What is Your Favorite Soups you had on your Cruise......

BklynBoy8

Hi friends, just returned from another cruise😀....I went to Alaska and had a marvelous time!

Had a couple of different soups.....creamed and delicious.  One was a creamed cauliflower and the other was a creamed carrot/coriander.  That might sound odd but it is DELICIOUS🙂 also had a creamed asparagus.  All  were soooooooooo good!!!!!!!

5 hours ago, Lois R said:

also had a creamed asparagus.

An asparagus cream soup is a favorite of mine as well.

I may have said this before on this thread.  I always order a soup as an appetizer as part of my first night's dinner on a ship.  I have found that if the soup is well prepared, then whatever else I order in the dining room will also usually meet my expectations.  

On 9/3/2021 at 10:01 PM, Lois R said:

Hi BB, did you get hit terribly by the flooding? Hope you and yours are all ok!

LR, we are great. Other parts of the 5 boros were effected and serious work to repair. We are lucky to be located by the VZ Bridge and are somewhat sheltered from floods and serious run off. Worst was NJ.

My DW hears that Fl has also got alot of rain from a work related friend.

BTW we are going to get one of the first cruise ships back in NY Harbor very soon. Means we will return seeing the return of the Cruise Ship Parade in and out of the harbor each weekend. 

Thk U, Ed......

• Thanks 1

• 4 months later...
4 hours ago, seamus69 said:

I was going to make potato soup today but just found out were we having company over so I have to make something more substantial...

My favorite soon will be Potato Leek Soup w Fresh Chives Fresh Freezed from this past Summer Garden.

23 minutes ago, BklynBoy8 said:

My favorite soon will be Potato Leek Soup w Fresh Chives Fresh Freezed from this past Summer Garden.

Funny you should mention that.  I recently made gembotti…a vegetable medley…onions, peppers, celery, zucchini, yellow squash, mushrooms, fire roasted tomatoes, herbs, garlic, grated cheese and sautéed potatoes.  This is served with fresh Italian bread.  Then we take the leftovers and make up a beef stock…viola…gembotti soup!  Fantastico!  This is also great with raviolis in the soup.  Raviolis in broth (brodo) is a northern Italian tradition…served with grated Parmesan or Romano…mmm mmm good.

16 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

I had already bought the leeks for my soup.  now I need to use them in the next few days.

I have a few pots of herbs in my sun room but the chives are nearly dead.  only the rosemary and parsley are thriving, the rest look so pitiful...

15 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Funny you should mention that.  I recently made gembotti…a vegetable medley…onions, peppers, celery, zucchini, yellow squash, mushrooms, fire roasted tomatoes, herbs, garlic, grated cheese and sautéed potatoes.  This is served with fresh Italian bread.  Then we take the leftovers and make up a beef stock…viola…gembotti soup!  Fantastico!  This is also great with raviolis in the soup.  Raviolis in broth (brodo) is a northern Italian tradition…served with grated Parmesan or Romano…mmm mmm good.

Sounds pretty good.  I usually have to have meat in my soup, but perhaps with the ravioli, I wouldn't miss it as much.

4 hours ago, seamus69 said:

I had already bought the leeks for my soup.  now I need to use them in the next few days.

I have a few pots of herbs in my sun room but the chives are nearly dead.  only the rosemary and parsley are thriving, the rest look so pitiful...

Sounds pretty good.  I usually have to have meat in my soup, but perhaps with the ravioli, I wouldn't miss it as much.

Sausage and cheese raviolis…just right!

13 hours ago, seamus69 said:

We have a pretty size balcony and we have quite an a ray of herbs like yours and more. I don't let my herbs go at the end of the season. I fresh water rinse them and then instantly freeze them after salad spin dry them and container them. I do that each year and have fresh herbs including chives like I had them in the summer to early fall. The fragrance of the herbs is powerful and inviting. They are taken and then returned to the freezer a.s.a.p.

I have harvested herbs prepared when the chill will affect them and have them till April/May when new plants are planted. When people know they are having fresh herbs in holiday dinner till Easter in their dishes, they are amazed and can't wait for the tastes. Don't let them go to waste.

