Norwegian Fjords

Hi, new cruiser here.

We’re doing Fred Olsen fjords 6th - 14th May

Eidfjord

Flam

Bergen

any suggestions? Especially for Eidfjord would be welcome. One of our group has recently had surgery and can’t do any strenuous walking so wondering if a tour is the best bet rather than finding our own way.

42 minutes ago, GMfree said:

any suggestions? Especially for Eidfjord

Eidfjord is a small town and primarily Nature and active tours - here are a few links to inspiration

https://www.hardangerfjord.com/en/eidfjord/

https://cruise-norway.no/destinations/eidfjord/

in Flåm I can recommend  the railway from Flåm to Myrdal - trickets must be purchased in advance.

• Thanks 1

I am doing the Northern Europe - The Fjords (M311B) on QM2 April 30 2023 - May 26 2023.  Wondering what the weather would be like that time of year and how rough are the seas.  Looking for excursions for my stops in Alesund, Older, Flam, and Bergen.  Will be cruising by Innvikfjorden, Nordfjord, Aurlandsfjorden, and Sorgenefjord.

23 hours ago, shippmates said:

Wondering what the weather would be like that time of yea

Expect cold weather  In May  - the average temperature varying between 4°C (39°F) and 11°C (52°F) and rarely exceeding 18°C (65°F).

Layers of clothing is the answer - waterproof shoes as well as wind and waterproof jacket.  Expect rain - it rains about 50% of the days in May - but the weather can also be nice.

Nordfjord and Innvikfjorden nto the port of Olden as well as Sorgenefjord and Aurlandsfjord  into the port of Flåm ar very long and scenic fjords - I'll recommend that your are at the upper deck at sunrise 5 am - same fjords when leaving in the evening but I prefer the sceneries in the morning.

Ålesund, Older, Flåm, and Bergen are easy DIY ports - Many attractions in Olden is the 'Loen Skylift' and in Flåm the train - need to book the train in advance.

Many post id this topics covering the ports as well as separate topics on the potst - some examples.

• Thanks 2

We are going to Norway in June on HAL. We are looking at shore excursions tours in Alesund and Geiranger through Norway Excursions. There are multiple times for departures. I have read that views are weather dependent. I am wondering which I should choose—early morning, late morning, or early afternoon or if it would not matter. 

Hi. I'm looking at a May 2023 short Norway cruise, RT from Amsterdam, and I'm curious if anyone has any opinions on this one.  Ports are as follows:

Haugesund

Flam

Geiranger

Bergen

We have already sailed to Kristiansand, Stavanger, and Alesund on a Norway/Iceland cruise, and also spent a week in Oslo, so I'm ok with missing those ports.  Would love to do one that goes farther north, but time is tight and our dates are somewhat inflexible this time around.  

Do you think this is an itinerary worth trying? 

5 hours ago, MMMCruiser said:

May 2023 short Norway cruise

This Cruise includes two very scenic fjord cruising in the deep fjords into Flåm and Geiranger -

Flåm with the railway and Geiranger with viewpoints. Bergen is a very nice city fro DIY. An excellent Norwegian Fjords itinerary.

Only reason for going further north is Midnight Sun or visit to North Cape - does require longer cruise or cruise starting in Bergen.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 4/12/2022 at 5:08 AM, cloverose said:

I am wondering which I should choose—early morning, late morning, or early afternoon or if it would not matter.

Doesn’t matter regarding views  - temperature might be higher in the afternoon.

9 hours ago, hallasm said:

This Cruise includes two very scenic fjord cruising in the deep fjords into Flåm and Geiranger -

Flåm with the railway and Geiranger with viewpoints. Bergen is a very nice city fro DIY. An excellent Norwegian Fjords itinerary.

Only reason for going further north is Midnight Sun or visit to North Cape - does require longer cruise or cruise starting in Bergen.

Thanks for your advice.  I had thought about taking the train to Bergen then do a small ship into Flam when we were in Oslo, but because we had a 2020 cruise booked with Bergen as a port we chose not to do the Nutshell tour.  Obviously that 2020 cruise was canceled, so I have been trying to find another opportunity to get down that fjord and this one seemed like a great option.  You think it's still worth taking the train even though we will already be in Flam?

(Also previously did a stop in Stavanger and a Rodne fjord cruise there).  

