Mixology 101

Edward51

51 minutes ago, HskrCrsr said:

I have not done this but wondered the same. Here are links to prior discussions just to get some quick info:

Thats helps.  You had more luck than I did looking for old links.

With the drinks now included,  I was just hoping to learn a bit and try a mixed drink I otherwise would not have tried.

Thank you.

1 minute ago, Edward51 said:

Thats helps.  You had more luck than I did looking for old links.

With the drinks now included,  I was just hoping to learn a bit and try a mixed drink I otherwise would not have tried.

Thank you.

That is exactly what I wanted, too! I learned that I like pina coladas on an earlier cruise and I very much want to see what else I might enjoy. Mixology sounds like a good idea for me.

1 hour ago, Edward51 said:

You had more luck than I did looking for old links.

I did a quick search and came up with 12 results, including the 2 kindly provided by @HskrCrsr. I used "mixology class" without the quotation marks, and searched in This Forum for all of my search terms in both titles and body.

While I generally don't have an issue with Cruise Critic's search engine, if necessary I'll do a Google search using the "site:" parameter. The search would look like this if you aren't familiar with this parameter: site:boards.cruisecritic.com mixology class celebrity.

Our next cruise is still many months away, but I'll keep this class in mind!

• Like 2

The only two write ups are interesting, but not inspirational. I can get that, and better, on YouTube...

To the OP: This doesn’t sound like an event that sells out. Ask on board. Try to find out what bartenders are doing it. Over the course of a cruise, for probably a couple of $10 each tips, I’m betting you can learn more than in a 101 class. And if you do the, 101, you’ll have an idea what they’re doing. 

And lookup Behind The Bar on YouTube.

Edited by markeb

Thanks for the replies.

I do not know why Celebrity does not give up much info.  No time length, no nothing.  Just the name of the package.

I will enquire on board but I have a feeling that my favourite bartender, on a quiet port day, may be more than happy to show me a few tricks of the trade for $35.

We did this course.  For us it was worth it.  We did not have the drink package so that made a difference also.  We also got to know the bartender at the World Class Bar plus some others in the class.  I recall it being an hour or two.

We also did the wine mix class.  Now that was a big class.  The mixology class is more personalized.

Edited by NMTraveller

We had the premium drink pack and I did it because  it was 1/2 off probably because lack of interest.   My wife didn’t do it but was allowed to be there with me.   She sampled the drinks. The BT made 5 very full and potent drinks.   It is a lot to drink in one hour if you aren’t a drinker.   It was a Mojito,  espresso martini, Hemingway daiquiri, and I don’t remember the other 2. The Mojito was the weakest as far as the type of drink.  The others consisted mostly of alcohol.     The cocktails are basically a choice of the BT.   It was a fun time, entertaining, and a chance to meet others that are interested in making drinks.  He gave us some paper and pencils to take notes and write down the recipes.  

as others said you could probably learn as much on UTube but like anything else that you could do on UTube or the internet watching a ship sail isn’t the same as being there.  

At the end we naturally gave rather generous tip.  

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Edited by miched
  • Like 1

Part of it for me is the name. I've had the opportunity, mostly ashore, to sit at bars with really good bartenders that I'd actually consider mixologists. I might order a Manhattan first, but when it's been a quiet early evening or afternoon (that's usually Vegas), and I've struck up a conversation, I've said "make me something". I can't remember ingredients exactly, but one of the most amazing was at the bar at Gordon Ramsey's place at Caesars. It was something I think he'd played with and maybe even entered in a bartending contest in Vegas. Smoky whisky, I think Laphroaig, a sweet liqueur, but I don't think it was a vermouth, and bitters, and probably something else. It was amazing. I've seen that on ships in the past, but on Celebrity the best are probably at the World Class Bar, and that's almost a fixed franchise operation (it actually may be; I don't know). Best was probably Brilliance of the Seas, no package, and a great bartender who was willing to have fun after a couple of nights.

I think the challenge is if they're making what I'll call "fun stuff", it would be enjoyable, but you'll never repeat them at home. It's like that great Southern Indian dish that needs 1/8th of a teaspoon of a spice you have to buy by the pound. I've probably got 4-6 bitters in my cabinet, and various bourbons, whiskies, and ryes, so I'd probably do OK at recreating a liquor heavy drink. But the fun mixology drinks are going to start requiring ingredients I just wouldn't have available. At home, you have to plan to make a Mojito; fresh mint only lasts so long. An espresso drink that uses a one shot of a coffee liqueur means a bottle of that liqueur hanging around for 25 drinks. Etc. And there are things I've had onboard that I really love, and do make occasionally at home, like the Zacapa Old Fashioned (which doesn't take that many ingredients, thankfully).

None of which means I wouldn't do it if I found it interesting at the time! But I'd like it more if they were doing creative things...

8 minutes ago, markeb said:

Part of it for me is the name. I've had the opportunity, mostly ashore, to sit at bars with really good bartenders that I'd actually consider mixologists. I might order a Manhattan first, but when it's been a quiet early evening or afternoon (that's usually Vegas), and I've struck up a conversation, I've said "make me something". I can't remember ingredients exactly, but one of the most amazing was at the bar at Gordon Ramsey's place at Caesars. It was something I think he'd played with and maybe even entered in a bartending contest in Vegas. Smoky whisky, I think Laphroaig, a sweet liqueur, but I don't think it was a vermouth, and bitters, and probably something else. It was amazing. I've seen that on ships in the past, but on Celebrity the best are probably at the World Class Bar, and that's almost a fixed franchise operation (it actually may be; I don't know). Best was probably Brilliance of the Seas, no package, and a great bartender who was willing to have fun after a couple of nights.

