New air policy

arkansastraveler

Or more reasonably called the airlines are no longer allowing free cancellation of basic economy and more importantly bulk rate tickets. Book’m , you pay for them. Non refundable. The price of poker just went up. 

Edited by pinotlover
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, pinotlover said:

Or more reasonably called the airlines are no longer allowing free cancellation of basic economy and more importantly bulk rate tickets. Book’m , you pay for them. Non refundable. The price of poker just went up. 

Oceania actually offers basic economy fares?

If it is true that Oceania will not assign air until 75 days out, then they will be at a competitive disadvantage.  Other cruise lines have not changed their policy.

Edited by jagoffee

12 hours ago, arkansastraveler said:

Has anyone heard of the new air policy . Oceania will not assign air beyond 75 days out. Regardless of air deviation. Because schedules change and are revised so often.

Where did you get this information from?

12 hours ago, arkansastraveler said:

Has anyone heard of the new air policy . Oceania will not assign air beyond 75 days out. Regardless of air deviation. Because schedules change and are revised so often.

Do you mean you cannot choose the flights you want  or they will not ticket you?

I am requesting my flight info for cruise this October. Oceania reply to travel agent:New policies with air.  Because schedules change and are revised so often, Oceania does not assign air until 75 days prior to the sail date.  Not getting any more info from Oceania, I guess there is no  air deviation allowed

the way I am used to using.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, arkansastraveler said:

I am requesting my flight info for cruise this October. Oceania reply to travel agent:New policies with air.  Because schedules change and are revised so often, Oceania does not assign air until 75 days prior to the sail date.  Not getting any more info from Oceania, I guess there is no  air deviation allowed

the way I am used to using.

I guess that makes sense   with things changing  with Countries opening /closing  & flights have to be rescheduled

You probably will still be able to do the deviation just not  as far out as  in the past

JMO

I touched upon this in another thread. Airlines schedules are being turned upside down. United has completely changed the flight itinerary for my November cruise 3 times in the last month, and that trip is six (6) months out. For my trips 45-60 days out, not only were they changed several months ago, they are still being reshuffled. If anyone paid a premium for a select routing, to end up with what we now have, they would be @*€🤬 to say the least.

With this in mind, one has to realize that NCLH continues to bleed cash profusely and Oceania/NCLH Air is working with minimal staffing. That minimal staff doesn’t have time to be chasing their tails trying to reshuffle all the changes, plus do new bookings. This is especially the case for flights on cruises that Oceania already knows won’t sail.

Add to this, the airlines are changing the rules again, back to pre pandemic standards, wherein if a flight is booked it has to be paid for. More cash NCLH doesn’t have, and moving final payment to 60 days for scheduled upcoming cruises hasn’t helped cash flow.

With the opening of the economy along with international travel, the airlines industry has done us a favor. They have forced those cruise lines offering air packages to make a go or no go decision at least 75-90 days pre cruise. No more waiting until 45-60. 

Our mid November cruise now has a mid September payment date. Trust me, NCLH can’t afford to fork over $$$K of dollars to the airlines at 75-90 days out to then cancel the cruise at 60 days. We’ll now know by August if the cruise is going. 

I'm not sure when this new policy went into effect but it must have been very recent. I am booked on the Marina on November 2 out of Rome and last week I was able to book my flights. My cruise was booked directly with Oceania so maybe that made a difference. But I sent my request for flight deviations and also a specific airline to them on Sunday and had the flight schedule back by Tuesday.

3 minutes ago, lorimay said:

I'm not sure when this new policy went into effect but it must have been very recent. I am booked on the Marina on November 2 out of Rome and last week I was able to book my flights. My cruise was booked directly with Oceania so maybe that made a difference. But I sent my request for flight deviations and also a specific airline to them on Sunday and had the flight schedule back by Tuesday.

1. Perhaps being on the Marina, which has an announced restart matters.

2. Do you have an actual airline booking number so you can get seat assignments?

3. perhaps it is new to this week.

5 hours ago, LHT28 said:

I guess that makes sense   with things changing  with Countries opening /closing  & flights have to be rescheduled

You probably will still be able to do the deviation just not  as far out as  in the past

JMO

There is uncertainty involved in planning international cruises for 2022 and beyond with the air travel portion.  We had booked flights for a 9/2/2021 cruise out of Athens as early as permitted by AA, using our own booking using flight miles.  One leg of the return flight was cancelled in December and we were able to book a replacement.  A few months later, another flight cancellation with no alternative flight, other than with an overnight stay at Heathrow.  After all that, the cruise was cancelled and all the fees and flight miles were returned.  Still waiting for the Oceania refund.  Until the air travel returns to stable conditions it is foolish to book flights nine months out, and I can see why O’s air policy changed, but it is likely temporarily.  Covid has caused disruption and tragedy far too long.

Just today I paid my deposit on the 17 November Rome to Miami TA on Riviera. My TA worked a custom air request to upgrade my flight over to BusClass. I have a record locator number and specific flights.

I accepted the flights too late this afternoon for my TA to be able to select my seat assignments. In conclusion, I don’t think the OP’s information is correct, as I was able to book my flights today.

11 minutes ago, PhD-iva said:

Just today I paid my deposit on the 17 November Rome to Miami TA on Riviera. My TA worked a custom air request to upgrade my flight over to BusClass. I have a record locator number and specific flights.

I accepted the flights too late this afternoon for my TA to be able to select my seat assignments. In conclusion, I don’t think the OP’s information is correct, as I was able to book my flights today.

Thanks for the update

Maybe a miscommunication with  the TA & Oceania ??

15 minutes ago, PhD-iva said:

Have you been able to figure out the price differential between O-Air, plus the business class upgrade, plus custom air surcharge versus booking the air separately? I'm curious to see if O was close or still as expensive as ever.

If you get on your air carriers web site, put in your name, record locator, flight, etc., you should be able to select your seats. To check out what seats are better/worse than others, log on to SeatGuru dot com.

1 hour ago, cayman09 said:

Have you been able to figure out the price differential between O-Air, plus the business class upgrade, plus custom air surcharge versus booking the air separately? I'm curious to see if O was close or still as expensive as ever.

OAir (plus air credit) was about $400 cheaper than booking business class fare directly. Round numbers. 

35 minutes ago, Dwtlion said:

If you get on your air carriers web site, put in your name, record locator, flight, etc., you should be able to select your seats. To check out what seats are better/worse than others, log on to SeatGuru dot com.

Thx!

36 minutes ago, Dwtlion said:

I forgot the deviation fee, so only about $200 cheaper.