Norwegian Fjords

On 5/15/2022 at 5:31 PM, MMMCruiser said:

I realize the temperature in Geiranger, Bergen, etc. will be cold in early May.  Does that also mean windy?  Are the seas very rough?  Looking at a RT from Amsterdam that has a very nice itinerary but concerned about the weather. 

We have been to N. Europe before and know how to layer our clothes, but I'm questioning whether standing outside on the ship for a couple of hours to watch the views in the fjords is really reasonable.  Do people do this?  Has anyone here sailed to Norway in early May?

Considering people around the world are outside for longer periods in lower temperatures, it surely is reasonable. Of course, that would depend on the person's tolerance and dressing warm enough. "Cold" is all relative. If you've experience similar temperatures either where you live or on trips, you should have some idea of your ability to do this. Personally I would be out there as much as possibly for this once in a lifetime type experience. But I do come from Ottawa, so I know what cold can be like and can tolerate being cold fairly well. Also, as you are on the ship one knows you are literally seconds away from being able to warm up.

• Like 2

Hi.  This thread has been so interesting and informative.  I’m hopeful someone can help with the following:

My husband and I just this week booked a 10-night cruise for late-July/early August, 2022, roundtrip from Copenhagen, with stops in Kristiansand, Olden, Alesund, Flam, Bergen, and Oslo.  Does anyone have any advice about what to expect for the weather and what type of clothing to bring?  While it’s the height of the summer, I don’t know what that means in this part of the world.

Also, someone mentioned that we don’t need to get any Norwegian currency – that credit cards are accepted everywhere for everything.  Does this include things like paying for taxis, giving tips, and any other things I can’t think of at the moment when one might generally use cash?

Further, does anyone know whether this “cashless” society would also apply to Copenhagen?  I’m wondering whether we should get some Danish currency.  We’ll be staying at a hotel for a few days prior to the cruise, and I’m wondering again about taxis, tips, etc.  Also, while I’m at it, does anyone know what we might expect for weather in Copenhagen at this time of year?

We put off until pretty “last minute” for us booking this cruise, since I wanted to see what was going on with Covid.  And although things don’t look that great with Covid, we decided to go anyway!  Would appreciate any help.

Thanks.

3 hours ago, Sweetpea711423 said:

Does anyone have any advice about what to expect for the weather and what type of clothing to bring?

For Norway fjords in August you can expect an average temperature of 15°C (59°F) - varying between 9°C (48.°F) and 15°C (59°F) - higher temperatures in Oslo and Copenhagen - here you can expect an average temperature ranging between max 21°C (79°F) and min 13°C (55°F) - might occasionally be higher.

During the day the weather in August will be pleasant- but for the scenic cruising into Olden, Flåm and Oslo you might want to watch the scenery from upper deck early morning or late evening. The sailings into those port are very long.

Layers of clothing is the answer - wind and waterproof jacket - maybe hat and mittens. Expect rain - it rains about 50% of the days - in particulates at the Norwegian west coast.

Further, does anyone know whether this “cashless” society would also apply to Copenhagen?

Denmark is also cashless - you do not need to bring Danish currency - credit cards or Apple Pay widely accepted. Note that tipping is not required in Denmark and Norway - all prices does include full service - including restaurants.

And although things don’t look that great with Covid, we decided to go anyway! 

Currently Covid is not a problem in Denmark or Norway - all restrictions gone - focus on distancing and sanitation.

Might require test for your cruise but tests not required for Denmark and Norway.

Edited by hallasm

9 hours ago, hallasm said:

For Norway fjords in August you can expect an average temperature of 15°C (59°F) - varying between 9°C (48.°F) and 15°C (59°F) - higher temperatures in Oslo and Copenhagen - here you can expect an average temperature ranging between max 21°C (79°F) and min 13°C (55°F) - might occasionally be higher.

During the day the weather in August will be pleasant- but for the scenic cruising into Olden, Flåm and Oslo you might want to watch the scenery from upper deck early morning or late evening. The sailings into those port are very long.

Layers of clothing is the answer - wind and waterproof jacket - maybe hat and mittens. Expect rain - it rains about 50% of the days - in particulates at the Norwegian west coast.

Denmark is also cashless - you do not need to bring Danish currency - credit cards or Apple Pay widely accepted. Note that tipping is not required in Denmark and Norway - all prices does include full service - including restaurants.

Currently Covid is not a problem in Denmark or Norway - all restrictions gone - focus on distancing and sanitation.

Might require test for your cruise but tests not required for Denmark and Norway.

