Welcome Back Cruises 2021 - Malta & Adriatic Cruises and General Discussion

JM0115

4 hours ago, LindaS272 said:

Thanks for these—very helpful!

I look forward to Kotor info. Our morning tour—Highlights of Montenegro—leaves about 8:45 and returns at 2 pm but only mention of food is local “samples” (ham, cheese) even though the description does not indicate “snack.” This is a tender port, I believe, so no time to pop back onboard for food before our walking tour at 2:45. Oops! I have blood sugar issues and will need more than snacks probably.

Freddy—do you know if we’re allowed to bring food ashore in Kotor?

When I originally booked it, the Highlights tour was listed as 3 1/2 hours. I had 2 hours to eat lunch, and then the walking tour at 3pm. They changed the Highlights tour to 5 1/2 hours, making it impossible to now do the walking tour. I guess I’ll just talk to guest services when I’m on the ship, and see what they can do.

54 minutes ago, LindaS272 said:

In our case there’s only 45 minutes between return of morning excursion (2:00) and walking excursion (2:45) and ours is designated as a tender port right now so there would be no time to return to the ship for lunch and wouldn’t make sense to go back to the ship to join the next tour. I’ll have to squirrel something away ;-).

One can hope conditions on the ground may change by Sept. When is your cruise rizello?

Hi, our cruise is August 13, and we are on the Greek Isles itinerary.

We assumed that for our tender port (Santornini) that we would have to tender back to shore, eat lunch, then tender back to Santorini for our afternoon excursion.  It is tight for us also, but we figured we could order room service lunch if necessary.

1 hour ago, travelguy19 said:

When I originally booked it, the Highlights tour was listed as 3 1/2 hours. I had 2 hours to eat lunch, and then the walking tour at 3pm. They changed the Highlights tour to 5 1/2 hours, making it impossible to now do the walking tour. I guess I’ll just talk to guest services when I’m on the ship, and see what they can do.

I remember that you said the time was changed on the Highlights tour. Though our tour ends at 2 pm, we expect to make the walking tour at 2:45, provided we’re able to bring a sandwich with us for the first tour (and provided that I don’t wilt in the heat! 🙂

Maybe their “snacks” will be more substantial than indicated. Interesting that the system for booking won’t let you book a tour that ends within 45 minutes of a dinner reservation but it will let you book tight connections on tours that don’t allow for meals.

Edited by LindaS272

6 hours ago, gma1 said:

Soooo helpful! Viking 2004 what cruise are you on?  Maybe same as us? We are on 21 day August 30...leaving on 29th from Dulles airport, live in DC area, on Austrian Airlines to Vienna, for 2 hr. layover & on to to Malta airlines.Both are partner airlines to United. Viking did our air this time. Coming back on Viking Charter from Newark.

We’re ahead of you on the Venus and will (hopefully) be on our way a week from today. Crossing my fingers🤞

• Like 1

Want to thank everyone for all the information on this thread.  You have all been so helpful. This will be our 3rd Viking Ocean.  We are on the Venus September 2, and looking forward to venturing on our first cruise since January 2020.  We don’t mind being in a bubble as we would not have booked this cruise if everyone was not required to be vaccinated.  We are leaving from LAX non stop to Newark, then on the charter Lufthansa To Malta.  Have been able to book all included tours, may cancel Rhodes and do an option but will see when we are onboard. Had to call Viking to make our “Restaurant “ reservations. Specialty restaurants will be made onboard.  Will buy the Silver spirit package with our SBC and just enjoy being away.

Can’t  wait. 

• Like 4

8 hours ago, rizello said:

Hi, our cruise is August 13, and we are on the Greek Isles itinerary.

We assumed that for our tender port (Santornini) that we would have to tender back to shore, eat lunch, then tender back to Santorini for our afternoon excursion.  It is tight for us also, but we figured we could order room service lunch if necessary.

