Luggage forwarding

1 hour ago, Cruiser John said:

Would like to hear fellow passengers experiences and recommendations with luggage forwarding. 

We’ve looked into it - mostly because we add pre/post cruise land stays to our relatively long  (month+\-) cruises. And our preferred cruise line has a working relationship with one of the established luggage services.

But, the price is a significant factor and it has weighed heavily (perhaps more than the luggage itself 😉) in our decision (so far) to pass on it.

For example, on one cruise from CPT, we did a safari beforehand followed by a few days in CPT. Luggage forwarding for the cruise would’ve saved us the trouble of worrying about the “big bags.” But, a pre-trip call to the CPT hotel concierge assured us that we could drop them off for storage before we arrived. That allowed us to minimize our safari duffels.

Nonetheless, and even though we pack for 10 day clothing rotations, 50 lb (or sometimes more if bizclass) 28” hard cases can be a handling challenge as geezers age. So, luggage forwarding remains on the radar.

it has been convenient service to rely on for long over seas trips. Expensive yes, but not having to lug around and worry about luggage making connecting flights is a bonus. They do ask that the luggage be sent 10 to 12 days prior. Directed to be sent to the hotel where we will be reunited.  There has been no damage to the luggage or contents. 

1 hour ago, Gail & Marty sailing away said:

I wish they had it to EUROPE

Its fairly typical for folks to use Cunard's affiliated service to have luggage [including formal clothing] to meet them in their cabin [Southampton] before a transatlantic return sailing.

In the unlikely case of Mrs Bear and I opting for a fly / cruise transatlantic [we like round trip sailings] we will likely use a forwarding service.

Our tablemates on our 2017 [and again in 2019] round trip crossings had the domestic airline loose a piece of luggage before the ship sailed. Apparently the luggage was found a couple of days after departure - but the airline was unwilling to attempt forwarding the bag to meet the ship.

Did it once: after a week in Rome then a week in England staying with my sister before we took a Celebrity repositioning from Harwich to Miami.  Our last day on board we repacked into one large and one small bag each.  After debarking, we picked up rental car and dropped the large bags at UPS before driving to the Keys for a few days before coming back to catch Amtrak Silver Meteor to NY - living out of the small, easy to handle, bags. Finally picked up large bags when we got home.

I suppose it was not what most people think of luggage forwarding, but it streamlined things.

Edited by navybankerteacher

Our preferred cruise line provides this service. We receive a package with labels and instructions about 4 weeks before the cruise. On receipt of the package, you call them to reserve a pick-up time, which was about 3 weeks before the cruise. We were provided a 3-hour pick-up window.

Driver arrived, picked up the bags and next time we saw them was in the cabin.

Great service.

• Like 1

In Japan, luggage forwarding, called Takuhaibin in Japanese, is very popular, inexpensive, and very reliable.

Bags can be sent from any point in Japan to any other point in Japan for US$10 - 20 per bag, depending on size. Regular delivery time is overnight, but is often same day if the distance is not too far. The delivery companies will also hold the bags for a week or more before delivering - if requested. 

Takuhaibin desks are at all Japan airports and seaports. Many of the larger hotels also have Takuhaibin services. You can also take your bags to nearly any convenience store, (“Kombini” in Japanese) 7-11, Family Mart, etc, where they will send the bags for you. 

7 hours ago, Gail & Marty sailing away said:

May I ask the cost

We have used Luggage Forward many times, although there are several other reputable companies out there too.  Google them and you will be able to calculate exactly how much it will cost.  It is wonderful just to get up and walk off your plane and out of the airport and be on your way.  Our luggage is always waiting for us in our cabin when we arrive at the ship, and when you disembark they will be waiting (usually just outside customs) to take your bags (which will be delivered to your home or wherever you specify).  Takes a literal load off our minds and backs.  Some things are worth the money.

• Like 1

When I've checked the prices it cost more than my airfare!  We're looking at 6 weeks in Europe between cruises in/out of the same port. So we're leave our spare luggage  probably at  the hotel we stay at - most hold it for free so long as you  spend a night there each side of the hold 

1 hour ago, lissie said:

When I've checked the prices it cost more than my airfare!  We're looking at 6 weeks in Europe between cruises in/out of the same port. So we're leave our spare luggage  probably at  the hotel we stay at - most hold it for free so long as you  spend a night there each side of the hold 

This makes sense on a mixed activity trip.  We spent a few days in Paris before a walking trip in Provence - when we left a couple of bags at the hotel, picking them up before catching the train to London.  It takes a bit of planning, but certainly is preferable to hauling a lot around with you.

11 hours ago, Silver Sweethearts said:

We have used Luggage Forward many times, although there are several other reputable companies out there too.  Google them and you will be able to calculate exactly how much it will cost.  It is wonderful just to get up and walk off your plane and out of the airport and be on your way.  Our luggage is always waiting for us in our cabin when we arrive at the ship, and when you disembark they will be waiting (usually just outside customs) to take your bags (which will be delivered to your home or wherever you specify).  Takes a literal load off our minds and backs.  Some things are worth the money.

agreed, after spending thousands of dollars on a vacation , I'm not one to quibble over a few hundred more for convenience. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

This makes sense on a mixed activity trip.  We spent a few days in Paris before a walking trip in Provence - when we left a couple of bags at the hotel, picking them up before catching the train to London.  It takes a bit of planning, but certainly is preferable to hauling a lot around with you.

I've also done it when combining a warm tropical holiday in Thailand on the way to Christmas in Europe.  Left a bag of winter clothes in the hotel in KL - cost us $20 or so for 3 weeks 

Edited by lissie

11 hours ago, George C said:

We have used luggage direct a few times , I think it was about 25 a bag but free for suites, we liked it , was not available at all ports.

Just checked NZ to Europe its US$529 for a 22 kg bag!