Alaska on Quantum or Scandinavia/Russia on Voyager for 30th Anniversary in June 2022?

The wife has put up with me for almost 29 years and I thought it'd be nice to book a 30th anniversary cruise for next June, 2022.  We're looking at two options:

7-night Alaska cruise out of Seattle on Quantum

7-night Scandinavia/Russia cruise out of Stockholm, Sweden on Voyager

On either we'd go with a Junior Suite.

This would be our fourth cruise with RCI, but the first three have all been in the Caribbean.

So, if anyone has done one or the other (or both even better) I'd sure like your input, with any pics to boot!

Oh, and one other question: is it worth the significant extra cost to upgrade to a Grand Suite from a Junior Suite?

Thanks

Edited by LEMJMcC

46 minutes ago, LEMJMcC said:

Oh, and one other question: is it worth the significant extra cost to upgrade to a Grand Suite from a Junior Suite?

Probably not on those itineraries,  save your money for excursions. 

Just a few things...someone else can add other items.

Not sure where you're from, but cost of airfare may also play a role.

JMHO, the Quantum is a nicer, newer ship than the Voyager.  It has one of our favorite features...the IFly.  The Quantum has a few more bells and whistle than the Voyager.

We love Alaska and have sailed there many times...wildlife, scenery, and nature.  With the Baltic cruise, it will be visiting different countries and experiencing different cultures.  Perhaps you can do one or the other for your 31st.

We love the Junior Suite on the Voyager...it has a large walk-in closet. The Junior Suite on the Quantum is nicer than the balcony cabin and gives you access to dinner at Coastal Kitchen.  And if you move up to a Grand Suite on the Quantum, you can eat breakfast, lunch, and dinner at Coastal Kitchen and have access to the Concierge/Suite Lounge located aft of the ship on Deck 12...breathtaking views.

Happy 30th Anniversary!  Hope that helps a little bit...hope we start sailing again.

Can you move it up to May 2, 2022 and does it have to be on Royal, Princess goes to Glacier Bay......... Vancouver to Vancouver RT

Sapphire Princess

Awesome itinerary for Alaska:

Monday, May 2 Vancouver, BC, Canada   4:30pm
Tuesday, May 3 At Sea    
Wednesday, May 4 Juneau, AK 1:30pm 10:00pm
Thursday, May 5 Skagway, AK 6:00am 8:30pm
Friday, May 6 Icy Strait Point, AK 7:00am 6:00pm
Saturday, May 7 Sitka, AK 7:00am 5:00pm
Sunday, May 8 Hubbard Glacier, AK (Cruising)    
Monday, May 9 Glacier Bay National Park & Preserve, AK (Cruising)    
Tuesday, May 10 Ketchikan, AK 10:00am 7:00pm
Wednesday, May 11 Prince Rupert, BC, Canada 7:00am 6:00pm
Thursday, May 12 At Sea    
Friday, May 13 Victoria, BC, Canada 9:00am 11:00pm
Saturday, May 14 Vancouver, BC, Canada 7:30am
Edited by Jimbo

2 hours ago, Jimbo said:

Can you move it up to May 2, 2022 and does it have to be on Royal, Princess goes to Glacier Bay......... Vancouver to Vancouver RT

Sapphire Princess

Awesome itinerary for Alaska:

Monday, May 2 Vancouver, BC, Canada   4:30pm
Tuesday, May 3 At Sea    
Wednesday, May 4 Juneau, AK 1:30pm 10:00pm
Thursday, May 5 Skagway, AK 6:00am 8:30pm
Friday, May 6 Icy Strait Point, AK 7:00am 6:00pm
Saturday, May 7 Sitka, AK 7:00am 5:00pm
Sunday, May 8 Hubbard Glacier, AK (Cruising)    
Monday, May 9 Glacier Bay National Park & Preserve, AK (Cruising)    
Tuesday, May 10 Ketchikan, AK 10:00am 7:00pm
Wednesday, May 11 Prince Rupert, BC, Canada 7:00am 6:00pm
Thursday, May 12 At Sea    
Friday, May 13 Victoria, BC, Canada 9:00am 11:00pm
Saturday, May 14 Vancouver, BC, Canada 7:30am

Looks great, but I am limited on vacation days...

2 hours ago, bonsai3s said:

Just a few things...someone else can add other items.

Not sure where you're from, but cost of airfare may also play a role.

JMHO, the Quantum is a nicer, newer ship than the Voyager.  It has one of our favorite features...the IFly.  The Quantum has a few more bells and whistle than the Voyager.

We love Alaska and have sailed there many times...wildlife, scenery, and nature.  With the Baltic cruise, it will be visiting different countries and experiencing different cultures.  Perhaps you can do one or the other for your 31st.

We love the Junior Suite on the Voyager...it has a large walk-in closet. The Junior Suite on the Quantum is nicer than the balcony cabin and gives you access to dinner at Coastal Kitchen.  And if you move up to a Grand Suite on the Quantum, you can eat breakfast, lunch, and dinner at Coastal Kitchen and have access to the Concierge/Suite Lounge located aft of the ship on Deck 12...breathtaking views.

Happy 30th Anniversary!  Hope that helps a little bit...hope we start sailing again.

Airfare is about half going to Seattle than Europe for us...we're in NE TN.  Also, I can get away with taking only five days of vacation for the Alaska cruise versus seven for the other.  But, it would be neat to experience some of the culture associated with those countries...

It's tough decision...if only I were retired and independently wealthy! 

