The Daily for Sunday Apr 18, 2021

richwmn

9 hours ago, rafinmd said:

I wasn't all that impressed with Alter do Chao.  It sits roughly 20 miles upstream from Santarem on the Rio Tapajos.  Most Amazon cruises visit Alter do Chao in one direction and Santarem going the other way.  I visited twice, a Prinsendam Amazon Explorer in 2013 and the Grand South America in 2019.  It's a tender port with a rather interesting landing, you land at a dock, walk about 100 yards across beach sand to a second landing.

temderdock.jpg

On the 2013 Amazon Explorer Alter Do Chao came first.  On that cruise I took a tour to Santarem and spent most of my time there but did pause a bit on the way back including the church:

alterchurch.jpg

On that cruise when we stopped in Santarem I opted for a tour of a rain forest.

In 2019 I did not take any tours but walked around both towns.  Here's the town square in Alter Do Chao:

altersquare.jpg

My main memory was from the Grand South America.  We went to Alter Do Chow returning downstream while the Veendam, headed upstream. docked in Santarem.  It was the last time the two would meet under HAL colors, and there was lots of tooting and celebration as we passed the Veendam and she followed us back to the main Amazon:

veenmeet.jpg

Roy

Thanks for posting the pics of this difficult at best port along with the pics of the Veendam.  I was there on the Veendam in 2017.  Great memories and for a cruise that was not at the top of my bucket list, I am so glad I did choose to do it.  With the Prinsendam and all the S class ships gone from the fleet, that RT cruise from Ft Lauderdale to Rio and the Amazon may never be repeated.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Hello, everyone!  I'm late today, it's so hot (must be 75!) I had a nap, but I have a really great suggestion - why don't we all pack up and go and visit Denise?  I could do with some Hawaii!

We had a zoom chat with my cousin in Glastonbury yesterday.  She is so excited that England is opening up again, she has booked a camping holiday in the Scilly Isles in June. I do envy her.

Today a couple of bald eagles were swirling around doing their mating dance, and then they sat in one of our trees and squeaked at each other for a while.  I have never heard them vocalizing so much. 

IMG_0118.thumb.jpeg.0613fec50917fc48e17b7aff71f94dc4.jpeg

We were on the Prinsendam with Roy in Alter da Chao.  We went ashore with Jacqui's friends, Jane and John, and walked around the town.  There is a handicraft shop made of bottles, and I bought a large turtle made of Amazonian rubber for DS.  Then we had drinks in a local bar and later decided to take a boat ride on the very flooded Tarcoles River. It was a fun day!

P1080428.thumb.JPG.cec9a6a21c21f9112e7b8e408b9a8c43.JPG

P1080438.thumb.JPG.954c99c332457ab974dfaa4855204ec6.JPG

P1080447.thumb.JPG.4fe0846b95ca357a9fa2cbe1662b6db0.JPG

Notice the marooned iguana on the roof -

P1070604.thumb.JPG.de69b9c9a61ebc7f8869f0e7ce979df9.JPG

P1080441.JPG

• Like 18

Good evening all . Thank you for all of the posting and the pictures . 

For me April 18th has always been a very special day , because it is DW's BD . We have been very lucky to celebrate that together with HAL  a few times  even on the BHB's  . (  Martha is not half her age so she has a long way to go yet ! )

Two years ago she and I received a special present on her BD , a "real " Gold Medal and while she got that from the Captain  on the Prinsendam our friends who were on that cruise in the auditorium started to sing Happy Birthday and the whole room joined in .........another day we will remember forever ! 

PastedGraphic-1.png.4ef6a183459423a9f0e4dce5413f38fd.png

746869605_IMG_92402.thumb.jpg.5fdbd744e955358b361c14b51868bbc1.jpg

Because of the lockdown we are in in SW Ontario  I was the only one that did the singing 

Tony 😄

Edited by sailingdutchy
  • Like 17

I saw the later part of Gerald Bernhoft's talk today.  He seemed so enthusiastic about the company and positive about the future operations.  He addressed the loss of the Amsterdam, a ship so loved by the World Cruisers, that he said was their winter home and they knew it from top to bottom better than the crew.

