DeSantis files suit against Biden Admin and the CDC

DCGuy64

19 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

I'm still reading through it all, but I'd noticed those same sections, too, and thought it was a good idea to point them out. Thanks for doing so!

I think it would be very interesting (albeit purely speculative, on my part) if the CDC read through this and "coincidentally" began to quietly allow test cruises and updated its guidance to the cruise industry in a way that permitted sailings from the USA this summer.

Well, IMO the CDC will 'dig in and, in Reply (to the Motion for Preliminary Injunction), cite the Princess cruises.  🙄  They will also get Amicus Curiae briefs from a litany of anti-cruising industry (probably on letters from politicians) action groups.  Seriously, I have zero belief that they are going to do anything but emphatically put up every roadblock that they can.

Now, time to research the Judge and Magistrate (Updated, looks good 🤨) (and those on the Appellate court).  That will give us an early indicator of what might happen.  Sadly, that seems to be the way the Judiciary works now.

Edited by At Sea At Peace

2 minutes ago, dswallow said:

Screen capture of the current docket.

screencapture-ecf-flmd-uscourts-gov-cgi-bin-DktRpt-pl-2021-04-22-13_46_24clip.thumb.jpg.654304c88ec9f7f6a446f764058e9c64.jpg

Thanks.  I just took a look @ Pacer and found the same.  Also, added to the docket are the Alaska Intervenor and the request today for Oral Argument.

Should be interesting.  The Defendant has to "provide answers and reasons" and "support such."  Normally, I'm not a big fan of todays' courts.  However, we'll see in the responses.  It will more information, hopefully, and not the same "Princess" garbage they've swilled on.

docket.thumb.JPG.78040339b2b83fc0f535dee5efa27911.JPG

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, At Sea At Peace said:

Thanks.  I just took a look @ Pacer and found the same.  Also, added to the docket are the Alaska Intervenor and the request today for Oral Argument.

Should be interesting.  The Defendant has to "provide ans,wers and reasons" and "support such."  Normally, I'm not a big fan of todays' courts.  However, we'll see in the responses.  It will more information, hopefully, and not the same "Princess" garbage they've swilled on.

docket.thumb.JPG.78040339b2b83fc0f535dee5efa27911.JPG

I'd actually like to see the CDC attempt to support its contention about cruise ships being especially dangerous virus vectors and then have to sheepishly admit they're basing that on data that's more than a year old and subsequently refuted by the more recent, safe sailings (that FL wisely included in its appeal for injunctive relief). I'd like to see or hear a judge make them fess up about that and watch them squirm.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, dswallow said:

Ya know, it looks like Florida just wants "reasons."

The US (CDC) has not responded at all.  So, Florida upped the ante to an Injunction and a request for an Oral Hearing.

IMO, they really just want the US (CDC) to respond (i.e., provide the "reasons" why the cruise lines, and only the cruise lines, and only in the US...).

Then, with the US (CDC) "on record as to why," they can have a target; to remedy or to argue.

Edited by At Sea At Peace
  • Like 3

Good for them! I don't know if these proceedings will be followed by anybody except us cruise-hungry geeks, but if the CDC's lame reasoning becomes public knowledge, the embarrassment alone might be enough for them to loosen their death grip on the industry.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Stallion said:

The  Summons served in this case allows 60 days for a governmental agency to respond

Fairly certain that's related to the original complaint. That doesn't apply to the motion for preliminary injunction and ensuing request for oral argument, which run on a separate timetable. The civil case flowchart (https://www.flmd.uscourts.gov/civil-case-flowchart) doesn't really cover that well, unfortunately. The motion should go before Magistrate Judge Amanda Arnold Sansone.

I started collecting all this stuff in a central place, too: Florida v. HHS, CDC (2150.com)

• Like 3

Notice of hearing, Motion for Preliminary Injunction scheduled for 5/12/2021 at 9am, Tampa Courtroom 15A before Judge Steven D. Merryday.

http://www.2150.com/files/cc/8_21-cv-00839-SDM-AAS/047122915740_OrderNoticeOfHearing.pdf

There have been several other docket updates today, adding attorneys, some motions regarding the motion to intervene by Alaska.

Summary docket with links to several of the documents:

Florida v. HHS, CDC (2150.com)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, ColeThornton said:

"Everybody" is moving to Florida and Texas?   First I've heard of that.

Maybe not everybody, but the US Census just added extra congressional districts to FL and TX based on increased migration there. CA lost.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Amicus Curiae Brief of the State of Alaska in Support of Florida's Motion for Preliminary Injunction.

047122927184_AmicusCuriaeBriefAlaska.pdf (2150.com)

This one was added to the docket after I posted the update yesterday.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, dswallow said:

Amicus Curiae Brief of the State of Alaska in Support of Florida's Motion for Preliminary Injunction.

