CPAP machine requests

Nanatravel

Especially on the Enchanted, is there a plug for a CPAP under or near the bed?  Is there a form to request CPAP supplies to operate our machine like Distilled Water and an extension cord if needed?  I have not been successful finding a Special Needs form.

Edited by Nanatravel

22 minutes ago, Nanatravel said:

Especially on the Enchanted, is there a plug for a CPAP under or near the bed?  Is there a form to request CPAP supplies to operate our machine like Distilled Water and an extension cord if needed?  I have not been successful finding a Special Needs form.

My DH just brings his own extension cord just in case the outlet isn't close enough to plug in his CPAP.  He has never used the humidifier when cruising but  I have read that others have had  the distilled water delivered to their cabin.

• Like 1

If you go to your booking, Guest check in, look for Accessibility and Dietary requests, click on that and it opens up a form to make the request. If you have multiple cruises it has to be done on each one.

It takes a couple of days to get it added but I think they email you. Then if you print your Travel summary after it gets added, it shows up there. They usually just bring the distilled water to your cabin, but you can ask the room steward if they don’t. 

DE646515-D9BE-4169-84D6-09DC549954A2.png

Edited by jennybenny

Under "GUEST CHECK-IN", directly under "Print Travel Summary" is "Personalize Your Voyage". The first choice under that is "Accessibility & Dietary Requests". Under "Dietary Restrictions", enter your email address and select the passenger who uses the CPAP. Then check "Distilled water (for CPAP machine use ONLY)". Then click on "Send Dietary Restriction".

If you go back to this page after sending, it does not show that it has been selected. However, you will receive an email at the email address you entered.

When you print your TRAVEL SUMMARY after the request has been entered, it is shown under "Special Services for this booking". My listing has two lines: "Distilled Water (2 Gallons)" and "Medical Equip-CPAP/BIPAP Not Suppl".

Sometimes the distilled water is waiting for me and sometimes I need to ask the cabin steward for it, but it's never been a problem.

I do not know where plugs are located on the Enchanted, so this response is somewhat generic. There is often a lamp on a table beside the bed. The lamp plugs into a 220v European plug (with two circular plugs) behind the table. I have usually not needed an extension cord. Instead, I used a plug adapter that has two outputs - one US and one European. I could then plug my CPAP into the US plug while plugging the lamp back into the other one.

Most CPAP machines are dual voltage, so you would need an adapter only - the CPAP should work fine on 220 volts. However, you should double check your CPAP to make sure.

You may need help from the cabin steward to move the table to access the plug behind it.

• Like 1

Wife and I both use a CPAP.  The only outlet I could ever find was behind the TV on the wall.  I asked for a ship supplied extension cord the first time we took the machines and got an extra long, very heavy duty power cord.  Always in the way and a trip hazard.  Since then we always carry our own cord (either 8 or 10 ft can't remember which).   If you ask the room steward he can get water for you also..  

4 hours ago, wallyworld583 said:

Wife and I both use a CPAP.  The only outlet I could ever find was behind the TV on the wall.  I asked for a ship supplied extension cord the first time we took the machines and got an extra long, very heavy duty power cord.  Always in the way and a trip hazard.  Since then we always carry our own cord (either 8 or 10 ft can't remember which).   If you ask the room steward he can get water for you also..  

You have to get down on your hands/knees, pull the mattress away from the wall and you'll find the "hidden" outlet.

Hubby always takes an extension cord and a outlet adapter so he can use the 220 outlet. 

Request the distilled water ahead of time as they may run out if you wait till you get on the ship. Some cruise lines ask you to pay for it others do not. If we pay it comes in a gallon bottle. If you are not flying home then just take it with you. 

Bring a roll of duct tape to secure the power cord down, to spare you from tripping.

Since you have 10k posts I assume you cruised frequently before Covid. You might look into travel models. There is one that is USB powered. A USB power port is on the nightstand on Princess ships. It also uses an HME instead of free water. We're not supposed to mention brand names here. Very small. At around five bills worth considering if you travel a lot.

Edited by mtnesterz
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, mtnesterz said:

Bring a roll of duct tape to secure the power cord down, to spare you from tripping.

Since you have 10k posts I assume you cruised frequently before Covid. You might look into travel models. There is one that is USB powered. A USB power port is on the nightstand on Princess ships. It also uses an HME instead of free water. We're not supposed to mention brand names here. Very small. At around five bills worth considering if you travel a lot.

Thank you to everyone for your input. It's been a while since we cruised with Princess.  I can't see us packing the industrial type power cord, but I do have the power adapters which I'll bring in case we can find that 220Volt power source.  Yes, we do cruise a lot (right up to March 14 of 2020) but with another cruise line, so I'm used to what they have supplied

Excuse my ignorance. What does HME stand for?

1 minute ago, Nanatravel said:

Excuse my ignorance. What does HME stand for?

