no straighteners no hair dryers to be taken on Virtuosa

I've been on numerous different cruise lines and hairdryers and straighteners have always been allowed, which would also beg the question why would MSC allow you to take multi sockets on board as you could potentially overload these. There are obviously appliances which are definitely banned such as irons.

Someone did ask this very same question about hairdryers and straighteners in a previous post and regular guests who had cruised with MSC confirmed that you could take both these items on board, hopefully you've been misadvised as I am taking straighteners with me.

Edited by NightWoman

3 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

I've always found the hairdryers provided in the cabin to be quite adequate.  Not as fast as what I use at home, but does the job.  And I have long, very thick hair.

Shipgeeks has the correct response.

All ships have their own hair dryers with power supplies designed to be friendly to the cruise ship's delicate electrical systems.

The only reason anyone hasn't had any problems smuggling a hair dryer, an iron, a bottle of booze or a bomb on board is because they haven't been caught yet.

I’ve taken my own blow dryer without issue. I actually ended up using the ship’s on Seaside (as I gave mine to friend’s teenage daughter to use as she forgot hers)-and it did a good job. Divina was a definite no. 

Image from this thread started on 2017, but i haven't seen any change in policy since

UPDATED:- ALL the INFO (in table form) on EXPERIENCES, MSC CLUB, SERVICE CHARGES etc

http://i1210.photobucket.com/albums/cc410/skier6666/msc%20brochure%20info/cc%20all%20info%20thraed/hair%20straighteners.jpg

Pete

1 minute ago, Skier52 said:

Image from this thread started on 2017, but i haven't seen any change in policy since

UPDATED:- ALL the INFO (in table form) on EXPERIENCES, MSC CLUB, SERVICE CHARGES etc

http://i1210.photobucket.com/albums/cc410/skier6666/msc brochure info/cc all info thraed/hair straighteners.jpg

Pete

post #7 is the place to look at

http://i1210.photobucket.com/albums/cc410/skier6666/msc%20brochure%20info/cc%20all%20info%20thraed/hair%20straighteners.jpg

I think the crux of the matter is the fire danger.  Cruise ship hair dryers only run while the button is held down, so they can't be left on the counter and still be hot.  Home-use appliances can usually be set down and still produce heat.

I imagine the chance of being detected is not 100%, but the possibility is there.  When we disembark, I always look at the table where confiscated items are put out to be reclaimed.  Most are irons, but there are quite a few items of many kinds.

3 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

I think the crux of the matter is the fire danger.  Cruise ship hair dryers only run while the button is held down, so they can't be left on the counter and still be hot.  Home-use appliances can usually be set down and still produce heat.

I imagine the chance of being detected is not 100%, but the possibility is there.  When we disembark, I always look at the table where confiscated items are put out to be reclaimed.  Most are irons, but there are quite a few items of many kinds.

You are absolutely correct

This is from the online UK brochure today

14a_heating_elements.gif?width=450&heigh

Pete

• 1 year later...

Hi, first time on a cruise. I see reviews about hair straighteners -  see some sites say you can’t take them on MSC and then on here people do. Would like to know anyone travelling recently if you took the risk of taking yours and if so, where did you pack them - case or hand luggage? I will look like a wild Crystal Tipps (cartoon character with very very frizzy hair). Any other tips for a first timer greatly appreciate! Thanks

On 5/4/2021 at 12:53 PM, kernow said:

I've taken mine on MSC before and will be taking them with me on Virtuosa.☺️

I am repeating my question here..but notice we’re on virtuosa- did you get them on? 

Edited by Bonbon Baker

7 hours ago, Bonbon Baker said:

I am repeating my question here..but notice we’re on virtuosa- did you get them on? 

Yes, currently onboard and have them with me.

On 5/4/2021 at 7:13 AM, CruisingFox27 said:

I've always taken straighteners and never had an issue. 

Hanging your head over the balcony is more effective than the hairdryer provided in the cabin 😂

Ha ha I actually did this on my Celebrity Galaxy cruise years ago.  I had an ocean view (no balcony)  toward the back and there was always another lady out on the open back deck of the ship doing the same thing!