Are Oceania and Regent the Last Two Cruise Lines

mrlevin

not to have announced restart plans?  I think all other US and European based cruise lines have announced restarts.  Maybe P&O Australia is in the same boat.  Otherwise, I think between UK cruises and Iceland cruises and East Med cruises and cruises leaving from Caribbean everyone else is bringing in money.

I think that they are awaiting word from NCLH (Frank Del Rio) on what to do after Frank and the CDC finish duking it out.  I don't think that Frank wants anyone to make a move that would go against his formal request for the CDC to issue further guidance, including new start dates.  Otherwise, it would look like he had no real intention to work with the CDC.

2 minutes ago, Hanoverian said:

I think that they are awaiting word from NCLH (Frank Del Rio) on what to do after Frank and the CDC finish duking it out.  I don't think that Frank wants anyone to make a move that would go against his formal request for the CDC to issue further guidance, including new start dates.  Otherwise, it would look like he had no real intention to work with the CDC.

Sort of like NCL starting in Jamaica and Dominican Republic?

If NCLH had announced sailings in Europe or the Caribbean on/before, or subsequent to, its April 5 or 6 request to CDC, how seriously do you think the CDC would have regarded that request?  By forbearing to deploy Regent and Oceania, which are both heavily sailed by Americans, Frank has some cards to play.  I think that Oceania and Regent customers are more likely to squawk to their congressmen and senators.  Perhaps Regent and Oceania cannot sail before in any event before July considering crewing and provisioning, perhaps NCLH cannot/does not want to provision or crew anywhere other than US ports.  Could be a host of reasons that we are not aware of.  But starting NCL in July may be a good thing from a cash flow standpoint, a bit more immediate revenue than the smaller Regent and Oceania ships.  The point is, starting NCL before Regent and Oceania, IMHO, does not weaken Frank's hand with the CDC and congress.  Frank's initial request was to resume operations from the U.S., very specific, and not at all tied to operations that could start elsewhere.    

• Like 1

Well, no cruises in July at all. Only 3 cruises that go through U.S. waters in Alaska in August, and one Barcelona to NY, which arrives NY on Sept. 1. So very little concern about CDC affecting Regent start up until at least September, given the Canadian ban on cruise ships. Then the only cruises in U.S. waters in September are to Canada (Alaska end of season and foliage cruises).

The first cruise out of Miami that I see on the schedule is Navigator on Nov. 5.

Perhaps that is why Regent start up in the U.S. hasn't been talked about? Basically, Regent has until the first week in November to need to be in U.S. waters.

Now start up for Regent in the rest of the world would be interesting to hear something about!

• Like 1

Are any of these proposed departure ports open to U.S. citizens other than the Caribbean?

As of today, the website for Greece says:

• The Embassy is aware that high-level officials have spoken of intentions to facilitate summer 2021 tourism to Greece.  However, there is no projected date when entry will be permitted for residents of the United States.  The U.S. Embassy in Athens cannot give you any assurance regarding whether or when residents of the United States may be allowed to enter Greece.

https://gr.usembassy.gov/covid-19-information/
  • Thanks 1

It seems that the Greece embassy in the US doesn't agree with the government of Greece. I have to wonder why the US government shouldn't close the embassy in the US, and send them home since they apparently disagree with the government of Greece.

3 hours ago, SWFLAOK said:

It seems that the Greece embassy in the US doesn't agree with the government of Greece.

Not sure how you arrived at that conclusion  🤔

3 hours ago, SWFLAOK said:

I have to wonder why the US government shouldn't close the embassy in the US, and send them home

Cutting off diplomatic relations doesn’t seem the smartest way to encourage the resumption of tourism 🙄

On 4/17/2021 at 6:43 AM, Cruise Wonderland said:

So many cruise lines decide to restart in UK for domestic cruises. Any idea what is the reason that NCL, Oceania, Regent do not follow?

Most of these UK “special itineraries” are for UK citizens only. 
Presumably NCLH has decided that they do not have a large enough UK customer base to warrant changing their existing schedules at this stage. Or they are waiting to see the detail of the UK government’s announcement on international travel expected in May.

Splendor is scheduled to do a round Britain cruise in September, which might proceed if she recommences operations elsewhere in Europe in August (as @Pcardad predicts).

Success in controlling the pandemic across Europe is patchy and we are still playing “whack-a-mole” with emerging variants.

Edited by flossie009
  • Like 5

On 4/17/2021 at 6:43 AM, Cruise Wonderland said:

So many cruise lines decide to restart in UK for domestic cruises. 

Any idea what is the reason that NCL, Oceania, Regent do not follow?

On 4/18/2021 at 6:42 AM, flossie009 said:

Presumably NCLH has decided that they do not have a large enough UK customer base to warrant changing their existing schedules at this stage.

Also, for Regent, the UK Government restriction on passenger numbers (50% capacity) would probably make these UK domestic cruises totally uneconomic; although those restrictions may be lifted towards the end of June.

For those interested, here is the latest UK Government advice on cruise ship travel:

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavirus-covid-19-cruise-ship-travel

...... and the latest CC article on the domestic cruises that are available to UK citizens this Summer:

https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/5914/