On 2/6/2022 at 11:29 PM, BklynBoy8 said:

We have a pretty size balcony and we have quite an a ray of herbs like yours and more. I don't let my herbs go at the end of the season. I fresh water rinse them and then instantly freeze them after salad spin dry them and container them. I do that each year and have fresh herbs including chives like I had them in the summer to early fall. The fragrance of the herbs is powerful and inviting. They are taken and then returned to the freezer a.s.a.p.

I have harvested herbs prepared when the chill will affect them and have them till April/May when new plants are planted. When people know they are having fresh herbs in holiday dinner till Easter in their dishes, they are amazed and can't wait for the tastes. Don't let them go to waste.

freezing is a great way to go.  definitely better than dried from a jar.

We usually take a ride up to Lancaster, PA in the early spring to get fresh plants to plant in my herb beds on the deck.  We often stay the night at the Revere Inn and have a few drinks.  I can't wait!

9 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

All our herbs are flash frozen…especially the basil.  Not only does this insure freshness but it also makes it easier to chop up.  

I have been doing this for the last 7 years and feel bad that I had to rid the supply after the start of the new harvest season. No freeze burn but just use the newest and fresh.

We love opening the container and smelling the fresh fragrance. 

1 hour ago, BklynBoy8 said:

I have been doing this for the last 7 years and feel bad that I had to rid the supply after the start of the new harvest season. No freeze burn but just use the newest and fresh.

We love opening the container and smelling the fresh fragrance. 

Amen to that BB.  Nothing like the smell of fresh basil coming from a freezer bag no less…lol.  

• Thanks 1

I Haven't frozen any in several years since I have the sun room,  but I should freeze some of the more tender ones that don't  thrive in the sun room and often don't make it through the whole winter like my basil this year...and chives of all things.

12 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Amen to that BB.  Nothing like the smell of fresh basil coming from a freezer bag no less…lol.  

To see the faces of those eating at home and being told that this thyme, rosemary, chives, oregano is from a Oct 1st harvest. They can't believe the taste in especially dressings, oven roasted potatoes and even winter hearty soups. But the best are those cold morning omelettes and hash brown potatoes. 

I remember vacationing at a favorite resort on a cooking weekend and met the Famous NYT Food Editor Craig Claiborne. I had the opportunity to help him cook  during the weekend and he shared many tips. Even got his script I cherish on my NYT Cookbook.

That is why enjoy the Mary's Kitchen Tours and shares thoughts of theirs.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BklynBoy8 said:

To see the faces of those eating at home and being told that this thyme, rosemary, chives, oregano is from a Oct 1st harvest. They can't believe the taste in especially dressings, oven roasted potatoes and even winter hearty soups. But the best are those cold morning omelettes and hash brown potatoes. 

I remember vacationing at a favorite resort on a cooking weekend and met the Famous NYT Food Editor Craig Claiborne. I had the opportunity to help him cook  during the weekend and he shared many tips. Even got his script I cherish on my NYT Cookbook.

That is why enjoy the Mary's Kitchen Tours and shares thoughts of theirs.

Now I’m jealous.  I think Claiborne’s NYT Cookbook is one of the best for people who are trying to elevate their cooking skills to the next level.  His culinary knowledge was fantastic.  He was a favorite of Jacques Pepin.  They had many weekends of cooking together including Jacques wedding.  

28 minutes ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Now I’m jealous.  I think Claiborne’s NYT Cookbook is one of the best for people who are trying to elevate their cooking skills to the next level.  His culinary knowledge was fantastic.  He was a favorite of Jacques Pepin.  They had many weekends of cooking together including Jacques wedding.  

I just got out my copy that my Mom gave me when she started thinning  down her cookbook collection.  I used to use it for inspiration quite a bit.

2 hours ago, seamus69 said:

I just got out my copy that my Mom gave me when she started thinning  down her cookbook collection.  I used to use it for inspiration quite a bit.

All Claiborne’s writings are timeless.  My favorite was his Playboy interview circa 1970??