I think the challenge is if they're making what I'll call "fun stuff", it would be enjoyable, but you'll never repeat them at home. It's like that great Southern Indian dish that needs 1/8th of a teaspoon of a spice you have to buy by the pound. I've probably got 4-6 bitters in my cabinet, and various bourbons, whiskies, and ryes, so I'd probably do OK at recreating a liquor heavy drink. But the fun mixology drinks are going to start requiring ingredients I just wouldn't have available. At home, you have to plan to make a Mojito; fresh mint only lasts so long. An espresso drink that uses a one shot of a coffee liqueur means a bottle of that liqueur hanging around for 25 drinks. Etc. And there are things I've had onboard that I really love, and do make occasionally at home, like the Zacapa Old Fashioned (which doesn't take that many ingredients, thankfully).

None of which means I wouldn't do it if I found it interesting at the time! But I'd like it more if they were doing creative things...

Your last sentence is exactly how I see it.  I will wait and see.  Thanks.

Many a time on the third or fourth day of a cruise and hours at the martini bar getting to know one or two of the bartenders, responding with ‘make me something you think I’ll like’ has been rewarded with some delicious drinks. 

I also enjoy spending time at the World Class Bar.  I have at least one Zacapa under the Clouds each cruise. 

Edited by DaKahuna

6 hours ago, Fouremco said:

I did a quick search and came up with 12 results, including the 2 kindly provided by @HskrCrsr. I used "mixology class" without the quotation marks, and searched in This Forum for all of my search terms in both titles and body.

While I generally don't have an issue with Cruise Critic's search engine, if necessary I'll do a Google search using the "site:" parameter. The search would look like this if you aren't familiar with this parameter: site:boards.cruisecritic.com mixology class celebrity.

Our next cruise is still many months away, but I'll keep this class in mind!

Thanks and love the mask.  Go Sens Go!

My husband  and I took the course 5 years ago. We enjoyed it tremendously!. There were 4 couples and 8 drink recipes. After being shown the correct way to shake, when to shake or stir etc, we each had to take a recipe, go behind the bar and make the drink. There was enough of each drink to get a good sample. Of course, we made mistakes  sometimes, but we never took it seriously,  and all had a lot of laughs. Made some nice friends. I really did feel more confident  about preparing  drinks after that! And felt really good after those 8 🍸 🍹 🍸!

• Like 1

We did this course 2 years ago it was only me and my wife so almost one to one teaching. The bartender took us through 3 ways of making drinks shake, stir and blend and we produced full drinks doing this. I remember we made a Negroni and maybe an Old Fashioned. Then for the last drink he asked us what our favourites were and showed us how to make them. We probably spent 15 minutes on each section and needed a lay down after!

• Like 3

Traveling with another couple about three years ago, the husbands did this in the World Class Bar and loved it.  The bartenders absolutely made it and we spent quite a bit of time in there the rest of the cruise. My friend and I joined them about halfway through the class and tried the different cocktails they were making.  There were about five people in the class that afternoon.  

23 hours ago, markeb said:

Was it a penicillin?  I feel like I haven't really seen any other peaty whisky cocktails other than variations on a penicillin.

When you are in vegas, on the strip, you should give the Vesper bar a try (cosmopolitan). 

1 minute ago, UnorigionalName said:

Was it a penicillin?  I feel like I haven't really seen any other peaty whisky cocktails other than variations on a penicillin.

When you are in vegas, on the strip, you should give the Vesper bar a try (cosmopolitan). 

He never named it that I remember. It was one of those really fun days wandering around the Strip. I remember it being really good, relatively slow afternoon, and just a nice time. Paid for it at current Vegas prices, but it  was just really nice, and unexpected.

I'll have to try the Vesper Bar. There are some really cool places to eat at all price points out there. I probably prefer the New York scene, but if you've got an open mind, there are just some really nice places to eat and grab a drink. Although I just saw one of my favorites had lost it's celebrity chef (Burger Bar at Mandalay Place). Hopefully it comes back and doesn't change much...

• 2 years later...

Couple years ago did a Martini Mixologist class. Was $25. In attendance was about 12 individuals and we sat at the bar. Made several different martini’s and we all got a generous sample. Lasted about 1 1/2 hours. By the end we were all friends,  learned a lot about making various martini’s as well as types of alcohol to use. Instructor/Bartender knew his stuff and had a great sense of humor. Ended the afternoon by going back to my cabin and sleeping for about an hour. Was well worth the time and the $25. I of course tipped the instructor. 

Edited by David Richard
  • Like 1

This event really does appear to depend tremendously on who does it.  Some have more "audience participation" and others not so much.  Some have more samples, and others not so much.  Some have a great time, and for us . . . not so much.

Our experience was listening to talk for a good, long while (at least a half hour or so) before he even started making a cocktail.  It did run about 90 minutes, but it was scheduled for only an hour, so some folks had to leave early.  The "fun" part was mostly in that last 30 minutes.  The cocktails he did make were his own creations.  They were delicious and interesting, but you pretty much needed him to make them while he was at the World Class Bar if you wanted another one.

Our mixologist was very personable, knowledgeable, and skilled.  We loved him, and I was always happy to see him on board.  However, the actual event was not all that great.