Senators Introduce New CRUISE Act to Overrule CDC Order

hcat

On 4/15/2021 at 2:39 PM, Orator said:

Would catch my attention more if Senators and House members representing both parties would have co signed as sponsors. There are many from both parties who have cruise ports in the areas they represent. Seem to be exclusively a Florida thing and I view the move as purely political and don't see it gaining steam. I hope I'm wrong.

Those other House and Senate members have much more important things to go after for your money than cruising. The list is too long.

On 4/19/2021 at 1:14 PM, El Crucero said:

What does your post have to do with being self-responsible by wearing a mask to protect yourself AND your neighbor.  I may arguably live "under heavens surveillance" but "heaven helps those who help themselves" and I do that by following CDC guidelines.  So if you live solely under heaven's surveillance, then you evidently don't wear a seatbelt in an auto (as required by the DVM) or on a plane (as required by the FAA) or wear a mask when recommended by the CDC, because Devine Providence will keep you safe and to heck with your neighbor.  You reap what you sow.

You MUST comply!

22 hours ago, TeeRick said:

Letter from my senator in PA.  Pat Toomey.

Thank you for contacting me about the COVID-19 pandemic and its impact on cruise ships. I appreciate hearing from you. 

Since the first case of the COVID-19 virus was reported, our understanding of the virus and how to mitigate its transmission has improved drastically and will continue to grow. We now have hundreds of tests, numerous treatments, and three vaccines available. These will help reduce infections, hospitalizations, and deaths resulting from the virus and I am hopeful that, over time, wide dissemination of the vaccine will aid in ending the pandemic.

Specific to your concerns, on March 14, 2020, the Centers For Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) issued a No Sail Order for all cruise ships operating in U.S. waters and subsequently extended the order multiple times. On October 30, 2020, CDC issued a framework for a phased resumption of cruise ship operations. On April 2, 2021, CDC issued additional guidance for mitigating COVID-19 on cruise ships. However, CDC did not announce a date on which cruise ships will be permitted to resume operations.

On April 13, 2021, Senator Dan Sullivan (D-AK) introduced the Careful Resumption Under Improved Safety Enhancements (CRUISE) Act (S. 1105). Among its provisions, this measure would require CDC to issue recommendations on mitigating COVID-19 on cruise ships and revoke the order issued on October 30, 2020 and allow for the resumption of cruise ship operations by July 4, 2021. S. 1105 is currently pending before the Senate Committee on Health, Education, Labor, and Pensions, of which I am not a member. Please be assured I will keep your thoughts in mind should this measure come before the full Senate for consideration.

Thank you again for your correspondence. Do not hesitate to contact me in the future if I may be of assistance.

Sincerely,

Signature

Did you receive this letter before or after the Senate bill failed to make it to the floor for a quick vote this past week?  It's gone back into subcommittee and will not likely see the light of day again. 

11 minutes ago, harkinmr said:

Did you receive this letter before or after the Senate bill failed to make it to the floor for a quick vote this past week?  It's gone back into subcommittee and will not likely see the light of day again. 

It was dated April 23.

Update on  sad fate of the bill. Article says it was blocked by a Senator from Washington State.

https://www.wfla.com/news/washington-dc/when-will-cruises-set-sail-again-florida-senators-scott-rubio-set-july-4-goal/

Article also says

"The CDC says the next phase will include simulated trial voyages to practice new COVID-19 protocols with volunteers before sailing with passengers."

Anyone know anything about any simulated trial voyages with volunteers?

Edited by hcat

27 minutes ago, hcat said:

Update on  sad fate of the bill. Article says it was blocked by a Senator from Washington State.

https://www.wfla.com/news/washington-dc/when-will-cruises-set-sail-again-florida-senators-scott-rubio-set-july-4-goal/

Article also says

"The CDC says the next phase will include simulated trial voyages to practice new COVID-19 protocols with volunteers before sailing with passengers."

Anyone know anything about any simulated trial voyages with volunteers?

A quick vote on the bill was blocked. The sponsoring senators wanted to bypass procedure and bring it to the floor immediately. That effort failed. The bill has gone back into committee to follow the regular process. It, like the Alaska senators’s bill to waive the PVSA, will likely go nowhere.  

I think the comment from the article about trial voyages is about the phased approach generally.  The CDC and the cruise lines are still working on Phase 2A, which is about port agreements and other preliminary matters. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, hcat said:

Looks like a long road back unless we travel to and from a non US port....not that easy but a possible last resort.  Barbados or St Maarten????

Out of US ports are a band aid on a wound that needs 1000 stitches.  If cruising from non US ports is the future of cruising, they are ALL going belly-up.  Not going to happen, but again, cruise industry have not helped themselves.

Edited by LGW59

11 hours ago, LGW59 said:

Out of US ports are a band aid on a wound that needs 1000 stitches.  If cruising from non US ports is the future of cruising, they are ALL going belly-up.  Not going to happen, but again, cruise industry have not helped themselves.

If bookings are bad enough that they have already changed their balconies only position this far in advance of the first cruise dates, it might show the cruise lines that they need to start working with the CDC to get sailing out of the US, instead of just trying to lobby their way out of the CSO or out wait the CDC.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, LGW59 said:

Agreed,  but  short term, even cruising from Nassau Bahamas  for a few days could be fun.

Easy flight from NY or  Fla or   other cities on U.S. east coast.  Nice airport, plenty of pre cruise hotels, ground trans . Ability to host several ships, remove trash and bring in supplies,.. not sure of their Covid rules????

Just today's  fantasy for me!