Norwegian Fjords

On 7/25/2022 at 6:52 PM, KrisD28 said:

Howdy all - excited to stumble upon this thread. My wife and I just booked a 12-day RCL cruise in July 2023. We can't wait to start planning excursions and learning more about each port. We are avid hikers and love being outside and exploring so we figured this a perfect spot for us to visit. 

2023 Cruie Itinerary.JPG

This is an excellent itinerary

1. It is not a 14 day trip made of up of two 7 day cruises that HAL and others run (ship comes back to Amsterdamn and goes out again)

2. Long enough time at Stavanger to do Pulpit rock hike 

3. Both top deep fjord cruising included 

a. Odd that RCL marketing considers "Arctic Circle" cruising only on southbound on 8th day but not Northbound on 5th day. (may be actual arctic circle crossing might be happening during overnight on Northbound).

b. Would have preferred to see Oslo instead of Kristiansand (and may be Bergen or Alesund  instead of Molde) t make it even better.

For mainline american cruises, there are only 3 or 4 trips each year among all of them combined that are this good.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hal2008 said:

Can you see the artic circle marker on the shore from the cruise ship?

Not necessarily.  Depends on the route.
The monument is located on a small island called Vikingen east of Hestmanmen Island.

922B52FD-89E4-4EA2-9518-3F5CEE69FEC8.jpeg

Edited by hallasm

@hallasm

@hal2008

Thank you both for all the great info and thoughts on the itinerary. My parents are joining us and my dad is really interested in Iceland. Came across to different NCL cruises that combine Iceland and Norway. Wanted to get your thoughts on there two itineraries. Seems like one stays North around the Artic Circle while the other stays further South in the Fjords.

Itinerary 1

• Day 1: Embark from Reykjavik, Iceland at 4 pm
  • Day 2:  Isafjordur, Iceland 7 a.m. – 5 p.m.
  • Day 3: Akureyri, Iceland 7 a.m. – 4 p.m.
  • Day 4: Scoresby Sound, Greenland
  • Day 5: Ittoqqortoormiit, Greenland 7 a.m. – 2 p.m.
  • Day 6: at Sea
  • Day 7: Longyearbyen (Spitzbergen), Norway 10 a.m.
  • Day 8: Longyearbyen (Spitzbergen), Norway 12:30 a.m.
  • Day 9: Honningsvåg, Norway 7 a.m. – 5 p.m.
  • Day 10: Alta, Norway 7 a.m. – 4 p.m.
  • Day 11: Harstad, Norway 6 a.m. – 4 p.m.
  • Day 12: Svolvaer, Norway 7:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
  • Day 13: Disembark in Tromso, Norway at 7 a.m.

Itinerary 2

• Day 1: Embark from London, England at 5 pm
  • Day 2:  Brussels, Belgium 9 a.m. – 6 p.m.
  • Day 3: Amsterdam, Netherlands 7 a.m. – 6 p.m.
  • Day 4: At Sea
  • Day 5: Bergen, Norway 7 a.m. – 4 p.m.
  • Day 6: Geiranger, Norway 8 a.m. – 10 p.m.
  • Day 7: Alesund, Norway 7 a.m. – 5 p.m.
  • Day 8: At Sea
  • Day 9: Akureyri, Iceland 9 a.m. – 8 p.m.
  • Day 10: Isafjordur, Iceland 9 a.m. – 6 p.m.
  • Day 11: Reykjavik, Iceland 10 a.m.
  • Day 12: Disembark in Reykjavik, Iceland 8 a.m.

10 minutes ago, KrisD28 said:

Thank you both for all the great info and thoughts on the itinerary

Itinerary 1 is the most interesting - includes Greenland,  Svalbard ,  North Cape (Honningsvåg) and also Svolvær at Lofoten Islands - but missing the deep fjords into Geiranger. 
Assuming itinerary 1 is in June /July - then midnight sun most of the cruise.

17 hours ago, KrisD28 said:

Itinerary 1

• Day 1: Embark from Reykjavik, Iceland at 4 pm
  • Day 2:  Isafjordur, Iceland 7 a.m. – 5 p.m.
  • Day 3: Akureyri, Iceland 7 a.m. – 4 p.m.
  • Day 4: Scoresby Sound, Greenland
  • Day 5: Ittoqqortoormiit, Greenland 7 a.m. – 2 p.m.
  • Day 6: at Sea
  • Day 7: Longyearbyen (Spitzbergen), Norway 10 a.m.
  • Day 8: Longyearbyen (Spitzbergen), Norway 12:30 a.m.
  • Day 9: Honningsvåg, Norway 7 a.m. – 5 p.m.
  • Day 10: Alta, Norway 7 a.m. – 4 p.m.
  • Day 11: Harstad, Norway 6 a.m. – 4 p.m.
  • Day 12: Svolvaer, Norway 7:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
  • Day 13: Disembark in Tromso, Norway at 7 a.m.

This is an Arctic cruise, not a fjord cruise. It is a great itinerary if you want an in-depth look at the high Arctic, and as a polar cruise enthusiast, it includes a few of my favorite ports, but if you are looking to visit the Norwegian fjords, this is not it. It includes Norwegian ports, but this is kind of like comparing a cruise of the Pacific Northwest to a cruise in SoCal, since they both include port calls in California.

