New Viking Ocean Cruiser - Advice?

MarkBearSF

On 4/16/2021 at 3:37 PM, CCWineLover said:

It is Orion going to Bermuda as we are going June 29.  Orion also has a planetarium.  We didn’t care for it - took out great 2nd floor of Explorers lounge.  But does have the great noodle bar aft!!!

I agree. The Planetarium takes away from the beautiful space on the upper deck of Explorers Lounge. It's my favorite space on the ship. I'm sure others love the Planetarium.

On 4/18/2021 at 3:26 PM, Myrtle Ave. Mayhem said:

I agree. The Planetarium takes away from the beautiful space on the upper deck of Explorers Lounge. It's my favorite space on the ship. I'm sure others love the Planetarium.

Count us as two who tried so hard to give the Planetarium a try (even on a 2nd cruise with it) - It just does not work.  Good idea but poor implementation.  And especially since it took away most of the wonderful 2nd floor of the Explorers Lounge.   The shows were amateurish at best, hard to see with craning your neck backwards, and the place was freezing!!

I would be surprised if anyone loved the Planetarium.

I sure hope that it is removed from Jupiter and Orion.  We'll see!

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, SantaFe1 said:

And then, when we did that, we got a new invoice from Viking showing the transfer and the times.  We just had our TA do it for us.

Bought our transfers when we booked. I'm pretty sure that our TA gave them the flight info at that time (I'm checking now). I don't see the transfer time on our invoice.

It is so very hard to keep up with all the new protocols, with so little help from Viking. I wish they had sent out an e-mail at the time of booking, not three or four weeks later, outlining the changes that have been made on MVJ and on board the ship to accommodate the Covid protocols.

2 minutes ago, Peregrina651 said:

I don't see the transfer time on our invoice.

Here’s what we have in the flight details box, naming our transfers:

DELTA #260
Departs June 25, 2021 from Minneapolis, MN (MSP) at 08:45 PM Arrives June 26, 2021 into Reykjavik, Iceland (KEF) at 07:55 AM
DELTA #261
Departs July 3, 2021 from Reykjavik, Iceland (KEF) at 09:30 AM Arrives July 3, 2021 into Minneapolis, MN (MSP) at 11:00 AM

1 hour ago, SantaFe1 said:

Here’s what we have in the flight details box, naming our transfers:

DELTA #260
Departs June 25, 2021 from Minneapolis, MN (MSP) at 08:45 PM Arrives June 26, 2021 into Reykjavik, Iceland (KEF) at 07:55 AM
DELTA #261
Departs July 3, 2021 from Reykjavik, Iceland (KEF) at 09:30 AM Arrives July 3, 2021 into Minneapolis, MN (MSP) at 11:00 AM

Just got a reply from my TA, who took care of the details for me -- and has the confirmation to prove it. So, I'm not particularly worried that I don't see it on the paperwork I have.

I'll save the confirmation to PDF and have it on my phone if there are any problems when we arrive.

On 4/18/2021 at 2:45 PM, Peregrina651 said:

While we don't take everything you mention, we do carry a few items that you don't mention:

suction cup hooks (they work best on glass)  and metal skirt hangers -- both for hand laundry and anything that doesn't go in the dryer

Neu Home 3pk Skirt Hangers : Target  image.jpeg.85d4413d81eeeb312a0f4ebcecd2f0e6.jpeg

for the launderette, we carry a lingerie bag or two, so the little items don't get lost in the washer or stranded beyond my reach at the back of the dryer

Good to put socks in bags.  They often go wondering otherwise.  

Our first Viking cruise is coming up (August)....fingers crossed....Italian Sojourn on Viking Sky.  Our previous cruises have been on Celebrity, HAL, and Princess.  

I'm reading the dining room descriptions and trying to translate into my prior experience. (The Viking website language is a tad flowery and makes it hard to tell 🙂 )Which of the dining options is the "main dining room"?  Which is the buffet?  Which are the specialty restaurants?  