This is fabulous!  Thank you so much for your informative and helpful reply.

• Thanks 1

On 5/20/2022 at 10:21 AM, hallasm said:

Note that tipping is not required in Denmark and Norway - all prices does include full service - including restaurants.

Note that this is the opinion of some but that you will find plenty who will tell you otherwise. I have no idea why "no tipping in scandinavia" is so frequently stated in this forum. It's perfectly ok to don't like the concept of tipping and it's certainly different than in the US, but to act like it is not a part of the restaurant industry is just wrong. So in an effort to give a more balanced picture on the topic of "tipping in restaurants":

Tipping in Norway is not required in the sense that you won't have the waiter chasing you and yelling at you like you almost could experience if you choose not to tip at the wrong NYC restaurant. You are in your full right to pay whatever stated on your final bill and leave. Nobody will come after you. Some might think you're a bit cheap, but that's all. Tips are however most certainly an important part of the the benefit package for a lot of people in the restaurant industry. A few years back there was a supreme court ruling in Norway whether the employer could enforce "tip poolling" between kitchen-staff and waiters (they could) and for the moment there's a battle in the courts on the question whether the employer can withold "employer tax" and an admin fee to handle the accounting and reporting from the received tips. If there were no tipping in restaurants in Norway as some claim, who would have bothered all of this? In the first court case examples were shown of tips per waiter in the restaurant in question in the range of fifteen to eighteen thousand USD per year. Probably less per person after they started pooling tips with the kitchen, but it is stil rather obvious that tipping at many restaurants is very common and a significant source of income for the persons in question. 

So to sum it up; My advise would be to look at the efforts given, the style of the restaurant and how happy you were with the overall experience. For a restaurant dinner I'd say ~10 % is considered a nice tip, but this is not a strict rule. ~20 % like you might see in the US would be considered an surprisingly/extremely high tip (or a "tourist tip") so no reason to go that high. If you think it all was way below what should be expected; Don't tip, tips should be deserved. You still don't need cash though as you will be able to add tip when you pay with your credit card, just inform your waiter. If they hand you the credit card terminal without the option to add tip/enter the desired total amount it's a sign they propably don't neccessarily expect tips or are not used to it. 

PS. I'm not in the restaurant business and have no personal interest in this, I just enjoy seeing skilled and motivated personel getting paid what they deserve. 

• Like 3

We are going to be in Bergen at the beginning of Sept. on the Enchanted Princess. Can anyone recommend any tour companies for either a tour of the city and surrounding area or a cruise through the fjords?

Also what would the weather be like at that time of year?

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/15/2022 at 3:35 AM, hallasm said:

The main attraction in Flåm is the Train from Flåm to Myrdal - The Train is part of ‘Norway in a Nutshell’ - and yes, Scenic. Must be booked in advance.

Thanks for posting this video.  Is this train walkable from the port?  It appeared a ship was in the background.  Does it stop at the waterfall?  Thanks 🙂

7 hours ago, colgal77 said:

Is this train walkable from the port?  It appeared a ship was in the background.  Does it stop at the waterfall?

Five minutes from the pier. Check if your ship is docked at the pier or tendering. Tendering will take time. Book tickets in advance - trains are sold out on days with cruise ships.

Train stop  at the water fall. 
Do not plan to spend time in Myrdal - really nothing to see. If looking for more adventures buy one way ticket to Myrdal and rent a bike for a downhill bike ride.

In this video you’ll see the train station from the cruise ship

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I am wondering what do you all find from this route from Amsterdam: 

Scenic Cruising Oslofjord
CO
  LEARN MORE
23 Aug. 2022

Oslo, Norway

ARRIVES 08:00 AM
DEPARTS 04:00 PM
LEARN MORE
24 Aug. 2022

Kristiansand, Norway

DEPARTS 05:00 PM
LEARN MORE
25 Aug. 2022

Stavanger, Norway

DEPARTS 03:00 PM
LEARN MORE
26 Aug. 2022

Scenic Cruising Sognefjord
CO
  LEARN MORE
26 Aug. 2022

Flam, Norway
TR, NW
ARRIVES 07:00 AM

DEPARTS 07:00 PM

Is this a scenic route? There are so many options to choose.

14 hours ago, SweetsugarNL said:

Is this a scenic route?

Personally I do not consider Oslo fjord scenic compared with the deep fjords at the west coast.

