HAL PCC Question

Bruinboy

2 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Folks, the issue of PCCs is actually very simple and a matter of choice.  But folks who do use their PCC (or book directly with the cruise line through anyone else) should understand that they are generally paying an extra 7-10% (or more) for that privilege.  You can spin the issue anyway you please, but the savings when shopping around among some decent high volume cruise agencies is just a fact.  

For many years we thought this did not make a lot of sense for any cruise line and have asked two cruise lines (HAL and Princess) if they will simply match the deals we can get through their authorized cruise agencies.  In both cases we have simply been told that the cruise lines do not want to compete with travel/cruise agencies on price.   I will also say that having found some decent cruise agencies (who we have used for decades) the customer service we get from our cruise agencies exceeds what we can get from just about any cruise line.  With my favored agencies there is no waiting on hold, and I do not even need to call (most times a short e-mail is adequate).  If I do need help it is available quickly and with hours that are better then the cruise lines.

Hank

Thanks for the heads up, Hank. Now if I just know who these high volume cruise agencies happen to be. I guess it's off to Google search this afternoon!!!

2 hours ago, Hlitner said:

For many years we thought this did not make a lot of sense for any cruise line and have asked two cruise lines (HAL and Princess) if they will simply match the deals we can get through their authorized cruise agencies.  In both cases we have simply been told that the cruise lines do not want to compete with travel/cruise agencies on price. 

For many years this was true, when I asked my PCC if she could match I got the same response. Right after Ryndam (Now Rotterdam) cruises were first offered I booked the Premier Voyage. within the 60 day window now enforced for transfer I submitted a request to transfer. I was asked to provide a copy of the offer, and my PCC was told HAL would match the offer in order to keep it in house. I agreed and received the OBC I had been offered by the TA.

@Bruinboy Our experience with a PCC that was assigned to us is that it is taking him longer to get back to us no matter how we contact him. He lives near San Diego and works from home. He is happy to have a job and has never been on a cruise. We have been able to help him learn a few things about how HAL works and shared some hints on how he could help customers choose a cabin that will match their needs and desires. 

When he first started (after covid-19 shutdown) he was just doing the duties of a PCC. HAL has piled more work on him as time goes on and the response time correlates with the added work load.

As far as working with online agencies, it is not always clear if you are comparing apples to apples. Be careful to know what the bargain price includes. I know I can get a better price if I am willing to book a guaranteed cabin that cannot be cancelled; pay in full when booked. Sometimes that is an option. I prefer to choose my own cabin, but that costs more no matter whether you book with a PCC or a TA. 

Edited by HAL4NOW

4 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Folks, the issue of PCCs is actually very simple and a matter of choice.  But folks who do use their PCC (or book directly with the cruise line through anyone else) should understand that they are generally paying an extra 7-10% (or more) for that privilege.  You can spin the issue anyway you please, but the savings when shopping around among some decent high volume cruise agencies is just a fact.  

For many years we thought this did not make a lot of sense for any cruise line and have asked two cruise lines (HAL and Princess) if they will simply match the deals we can get through their authorized cruise agencies.  In both cases we have simply been told that the cruise lines do not want to compete with travel/cruise agencies on price.   I will also say that having found some decent cruise agencies (who we have used for decades) the customer service we get from our cruise agencies exceeds what we can get from just about any cruise line.  With my favored agencies there is no waiting on hold, and I do not even need to call (most times a short e-mail is adequate).  If I do need help it is available quickly and with hours that are better then the cruise lines.

Hank

While that might have been true previously I had had a quote from a discount TA that I presented to my PCC.  She was able to match that price.  It did take a week or so to be approved. I did have to have the price in an email.  It is always good to present the most recent information instead of what used to happen.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/18/2021 at 7:15 PM, Florida_gal_50 said:

I’m a 5 star and have no clout 😛so don’t feel bad.  My pcc is a little slower than usual but still acceptable.  What I do find lately is Hal’s customer service sucks.  I got charged twice when I called guest services for an item and she realized that she had done it.  It was pricy.  Both charges appeared on my credit card but no credit.  I got the royal run around.  They even told me my credit card was holding the credit.  It took about 2 weeks to get resolved and about 5 hours of my time.  Is this the gold standard for customer service?   You’d think they’d be a little nicer.

