Celebrity website inaccuracies about St. Maarten

rsail203

Celebrity certainly knows how to screw up their website. From the St. Maarten website:

• Testing: A negative COVID-19 PCR test result, taken within 5 days of travel is required, or alternately, a negative Antigen test taken within 48 hours or travel can be provided. Currently, the following Antigen tests have been approved: Abbott (CGIA Panbio COVID-19 Ag rapid test), Becton Dickinson (CGIA BD Veritor COVID-19 test) and Roche (SD Biosensor F test). Customers are required to upload their negative COVID-19 PCR or Antigen test results 

From the Celebrity website:

For Vaccinated Guests

• Government regulations require US & Canada visitors to present negative RT-PCR test results taken within 5 days prior to arrival. Visitors from all other countries must present negative RT-PCR test results taken within 3 days prior to arrival.
  • Be sure to save a copy on your phone or bring a printed copy. Name on test results must match those on government issued identification.
  • Upon embarkation, all guests are required to present negative RT PCR test results taken within 3 days prior to arrival. Negative test results required, and name on test results must match government issued identification.
  • Celebrity Cruises requires proof of vaccination in the form of the of the original printed proof of vaccination administered at least two weeks prior to sailing. No photocopies or photos accepted.

• No mention of the antigen tests.

Also on the Celebrity website link, it mentions only unvaccinated will get an antigen test at the terminal and Celebrity says all guests will get the test at the terminal.
thumbnail?appid=YMailNorrin&downloadWhenThumbnailFails=true&pid=2

Since we are on the June 5, 2021 cruise, and it is 24 days away, I wish Celebrity would send some form of communication regarding what we actually need prior to sailing.  I'm a planner and this confusion is stressful.  LOL 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We got an answer from a Celebrity rep through my TA:

"Guests must show a negative pcr test within 5 days of boarding

Their own expense.

Prior to disembarking,  we will provide an antigen tests for guests to enter into their respective countries."

It looks like Celebrity wants the pcr test, even though St. Maarten would accept the antigen test, so we'll have to go pcr.
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, rsail203 said:

We got an answer from a Celebrity rep through my TA:

"Guests must show a negative pcr test within 5 days of boarding

Their own expense.

Prior to disembarking,  we will provide an antigen tests for guests to enter into their respective countries."

It looks like Celebrity wants the pcr test, even though St. Maarten would accept the antigen test, so we'll have to go pcr.

Celebrity's requirements may exceed local requirements. In this case they do. They just reiterated again yesterday that a negative PCR test is required 3 days (or 5 days for US and Canadian citizens) prior to boarding, antigen test at the terminal and a second antigen test again 1-2 days before debarking. 

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Jeremiah1212 said:

Celebrity's requirements may exceed local requirements. In this case they do. They just reiterated again yesterday that a negative PCR test is required 3 days (or 5 days for US and Canadian citizens) prior to boarding, antigen test at the terminal and a second antigen test again 1-2 days before debarking. 

I think the website is confusing because it is trying to combine both requirements for St. Maarten and Greece in one statement.  The requirements for Millennium is 5 days and for Apex is 3 days.  Hopefully they will amend the site to reflect the separate sailings.

Just got off the phone with Celebrity. 

Indeed, the policy was updated yesterday, 11 May. The agent wasn't sure why the page still lists the St. Maarten travel requirements as 7 May, as they have definitely changed.

Per the agent, as of 11 May, all passengers WILL need a negative PCR test within three days or 72 hours of boarding in St Maarten. 

This means the latest you can get a PCR test in the States that would qualify (based on your check in time) would be Wednesday afternoon at some point. Keep in mind, you'll still need a PCR test for pre-admission to St. Maarten, so whether or not these can be the same with your arrival may vary. 

I expressed my frustration, and he said he'd speak to his supervisor about why we're not getting blast emails about the updates. I explained that had I not re-read the page today, I would not have seen that the guidelines changed dramatically. 

19 minutes ago, snyderc635 said:

Notice one of the posts above heard the test had to be done within 5 days, the other poster said 3 days.  What is it?  We need clarification!

And at one point they dropped it completely for vaccinated persons, just an antigen test at the pier. 

• Like 1

The problem isn't with the St. Maarten tests. It's with Celebrity. They only give you 3 days for a pcr test before embarkation, If you're flying in the same day no problem, but if you're coming in 2 or 3 days before the cruise, you need 2 different tests to satisfy St. Maarten, then embark on the cruise.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

Those are the guidelines for St. Maarten itself. They have been relatively stable and when they changed, made it even easier. The ones issued by Celebrity keep changing and the most recent change is more restrictive and extremely difficult if you already have air arrangements for arriving early in St. Maarten. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, snyderc635 said:

Notice one of the posts above heard the test had to be done within 5 days, the other poster said 3 days.  What is it?  We need clarification!