Plans for Bergen in 2020 was walking tour, funicular, then hiking/walking at the top, so I will probably plan something similar with this cruise.

17 minutes ago, MMMCruiser said:

I had thought about taking the train to Bergen then do a small ship into Flam when we were in Oslo

Sorry, I do not understand your current plan. Train from Oslo to Bergen? “…a small ship into Flåm” - from where?

5 hours ago, hallasm said:

Sorry, I do not understand your current plan. Train from Oslo to Bergen? “…a small ship into Flåm” - from where?

I'm sorry I wasn't clear.  That was a plan for when we did a land visit in Oslo - to take the Norway in a Nutshell "tour" on our own.  My question is, if we already sail down the fjord to Flam, why do you recommend taking the train?  Is it more scenic?  I welcome any advice.

8 hours ago, MMMCruiser said:

My question is, if we already sail down the fjord to Flam, why do you recommend taking the train?  Is it more scenic?

The main attraction in Flåm is the Train from Flåm to Myrdal - The Train is part of ‘Norway in a Nutshell’ - and yes, Scenic. Must be booked in advance.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jessinphilly said:

Can someone talk about the types of clothes I should have for day excursions please and for nights outside on the boat?

OK saw in the Roll Call that your cruise is a 'Midnight Sun Cruise' visiting Honningsvåg (North Cape) in North and Bergen in South. Expect cold and wet weather
In the Northern part of Norway (Honningsvåg) you can expect temperature in the range from 3°C (37°F) to 11°C (52°F) - you might feel it as a much lower temperature when at a windy outer deck during night - also still snow in June in Honningsvåg (North Cape).
In Bergen you can expect from  10°C (50°F) to 14°C (59°F). Expect showers or rain.

Layers of clothing are the answer.  Also expect it to rain half the time - rainproof footwear as well as windproof and rainproof jacket - suggesting hat and gloves.

can also be nice and sunny days - enjoy.

Edited by hallasm
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/17/2021 at 12:18 PM, hallasm said:

Yes, several times - please post your itinerary. Norway Coast does include a lot of very, very different locations - also very depending on time of year.

Thinking of  RCL Anthem of the Seas. It’s seven nights in May 2022, any suggestions. We love hiking trails and seeing wonderful views!

Thanks, first time to Norway 🇳🇴 

02686251-2D16-4DAC-A66C-9BED8F32E48A.png

18 minutes ago, cementhands said:

Thinking of  RCL Anthem of the Seas. It’s seven nights in May 2022, any suggestions. We love hiking trails and seeing wonderful views!

Then this cruise is an excellent choice. Two scenic deep fjords into Geiranger and Olden. Here you will also find good views  - in Olden Loen Skylift and in Geiranger: Dalsnibba, Flydalsjuvet and Ørnesvingen ( some might be closed due to snow in May). In Stavanger hiking to Pulpit Rock and in Bergen to Mount Fløyen. 
Many good options for hiking but be prepared for possible cold weather and rain.

For the scenic fjord sailing you must be on upper decks at sunrise at 04:30am.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/22/2022 at 4:45 PM, gumby_ng said:

It's not often a ship will stop in Hellyselt but not go on to Geiranger but from what I can see on the MSC site, this is the case. But I also see now that there is a public ferry that take about an hour so that is an option. With this stop on the MSC itinerary we could do both Flam and Geiranger on the same trip.

Is this correct? On the MSC itinerary it shows two dots for Hellyselt/Geiranger stop with excursions departing from both ports/stops.

7 minutes ago, lasnev said:

Is this correct? On the MSC itinerary it shows two dots for Hellyselt/Geiranger stop with excursions departing from both ports/stops.

You're right, on the MSC USA website it says both which is good. I was on the cruise.com website which only showed Hellyselt.

On 4/26/2022 at 2:56 AM, lasnev said:

Quite often ships has a short ‘technical stop’ in Hellesylt for excursions only. The the ship will proceed to Geiranger and the Hellesylt excursions will end in Geiranger.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I realize the temperature in Geiranger, Bergen, etc. will be cold in early May.  Does that also mean windy?  Are the seas very rough?  Looking at a RT from Amsterdam that has a very nice itinerary but concerned about the weather. 

We have been to N. Europe before and know how to layer our clothes, but I'm questioning whether standing outside on the ship for a couple of hours to watch the views in the fjords is really reasonable.  Do people do this?  Has anyone here sailed to Norway in early May?