Viking's Welcome Back Program

Heidi13

2 minutes ago, JER/MPR said:

How do you go to Blue Lagoon, or anywhere else with the 24 hour quarantine?

That is sort of my point, I don’t think you can.  But as others have said, these rules may evoke again in the next few months.

Well, if I could figure out how to correctly insert the info below, you could see that Negative Covid test requirement does not apply to those with a Covid Vaccination certificate.  I took this from Timatic which is what the airlines use to confirm destination requirements.  I believe that the new ruling came into effect on 06 April.   Not that things can't change, but right now Viking has flights for me arriving on 25 June. 

image.png

image.png

22 minutes ago, SantaFe1 said:

That is sort of my point, I don’t think you can.  But as others have said, these rules may evoke again in the next few months.

Autocorrect does it again!

Not evoke, you silly algorithm, EVOLVE! The rules may evolve!

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Peregrina651 said:

Autocorrect does it again!

Not evoke, you silly algorithm, EVOLVE! The rules may evolve!

Either that or they will Evoke panic or joy depending on how the Evolve 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

19 minutes ago, vslparis said:

Well, if I could figure out how to correctly insert the info below, you could see that Negative Covid test requirement does not apply to those with a Covid Vaccination certificate.  I took this from Timatic which is what the airlines use to confirm destination requirements.  I believe that the new ruling came into effect on 06 April.   Not that things can't change, but right now Viking has flights for me arriving on 25 June. 

image.png

image.png

Agreed!

Here is a link to what purports to be Iceland’s official policies.  If you scroll down you will see the exemptions from testing and quarantine for those with vaccines. I’ve attached a screen shot also of that section.  In any case, I fully expect the requirements to evolve but thankfully that doesn’t mean I can’t book refundable transportation and entrances! 

https://www.covid.is/sub-categories/visiting-iceland

83F37AAD-FC5E-446A-8140-AB96C616537F.png

9D05F6F2-6E3C-421A-A0D7-976F12234F50.jpeg

23 minutes ago, SantaFe1 said:

I give up.  The quote I gave came from the Iceland directorate of health.  But we are on the first of the Iceland cruises, and I want to make sure I have all my ducks in a row.  And I’m sure things will EVOLVE!  

Don’t stress about it.  The link that I gave to you first was from the Iceland Directorate of Health also.  That link does also show the exemptions just further down on the page .

Just wander over to the Virtual Explorer’s Lounge and order a nice cocktail  !  We will be having one together on 26 June in Reykjavik ! 

• Like 5

34 minutes ago, Clay Clayton said:

Agreed!

Here is a link to what purports to be Iceland’s official policies.  If you scroll down you will see the exemptions from testing and quarantine for those with vaccines. I’ve attached a screen shot also of that section.  In any case, I fully expect the requirements to evolve but thankfully that doesn’t mean I can’t book refundable transportation and entrances! 

https://www.covid.is/sub-categories/visiting-iceland

83F37AAD-FC5E-446A-8140-AB96C616537F.png

9D05F6F2-6E3C-421A-A0D7-976F12234F50.jpeg

Thanks Clay ! While I am pretty computer savvy, sometimes things just seem bent on thwarting me 😉

• Haha 1

I checked the Iceland COVID test requirements last night—they were all over the map as regards those with vaccine certs. I started with Iceland Air, which said one thing, then did their link to the government website, then another link to the governments COVID page. All said something different and contradicted themselves within the same document.

Part of the problem is that they just opened up to outside tourists in mid-March, I think, and then had to shut down again in 3rd week of March due to a spike in cases; then opened up for vaccinated Americans on April 6. It seems they couldn’t decide what people will have to do nor what constitutes vaccine proof.

BUT as all have said here, this will evolve by the time of our journeys. We’re doing a land based trip mid June but will continue to follow the Viking cruise threads.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, vslparis said:

Just wander over to the Virtual Explorer’s Lounge and order a nice cocktail  !  We will be having one together on 26 June in Reykjavik ! 

I’m going to do just that!  And try not to worry about this until the first of June!

• Like 3

4 hours ago, duquephart said:

Maybe a quickly (and perhaps poorly) cobbled cruise is not a great idea regardless of one's view that they "can't wait" to get back cruising. Just a thought.

Maybe these could be thought of as the guinea pig cruises. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, SantaFe1 said:

Nothing is really nailed down, the answers to all the questions we’ve been raising aren’t yet known to Viking agents.  She was very nice, but here’s all I could glean.  The cruises to Iceland will operate at reduced capacity, but she doesn’t know what percent.  

