What is Your Favorite Soups you had on your Cruise......

BklynBoy8

Years back the foodies in my family had a lot of theme dinners and one of them was Fondue night.

Cheese fondue, of course was featured but also

Plantains fried in a chicken fryer, cubes of beef in hot oil, fruits in melted marshmallow, and veggies in hot broth.

It was a magical night!

• Like 1

On 5/13/2021 at 3:36 AM, getting older slowly said:

soup on a cruise.... generally no,

I always try to order a hot soup as an appetizer the first night of a cruise.  If the soup meets my expectations, I have found that most everything else that I eat will do as well on that cruise.  

On 5/13/2021 at 3:36 AM, getting older slowly said:

homemade pea and ham

On 5/13/2021 at 1:04 PM, BklynBoy8 said:

good split pea soup using smoked ham hocks as flavoring.

HAL's Dutch Pea Soup is my favorite!  Consistently good from one HAL ship to another.  

• Like 1

On 5/13/2021 at 5:12 PM, CGTNORMANDIE said:

French onion soup...must be made with good beef stock.  

Agree.

On 5/13/2021 at 5:12 PM, CGTNORMANDIE said:

r with gruyere over a properly toasted crouton.  Anything less is not French onion soup.

Agree.  Most of the time that I have ordered it,  HAL's PG's Chef produces a good version of the soup.  

On 5/15/2021 at 5:25 AM, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Everyone loved fondue

Not me.  Too much "work" on my part is/was my opinion.  I tried it once with another dining companion.  Neither of us were "crazy" about this "new dining fad".  Fondues, in my opinion, are best suited for a social gathering of several diners.  

I think it is interesting, though, that in my community, a Fondue restaurant that was established many years ago is still in business and has survived the Covid restaurant business closures.  

3 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

Fondues, in my opinion, are best suited for a social gathering of several diners.  

Totally for social gatherings.

Gather around the "Pot" and social Dip !

1 hour ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

The worst onion soup...MSC.  They have no clue.  The best onion soup...SS France.  They owned the patent!  Princess and RCI were just so-so.  

Not toot my horn, but I really think Cunard does a class act with soups. On the QE2, QM2 and rest in peace from the past Caronia, I think because of the type of kitchens we've seen on tours. They make every effort with their proteins, bones and etc.. to use the essence not to waste anything. Like Jaquen Pepin says "Nothing in the kitchen should go to waste. Many things can be tossed in the Soup Pot".

Excellent broth's and consomme's......

7 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

Not toot my horn, but I really think Cunard does a class act with soups. On the QE2, QM2 and rest in peace from the past Caronia, I think because of the type of kitchens we've seen on tours. They make every effort with their proteins, bones and etc.. to use the essence not to waste anything. Like Jaquen Pepin says "Nothing in the kitchen should go to waste. Many things can be tossed in the Soup Pot".

Excellent broth's and consomme's......

Every great kitchen has a stockpot.  When I was a lad and worked at the Ritz we had a Saucier who could make every sauce known to mankind.  The stockpot was always full with every left over vegetable and bone.  The bones were always roasted with aromatics before they were dumped in the stockpot.  Every great soup or sauce must start with a good stock as its foundation.  

15 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

Not me.  Too much "work" on my part is/was my opinion.  I tried it once with another dining companion.  Neither of us were "crazy" about this "new dining fad".  Fondues, in my opinion, are best suited for a social gathering of several diners.  

I think it is interesting, though, that in my community, a Fondue restaurant that was established many years ago is still in business and has survived the Covid restaurant business closures.  

Actually, I never found fondue very hard to make but then I cook a lot of dishes that are hard and/or time-consuming.

It is definitely a social dish.  I can't imagine making it for just myself unless I was depressed and trying to relive better times.

We have a small chain of fondue places in my area as well.  I don't know if they made it through Covid but seem to be doing well up until that point.

They were fairly expensive and not close to our house and so we never tried it, I just kept hinting it would be a nice dinner to get as a birthday present.

4 hours ago, seamus69 said:

Actually, I never found fondue very hard to make but then I cook a lot of dishes that are hard and/or time-consuming.

It is definitely a social dish.  I can't imagine making it for just myself unless I was depressed and trying to relive better times.

We have a small chain of fondue places in my area as well.  I don't know if they made it through Covid but seem to be doing well up until that point.

They were fairly expensive and not close to our house and so we never tried it, I just kept hinting it would be a nice dinner to get as a birthday present.

The more we have to pay attention to our diets...as we age.  Fondue is a study in cholesterol.  As much as I love fondue my doctor says NO.  After losing my kidney function in 2018 my diet changed radically.  Cheese is a no-no on a kidney diet.

Sighhhhhh.

1 hour ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

The more we have to pay attention to our diets...as we age.  Fondue is a study in cholesterol.  As much as I love fondue my doctor says NO.  After losing my kidney function in 2018 my diet changed radically.  Cheese is a no-no on a kidney diet.

Sighhhhhh.

well that's a shame.  gotta listen to the doc...most of the time.

I was trying to find a lower cholesterol cheese that would still be worth making fondue with and struck out. 

Hopefully you will find other guilty culinary pleasures that will make you happy

Bon Appetit!

