That’s nothing to do with promotion or fare paid, that’s to do with booking order. 

Maybe it was the way he worded it. But he definitely said they were cancelling BLC bookings due to large discount they had received. However if most of these bookings were made in May then they would have been made after the 1000 pax limit was reached. So they would be cancelled anyway.

13 minutes ago, Dave K said:

Maybe it was the way he worded it. But he definitely said they were cancelling BLC bookings due to large discount they had received. However if most of these bookings were made in May then they would have been made after the 1000 pax limit was reached. So they would be cancelled anyway.

The reason I say it’s inaccurate is I have a BLC discount and have not been cancelled. 
I booked at 9am on launch day, but as a gesture of Goodwill P&O repriced my cruise when the discount launched. I know others who benefited from this also, and they have not had their bookings cancelled either.

So if the customer service rep told you that they were wrong, and causing unnecessary harm to the reputation of their employer. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Pink-belle said:

The reason I say it’s inaccurate is I have a BLC discount and have not been cancelled. 
I booked at 9am on launch day, but as a gesture of Goodwill P&O repriced my cruise when the discount launched. I know others who benefited from this also, and they have not had their bookings cancelled either.

So if the customer service rep told you that they were wrong, and causing unnecessary harm to the reputation of their employer. 

The early bookings may that had the BLC discount applied later may be ok then, and the ones made in May are being cancelled.

Fingers crossed you don't get yours cancelled then.

9 minutes ago, Dave K said:

The early bookings may that had the BLC discount applied later may be ok then, and the ones made in May are being cancelled.

Fingers crossed you don't get yours cancelled then.

I’m confident enough to say my cruise on the 27th June will not be cancelled.  I have read the email received by those who booked direct and had their cruises cancelled.  
it clearly states that they would be calling every passenger, in cruise departure order.  They are obviously on July departures as you have had your call. 

However, fingers crossed as a country we are back on track for July restrictions easing, as I never booked my Iona cruise until May. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Pink-belle said:

I’m confident enough to say my cruise on the 27th June will not be cancelled.  I have read the email received by those who booked direct and had their cruises cancelled.  
it clearly states that they would be calling every passenger, in cruise departure order.  They are obviously on July departures as you have had your call. 

However, fingers crossed as a country we are back on track for July restrictions easing, as I never booked my Iona cruise until May. 

I've got into the habit of not looking too far ahead.

Probably the best thing to do is to enjoy the cruise due to go on the 27th, then start thinking about what's going to happen with the next one when you come back. By then, we should have a better idea about the direction the infections are travelling, so you can manage your expectations accordingly.

I've enjoyed reading about other cruise lines re-starting. However, as P&O has been my main cruiseline over the years, I'll be very interested to read about your experiences on your upcoming staycation 

• Like 5