Extending a Future Cruise Deposit

dickinson

I have a FCD that I bought in July 2019 but have never used it.  It is set to expire July 17.  I know I have read here last year of people getting them extended.  I just called Princess and was told it could be extended to a Sail By date of Dec 31, 2022.  I said that usually they have a Book By date and can be used for a cruise possibly as far out as two years but I wasn't sure of the two years so I asked when do I have to Book By?  I was told this was how they were doing it now due to the pandemic and I can book any time up til Dec 31 2022 and sail by that date too.

Does this sound right?

27 minutes ago, ceilidh1 said:

I just got a FCD extended last week and it was to Dec 31 2022. I believe they are using this date as that is the date the FCCs were extended to.

What did they tell you the book by date was?

I had an FCC that I purchased in 2019.  I had used it for a cruise I booked for January 2021.  That was cancelled.  I was told the FCC had to be used on a cruise that sailed before the end of 2022.  I just used the same FCC for a cruise in February 2023.  

6 minutes ago, goldiemom said:

I had an FCC that I purchased in 2019.  I had used it for a cruise I booked for January 2021.  That was cancelled.  I was told the FCC had to be used on a cruise that sailed before the end of 2022.  I just used the same FCC for a cruise in February 2023.  

So even though you were told you had to use by end of 2022 you used it for 2023?  My personalizer now says my FCD expires: sail by Dec 31, 2022.  I doubt anyone would let me use it in 2023.  I was hoping it would have been extended into  2023.

A few months ago we had 7 unused FCD's each. By calling Princess we were able to get them extended. At first mixed book by and sail by dates were applied and some were so close as not to be functional. I called back and was able to get them all extended to book by dates. Four of them were extended until the summer months of 2023, and three were extended until February 2024. I might have made the request before Princess had a set policy, don't know for sure. We might have also been accommodated because for a while now we have been milestone customers.

2 hours ago, skynight said:

A few months ago we had 7 unused FCD's each. By calling Princess we were able to get them extended. At first mixed book by and sail by dates were applied and some were so close as not to be functional. I called back and was able to get them all extended to book by dates. Four of them were extended until the summer months of 2023, and three were extended until February 2024. I might have made the request before Princess had a set policy, don't know for sure. We might have also been accommodated because for a while now we have been milestone customers.

Luckily you have time to use all these FCD. I don’t remember.... if your FCD is book by a certain date how far into the future after that can you book a cruise?  I’m thinking two years. 

I called my TA and he made it happen.  I will add that when my cruise was cancelled (actually two separate cruises where cancelled that I had used the FCC for) and I said I would not be able to use it until early 2023, he said it should be no problem.  He stated that Princess is trying to be flexible due to all the cancellations due to the pandemic.  They really do want our money! 

9 hours ago, dickinson said:

Luckily you have time to use all these FCD. I don’t remember.... if your FCD is book by a certain date how far into the future after that can you book a cruise?  I’m thinking two years. 

FCD's have book by dates which are valid for 2 years from purchase. Sometimes they can be extended if requested. You can book any cruise that is available for booking, no time restrictions, although Princess normally does not make sailings available further then two years in advance. 

1 hour ago, skynight said:

FCD's have book by dates which are valid for 2 years from purchase. Sometimes they can be extended if requested. You can book any cruise that is available for booking, no time restrictions, although Princess normally does not make sailings available further then two years in advance. 

Thanks.  I tried googling but nothing I found had mentioned anything about how far into the future you could book.  Just my hazy memory of what I have read on here over the years 😉  

23 hours ago, ceilidh1 said:

I just got a FCD extended last week and it was to Dec 31 2022. I believe they are using this date as that is the date the FCCs were extended to.

Did you get it extended as an FCD not an FCC? IMHO the primary benefit of an FCD is that it covers the deposit in full. I get enough OBC especially if PCL follows NCL's guidelines of not requiring only ship's shore excursions 

Just now, Ombud said:

Did you get it extended as an FCD not an FCC? IMHO the primary benefit of an FCD is that it covers the deposit in full. I get enough OBC especially if PCL follows NCL's guidelines of not requiring only ship's shore excursions 

My FCD was extended as an FCD - covered my deposit (which was over $2,000CAD!!!!!) plus gave me $100 OBC. I wish I had thought to do this on an FCD I had attached to a booking that was cancelled. It had expired so they sent me a cheque...lesson learned.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ceilidh1 said:

My FCD was extended as an FCD - covered my deposit (which was over $2,000CAD!!!!!) plus gave me $100 OBC. I wish I had thought to do this on an FCD I had attached to a booking that was cancelled. It had expired so they sent me a cheque...lesson learned.