You’ll cruise Oslo Fjord into Oslo. Scenic cruising through Sognefjord and Aurland fjord into Flåm. 
In the video below Sognefjord and Aurland fjord at 3:00 and Oslo Fjord at 4:43

On 6/13/2022 at 1:36 PM, SweetsugarNL said:

I am wondering what do you all find from this route from Amsterdam: 

Scenic Cruising Oslofjord
CO
  LEARN MORE
23 Aug. 2022

Oslo, Norway

DEPARTS 04:00 PM
LEARN MORE
24 Aug. 2022

Kristiansand, Norway

DEPARTS 05:00 PM
LEARN MORE
25 Aug. 2022

Stavanger, Norway

DEPARTS 03:00 PM
LEARN MORE
26 Aug. 2022

Scenic Cruising Sognefjord
CO
  LEARN MORE
26 Aug. 2022

Flam, Norway
TR, NW
ARRIVES 07:00 AM

DEPARTS 07:00 PM

Is this a scenic route? There are so many options to choose.

If you haven't been to Oslo, this is a good itinerary because you can spend a day or two there beforehand – and you can take the incredibly scenic train ride from Flam back to Oslo.

On 4/17/2021 at 3:08 PM, gnome12 said:

I'm thinking about the Norwegian Fjords in summer 2023. I'd like to see the midnight sun. I'd also like to see Geirangerfjord. I love beautiful scenery, but I'm not really a hiker. I don't want a whole lot of sea days. (I have also been to England and Scotland - including Edinburgh and the Orkneys so don't want to spend extra time doing that.) I'm looking for at least 11 nights, but probably more.

I've looked at Hurtigruten's regular coastal trips, but, since they generally don't stop in ports for very long, their excursions are very expensive because they always have to get you to another port to pick up the ship.

Hurtigruten Expedition cruises are round trip Hamburg, so they have sea days at start and finish. I can't really tell which excursions are included and which are not; their website isn't particularly clear on it.

I looked a Viking's Into the Midnight Sun, which only has London at one end (Bergen is the other), but it spends too much time in Scotland for my taste, with only 5 excursions in Norway.

Can anyone direct me to other cruise lines (preferably on small to medium sized vessels) that might have something for me? (They don't have to have 2023 schedules up yet; I'm happy to see what they have planned to 2022 as an idea of what 2023 would be like.) Are there any ports that you particularly consider to be must-sees?

Thanks in advance for your help.

I am booked on the North Cape Cruise starting on June 6 2023 with Cunard on the Queen Victoria.  We liked the fact that it is 11 days and it goes up to the very top of Norway into the North Cape.

Norway is absolutely gorgeous. Did 2 cruises and each was 14 days. Only repeat was Bergen which we loved their market. Going again but 3 new stops and also Iceland and Scotland.  Every place in Norway has amazing scenery. On TBE Constellation we skipped dinner in MDR and ate in buffet to be able to enjoy hours of fjords. We felt right next to it. Was the best decision. 

Norway is expensive but worthwhile.

• 4 weeks later...

It looks like @Hallasm is the Norway expert on this post and I would love to have your opinion on two different cruises we are looking at.

Cruise 1: Departing on June 18th  

image.png.58b99a035c53fecf74e2afa42d3477a2.png

(I hope you can see this)

Cruise 2: Departing on Friday July 7th

image.png.d7edac362cc00abedaf50a63d05c516c.png

Little bit of a background about us: We love exploring and being outdoors so hiking, suspension bridges in Olden or climbing to see the viewpoints in the fjords is right up our ally. We are very active people so just sitting on a bus as we drive by is not something we usually like to do. We are in our 30’s so I know RCL demographically fits us more but this type of trip is definitely about the itinerary and seeing the fjords! It appears like RCL has more ports that are further into Norway so we would see more of the fjords but I would love your opinion! 

My favorite is cruise two - as you say two scenic fjord cruises - Olden and Geiranger are some of the best ports in Norway.

Bergen is the best Coastal city - easy to walk and possible hiking at Mount Fløyen.

Ålesund is a nice city but Bergen better.

Haugesund at both Cruises - not my favorite - same for Kristiansand.

We all know about SAS strike affecting Scandinavian countries and hence larger demand for SJ trains between STK and CPH and DFDS ferry between CPH and OSL.

But what is going on between STK and OSL trains?

Few weeks ago it showed two intercity trains every day and several connections but now it sahows nothing via SJ's own website or Ninja or norwaytrains (Vy suggests going to SJ website for this route anyway)

Anyone local knows?

8 hours ago, hal2008 said:

But what is going on between STK and OSL trains?