We have had the pleasure of doing both Alaska and the Russia run several times.  Both are wonderful but different.  It truly depends on what you are looking for:

1. If you love wildlife, chose Alaska.  If cultures are more your 'thing', chose the Russia sailing.

2. If you want a more relaxing vacation, chose Alaska.  You will spend more time in the wilderness and out in nature.  If you like museums, learning about other countries, and a more tour intensive sailing, chose Russia.  (Not that Alaska will not be tour intensive but it tends to be a different type of intensity.)

3.  Consider which one you would really be sorry you missed.  That's the one that should get more weight.

Junior suites will be great on either.  However, if you are going to Alaska, consider which side of the ship your cabin is on.  If you are heading north (i.e. Seattle to Seward) book the Starboard; if southbound, select port side.

Book Crown Princess, cruise to Alaska for the ports and Glaciers, not the ship.

Quantum Glacier viewing (Endicott Arm ) is nothing like going through Glacier Bay.

Saturday, June 11 Seattle, WA   4:00pm
Sunday, June 12 At Sea    
Monday, June 13 Juneau, AK Noon 10:00pm
Tuesday, June 14 Skagway, AK 7:00am 8:30pm
Wednesday, June 15 Glacier Bay National Park & Preserve, AK (Cruising) 6:00am 3:00pm
Thursday, June 16 Ketchikan, AK 7:00am 1:00pm
Friday, June 17 Victoria, BC, Canada 7:00pm 11:59pm
Saturday, June 18 Seattle, WA

Here's my very crazy philosophy.  I book the things that I think will change rapidly (sometimes it works out that way).  So if I'm faced with 2 great choices, I will try for the one that speaks to me more.  If they both do, I'll pick the one that I think I may not get to.

For instance: I went to Paris in 2017.  I stayed on Ile St Louis, and was at Notre Dame every single day.  I'm glad I went when I did.  Same thing with Cuba (was on one of the first cruises there, was glad I didn't wait).  I've booked wildlife trips in case they don't allow tourists back, etc.  And quite honestly, I looked brilliant when Covid hit and I wasn't upset I wasn't going to be able to go to Australia (because I've already been).   I swear I don't mean to brag, just circumstances, and health, change so rapidly, that I try and plan my vacations with no regrets.

For me, I'd do the Baltics, because the culture could change, or there could be some reason Americans can't go.  However, my parents would be more upset missing out on Alaska than Russia.  So it's very individual.  

15 hours ago, keyboardjunkie said:

We have had the pleasure of doing both Alaska and the Russia run several times.  Both are wonderful but different.  It truly depends on what you are looking for:

1. If you love wildlife, chose Alaska.  If cultures are more your 'thing', chose the Russia sailing.

2. If you want a more relaxing vacation, chose Alaska.  You will spend more time in the wilderness and out in nature.  If you like museums, learning about other countries, and a more tour intensive sailing, chose Russia.  (Not that Alaska will not be tour intensive but it tends to be a different type of intensity.)

3.  Consider which one you would really be sorry you missed.  That's the one that should get more weight.

Junior suites will be great on either.  However, if you are going to Alaska, consider which side of the ship your cabin is on.  If you are heading north (i.e. Seattle to Seward) book the Starboard; if southbound, select port side.

Thanks for the great advice, especially about the cabin location!

If you are limited on vacation time, then I would pick the Alaska sailing.  Going on a baltic cruise would be best to fly in at least 1 day earlier than your. Cruise.  You dont want to fly in day of the cruise as there is always the chance of a flight change due to weather etc, plus jet lag.

Plus you want extra time to explore whatever country you fly to if you havent been there before.

5 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

If you are limited on vacation time, then I would pick the Alaska sailing.  Going on a baltic cruise would be best to fly in at least 1 day earlier than your. Cruise.  You dont want to fly in day of the cruise as there is always the chance of a flight change due to weather etc, plus jet lag.

Plus you want extra time to explore whatever country you fly to if you havent been there before.

Right!  I had added two days of vacation to the Baltic option just so we could do just that.  Personally, I LOVE days at sea - give me a nice cool drink, a good book, and a comfortable lounge chair on my own balcony and I am content...of course until I get hungry.  The wife, on the other hand, loves the ports of call...still, we've done very well on past cruises to include a fair amount of each!

Edited by LEMJMcC

We vote Baltic.  We have been to Alaska 4 times (one B2B) and it was great, but it is a scenic cruise.  Excursions are generally expensive.  But Baltic is both scenic and lots of chances to see other countries.  Pain to fly there from middle of the US, and you will want a couple of days on the front end (our flight got in 4 hours late).  But there is so much to see everywhere.  Tours in St Petersburg are expensive but many other ports can be explored without a tour.  We may never get back there but it was one of the best cruises we have ever taken.  Seven days is too short for Baltic (ours was 14) but if you can't take the time off for longer it might be your only chance to see that part of the world.

We've cruised Alaska several times, amazing scenery and great cruises, but our Baltic cruise was the most memorable and certainly the most romantic. The romantic part is the most important.  It's perfect for an anniversary cruise.

I highly recommend Alla tours for St. Petersburg.

You will definitely be making memories.

😊

• 4 weeks later...

We booked the Alaska cruise leaving July 4, 2022 out of Seattle.  Turns out we may have some friends and family joining us, which would be a blast!

We'll keep the Baltic cruise in mind for another time...perhaps 2023??

Thanks all for your input.  We're looking forward to it!