047122927184_AmicusCuriaeBriefAlaska.pdf (2150.com)

This one was added to the docket after I posted the update yesterday.

Thanks.

Looks like there could at least be a hearing on the motion for preliminary injunction on WEDNESDAY, MAY 12, 2021, at 9:00 a.m.

docet.thumb.JPG.c89340fb8c8eee8e16b2c26b1f49df9f.JPG

On 4/22/2021 at 3:59 PM, DCGuy64 said:

I'd actually like to see the CDC attempt to support its contention about cruise ships being especially dangerous virus vectors and then have to sheepishly admit they're basing that on data that's more than a year old and subsequently refuted by the more recent, safe sailings (that FL wisely included in its appeal for injunctive relief). I'd like to see or hear a judge make them fess up about that and watch them squirm.

Really.  Exhibit A is the cruise lines themselves.  Floating Covid quaratine zones, hundreds of infections on board even with quarantining.  Do you know how much money the government had to spend on recusing the passengers, providing land quarantine and then flying them home?  The CDC has a job to do and report science.  If you dont believe science or facts, that's your opinion.   Should we also sue China and Trump for it was his CDC that created the ban?  How about suing Desantis for preventing cruising from returning to Florida by banning vaccine passports.  Every cruise line is requiring them.

Cruising WILL resume but it has nothing to do with politics or lawsuits. The CDC will shortly lift the ban based on science and fact.

Edited by david_sobe
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I would add one other thing.  Many are directing their anger at a virus at other people or entities.  That's a cop out.  We cant bully a virus so a punching bag must be found.  Oh, its the CDC.  The experts at infectious disease and people who have studied pandemics are not to be trusted.  We all are upset cruising is postponed due to Covid.  Lets remember its the virus that caused this, not any one of us.  We are almost out of the woods.

Its a virus that caused cruising to get postponed.  No one else.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, david_sobe said:

I would add one other thing.  Many are directing their anger at a virus at other people or entities.  That's a cop out.  We cant bully a virus so a punching bag must be found.  Oh, its the CDC.  The experts at infectious disease and people who have studied pandemics are not to be trusted.  We all are upset cruising is postponed due to Covid.  Lets remember its the virus that caused this, not any one of us.  We are almost out of the woods.

Amen brother!

• Like 3

17 hours ago, david_sobe said:

Really.  Exhibit A is the cruise lines themselves.  Floating Covid quaratine zones, hundreds of infections on board even with quarantining.  Do you know how much money the government had to spend on recusing the passengers, providing land quarantine and then flying them home?  The CDC has a job to do and report science.  If you dont believe science or facts, that's your opinion.   Should we also sue China and Trump for it was his CDC that created the ban?  How about suing Desantis for preventing cruising from returning to Florida by banning vaccine passports.  Every cruise line is requiring them.

Cruising WILL resume but it has nothing to do with politics or lawsuits. The CDC will shortly lift the ban based on science and fact.

Thankfully some common sense!!!!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, david_sobe said:

A virus that the last CDC director believes escaped from a lab in Wuhan China. A virus that was then allowed to spread all over the world because of decisions made by several parties.

A virus that has virtually no chance of causing mortality in people under 65 with no comorbidities. A virus that we know how to prevent ourselves from getting.

So yeah, this IS on the CDC/HHS and the politicians.

Did you see those clowns on TV last night sitting 6-10 feet away from each other and wearing masks when they are all fully vaccinated too. Political Theater by idiots.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, At Sea At Peace said:

Most definitely. 

Lots of dirty hands in this one.  Doubt the full truth will ever come out.  From Sharyl Attkisson:

• Numerous scientific insiders are signing onto the “lab origin” theory for Covid-19 and a link to controversial research funded by your tax dollars.
  • High profile health figures who have worked to “debunk” lab origin questions are linked to funding and vaccine research partnerships with China’s Wuhan Institute of Virology (WIV).
  • The U.S.- Chinese research involved genetically engineering bat coronavirus to make it infect human airway cells in mice, in order to invent vaccines and other therapeutics.
  • U.S. taxpayer money supported the controversial vaccine research with Chinese scientists through the National Institutes of Health (NIH) and the U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID). Some support came from the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID), led by Dr. Anthony Fauci.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, david_sobe said:

Do you know how much money the government had to spend on recusing the passengers, providing land quarantine and then flying them home?  The CDC has a job to do and report science.  If you dont believe science or facts, that's your opinion. 

Yeah, Trust the Science!  Right..😒  👎..  The Science was the group that got us into this pandemic!  I for one don't trust it!   Science has been known to manipulate data to push their agenda.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

On 4/29/2021 at 1:08 PM, JABTPS said:

Yeah, Trust the Science!  Right..😒  👎..  The Science was the group that got us into this pandemic!  I for one don't trust it!   Science has been known to manipulate data to push their agenda.

I do NOT believe that for one hot second! I do not subscribe to conspiracy theories.

• Like 5