Sorry. Heat Moisture Exchanger. The wearer is rebreathing body temperature humidity that was exhaled. We began using those in hospital ventilated patients in the '90's to reduce the problems of infection, an issue in free water systems.  

1 hour ago, gmjc2 said:

Hubby always takes an extension cord and a outlet adapter so he can use the 220 outlet. 

Request the distilled water ahead of time as they may run out if you wait till you get on the ship. Some cruise lines ask you to pay for it others do not. If we pay it comes in a gallon bottle. If you are not flying home then just take it with you. 

Princess does not charge you for distilled water for a CPAP. Just make the request online in advance.

Been soooo long since we cruised (17 mths) that i could not remember who charged and who did not. Of course as with the higher prices for cruises, the charges for such items could also have changed so always expect the worst and be happy when it is the best!!!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, pmCruiser said:

I use the following adapter in the outlet behind the bed.  Since it has 2 inputs, I can get power to both my CPAP and the bedside light.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004SY5O5K/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

That is the exact same adapter that I used. It worked great for the CPAP without losing the lamp.

1 hour ago, NavyVeteran said:

That is the exact same adapter that I used. It worked great for the CPAP without losing the lamp.

The “safe grounded connection” isn’t a problem for the ship? I only ask because I thought we were not supposed to use grounded extension cords due to the possibility of harming the ship’s electrical? 
If it’s safe to use on a ship, then I think we should buy one for our use as well!

The grounding issue makes me think Princess should supply the extension cords to avoid us bringing the wrong kind. 

Thanks!

4 hours ago, gmjc2 said:

Request the distilled water ahead of time as they may run out if you wait till you get on the ship. Some cruise lines ask you to pay for it others do not.

BTW...If there should be no distilled water available, just use the ship tap water. The purpose of distilled is to prevent mineral build-up in the chamber. The ship tap water is as close to distilled as you can get from a tap. They use essentially the same system that distillers use.

In a pinch, when you're at home and don't have access to distilled, just use tap water. You'll need to increase the frequency of you vinegar:water cleaning, but other than that it's no big deal.

Princess doesn't charge for the water.

1 hour ago, JF - retired RRT said:

The ship tap water is as close to distilled as you can get from a tap. They use essentially the same system that distillers use.

I couldn't find an emoji for slapping my head or I'd have used it. I can't believe I didn't think of that! The ship desalinates it's water from the ocean. Thanks fellow RRT. 

Edited by mtnesterz
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, jennybenny said:

The “safe grounded connection” isn’t a problem for the ship? I only ask because I thought we were not supposed to use grounded extension cords due to the possibility of harming the ship’s electrical? 
If it’s safe to use on a ship, then I think we should buy one for our use as well!

The grounding issue makes me think Princess should supply the extension cords to avoid us bringing the wrong kind. 

Thanks!

I'm not an expert on electrical connections, but was under the impression that the issue on ships was with surge-protected devices -- not grounded devices.  Also, the device only has 2 prongs.  I thought that to ground something you needed the third prong.  Again, I'm just a novice in this area.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, pmCruiser said:

I'm not an expert on electrical connections, but was under the impression that the issue on ships was with surge-protected devices -- not grounded devices.  Also, the device only has 2 prongs.  I thought that to ground something you needed the third prong.  Again, I'm just a novice in this area.

Thanks 

Sounds like I mixed those two terms up! 😉

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pmCruiser said:

It is surge protectors that are not permitted on ships. From the FAQ's

electric extension cords with surge protectors*

*Electrical devices such as small fans, power strips, multi plug box outlets/adaptors, and extension cords without surge protectors are allowed on board when used with proper caution. However, if such devices are determined to pose a hazard they will be removed and returned the last day of the cruise prior to disembarkation.

4 hours ago, pmCruiser said:

I use the following adapter in the outlet behind the bed.  Since it has 2 inputs, I can get power to both my CPAP and the bedside light.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004SY5O5K/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

Thank you.  I like this idea !

19 hours ago, Nanatravel said:

I don't know where the outlets are on the Enchanted. On the Star, they were right by the bedside. Go to your Princess planner & check for medical supplies. You can request the distilled water. It's always in the stateroom when we arrive. I have had to request extension cords once in a while. Do NOT automatically assume you can bring your own from home. BAD information. Many lines will now confiscate cords brought on board by pax.

5 hours ago, gmjc2 said:

Been soooo long since we cruised (17 mths) that i could not remember who charged and who did not. Of course as with the higher prices for cruises, the charges for such items could also have changed so always expect the worst and be happy when it is the best!!!

Recently ordered distilled water on my personalizer  for a couple of upcoming Princess cruises (fingers crossed) and no charge.  HAL charges $2 per gallon for distilled water.  ☹

1 minute ago, We_like_to_cruise said:

Recently ordered distilled water on my personalizer  for a couple of upcoming Princess cruises (fingers crossed) and no charge.  HAL charges $2 per gallon for distilled water.  ☹

I've never been charged anything for distilled water. Rather cheesy of HAL, I think.