Reduced capacity?

Redtravel

1 hour ago, Tranquility Base said:

Before this happens, I would hope that deliveries are diverted to other countries in desperate need of supply.

The problem is that the excess doses will most likely be Astra-Zeneca [e.g. Netherlands has decided not to use the 10+ million doses they have on order for summer] or J&J.  Is it ethical to send these to third-world countries, if you aren't using them because you are worried about their safety?

5 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

The problem is that the excess doses will most likely be Astra-Zeneca [e.g. Belgium has decided not to use the 10+ million doses they have on order for summer] or J&J.  Is it ethical to send these to third-world countries, if you aren't using them because you are worried about their safety?

I guess  Biden   thought so he is  sending the Astra Z to Canada  because it is not approved in the USA 😲

• Like 2

Just now, LHT28 said:

I guess  Biden   thought so he is  sending the Astra Z to Canada  because it is not approved in the USA 😲

I didn't say Canada is a third-world country.  Did you really mean to do so?

• Haha 1

Many countries are using the AZ vaccine.

Both developed countries and developing countries.

The AZ vaccine will play an important part in getting this Pandemic under control.

If there is evidence of a glut forming of Pfizer, Moderna, or J & J vaccines over the next few months due to lack of people wanting the vaccine, I hope these supplies are also diverted to other countries in need.

3 minutes ago, Tranquility Base said:

Many countries are using the AZ vaccine.

Both developed countries and developing countries.

The AZ vaccine will play an important part in getting this Pandemic under control.

Many countries have been planning to use AZ, but apparently they are starting to rethink that.

Quote from a post by a German correspondent in the River Cruising forum:  "AstraZeneca not looking good, may be phased out. In Netherlands already more than just a rumour?

https://nltimes.nl/2021/04/24/end-astrazeneca-vaccine-netherlands-might-sight"

1 hour ago, Tranquility Base said:

If there is evidence of a glut forming of Pfizer, Moderna, or J & J vaccines over the next few months due to lack of people wanting the vaccine, I hope these supplies are also diverted to other countries in need.

Here it is a matter of supply

We cannot seem to get enough vaccine ..people are lined up ready  to get the shot  but they keep running out

They are pushing the AZ  one now

Who knows if we will get our 2 nd shot  or not

My sister,  DH  & I all got our 1st shot end of March 2 nd scheduled for mid July  way past the recommended time frame

12 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

Here it is a matter of supply

We cannot seem to get enough vaccine ..people are lined up ready  to get the shot  but they keep running out

They are pushing the AZ  one now

Who knows if we will get our 2 nd shot  or not

My sister,  DH  & I all got our 1st shot end of March 2 nd scheduled for mid July  way past the recommended time frame

Given the fast track of the testing process, I doubt they actually tested delays of longer than 4 weeks.  They have stretched it out and apparently keep seeing good results.  So your mid July second shots may still have the desired effect.

3 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Given the fast track of the testing process, I doubt they actually tested delays of longer than 4 weeks.  They have stretched it out and apparently keep seeing good results.  So your mid July second shots may still have the desired effect.

The UK study I saw  was saying after 10 weeks the  1st dose becomes less effective

I hope  we will still be protected at 15 wks

YMMV

My comment re: the January 8, 2022 Marina cruise being at 100% capacity, was confirmed twice by Oceania representatives when I called.

I was surprised as much as a few of the readers on this thread, however, this is the information relayed to me via Oceania.  Could the information be incorrect?  Anything is possible.  I am merely conveying my experience from my 2 phone conversations.  

At this point in time, I more concerned whether or not this cruise takes place at all, either at partial or full capacity.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Condocat said:

My comment re: the January 8, 2022 Marina cruise being at 100% capacity, was confirmed twice by Oceania representatives when I called.

Do you mean the phone rep  or someone higher up the food chain?

