Tell me about Oceania

Laszlo

My wife and I have been on 11 NCL cruises from regular balconies to the Haven. For our 30th wedding anniversary we are thinking about booking the Oceania Riviera for a 10 or 12 day cruise Jan - February 2022. We would probably book a concierge level veranda for the sole reason it gives us access to the spa deck. Dressing for dinner on a cruise to me means wearing khakis and a button up. Is this acceptable or is it more along the lines of a jacket and tie?

Thanks

Laszlo

Check a few of the headings below, First timer on O and  Checking in with TA

LOTS of great info about Oceania and Riviera or Marina are great selections, Concierge Level as well with the perks. The longer the trip the better and you will enjoy the Premium dining. 
A great selection for your 30th Anniversary.

Gerry

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Laszlo said:

My wife and I have been on 11 NCL cruises from regular balconies to the Haven. For our 30th wedding anniversary we are thinking about booking the Oceania Riviera for a 10 or 12 day cruise Jan - February 2022. We would probably book a concierge level veranda for the sole reason it gives us access to the spa deck. Dressing for dinner on a cruise to me means wearing khakis and a button up. Is this acceptable or is it more along the lines of a jacket and tie?

Thanks

O has excellent food, recognized by leading food magazines (e.g., Bon Appetit, Saveur, etc) as  “the finest cuisine at sea.”

Add small ships with great crew and space ratios plus exemplary service and what more do you need.

No suits (I haven’t worn a jacket and tie on Oceania in years), no gowns, no prom nights (nor nickel/diming, nor photographers, nor unrestricted smoking, blah , blah, blah).

It’s everything that the Haven and other wannabes try to be but - O is the real thing.

And the passenger demographic? Decorous, well-traveled, accomplished folks who have worked hard for their money and know value.

• Like 9

Concierge level is the way to go.  In addition to the Spa Deck (very uncrowded), the best perk is the Concierge lounge located on each floor.  Maybe try and get a cabin close to that lounge. It has large TV, newspapers, and lots of food and drink items all day long, also a nice place to hang out when your room is being cleaned.  Also there's a person there for various times to help with any travel problems.  Be sure and sign up for the premium restaurants when that comes available online--I think 90 days for Concierge level.  We have traveled in the Haven and it's very nice, but I think you get "more bang for your buck" by booking the Concierge level.  Also, no problem in bringing several bottles of wine on board for drinking in your cabin.  I also bring miniature bottles of various liquors on board because there are free mixers and soft drinks  in your cabin refrig.  Just don't do these drinks in public areas or restaurants. A great policy.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, zteamtwo said:

Concierge level is the way to go.  In addition to the Spa Deck (very uncrowded), the best perk is the Concierge lounge located on each floor. 

The Concierge lounge is only on deck 9

16 minutes ago, zteamtwo said:

Concierge level is the way to go.  In addition to the Spa Deck (very uncrowded), the best perk is the Concierge lounge located on each floor.  Maybe try and get a cabin close to that lounge. It has large TV, newspapers, and lots of food and drink items all day long, also a nice place to hang out when your room is being cleaned.  Also there's a person there for various times to help with any travel problems.  Be sure and sign up for the premium restaurants when that comes available online--I think 90 days for Concierge level.  We have traveled in the Haven and it's very nice, but I think you get "more bang for your buck" by booking the Concierge level.  Also, no problem in bringing several bottles of wine on board for drinking in your cabin.  I also bring miniature bottles of various liquors on board because there are free mixers and soft drinks  in your cabin refrig.  Just don't do these drinks in public areas or restaurants. A great policy.

Despite published limits on the number of personal wine bottles, Oceania never stops anyone from bringing whatever they’ve got. We often bring a case and replenish along the way.

As aforementioned, no personal booze in any public area or venue except you can bring wine to dinner at $25/bottle corkage fee.

As for concierge class, you’ll find (as many if not more) folks (including us) who think it’s a waste of money.

I also would suggest using the Riviera or Marina ships.  A little larger and more things to do and places to eat.  The free premium restaurants are equal to or exceed the Haven restaurant and there are 4 of them on the two larger ships.  The daily afternoon tea is outstanding!  I would suggest slacks and shirt in premium restaurants--you seldom see shorts in those restaurants.  

