Parents Rejoice: children ARE allowed to cruise out of the US this summer!

The place I went for my shot asked me if I'd had Covid-19 within the 90 day period preceding my vaccination. Since the injection and Covid itself both work by triggering the immune system, it's my understanding that a vaccination facility might refuse to inoculate someone who'd had a recent bout with Covid. I realize that's separate from someone not wanting the vaccine AT ALL, but it helps answer the oft-asked question "why wouldn't someone get the shot"?

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, exm said:

See it as a booster shot.

Antibodies are antibodies. If your antibody level is high enough you don't need a booster. Often when adults are hired into certain jobs, or teens go off to college, they need to have immunity to certain diseases that they have had, or been vaccinated for, in childhood. We check antibody levels and if they are adequate we do not revaccinate just to reach some higher level. Chicken pox is one example. I still have adequate antibody levels from an infection that I had when I was 6 years old.... that was a long time ago.

Mysteriously, there hasn’t been much of an emphasis on therapeutics for the treatment of COVID-19.  

It’s great that vaccines are available to those at risk and those who want to take it in an effort to boost their immunity, but taking one should be a choice IMO.  One of my family members, who is 69 hadn’t been sick in more than three years, got sick three days after their second Moderna shot and was sick for over two weeks with body aches, lethargic, head/sinus congestion, and headache (felt like crap overall).    

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, atgood said:

Mysteriously, there hasn’t been much of an emphasis on therapeutics for the treatment of COVID-19.  

It’s great that vaccines are available to those at risk and those who want to take it in an effort to boost their immunity, but taking one should be a choice IMO.  One of my family members, who is 69 hadn’t been sick in more than three years, got sick three days after their second Moderna shot and was sick for over two weeks with body aches, lethargic, head/sinus congestion, and headache (felt like crap overall).    

Sounds like possibly you subscribe to the theory that is is preferable to treat disease rather than prevent it?

11 hours ago, atgood said:

Since you didn’t mention one I will.  A legitimate reason for not getting the vaccine would be if one already had CV-19 and they still have a high level of anti-bodies.

There’s no need for that person to get the vaccine.  

That would go against current recommendations. 

• Like 1

There is also a difference in the antibodies your body creates when exposed to the full Covid virus compared to those from when your body is exposed to only a very small part of the Covid Vaccine. The vaccine purposefully only has a small part of the virus surface so that your body creates antibodies that are designed to match that small part of the surface. The small part of the virus is picked because the scientists think that part is more stable and less likely to change. From a natural exposure, your body is free to create antibodies that work anywhere on the virus surface, including those areas that are more likely to change from mutations.

Think of the virus surface as covered in locks, and your antibodies a key that works only on 1 of the locks, possibly 2 or 3 if the key is jiggled just right. Now, certain locks are more likely to change and others are less likely.  If your key is for a lock that is changed or is no longer there, then it is useless to fighting off what your body thinks is a new virus. Think of all of the different stands of flue, each one has a different set of locks.

Now, with the new mRNA vaccines, they can select locks that are more stable since they are core to the virus design, these are likely the more difficult locks to create keys for, but they work more as a universal or master key across multiple stands or mutations of the virus.

On 5/5/2021 at 10:18 PM, smokeybandit said:

Out of irrational fear. Then half the schools reopened when they learned that their fears were unfounded. The rest stayed closed due to teachers unions enjoying not working.

I don't think in the beginning when they closed schools that it was out of irrational fear but out of people dying of the unknown.  People who become teachers don't do it for the paycheck but do it because they care about children.   Believe me, they don't get paid enough to put up with half the stuff they put up with. 

When classes went virtual teachers had to work twice as hard.  They already had lesson plans together now they had to tape lessons and upload them, be available to answer questions and assist at all times of the day.  Some lessons plans could not be converted to online so they had to redo it.  They were responsible for tracking kids down and these kids were more interested in working than in doing school work.  

Teachers did work, actually they worked harder.  In working virtually they were trying to protect parents, their children, and possible themselves (if elderly or with underlying health conditions.).  I am not a teacher but a secretary in a high school who observed all of this.  Teachers did not have it easy by any means but had a really hard job.  My hats off to them for the wonderful job they did.  

Edited by rs45thompson
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/10/2021 at 1:26 PM, coffeebean said:

Let's not forget, the scenario involved a 40 year old working from home and getting groceries delivered.

The 17 year old works in the public and attends in person learning in school. Also, very importantly, as you said, "17  year olds generally don't die or even get sick from Covid". That there alone is one of the reasons why this virus spreads and the 17 year old has no idea he is spreading the virus if he is infectious without symptoms.

My deduction is the 17 year old is more of a risk to the community for spread of this virus than the 40 year old.

Just my opinion, of course.

Cite any literature reflecting that asymptomatic teenagers have infected people than a typical 40 year old.....

10 hours ago, ChutChut said:

Cite any literature reflecting that asymptomatic teenagers have infected people than a typical 40 year old.....

I think the point was that a teenager who goes to school in person, and has a job (most likely retail) is out in the community more than a 40 year old who works from home, and doesn't even go out to get groceries.  Being out in the community more increases your chances of getting/spreading COVID. 

It wasn't about how teenagers, as a group, are more likely to be spreading the virus compared to 40 year olds, as group.

• Like 1