How would you have extended a FCD that was already on a booking?  We have one booking which is for this October in the Med.  Not convinced it will actually go.  Might also get changed to seven days instead of the 11 days because Princess changed all the summer cruises ending two weeks before ours starts to 7 days only.  If they cancel or change this cruise my FCD will be expired .  Because it is expired wouldn't they automatically refund it and not give me a chance to extend it?  If I called now, would they extend it with it already on a booking after the expiration date of FCD?

When I spoke with my PVP a few months ago, I asked about having our other FCD extended as it was maturing in April 2021.

She said she could not do anything and maybe someone might contact me to have the date extended. Well I forgot about it and they credited our credit card back for that FCD. Oh well. We will get more the next time we sail.

So, if you do have a FCD coming due I suggest you call them and see if they will extend it.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, dickinson said:

How would you have extended a FCD that was already on a booking?  We have one booking which is for this October in the Med.  Not convinced it will actually go.  Might also get changed to seven days instead of the 11 days because Princess changed all the summer cruises ending two weeks before ours starts to 7 days only.  If they cancel or change this cruise my FCD will be expired .  Because it is expired wouldn't they automatically refund it and not give me a chance to extend it?  If I called now, would they extend it with it already on a booking after the expiration date of FCD?

If you know the booking will be cancelled, you can call before they refund the FCD and ask them to either move to a different booking (they will extend it to apply to booking) or extend it and have it put back to your account.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ceilidh1 said:

If you know the booking will be cancelled, you can call before they refund the FCD and ask them to either move to a different booking (they will extend it to apply to booking) or extend it and have it put back to your account.

Thanks!  I'll try to remember that in case it is cancelled.  At that point I will have to decide if it is worth staying on hold for a long time with lots of people calling in or just get the refund.  

6 hours ago, ceilidh1 said:

OK!! Thats a good solution. I'll hold off on canceling December 2021 Queensland as I doubt Australia will let USA in. Stick on 2023 Japan once comes out and put it there (i already booked 3/2023 Australia). 

Anyone know when 2023 Japan comes out??

12 hours ago, greenie082756 said:

When I spoke with my PVP a few months ago, I asked about having our other FCD extended as it was maturing in April 2021.

She said she could not do anything

Step number 1 when this happens: Call and speak with someone else.

Step number 2: if next contact also cannot make it happen, repeat step 1.

I find I have a 50% success rate when calling to ask for an FCD extension.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, caribill said:

Step number 1 when this happens: Call and speak with someone else.

Step number 2: if next contact also cannot make it happen, repeat step 1.

I find I have a 50% success rate when calling to ask for an FCD extension.

Until how long have you had them extended?

On 5/6/2021 at 6:20 PM, Ombud said:

OK!! Thats a good solution. I'll hold off on canceling December 2021 Queensland as I doubt Australia will let USA in. Stick on 2023 Japan once comes out and put it there (i already booked 3/2023 Australia). 

Sent PVP an email canceling December 2021 after hours. I had it back as FCD by noon. PVP originally said it would take awhile but that was to get it extended. Unfortunately it still must be used or refunded by 7/25/21.

Again:

On 5/6/2021 at 6:20 PM, Ombud said:

On 5/6/2021 at 11:58 AM, greenie082756 said:

She said she could not do anything and maybe someone might contact me to have the date extended. Well I forgot about it and they credited our credit card back for that FCD. Oh well. We will get more the next time we sail.

So, if you do have a FCD coming due I suggest you call them and see if they will extend it.

I had the same problem.  I mistakenly understood that the unused FCDs would be extended.  I was not very pleased when I learned they had been refunded.  My PVP told me that the FCD couldn’t be replaced in my bank, but she made a remark in my file that the OBC would be granted on a future booking.  That is good, but I really like being able to use the FCD as a full deposit on a cruise. 

Yes, if you do have any credits nearing their expiration date, do call for an extension.

• Like 1