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, zteamtwo said:

Concierge level is the way to go.  In addition to the Spa Deck (very uncrowded), the best perk is the Concierge lounge located on each floor.  Maybe try and get a cabin close to that lounge. It has large TV, newspapers, and lots of food and drink items all day long, also a nice place to hang out when your room is being cleaned.  Also there's a person there for various times to help with any travel problems.  Be sure and sign up for the premium restaurants when that comes available online--I think 90 days for Concierge level.  We have traveled in the Haven and it's very nice, but I think you get "more bang for your buck" by booking the Concierge level.  

My experience with the Concierge Lounge has been that there was very little food. I've been in there late afternoon-early evening expecting some appetizers but there was none. I think they bring a few out but when they're gone, they don't restock. There were a few pastries for breakfast. There is a small refrigerator with soft drinks and there is a coffee machine. It's quiet with newspapers and a TV but that's about it. 

Being able to book the specialty restaurants earlier is one of the best advantages of concierge level.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, sunlover12 said:

Being able to book the specialty restaurants earlier is one of the best advantages of concierge level.

Never have a problem getting early  seating with a 2 top  when we are in B cabins

I find the lounge  a waste   I would rather go to Barristas for decent coffee /snacks

25 minutes ago, zteamtwo said:

I also would suggest using the Riviera or Marina ships.  A little larger and more things to do and places to eat.  The free premium restaurants are equal to or exceed the Haven restaurant and there are 4 of them on the two larger ships.  The daily afternoon tea is outstanding!  I would suggest slacks and shirt in premium restaurants--you seldom see shorts in those restaurants.  

You will never see shorts in the specialties.

• Like 1

Some perks of Concierge level--yes, maybe a couple of hundred dollars more per person-- do you want to die with that money in the bank??!!

• In addition to Stateroom amenities:
  • Room service from The Grand Dining Room menu during lunch and dinner
  • FREE laundry service – up to 3 bags per stateroom (restrictions apply)
  • Priority noon ship embarkation
  • Exclusive card-only access to private Concierge Lounge staffed by dedicated Concierge featuring complimentary soft drinks, coffees and snacks throughout the day
  • Complimentary welcome bottle of Champagne
  • Priority online specialty restaurant reservations
  • Unlimited access to Aquamar Spa Terrace
  • iPad® upon request for your enjoyment on board (limited availability)
  • Complimentary Oceania Cruises logo tote bag
  • Cashmere lap blankets, perfect for relaxing on your veranda
  • Complimentary pressing of garments upon embarkation (certain limitations apply)
  • Complimentary shoe shine service
  • All Suites and Staterooms are Smoke-Free
  • Like 2

44 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

As for concierge class, you’ll find (as many if not more) folks (including us) who think it’s a waste of money.

+1

If you want to “upgrade” go for a PH. One of the great perks other than a much nicer/bigger cabin & BR is the ability to dine ensuite from any specialty restaurant

Just sharing, we have been fortunate enough while being booked in a Concierge Level Veranda to be “offered” a discounted PH upgrade as we were approaching our sailing date and that is definitely worth it.  And YES, a great TA can do wonders for you sometimes, it all depends on availability.  With all the pent up O cruise demand from 2021 and 2022, I can’t imagine there will be many of these opportunities but that TA who is really good and connected can get lucky for you.  
Just a thought. 🤞🤪🛳

5 hours ago, zteamtwo said:

Some perks of Concierge level--yes, maybe a couple of hundred dollars more per person-- do you want to die with that money in the bank??!!

• In addition to Stateroom amenities:
  • Room service from The Grand Dining Room menu during lunch and dinner
  • FREE laundry service – up to 3 bags per stateroom (restrictions apply)
  • Priority noon ship embarkation
  • Exclusive card-only access to private Concierge Lounge staffed by dedicated Concierge featuring complimentary soft drinks, coffees and snacks throughout the day
  • Complimentary welcome bottle of Champagne
  • Priority online specialty restaurant reservations
  • Unlimited access to Aquamar Spa Terrace
  • iPad® upon request for your enjoyment on board (limited availability)
  • Complimentary Oceania Cruises logo tote bag
  • Cashmere lap blankets, perfect for relaxing on your veranda
  • Complimentary pressing of garments upon embarkation (certain limitations apply)
  • Complimentary shoe shine service
  • All Suites and Staterooms are Smoke-Free