Had a similar experience. We had cancelled a NA Caribbean cruise for Jan. 2021 (actually the line cancelled eventually of course). Had also booked a cabana, paying in advance for two weeks. Received both credits (maybe not in a timely fashion) but then months later received a letter saying I owed for the Cabana. I sent the confirmation of cancellation to them and assumed things had been handled (heard nothing back). Then (8) mos later received another notice this time threatening to send my account to a collection agency.  Quite miffed I sent both previous communications to them and I received a 'snotty' e-mail claiming they had credited my CC account twice and I needed to submit payment (again under the threat of collections).I responded I did not see any duplicate credit and at any rate it was their job to rectify things with the credit card company in a timely fashion. I copied my PCC on this and received a 'I understand and I hope things work out' but I never received another response from HAL.  Maybe I will be confined to house arrest when we go on a 28 day cruise next year. Just a terrible way to manage things IMHO.

1 hour ago, chisoxfan said:

Had a similar experience. We had cancelled a NA Caribbean cruise for Jan. 2021 (actually the line cancelled eventually of course). Had also booked a cabana, paying in advance for two weeks. Received both credits (maybe not in a timely fashion) but then months later received a letter saying I owed for the Cabana. I sent the confirmation of cancellation to them and assumed things had been handled (heard nothing back). Then (8) mos later received another notice this time threatening to send my account to a collection agency.  Quite miffed I sent both previous communications to them and I received a 'snotty' e-mail claiming they had credited my CC account twice and I needed to submit payment (again under the threat of collections).I responded I did not see any duplicate credit and at any rate it was their job to rectify things with the credit card company in a timely fashion. I copied my PCC on this and received a 'I understand and I hope things work out' but I never received another response from HAL.  Maybe I will be confined to house arrest when we go on a 28 day cruise next year. Just a terrible way to manage things IMHO.

Yikes. If we are on the same cruise, we will visit you under house arrest and bring cookies!

3 hours ago, chisoxfan said:

Wow, those folks need to get it together.  How do they screw up so badly?

4 hours ago, chisoxfan said:

I think the traditional solution is you will be "keel hauled."  But your unfortunate tale just makes one more good reason why using a decent cruise/travel agent is a smart move.  In such a situation we would simply send a short e-mail to our cruise agent/agency and let them deal with the issue.  High volume agencies not only have better contacts, but they also have more clout then a cruiser.

Hank

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

I think the traditional solution is you will be "keel hauled."  But your unfortunate tale just makes one more good reason why using a decent cruise/travel agent is a smart move.  In such a situation we would simply send a short e-mail to our cruise agent/agency and let them deal with the issue.  High volume agencies not only have better contacts, but they also have more clout then a cruiser.

Hank

Could not agree more.   Plus...we are not loyal to any cruise line.  Our  TA advises of of great offers on various cruise lines plus feedback, positive or negative, from cruisers who have recently returned from cruising.  Both the good and the not so good.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

Hank

Does a ta handle issues with guest services?  The person you quoted had the issue with them, not with their booking.  

1 hour ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

Does a ta handle issues with guest services?  The person you quoted had the issue with them, not with their booking.  

Have no idea until it happens (and hope it never does).  I suspect my TA would intervene to the extent of calling her contact at the cruise line for help/guidance.

3 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

Have no idea until it happens (and hope it never does).  I suspect my TA would intervene to the extent of calling her contact at the cruise line for help/guidance.

So your post isn’t really relevant in that case 😛.  No shade, just wondering. 

4 minutes ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

So your post isn’t really relevant in that case 😛.  No shade, just wondering. 

It is relevant to the extent that when you use a decent agent/agency you have an advocate who has a strong motivation (wanting to keep the business) to solve problems.  Also keep in mind that unlike most cruisers who only interact with a cruise line a few times a year, a high volume agent is dealing with cruise lines (and issues) every day.  In my experience most difficult problems (like described in this thread) only get resolved when you can get to the proper person.  I do understand that some HAL fans hold PCCs in high esteem.  But keep in mind they work for the cruise line (not for you) and they are simply trained reservations/customer service agents.  

