Nieuw Amsterdam advice with 3rd passenger

Tiger2112

We are planning to do a cruisetour of Alaska in May 2021 on Nieuw Amsterdam (first time on HAL). Normally, our son stays in a cabin with my mother, while my wife and I stay in a separate cabin. However, my mother cannot be sure she will be able to cruise next year so we will be booking him into our cabin. We are considering a Verandah or Signature Suite.

We'd prefer a Verandah for the price, but know that the larger size of the Signature Suite would make things less cramped. The main question I have is: is there a difference in bedding for a third passenger between the two cabin types, with the knowledge that the third passenger is currently 6'4" (bean-pole frame) and may still be growing?

I've tried finding dimensions for sofa/pullout beds, but can't find it. Thank you for any information.

We had our grown daughter on a Alaska land/cruise on the Veendam several years ago. Her bed was the couch which pulled out into a bed. It was more comfortable than a similar setup on the Rotterdam a few years later.

DD

My adult daughter has been traveling with my wife and I for many years. She prefers the couches that make into bed sorta like a futon, rather than the pull out beds. This way she can leave the bed made up and nap during the day if needed. Pull out beds get in the way of everyone if they are left out.

5 hours ago, Mary229 said:

go to Halfacts dot com and look at photos for any of the Pinnacle class ships.  They might even have the exact cabin you are looking at.  

Pinnacle class ships' cabins are quite different from the Vista and Signature classes. Nieuw Amsterdam, being Signature class, should be compared to Eurodam, Zuiderdam, Oosterdam, Westerdam, and Noordam. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RuthC said:

Pinnacle class ships' cabins are quite different from the Vista and Signature classes. Nieuw Amsterdam, being Signature class, should be compared to Eurodam, Zuiderdam, Oosterdam, Westerdam, and Noordam. 

Thanks for catching that Ruth.  I had the Pinnacle class ships on my mind this morning.   My bad

We did Alaska in 2019 on the Noordam with our 12 year old grandson in a Signature Suite and it worked perfect. The sofa made into a twin size bed for him and the over sized Signature bathroom was perfect with 2 sinks and bathing. There was enough room with the couch in a bed position to still move around the cabin. We enjoyed the extra room in the Signature suite so much that is now the minimum size cabin we will sail with HAL in the future. We have one booked for our Westerdam cruises this year and next year

https://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/topic/2404747-sofa-bed/

Copied from the other thread regarding sofa beds (thanks Vmax1700!)   This picture of the open sofa bed is from a Signature Suite, which I highly recommend for three adults in a cabin!

Welcome to Cruise Critic Tiger2112!

~Nancy

Edited by oakridger
Added info