I think the SAS strike will soon be over.  Personally, I would book flights and have a bus / train as contingency plan  (unless the trip is this week). - or other options for flights than SAS.
There are no direct trains between Oslo and Stockholm - either bus to Gothenburg and train to Stockholm or Flixbus direct Oslo to Stockholm.

UPDATED: I've found other comments that suggest this isn't worth it to see Pulpit Rock.

Has anyone done the boat trip (not RIB) up the Fjord to cruise under Pulpit Rock? Our cruise company describes it as follows:

Pulpit Rock is one of south west Norway’s most popular tourist attractions. Towering 1,982 feet above the Lysefjord, this flat mountain plateau was called Hyvlatanna or ‘planed tooth’ in ancient times. It is an amazing, much-photographed landmark and its bare rock tabletop shape is in stark contrast to the green slopes and mountainsides that surround it. Having boarded the boat, exclusively chartered for our guests, you sail across to Lysefjord, a ribbon-like waterway that stretches 30 miles into the heart of the fjordlands, flanked on both sides by steep slopes, verdant mountainsides and the occasional small, picturesque farm. You pass directly below Pulpit Rock and pause for a while at the eerie Vagabond's Cave before stepping ashore at Helleren Beach to enjoy refreshments. You then sail back to the quayside in Stavanger.

The walk from the ship to the boat will amount to approximately 200 yards, and there is a further walk of at least 100 yards, over uneven ground, to the refreshment venue. There might be a number of steps to the upper deck of the boat. The boat may not have sufficient outside seating, and the views from some inside seats could be restricted. Views of Pulpit Rock are dependent upon the weather conditions on the day.

Edited by Wacktle
Update added

12 hours ago, hallasm said:

I think the SAS strike will soon be over.  Personally, I would book flights and have a bus / train as contingency plan  (unless the trip is this week). - or other options for flights than SAS.
There are no direct trains between Oslo and Stockholm - either bus to Gothenburg and train to Stockholm or Flixbus direct Oslo to Stockholm.

On SJ.se website, tried randomly few dates.

(SJ website has known issue that when you select date x, it sometimes shows fares for date x+1)

Selecting August 16, it shows options for August 17.

One of the option is InterCity Train 639 departing at 15:29 from STK C. and arriving non-stop at Oslo S at 21:24 (fare is pretty low and train has bistro)

Selecting August 12, it shows options for August 13.

One of the option is InterCity Train 635 departing at 13:32 from STK C. and arriving non-stop at Oslo S at 19:20 

However, this train option appears only for select dates this summer. Strange. And hence the question.

(in June and early July, it was showing two nonstop trains everyday)

Edited by hal2008

On 7/13/2022 at 2:10 PM, hallasm said:

My favorite is cruise two - as you say two scenic fjord cruises - Olden and Geiranger are some of the best ports in Norway.

Bergen is the best Coastal city - easy to walk and possible hiking at Mount Fløyen.

Ålesund is a nice city but Bergen better.

Haugesund at both Cruises - not my favorite - same for Kristiansand.

Thank you!

Howdy all - excited to stumble upon this thread. My wife and I just booked a 12-day RCL cruise in July 2023. We can't wait to start planning excursions and learning more about each port. We are avid hikers and love being outside and exploring so we figured this a perfect spot for us to visit. 

2023 Cruie Itinerary.JPG

On 7/24/2022 at 7:47 PM, Kelownacruiser said:

Looking at an August 2023 cruise on P&O's Iona and am interested in thoughts on this itinerary?

The itinerary has two deep fjord cruising into Olden and Geiranger. Hellesylt is only a technical stop for excursions at Geiranger. Navigating the same fjords in the morning when entering the ports as listed for the evening. I prefer to be at the upper decks in the morning at sunrise to enjoy the views. I’m missing Bergen - Stavanger is an ‘OK’ substitute - while Haugesund is IMO not ‘that exciting’

Nice viewpoints in Olden and Geiranger and glaciers close to Olden.

8 hours ago, KrisD28 said:

We can't wait to start planning excursions and learning more about each port. We are avid hikers and love being outside and exploring so we figured this a perfect spot for us to visit

You’ll find a lot of information in this topic as well as the forum.

This is a midnight sun cruise to North Cape (Honningsvåg). Two deep fjord cruising into Geiranger and Flåm - excellent hiking opportunities and views.

Flåm is known for the railway.

Tromsø, Stavanger, Molde and Kristiansand are coastal cities.

Apart from Honningsvåg where the only option probably is ship excursion to North Cape you can easily arrange your own excursions to viewpoints in other ports.