2 hours ago, seamus69 said:

well that's a shame.  gotta listen to the doc...most of the time.

I was trying to find a lower cholesterol cheese that would still be worth making fondue with and struck out. 

Hopefully you will find other guilty culinary pleasures that will make you happy

Bon Appetit!

Thanks Seamus the good news is that I am now getting closer to a kidney transplant.  That will enable me to indulge in infrequent pleasures...LOL.

• Like 1

On 5/23/2021 at 4:43 PM, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Thanks Seamus the good news is that I am now getting closer to a kidney transplant.  That will enable me to indulge in infrequent pleasures...LOL.

always nice when a medical procedure HELPS you indulge more instead of limiting you.  I wish you as much success with you kidney transplant as my sister had... 22 years, I think.  It was still working well when she passed away from unrelated issues.

9 hours ago, seamus69 said:

always nice when a medical procedure HELPS you indulge more instead of limiting you.  I wish you as much success with you kidney transplant as my sister had... 22 years, I think.  It was still working well when she passed away from unrelated issues.

Thanks Seamus.

On 5/23/2021 at 4:43 PM, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Hope you can indulge in Good Old Jewish Penicillin (Fresh Chicken Broth) during your recovery.

Congratulations too!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BklynBoy8 said:

Hope you can indulge in Good Old Jewish Penicillin (Fresh Chicken Broth) during your recovery.

Congratulations too!

Thanks BB I’d be looking for French onion soup with that gooey crouton!  The Jewish Penicillin has an honored place on my dance card especially with wide noodles!

• Haha 1

I had a french onion soup last night at EW Becks which had a very nice flavored broth, a nicely flavored but possibly stake rye bread, a nice cheese but not enough of it and none crusted to the side of the crock.  All-in-all a decent effort.

I also had a beef short rib poutine.  It was interesting and tasted good.  there were 3 medium sized breaded balls of shredded potato, with a little bit of the shredded short rib and it's gravy and a very little bit of melted cheese.  I missed having a crunchy element that you normally get from the fries but a decent appetizer that I might modify and try to make myself.

We had a great experience in the past. 

In the Mid 80's we went to the Trapp Family Lodge in Stowe Vermont. The original US home for the Von Trapp Family noted in the movie The Sound of Music. A wonderful experience to had. We stayed in the original Lodge before it burnt down but also stayed in the new Lodge that replaced it.

The one dish we enjoyed very much and try to copy it at home. Short Rib Beef Broth w Hint of Sherry and finely Julienne crepe strips... Well it was very well made to the point I always remembered it. I did get close to copying it.

I have always been happy that I have experienced some good experiences to remember.

I'm not sure if I ever had wonton soup on a cruise but I had it last night from my local take-our place and it was decent.  I really like the one at PF Changs; Chicken, pork and shrimp and the broth is great.  We share the big terrine of it between the two of us.

4 hours ago, seamus69 said:

I'm not sure if I ever had wonton soup on a cruise but I had it last night from my local take-our place and it was decent.  I really like the one at PF Changs; Chicken, pork and shrimp and the broth is great.  We share the big terrine of it between the two of us.

Did have a Hot & Sour Soup on the Mary 2 then Stir Fry and Lo Mein....When Asian - Kings Court.

Our take out has Wonton - Egg Drop and then a Wonton/Egg Drop mix.

4 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

Did have a Hot & Sour Soup on the Mary 2 then Stir Fry and Lo Mein....When Asian - Kings Court.

9 hours ago, seamus69 said:

wonton soup on a cruise but I had it last night from my local take-our place and it was decent.  I really like the one at PF Changs;

I like PF Changs as well.  I don't patronize my local restaurant very often, but everything that I have ordered has been very good.  (Stopped ordering the Lettuce Wraps, though.  Those became uninteresting for me.  Wonder if they are still on the menu?)

HAL's Lido Restaurants have an Asian Corner with different Asian cuisines each day of one's cruise.  A soup is always one of the choices and Won Ton, Hot and Sour, and Egg Drop Soup have all made appearances.  

Once in awhile, an oriental soup will appear on the MDR's Lunch or Dinner menu as well as the Indonesian dishes of Nasi Goreng with Krupuk and pickles.  Sambal is always available on a HAL ship in a variety of "heats".  But, it usually must be requested by the guest.  I remember asking my Dining Room Steward one evening for some Sambal--in the mildest of "heats".  He said:  "Are you sure?"  I replied in the affirmative and added a small quantity to whatever I was having.  It added to my enjoyment of what I was eating.   

Edited by rkacruiser

On 5/14/2021 at 5:01 PM, seamus69 said:

okay now you've done it!  melty cheeses makes be think of fondue!

Gruyere, Swiss, and a little white wine...accented with a little dry mustard and nutmeg!

Yes, yes, yes..........sounds fantastic😃

On 5/15/2021 at 10:48 AM, BklynBoy8 said:

As all say, everything in moderation can be enjoyed.

Also I too have to watch Carbs. Prone to weight gain.

I have to watch the carbs not only for the weight but Type 2 Diabetes.......I actually cannot remember the last time I had a potato. 

Years ago I had some wonderful chilled soups on Celebrity.......I remember one specific.....it was a Honey Pear soup.

It was not too sweet and had a wonderful flavor. 

• Like 1