He described the Pinnacle Class as capable of pleasing those who have preferred the more intimate ships with their nooks and crannies and spectacular artwork. My first reaction to the Koningsdam was that it was so different from even the Vista class, but began to seem like part of the fleet the longer I was aboard.  Some of the HAL devoted cruisers were acknowledged.

The other rather exciting report was about the Rotterdam's transatlantic 150 anniversary cruise in Oct 2022 from Rotterdam to NY and down to Ft Lauderdale.  Gerald expects to be aboard along with others to celebrate the companies history with special lectures and presentations.  

• Like 8

37 minutes ago, sailingdutchy said:

Because of the lockdown we are in in SW Ontario  I was the only one that did the singing 

Well, I will join in the singing to wish Martha a very happy birthday 🎂 🥂 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, St Pete Cruiser said:

The other rather exciting report was about the Rotterdam's transatlantic 150 anniversary cruise in Oct 2022 from Rotterdam to NY and down to Ft Lauderdale.  Gerald expects to be aboard along with others to celebrate the companies history with special lectures and presentations.

that is exciting - that means there will be some celebrations.  So glad to hear that for the people on board her.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Copper10-8 said:

Ever seen comedian / juggler Barnaby (RIP) on HAL? "It's all part of the act, folks" Hilarious!  😂

Barnaby.jpg

I always enjoyed Barnaby. Talked with him a long time at the airport just after what turned out to be his last Alaska cruise.

Susan

• Like 3

Good evening everyone and Happy Sunday!!  Thank you for the Daily Rich and thank you for your lists Roy. 

I watched Prince Philip’s funeral this morning, the BBC broadcast was on YouTube, and was so touched by The Queen sitting by herself. She has lost her best friend. 

Today is our DD’s 40th birthday and I have no idea how that happened!  I was 25 years old and we had been married for 7 years and I wanted children so badly. Then this little bundle of fire and spunky spirit came into our lives and changed our lives forever. Thank you Gayle for being our daughter. 

Have a great evening everyone!

• Like 13

i am really late to the game today and didn’t even make it yesterday. Today is DH’s birthday and we celebrated here at home.  

For dinner we had Beef tenderloin, potatoes ua gratin, mushrooms and asparagus.  We also had a small Carvel ice cream cake (sans candles for safety reasons).  

He was quite pleased with his birthday dinner. 

Here in Beaufort County SC the mask mandate has been lifted, much to my dismay.  Our church is now packing in the worshippers so we stream Mass on our TV at home. It seems a bit irresponsible to me.

While we have been vaccinated we still exercise caution as much as we can. 

There was an article in our local paper that while almost 900,000 people have been vaccinated in SC, 155 of those people have contracted the virus and one has died.  This makes me very nervous.

As for the port.  Never been to Alter da Chao.  would like to do the full circumnavigation of SA, but was only lucky enough to go from Buenos Aires to Fort Lauderdale on a repositioning cruise.  It was one of the best cruises I was on.

I hope all have had a good Sunday and hopefully I get into the game earlier tomorrow.

God bless everyone and stay safe.

Terri

• Like 12

52 minutes ago, Cruzin Terri said:

i am really late to the game today and didn’t even make it yesterday. Today is DH’s birthday and we celebrated here at home.  

For dinner we had Beef tenderloin, potatoes ua gratin, mushrooms and asparagus.  We also had a small Carvel ice cream cake (sans candles for safety reasons).  

He was quite pleased with his birthday dinner. 

Here in Beaufort County SC the mask mandate has been lifted, much to my dismay.  Our church is now packing in the worshippers so we stream Mass on our TV at home. It seems a bit irresponsible to me.

While we have been vaccinated we still exercise caution as much as we can. 

There was an article in our local paper that while almost 900,000 people have been vaccinated in SC, 155 of those people have contracted the virus and one has died.  This makes me very nervous.

As for the port.  Never been to Alter da Chao.  would like to do the full circumnavigation of SA, but was only lucky enough to go from Buenos Aires to Fort Lauderdale on a repositioning cruise.  It was one of the best cruises I was on.

I hope all have had a good Sunday and hopefully I get into the game earlier tomorrow.

God bless everyone and stay safe.

Terri

🎂 🎈  HAPPY BIRTHDAY  🎈🎂 to your DH.

I agree with you about opening up, especially as the numbers are rising.  It is the same in many places in Texas, so we are being careful too.

Lenda

• Like 5