That's the whole point! Celebrity changed the requirement from five days to three days... and just randomly slipped that into the requirements posted on 7 May!

Literally, I copied and pasted the requirements into our roll call thread on Sunday morning, 9 May... and then when I looked at the page this morning they changed them... without even updating the page to say that they'd changed the requirements (they're still listed as the 7 May requirements). 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LGW59 said:

In this case, not so much. Getting into St Maarten and getting onto the ship are two different things. St. Maarten will allow entry with an antigen test... while Celebrity is requiring a negative PCR test within three days of boarding. The three day PCR result may be almost impossible for anyone arriving on St. Maarten early, or for anyone flying in day-of with a slow lab processing their test.

• Like 2

For what it’s worth I just called the Guest Relations Department as opposed to the Booking Department. I tried to very respectfully relate my frustration with the frequent changes in the Celebrity requirements and the lack of any communication to booked passengers. I was told that for each sailing the final requirements would appear on our documents when we complete the online check in. I expressed my concern that for some us flying in early that could be an issue. He indicated PCR tests were readily available in St. Maarten, of course at our own expense. I emphasized the need for open communication directly with booked passengers so we have time to study our options. He assured me my concerns would be forwarded, that there was no chance he would fail to escalate this. 

The May 7th is still on their site. It dropped the PCR test for guests for boarding if vaccinated. It also dropped the antigen at boarding. Island requirements stay the same (PCR 5 days out or antigen 2 days out from arrival on island)

Now on the agent call yeaterday Dondra says PCR to board within 5 days for SXM and 3 days for Greece and antigen prior to boarding for everyone. 

You guys are being told 72hrs for boarding now. 

This is insane. People are going to be turned away and its going to be a mess, esp on June 5th. 

I guess its time to just cancel the pre cruise stay and do it post cruise to ensure we have fresh RT PCR tests to cover all of these differing stories. 

So frustrating. 

16 minutes ago, BoundForSea said:

This timeline is new and put out yesterday on the Agents call from Dondra:  

Doesnt jive AT ALL with the May 7tg blurb

996E8437-740A-4DBE-801E-B3FD8CDAFA8C.jpeg

This is logical and easy to comply with. Let’s hope this gets published on the website. 

Just looked at this closer. In smaller print it still says ships except tests up to 5 days prior to boarding. Will be tight to get the test results back in time to file the SXM paperwork and ensure acceptance and still meet that requirement, but doable. 

4 hours ago, LGW59 said:

Hahaha  "Google is my friend?"  I'm not talking about entering St. Maarten.  Those requirements are quite clear.  I'm talking about the requirements to embark on the ship, as the information related to these requirements is unclear and continuously changing.  Your sarcasm and condescension is not helpful or appreciated. I find myself wondering why people come on these boards attempting to insult people who are trying to help each other and find out new information.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, snyderc635 said:

I suspect it’s 72 hours. I think you posted earlier that you spoke to Anthea the Shoreside Conciarge today. I had a long conversation with her too. I suspect that she will be our best source for accurate information but she needs time to get the answers together.

I posted last week that I wished Celebrity would communicate with us and the general reaction of those that responded was that I should shut up/consider cancelling and give them time to get it right before publication, which has obviously gone wrong.

Im glad that they have finally updated us with something as at least we have time to plan ahead and resolve any questions.

I believe that we all understand how fluid and changeable the situation is and the last thing we need is for them to postpone notifications until a few days prior to the sailing. Hopefully they will sort themselves out and keep us updated. You never know, we might have pointed out something they missed.

I have also asked for clarification on the 3 days/72 hour question.

The teams that make these decisions should be more transparent and ensure that their customer facing teams are updated regularly.

• Like 1

<5 DAYS ARRIVAL SXM* or ❤️ DAYS ARRIVAL GREECE** PRIOR TO TRAVEL TO SHIP 1 MILLENNIUM & APEX VACATION TIMELINE Guests 18+ obtain vaccine at least 14 days prior to sailing. Download Celebrity App for important updates. All guests obtain negative PCR test. Ships accept test from up to 5 days prior to boarding. All guests receive antigen test. Enjoy your Celebrity cruise! All guests receive antigen test to re-enter USA. Disembark, guests journey home.

Just now, rsail203 said:

<5 DAYS ARRIVAL SXM* or ❤️ DAYS ARRIVAL GREECE** PRIOR TO TRAVEL TO SHIP 1 MILLENNIUM & APEX VACATION TIMELINE Guests 18+ obtain vaccine at least 14 days prior to sailing. Download Celebrity App for important updates. All guests obtain negative PCR test. Ships accept test from up to 5 days prior to boarding. All guests receive antigen test. Enjoy your Celebrity cruise! All guests receive antigen test to re-enter USA. Disembark, guests journey home.

3 minutes ago, rsail203 said:

The above is from the Vacation Timeline which states "test from up to 5 days prior to boarding"

Edited by rsail203
correct quote