I’ll let you know how that goes! I’m leaving on Friday for my cruise which is the Greek Isles one. I’ve got two excursions booked for every single port except for in Rhodes. In Santorini I am doing the Pyrgos & Megalochori excursion first thing in the morning, followed by the Wine Tasting in Oia. It will be pretty tight - with roughly an hour to hour in a half between.

Zadar today a lovely welcome from the locals, traditional dancing and music

Again I've made an attempt to do the daily 

IMG_20210727_0841333.thumb.jpg.29bc7142108a5b64fdb65816333ad4cb.jpgToday we remembered to check our tour tickets and yes, our 10:35 is now 9:40 😀

IMG_20210727_0840599.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Alan2504 said:

Zadar today a lovely welcome from the locals, traditional dancing and music

Again I've made an attempt to do the daily 

IMG_20210727_0841333.thumb.jpg.29bc7142108a5b64fdb65816333ad4cb.jpgToday we remembered to check our tour tickets and yes, our 10:35 is now 9:40 😀

IMG_20210727_0840599.jpg

Thank you very much! It’s great to be updated and to know the cruise is going so well. We can wait to be on board. Enjoy the rest of the cruise. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, FirstTimeFreddy said:

Don't worry Les, when you're on the Venus and I'm stuck in London, I'll be green with envy and weeping into my cup of tea 🤣

Yeh I know, but now is nicer - especially with only 136 guests on board.

Though things have changed. I did manage to get this cruise swapped over to September and stayed on the Venus, even though it was the Greek Islands part of the duo for this sailing. Now that Greece looks like going Amber plus (Where do they do these names up lol!) I wouldn't be able to go if it did as we'd need to quarantine on our return. I'd be ok, but wife can't do that.

I spoke to Viking yesterday to ask if we could go back  to the original booking itinerary they'd given to me on Viking Sea because of the very real concerns about what was likely to happen and reiterate I'd asked for the alternative because I wanted to remain on the new ship. (Not realising they are all the same!)

The response wasn't what I expected. I had been hoping it wouldn't have been a problem, but Viking declined to allow me to do so as the booking carried a price guarantee and would let me only if I paid the current full price. Luckily, the lovely Jo I'd been speaking with suggested I emailed customer services and I'm very relieved (and very grateful) that I've persuaded them to relent and let me go back to the original itinerary you are on now sailing on 19 September..... So keep writing the details! lol

Always good to express gratitude and I have to say, its a real feelgood feeling to date the way Viking have dealt with my booking. 

Edited by les37b
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, les37b said:

Yeh I know, but now is nicer - especially with only 136 guests on board.

Though things have changed. I did manage to get this cruise swapped over to September and stayed on the Venus, even though it was the Greek Islands part of the duo for this sailing. Now that Greece looks like going Amber plus (Where do they do these names up lol!) I won't be able to go as we'd need to quarantine on our return. I'd be ok, but wife can't do that.

I spoke to Viking yesterday to ask if we could go back  to the original booking itinerary they'd given to me on Viking Sea because of the very real concerns about what was likely to happen and reiterate I'd asked for the alternative because I wanted to remain on the new ship. (Not realising they are all the same!)

The response wasn't what I expected. I had been hoping it wouldn't have been a problem, but Viking declined to allow me to do so as the booking carried a price guarantee and would let me only if I paid the current full price. Luckily, the lovely Jo I'd been speaking with suggested I emailed customer services and I'm very relieved (and very grateful) that I've persuaded them to relent and let me go back to the original itinerary you are on now saling on 19 September..... So keep writing the details! lol

Always good to express gratitude and I have to say, its a real feelgood feeling to date the way Viking have dealt with my booking. 