Thanks!

9 minutes ago, BluebonnetTexan said:

MDR = The Restaurant

Buffet = The World Cafe 

Manfredi's is Italian

The Chef's Table is a rotating fixed menu featuring regional cuisine

Viking says all of their restaurants are special, so they describe Manfredi's and The Chef's Table as "alternate" restaurants.  None of their restaurants have an additional charge.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/19/2021 at 5:38 PM, CCWineLover said:

Count us as two who tried so hard to give the Planetarium a try (even on a 2nd cruise with it) - It just does not work.  Good idea but poor implementation.  And especially since it took away most of the wonderful 2nd floor of the Explorers Lounge.   The shows were amateurish at best, hard to see with craning your neck backwards, and the place was freezing!!

I would be surprised if anyone loved the Planetarium.

I sure hope that it is removed from Jupiter and Orion.  We'll see!

Yes Kent, I too hope its been removed. I loved that 

space on upper level of Explorers Lounge. It's so perfect for trans-Atlantic sea day perching!

20200908_063701~2.jpg

Newbie Question-

If you are on a B2B, and are switching staterooms/suites for the second half, how do you move your belongings?  We have only done B2B's on Celebrity and the stateroom attendant /butler usually have your things moved as soon as you come back from the zero out of the ship (we pack our things in the drawers, but leave the hanging things). 

Are you allowed to use the facilities on board after you come back on? 

2 minutes ago, Bejay219 said:

Newbie Question-

If you are on a B2B, and are switching staterooms/suites for the second half, how do you move your belongings?  We have only done B2B's on Celebrity and the stateroom attendant /butler usually have your things moved as soon as you come back from the zero out of the ship (we pack our things in the drawers, but leave the hanging things). 

Are you allowed to use the facilities on board after you come back on? 

The ship's facilities run their regular hours on turn over days. You will usually not have to disembark to zero the ship but you will need a new key card. 

Usually there are tours offered on turn over days for continuing pax only. They are usually announced on the ship and may be dependent on the number of continuing guests. 

Someone who has had to change cabins will have to talk about the process. 

Edited by Peregrina651

4 minutes ago, mauimacho said:

Just booked Viking for the first time for Aug 2022. Our final payment is next month. Is this normal? Over a year before the cruise?

Yes.

If you’re like many folks here, you will want to book more. I don’t know if the rules changed post Covid, but if you book future cruises within 10 days of disembarkation (or book on the ship during the cruise), you can request paying in full 6 months before embarkation of the new cruise. Once you have one future cruise booked, any additional future cruises booked can be paid 6 months before embarkation - but you must request it.

Where to eat on a Viking Ship and items to pack

There are also the Living Room Cafe and Mamsens  for quick bites. Also room service has a great selection.  When you get your waffle in Mamsens be sure to try the cheese.  White and Red wines are offer at lunch and dinner.  I also have asked and received a different "house" wine for dinner. If you find a wine on shore you like you can purchase couple of bottles on carry on board. There is no corkage fee.

We also keep a cork screw in a travel kit.

In our travel kit are included dryer laundry sheets, small plastic cutting board and small paring knife.

These are items packed in our checked luggage. I use the dryer sheet in the laundry and for hand washing.  There are irons and ironing boards located in the Laundry rooms.

I also pack a few pants hangers and plastic hangers .

We carry a small "camping" salt shaker.  The worst thing on a Viking cruise has been the salt grinders in the World Cafe. Those salt grinder do not work well.

I agree DukeFan.  I'm ready to travel with Viking Ocean.  I will  get the Waffles, Cafe Coffee, and Apple pie/cake. The rest of the cruise will be a bonus.

Specialty restaurants reservations:  You can make reservations on line before you board.  Check your invoice for opening date to make reservations and the number you can make.  Also check the first day you board to make additional reservations or changes.  The Chef's Table menu changes every 3 days.