Another update this morning from a seemingly knowledgeable Viking agent.  He said the first Welcome Back cruise will start at a reduced capacity and ramp up with each subsequent cruise.  No idea of percentages but a test to see how things are working.

26 minutes ago, Mitina said:

Another update this morning from a seemingly knowledgeable Viking agent.  He said the first Welcome Back cruise will start at a reduced capacity and ramp up with each subsequent cruise.  No idea of percentages but a test to see how things are working.

That is exactly what the other cruise lines such as Celebrity, Royal and Crystal are doing; starting out at 40% or so and ramping up as time goes on as long as things go well.  It is a manageable way to see what works and what needs to be tweaked.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mitina said:

That makes sense thanks and please everyone keep that information coming!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, vslparis said:

That is exactly what the other cruise lines such as Celebrity, Royal and Crystal are doing;

Speaking of them, since I am customer of both X and RCL, got an email from them urging everyone to contact this organization to advocate US cruising to begin in July. I won't cause I don't believe it is yet time to resume till we see virus cases start to drop and also greater vaccination percentages. Instead, I will respond to both with my thoughts. 

Edited by OnTheJourney
  • Like 1

I booked for all seven nights, figuring that it is easier to cancel than to get them later on.  Hopefully, next week, when the specialty reservations open, I can book them and then drop the restaurant reservations.  This is new, booking for the restaurant.  And yes, alas, although we are eligible to book shore ex today, nothing is up.  But at least moving in the right direction!  Thanks Viking!!

• Like 3

On 4/6/2021 at 2:59 PM, Peregrina651 said:

Egypt just cancelled for us, so TA is trying to get us on one of Iceland sailings for this summer. This is a shortened version of the cruise that we had planned on taking last summer. We are still sitting on airline vouchers and hoping we can use them to book our own flights.

There is a form we will have to fill out. It is spelled out here:  https://docs.vikingcruises.com/pdf/210405_COVID-19PoliciesAndProcedures_Ver1.pdf

Let me know how you do booking on your own. We'll be flying out of Boston to Iceland.

On 4/8/2021 at 1:11 PM, cfgrandma said:

Does anyone think that Viking will add more Welcome Back Iceland cruises?  One more cruise date on July 24th would allow us to celebrate our Anniversary and my birthday onboard.

Iceland has been on my bucket list for years.

Carolyn

I think they will. What are the other ships in the fleet doing then? Add another Iceland ship.

27 minutes ago, philw1776 said:

Let me know how you do booking on your own. We'll be flying out of Boston to Iceland.

Phil, join the roll calls -- all of them. Lots of info being shared.

You better book today, right now. Seats are flying out the window and Viking is already assigning flights. On the Icelandair website. Also, try JetBlue for a codeshared flight on Icelandair. 

I booked first thing Wednesday morning and had no trouble getting the seats I wanted. I was among the first to book in Saga class. But that has changed very quickly.

Which sailing are you on?

Advice for those who haven't flown Icelandair before: Try to get a seat in Saga class if at all possible. The seats in Saga are very comfortable, meals are served, and the service is great. Highly recommended.

By contrast, Icelandair's economy class is one of the worst I've experienced flying to Europe. The airline advertises itself as a budget airline for all that entails. Passengers are packed in like sardines in a too-small can. And don't expect fine dining -- the "food" that's available (for purchase, nothing's included in the fare) is a weird combination of American snacks and Icelandic delicacies of some sort. BYO food if you want to eat a real meal.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Peregrina651 said:

Phil, join the roll calls -- all of them. Lots of info being shared.

You better book today, right now. Seats are flying out the window and Viking is already assigning flights. On the Icelandair website. Also, try JetBlue for a codeshared flight on Icelandair. 

I booked first thing Wednesday morning and had no trouble getting the seats I wanted. I was among the first to book in Saga class. But that has changed very quickly.

Which sailing are you on?

Taking wife, daughter and 18 yr old HS senior granddaughter on 3 July cruise. Got shut out of 17th cruise. Got quoted another $8,500 for business class by Viking!!!  Hate Iceland Air economy.

On 4/9/2021 at 1:01 PM, vslparis said:

I was just able to access MVJ for my Iceland trip on 26 June.   Was able to make dinner reservations in MDR; you get 7 of those.  Not much else on there though.

Any sign of shore excursions yet? We are on 7/3 sailing.