Those at the bottom rarely have an idea of what the top brass are doing

JMO

• Like 1

20 hours ago, mauibabes said:

I used NCLH as all encompassing to cover NCL, Oceania and Regent.  I guess I was surprised that significant numbers of guests in our demographic would be resisting vaccinations.  

ciao

Truly doesn't surprise me at all. Much of this demographic is squarely in the vaccine hesitant group. There is a mindset out there that is listening to bad advice. 

I was just reading a little blurb by a Retired General about vaccine hesitancy among military members becoming a real problem. 

Edited by ORV

ORV, I have heard some of the same talk about military members resisting the vaccination. I find it funny because in my 30 years we were REQUIRED to get a Flu shot to remain world wide qualified but that was USAF requirement. If the Surgeon’s General wanted the vaccination to be Mandatory, I have no doubt it would be.  

I have also read that within the Health Care community there is a good percentage, upwards of 20% who are initially resisting taking the vaccines.  

We always get our flu shots but they are never more than 60% effective. Let’s hope this of us who chose to receive the various Covid vaccinations can push the world toward a herd immunity. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, LHT28 said:

Those at the bottom rarely have an idea of what the top brass are doing

JMO

Some of those phone reps don't have any idea of what they are doing. Just another reason to find and use a good TA.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, mauibabes said:

I find it funny because in my 30 years we were REQUIRED to get a Flu shot to remain world wide qualified but that was USAF requirement. If the Surgeon’s General wanted the vaccination to be Mandatory, I have no doubt it would be.   

I agree but "military leaders are unable to force service members to get the COVID vaccinations at this time because the shots are approved only under an emergency-use authorization." 

https://www.military.com/daily-news/2021/03/01/military-may-revisit-making-covid-19-vaccines-mandatory-after-fda-grants-approval.html

If CNN says it, it must be true.  So we will let our AZ go, the J&J is getting put to pasture and people are holding out for Moderna and  and Pfizer. FDA and other countries  bureaucratic problems will slow down the transfer of US excess capacity vaccines to other countries  Around here, CA, we are reading stories that within a few weeks we will be reaching the equilibrium point and supply of those two vaccines will exceed the demand so a lot of vaccine could be headed to other states like Washington and Oregon because the Governors are working the pandemic solutions together in a sort of pact.  Let’s hope Michigan gets greater allocations from the Feds otherwise Gretchen is in real trouble come election time.  
Bottom line, we need to get people vaccinated if they so choose and slow down the Covid freight train to a crawl. 
Ciao,

Gerry

• Like 1

The US government is sending supplies to India, including PPE and doses of the AZ vaccine, which has still not be approved in the US. There may be a reason for that - it was not not developed in the US with taxpayer money like they other vaccines have been. We have 3 vaccines so do we really need a 4th? Send it to other countries that need it. I don't have a problem with that.

What I do have a problem with is the US not stopping these "bubble" flights from India to the US at a time when 350K new Covid cases are occurring in India every day now. There is zero requirements for these people to quarantine upon entering the US and they are free to travel onward to any place they like. Why have we not done what other countries like NZ, the UK, and Canada done and stop these flights? Why are we risking any progress we have made with vaccinations by allowing these flights?

All of the discussion about shore excursions, reduced capacity, etc. are going to be moot if we don't get the virus under control, as we will all be staying home. Even the proposed openings of EU countries are worrisome to me, as it sounds like economics may be taking precedence over sound health decisions. I realize that people are struggling without tourists, but I can't help thinking the consequences of opening too soon could be dire.

• Like 4

just looking at possible cruises since O announced resuming end of August.  There were lots of open cabins.  Then  suddenly only waitlist for B4, C, E, F....no oceanviews or insides.  Most other categories are available. Is this an attempt to reduce capacity?   or is it an attempt to maximize revenue?  it doesn't look like an attempt at social distancing.   Will wait for feedback from the brave sailors who will go on Marina, Good luck.  Hope that it is safe.