One piece of the marketing campaign.

KS&JW

14 hours ago, clo said:

Ooh, like that idea.

Hopefully for those that enjoy being on board and eating lunch our first day, we will have the option and for those that prefer to board later....this will not effect them at all!  Depending upon where we are embarking and how many days we have been at the embarkation city, we board mid day or later.

10 hours ago, DeanoNorthPerth said:

That can work for those of us "common folk" but it might be difficult when dealing with those who pay the big $$$'s to be in suites. They can board much earlier than us.

Indeed.

I know my 'recommended' boarding time is such low priority I normally have to board on a forklift pallet surrounded by cans of tuna.

The big advantage Oceania has is probably many (most?) of their cruises are long continuation cruises not one off out and back cruises.

Therefore when embarking there may be only a small or moderate percentage of changeover passengers.

I know when we did a couple of segments of an ATW we guessed there would not be many of us "newbies".

Sure enough we went straight onboard about 11am.

This will likely be more of a problem for other cruise lines with larger ships and out and backs.

As Pinot says, it will be interesting to see how various ports around the World handle it. 

Edited by Tranquility Base
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, basor said:

Hopefully for those that enjoy being on board and eating lunch our first day, we will have the option and for those that prefer to board later....this will not effect them at all!  Depending upon where we are embarking and how many days we have been at the embarkation city, we board mid day or later.

I also realize that it's unlikely we would cruise out of any US port so anywhere we are beginning a trip we would want all the time possible ashore.

1 minute ago, clo said:

I also realize that it's unlikely we would cruise out of any US port so anywhere we are beginning a trip we would want all the time possible ashore.

Unless it is an embarkation port that you have visited before either as part of a land trip or the beginning or end of a cruise so we find 2-3 days prior to embarking works for us at those cities - choices are good to have since what works for one does not work for someone else.  We do not propose that what works for us is right for everyone else or even for anyone else.

• Like 3

The only thing my TA has heard with clarity is that assigned boarding times will be shortly after projected cabin availability time. If you’re deck is normally available for occupancy at 1:00, your assigned boarding time will be 1:00-1:30 , staggered. If your deck is normally available at 3:00 then.... Cruisers will then be able to go directly to their cabins without the large congregating that now occurring while people wait on cabin availability. Additionally, for those preferring the buffet line to lunch in town this procedure helps alleviate crowding in the Terrace.

The Italian ports were not allowing cruisers into the port until their assigned boarding time. There is no going to the cruise terminal and waiting allowed. Different ports and countries will have different protocols on this that both the ships and their passengers will have to follow.

Edited by pinotlover
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Silver Sweethearts said:

Actually, we see we have been offered luncheon in our suite between noon and 2 p.m. on embarkation day.  Does anyone have an idea of what sort of menu they have in mind??

It will be a premade   salad & a tray like on the airline  with an entree

Probably ice cream for dessert  or bowl of fruit

🙄

I hate to argue with posters who make pronouncements about things, but I will just say that the 2 times we had lunch in our owner's suite (in the 12 to 2 window) our butler offered us a large menu with soups, salads, appetizers, entrees, and desserts.  Looked like a subset of the GDR (or MDR, if you prefer) menu.

He spread a linen tablecloth, linen napkins, silver, MDR/GDR plates, and champagne flutes as we drank the Veuve Cliquot they had for us on ice.

Very civilized.  Can't imagine it will be any different when we board Marina this November.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, golfguyhhi said:

I hate to argue with posters who make pronouncements about things, but I will just say that the 2 times we had lunch in our owner's suite (in the 12 to 2 window) our butler offered us a large menu with soups, salads, appetizers, entrees, and desserts.  Looked like a subset of the GDR (or MDR, if you prefer) menu.

He spread a linen tablecloth, linen napkins, silver, MDR/GDR plates, and champagne flutes as we drank the Veuve Cliquot they had for us on ice.

Very civilized.  Can't imagine it will be any different when we board Marina this November.

Her response was in humor! 😂😂. Zing

Would you have caught it more quickly if she had said hotdogs and sauerkraut? Liver and onions!

23 minutes ago, golfguyhhi said:

Thank you.  We look forward to it and wish you fair winds and following seas in November.

3 hours ago, golfguyhhi said:

I hate to argue with posters who make pronouncements about things, but I will just say that the 2 times we had lunch in our owner's suite (in the 12 to 2 window) our butler offered us a large menu with soups, salads, appetizers, entrees, and desserts. 

On Embarkation day?

Post Covid   will be different I am sure

JMO

13 minutes ago, Silver Sweethearts said:

Hmmm... Do we detect a green-eyed monster here??

Just a simple question

We do not book suites but did not know they served lunch in your suite on embarkation day 🤔

nice perk if they do though

18 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

Just a simple question

We do not book suites but did not know they served lunch in your suite on embarkation day 🤔

nice perk if they do though

According to Oceania, one of the perks applying to Owner's Suites is "Optional private in-suite lunch on embarkation day from noon to 2 pm".

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Silver Sweethearts said:

According to Oceania, one of the perks applying to Owner's Suites is "Optional private in-suite lunch on embarkation day from noon to 2 pm".

Perhaps that's owner's suite rather than all suites?

9 hours ago, clo said:

Then it's pretty irrelevant for the others, huh?

Probably not relevant to us regardless. Our future bookings are 20, 17, & 17 day sailings. All have 5-6 sea days. Plenty of time for ship food. That menu would have to be extremely impressive for us to give up our relaxing lunch of fresh local cuisine, wines and/or beers. Big part of the reason we travel, to actually fully experience the countries, cultures, and authentic cuisine of those countries. But that’s just us.

• Like 1