Commode questions (sorry)

MogeyMan

Although we do not need an accessible cabin, we find the commodes in the cabins to be very very low. I guess we're used to ours at home, an elevated commode (toilet). Has anyone else felt the same? Is there any solution to help raise the seat? We're getting older and it's just so hard to get up and down. 

44 minutes ago, MogeyMan said:

Although we do not need an accessible cabin, we find the commodes in the cabins to be very very low. I guess we're used to ours at home, an elevated commode (toilet). Has anyone else felt the same? Is there any solution to help raise the seat? We're getting older and it's just so hard to get up and down. 

Yes, the toilet is low.  Other than buying prior to boarding the ship (or the day before if you fly in), I'm not sure what you could use to elevate the seat.

When we travel, I take a "shower hand grip" that has a large suction cup at each end. It easily attaches to a wall to help when using a tub or low commode. I will try to find an image of one online or take a photo of mine and post.

• Thanks 1

Hello, I think its a great question! Thank you.  I have seen raised seats in a few cabins.  I agree call HAL's special needs and ask for one.  I'm sailing with a friend in December and she need a side rail.  Special needs is the way to go.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Cruise Suzy said:

Here's a link to one very similar to my 7 year old one. Had to search for "suction shower hand grip" to find it.

Glacier Bay 12 in. Suction Cup Grab Bar-FGB200GB THD - The Home Depot

These work great.  I've bought many as I've accidentally left many on various HAL cruises!  They sell them at Lowes for about $15.  Two for $20 (plus shipping) on Home Shopping Channel!

2 hours ago, aliaschief said:

The suction grips are nice supports but are advertised not to support full weight bearing. Or at least the one’s we have in our shower.

That is my concern. I would think your full weight would be on it. 

The placement of the commode on the Nieuw Statendam was poorly considered in my opinion.  I recall reading complaints about that when Koningsdam entered service.  Maybe Rotterdam VII's stateroom designers "got the message"?  

4 hours ago, aliaschief said:

The suction grips are nice supports but are advertised not to support full weight bearing. Or at least the one’s we have in our shower.

I had one of those and found they slipped off the wall pretty easily.   I wouldn't use them to help stand up from a low seat.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, dfish said:

I had one of those and found they slipped off the wall pretty easily.   I wouldn't use them to help stand up from a low seat.

That sounds like good advice. Think I will get one for our shower though as it will steady me.