They asked him what he thought was the greatest restaurant in the world.  He didn’t even hesitate.  Claiborne stated, unequivocally,  it was the SS France.  Then he went on to state his reasons.  It boiled down to the 180 French chefs onboard and the extensive menus offered in both classes.  Having made two crossings on the France I’d have to emphatically agree.  

4 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

My favorites are Julia Child, Madeline Kamman who taught me how to read a steak in a cast iron pan (on TV), James Beard (once had a chance to cook in his home on West 12st St NYC but became sick), Jacques P. my all time favorite of all and Jacque Torres for his dessert and Chocolate Mastering. He Chocolate shop under the Manhattan Bridge has the best Triple Chocolate Hot Chocolate.

The French Chef was disgraced due to his personal legal actions..

But also growing up with the Galloping Gourmet Graham Kerr was always fun but learning. After his wife passed he approached the health learning of food handling and cooking.

1 hour ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

All Claiborne’s writings are timeless.  My favorite was his Playboy interview circa 1970??

They asked him what he thought was the greatest restaurant in the world.  He didn’t even hesitate.  Claiborne stated, unequivocally,  it was the SS France.  Then he went on to state his reasons.  It boiled down to the 180 French chefs onboard and the extensive menus offered in both classes.  Having made two crossings on the France I’d have to emphatically agree.  

One thing I have to honestly write. He was smart. But he was very strict during the time I met him. We became friend but you had to learn how to approach him and talk to him and speak to him.

He talked highly about his dear friend which I respected was Pierre Franey, Craig's Pal. I enjoy his cookbooks and TV PBS series... Once he was on Jacque's P's show...

2 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

My favorites are Julia Child, Madeline Kamman who taught me how to read a steak in a cast iron pan (on TV), James Beard (once had a chance to cook in his home on West 12st St NYC but became sick), Jacques P. my all time favorite of all and Jacque Torres for his dessert and Chocolate Mastering. He Chocolate shop under the Manhattan Bridge has the best Triple Chocolate Hot Chocolate.

The French Chef was disgraced due to his personal legal actions..

But also growing up with the Galloping Gourmet Graham Kerr was always fun but learning. After his wife passed he approached the health learning of food handling and cooking.

Wow…what memories.  My wife worked at a major Boston Bank in the Trust Dept.  She handled Julia’s Trust fund.  Julia inherited from her father out in California where she was born.  She used to write beautiful little post cards addressed to my wife…thanking her for handling the transfers.  Yes..,we saved them.  Madeline Kamman ran a cooking school in Brookline…back in the 60’s and 70’s.  She was well known as a pioneer in French cuisine.  Jacque Torres did make the best chocolate in NY City.  Graham Kerr was the absolute forerunner in haute cuisine…so drunk but so much fun!  He did love his vino…almost killed himself in a car accident.  Jacques Pepin almost got killed in a serious car accident…couldn’t walk for more than a year.  I also enjoyed Justin Wilson for his down to earth Cajun/Creole cuisine  There have been many scandals involving some of the greats.  Have you seen Chef Jean Pierre on YouTube?? He is a lot of fun.  

14 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Wow…what memories.  My wife worked at a major Boston Bank in the Trust Dept.  She handled Julia’s Trust fund.  Julia inherited from her father out in California where she was born.  She used to write beautiful little post cards addressed to my wife…thanking her for handling the transfers.  Yes..,we saved them.  Madeline Kamman ran a cooking school in Brookline…back in the 60’s and 70’s.  She was well known as a pioneer in French cuisine.  Jacque Torres did make the best chocolate in NY City.  Graham Kerr was the absolute forerunner in haute cuisine…so drunk but so much fun!  He did love his vino…almost killed himself in a car accident.  Jacques Pepin almost got killed in a serious car accident…couldn’t walk for more than a year.  I also enjoyed Justin Wilson for his down to earth Cajun/Creole cuisine  There have been many scandals involving some of the greats.  Have you seen Chef Jean Pierre on YouTube?? He is a lot of fun.  

JW......

' I GUARANTEE" !