In the situation described by the OP, if I had to solve such a problem myself I would be turning on all kinds of charm while getting the issue elevated to a level above a PCC.

Hank

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

It is relevant to the extent that when you use a decent agent/agency you have an advocate who has a strong motivation (wanting to keep the business) to solve problems.  Also keep in mind that unlike most cruisers who only interact with a cruise line a few times a year, a high volume agent is dealing with cruise lines (and issues) every day.  In my experience most difficult problems (like described in this thread) only get resolved when you can get to the proper person.  I do understand that some HAL fans hold PCCs in high esteem.  But keep in mind they work for the cruise line (not for you) and they are simply trained reservations/customer service agents.  

In the situation described by the OP, if I had to solve such a problem myself I would be turning on all kinds of charm while getting the issue elevated to a level above a PCC.

Hank

I could possibly see that about the situation with the Op.  I have not had that luck with ta’s.  I have a harder time believing that they would be any help with a guest services issue.  Great if you do have that luck.

I believe that a high producer TA in an agency that does very high annual dollar sales with a cruise line has far, far more influence with that cruise line than does a PCC or CSR that is employed by the cruise line.

The leverag is obvious.  One piece of business vs a huge flow of multiple bookings from many people each month.

The PCC may appeal to his or her manager.   A high production agency will have much higher and much more influential contacts within the cruise line organization because of their volume and the importance of their agency business to the cruise line.

Edited by iancal
  • Like 1

My TA once went into battle for me mid-cruise.  I emailed her about a problem I was having that guest services could not/would not resolve.... shortly thereafter plate of chocate-covered strawberries was delivered with a note of apology and a nice credit to my account and the issue was resolved.  

• Like 1

Ia lso have a new PCC.

I have no t  used a  TA fo many years but this new POC may push me back to a local  TV   ( if there are any 'good onesleft.  I think most are 'fini' in my a)rea

I asked me new PCC for info as to whcih ships are doing what itineraries in  Alaska.

NADA  ...     No   info i has beeen forwardedd  and I  am not  hugely  hopeful to ever see   any.  I sill NOT chase all  over  the net to find info  If I wished to do that, ' I'd   have little need for  a PCC

HALneeds to lelarn  ow wery  badly some of hteir PCC s are treating their 'valued customers" and how many bookings they are  losing beause of vey poor  PCC's  IMO.

• Like 3

Dispute resolution often comes down to the golden rule

’He who has the gold makes the rule’

i have no doubt that I have a better chance at resolution when dealing with a high production agency than I have with a cruise line employee.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Hank

I certainly could have appealed to a TA  but of course the cruise had been cancelled some time ago.

Clearly with the CABANA cancellation documentation (and the fact the cruise itself was cancelled)  I had incorrectly assumed sending an e-mail would clarify things easily. With no return communication I think I was justified to feel things were handled, By the time I saw the next letter (many months later) it seemed more complicated to try and bring a third part into things.

Of course I think voting with one's feet is always the best way to let your voice be heard.  In this case if the matter was not dropped we would have let them pursue things with a collection agency (doubtful that they would do this) and maybe taken HAL off of our list. I would certainly at that point written a letter to their management as well as copying the TA. 

I would hate to exclude  HAL from our favored lines (MSC YC, HAL, X).

We did have a poor experience with a Princess Panama Canal Cruise a few years back (documented on CC Boards). The Princess response just made things worse so while we (particularly my wife) were big Princess fans we decided no more. I know it is all the same CCL pocket but makes sense to us not to reward bad behavior.

11 hours ago, iancal said:

Dispute resolution often comes down to the golden rule

’He who has the gold makes the rule’

i have no doubt that I have a better chance at resolution when dealing with a high production agency than I have with a cruise line employee.

Not always so.  As in many things in business and life, its who you know.  Sometimes knowing how to get to the right person or department and how to approach them makes all the difference.  My HAL PCC has at times been able to get things done for me that I never thought HAL would do.  Would another TA been able to - who knows, but I have been happy so far with the results.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just a general comment on HAL PCC...

Ours called at 9:30 a.m. when Alaska went on sale because I had expressed an interest.  That was amazing considering how busy they were that morning.  There was a booking frenzy going on, but she took the time to call.  That was very impressive service.

• Like 4