We would've liked to do the Greek itinerary also but my holiday dates are fixed with my employer, so that was out of the question. Another time maybe. So pleased Viking have relented to allow you to cruise on the Venus itinerary once again. 👍 Today we're in Kotor and it's simply beautiful. Be sure to have a soak in the infinity pool whilst taking in the stunning scenery 👌 If you take the walking tour be warned that there's little shade anywhere, so be sure to take extra water and maybe the Viking Umbrella provided to you in your wardrobe 🌞

20210727_115030.jpg

20210727_114944.jpg

20210727_114935.jpg

20210727_111017.jpg

20210727_111002.jpg

20210727_110950.jpg

20210727_110945.jpg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

**NEWS REGARDING CROATIAN PORT STOPS**

Viking in cooperation with the Croatian authorities have now made it possible to roam freely at all Croatian port stops from Wednesday 28th July. This means that once you've completed your required morning PCR test, health screening questionnaire and temperature check, you'll be able to roam the cruise ports to your heart's content.

This means Shopping, Bars, Restaurants, as well as the freedom to create your own itinerary.

You must still take every precaution possible to keep yourself and the crew safe from Covid-19 and Vikingare asking you to remain masked. However  this is fantastic news for our cruise and all those that follow.

This DOESN'T apply to Montenegro or Malta. Only Croatia at this stage. 🥳😉

Edited by FirstTimeFreddy
  • Like 11

11 minutes ago, FirstTimeFreddy said:

Viking in cooperation with the Croatian authorities have now made it possible to roam freely at all Croatian port stops from Wednesday 28th July. This means that once you've completed your required morning PCR test, health screening questionnaire and temperature check, you'll be able to roam the cruise ports to your heart's content.

This means Shopping, Bars, Restaurants, as well as the freedom to create your own itinerary.

You must still take every precaution possible to keep yourself and the crew safe from Covid-19 and Vikingare asking you to remain masked. However  this is fantastic news for our cruise and all those that follow.

WOHOOO 🥳👍. Thanks (again) for keeping us up-to-date😃

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, FirstTimeFreddy said:

That's fabulous news, Freddy! Let's hope Malta and Montenegro follow suit.

Thanks for keeping us posted. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, FirstTimeFreddy said:

We would've liked to do the Greek itinerary also but my holiday dates are fixed with my employer, so that was out of the question. Another time maybe. So pleased Viking have relented to allow you to cruise on the Venus itinerary once again. 👍 Today we're in Kotor and it's simply beautiful. Be sure to have a soak in the infinity pool whilst taking in the stunning scenery 👌 If you take the walking tour be warned that there's little shade anywhere, so be sure to take extra water and maybe the Viking Umbrella provided to you in your wardrobe 🌞

20210727_115030.jpg

20210727_114944.jpg

20210727_114935.jpg

20210727_111017.jpg

20210727_111002.jpg

20210727_110950.jpg

20210727_110945.jpg

Great photos my friend. It reminds me of both Greece and Italy. I also can feel some spanish vibes, vibes of the old world. Calm sea makes me calm sitting in front of the computer. Cant wait to enjoy this view myself one day. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, FirstTimeFreddy said:

Outstanding news!

8 hours ago, FirstTimeFreddy said:

This is wonderful news! Can I ask what your source is ? Since I’ve just awakened  in Dubrovnik and don’t see any official communications yet. 
And the high temperature today is supposedly only 86°, 10° lower than it was in Kotor. Things are improving!

8 hours ago, Roger88 said:

Great photos my friend. It reminds me of both Greece and Italy. I also can feel some spanish vibes, vibes of the old world. Calm sea makes me calm sitting in front of the computer. Cant wait to enjoy this view myself one day. 

It has been so calm on this trip that there have been times where I had to look outside to confirm that we’re actually moving. 

1 hour ago, Jchivers said:

This is wonderful news! Can I ask what your source is ? Since I’ve just awakened  in Dubrovnik and don’t see any official communications yet. 
And the high temperature today is supposedly only 86°, 10° lower than it was in Kotor. Things are improving!

Verity announced it last night in the theatre during the Beatles tribute. I take it you heard the tannoy announcement at 8am? 👍

To assist passengers, Viking are providing shuttle buses for all guests wishing to travel to, and return from Dubrovnik's old town. Buses leave on the hour from the ship until 3pm. They pick up at the Pile Gate on the half hour until 4.30pm. Viking would like you back on board no later than 5.30pm 🙂

• Like 3