A couple of points, the tote bag is yours to take home, the Cashmere blanket is not, it's for use in your room or while on board. Although not on that list the Concierge level is where hot breakfast room service items are available. They're not available on lower levels. I believe that's correct. For some people they might find value in that. Bear in mind that the lounges are inside, so there is no view at all, there are some comfy couches and chairs in them. Also newspapers, but what I mentioned below about snacks might apply to them also. 

As far as the snacks go since they are self serve I would take a wait and see view as to whether or not they will be in the Lounges, Concierge & Executive, once sailing initially starts back. My guess would be no, but many things are yet to be seen. 

Another important thing about Concierge is that with the exception of a couple of cabins on the R ships the rooms & balconies are the same exact size as the regular verandas. The biggest point to this is that your dining space in those cabins is extremely limited. 

Bottom line I've always been happy in any room from an inside to Oceania Suite. If money isn't an object, which for me it is, I would chose the Oceania Suite. I definitely agree with Paul that the PH is the best alternative, you get everything the Concierge has to offer, plus a larger room and more perks. It's even better if you get a good upsell as was mentioned up thread. Of course it's all capacity dependent but upsells from a regular veranda to PH are not unheard of. 

• Like 2

Thanks for all the info. I don't understand the price complaining about a veranda vs Concierge veranda? The price different between the cabins is literally $100 on the cruise I'm looking at. Its a no brainer to spend another $100 and get the concierge perks 

Maybe I'm missing something 

Edited by Laszlo

6 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Despite published limits on the number of personal wine bottles, Oceania never stops anyone from bringing whatever they’ve got. We often bring a case and replenish along the way.

As aforementioned, no personal booze in any public area or venue except you can bring wine to dinner at $25/bottle corkage fee.

We have our first Oceania cruise coming up next year on the Regatta to test the waters and see if it lives up to its glowing reputation from posters here.  As is our habit on other cruise lines, we like to have the cruise line order in several cases of our favorite wine (at our expense, of course), store and serve  us wherever we are dining.  We have had no problem elsewhere, but wonder if anyone has done this on Oceania?  Thanks for any information you can give us,

P.S.  Believe you know Hawaiidan.  We haven't read any posts of his for months and wonder what is up??  Hope all is well.

• Like 1

Laszlo, you did not miss anything and it is well worth the $100 or $200 charge for Concierge level, in my humble opinion. Again, pay attention to the Memorial Day Sale offers because if your itinerary is one of those included in the Sale, you should grab it to get a PH for the price of a Concierge Veranda. 

I absolutely agree with the ORV, if ever an opportunity presents itself for an Oceania Suite, they are up on 12 by the Culinary Center and the Artists Loft. That 1000 sq. ft. suite is SWEET! 

Ciao

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Laszlo said:

Thanks for all the info. I don't understand the price complaining about a veranda vs Concierge veranda? The price different between the cabins is literally $100 on the cruise I'm looking at. Its a no brainer to spend another $100 and get the concierge perks 

Not missing anything

If you book a B1 & upgrade to an A4   the prices is good at $100 PP

If you book a B3 & upgrade to an A1  the the price  is a lot more 

it just depends on what is worth it to you

The cabin sizes are the same  it is the extras that have value for some  😉

Enjoy

• Like 1

Also, if you have a B1 you are in a mid-ship location for a smooth ride and convenient access.  If you upgrade to an A4 you are at the very front or back of the ship.  To match your B1 location you would need at least an A3 and preferably an A2.

6 hours ago, Laszlo said:

As you can see from the post below it's the little details. To some the location trumps many other things, to some it's no issue. I've been at the front, back and middle. It's all fine with me, but I don't get seasick. 

3 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Also, if you have a B1 you are in a mid-ship location for a smooth ride and convenient access.  If you upgrade to an A4 you are at the very front or back of the ship.  To match your B1 location you would need at least an A3 and preferably an A2.

Edited by Host Jazzbeau
corrected spelling in quoted section
  • Like 2