• 2 weeks later...

I was wondering if someone has an idea about excursion ideas and pricing in Maloy. We are thinking to take a cruise (first time) for our honeymoon in September 2023 to the fjords of Norway and the itinerary that we have in mind has port days in Maloy, Nordfjordeid en Flam. For Nordfjordeid and Flam there is enough information online. But I can't find information about excursions to Maloy (incl pricing). Any information would be welcome. Thanks.  

46 minutes ago, sannevandervis said:

I can't find information about excursions to Maloy (incl pricing). Any information would be welcome.

You’re right - Måløy is a new cruise destination- and a very tiny town.

Here is a link to a topic specific for Måløy.

Today Cunard informed us our stop at Hagesund has been cut to a half day 7-12 due to port restrictions??? 

This means we have an extra half day at sea and robs us of our excursion which wasn't due to start until mid morning and we'd chosen due to alert from past visitors about lack of things to do there. Back to drawing board I guess 😤🙄🤔

• Thanks 1

On 8/15/2022 at 9:18 PM, Kelownacruiser said:

Found this MSC cruise that seems to be a good week with both fjords and city ports. Thoughts? 

2D6F02DF-6B2E-4018-BF21-EE6623EFAFA7.jpeg

Some quick observations

1. No Bergen, Alesund or Stavanger

2. 2 days spent for Berlin but very short stay to do justice for 4 hours roundtrip

3. Neither Flam nor Geiranger 

• Like 1

On 8/16/2022 at 3:18 AM, Kelownacruiser said:

Found this MSC cruise that seems to be a good week with both fjords and city ports. Thoughts? 

Not impressed either - Not the most impressive deep fjords or ports. Oslo will be the highlight of the cruise - apart from start/end in Copenhagen.

11 hours ago, Anubi said:

If you can get two weeks away, consider this cruise from HAL.

image.thumb.jpeg.9f223d718e0aa041b6feb4b8a69eaab2.jpeg

This checks all major boxes 

1. Both top deep fjord (flam and Geiranger) included

2. Both interesting coastal cities Bergen and Alesund included. Trondheim is nice for excursions too 

3. Visits North Cape by crossing Arctic circle

4. True 14 day cruise (not like other HAL sailings which is actually 2 7-day sailings back to back involving unnecessary trip back to Netherlands

5. Hopefully, stop at Stavanger is long enough to allow for Pulpit Rock hike 

Please also look at post 148 above and subsequent comments 

Edited by hal2008

Just wondering the risk of choppy seas. We will be cruising August 2023. The cruise goes from London to Haugesund (that is an at sea day), then several stops along the Norwegian coast, then Aalborg to Copenhagen. 
We have 1 member of our party who gets sea sick quite easily. I know from other cruises that there are certain areas that are typically choppy, but I know it can really vary depending on the weather. 

1 hour ago, anadi said:

Just wondering the risk of choppy seas.

In August there is a great chance for calm waters, but I have experienced rough seas in August as well.

Without knowing the itinerary, it is difficult to identify the waters with the greatest risk of high seas.  There are open stretches with a risk of rough seas.  From England to Norway the North Sea is passed, along the coast of Norway sailing partly in sheltered fjords but also on the open sea - the Stadthavet south of Ålesund can also be turbulent.
 From Norway to Denmark (Aalborg) the Skagerak is passed.  The North Sea is again passed back to England

24 minutes ago, anadi said:

This is the map of the route, for the most part, although the map doesn't show the first 2 stops, which are Haugesund and Alesund.

Most likely the day at sea when crossing the North Sea from England to Haugesund.

Possille the night from Flåm to Sandres and again the passage from Sandres to Aalborg.  
This summer August has been very calm. 

Great thread !  Lots of good advice.  

We just booked the silver dawn on this itinerary.  DW is into Vikings and all those shows.  We just did a cruise around Scotland and Ireland this past May.  Of course she was cold so she had been warned about this one .  I’m hoping it won’t be as windy in the “fjords”. But she can bring her down jacket. 
608503C4-814D-4D6C-A74B-83CB02D7A7AD.thumb.jpeg.16ba9b179e92630bf435327935491dc3.jpeg

As I mentioned she is into Viking stuff.  I didn’t see a lot except in Oslo  and. Haugesund we have a couple of themed tours. And in Copenhagen and roskilde some stuff.  I think historically the Vikings were in the southern part of Scandinavia, not sure I blame them.  .  We have some scenic tours that go to a cider farm and another to another farm which will give here some glimpse into living back in the day. I’m cool with the glam train and other scenic stuff.  That said is there anything at those other ports  she should see?  which towns are good for walking around and shopping? 

Are there some good places to eat mussels at any of the ports?

Thanks For the advice I’m all ears!

3 minutes ago, Lonedaddy said:

As I mentioned she is into Viking stuff.  I didn’t see a lot except in Oslo  and. Haugesund

Viking all over Scandinavia including Iceland and Greenland - you’ll find museums in Haugesund, Oslo and for Copenhagen in Roskilde. Do not know if museums in Gothenburg.

Geiranger has great viewpoints, Olden glaciers and Flåm the Train 

Bergen a nice walkable city and a great fish market.

Apart from Bergen the cities in Norway are very small - plan for excursions.

• Thanks 1