Alaska back on

Eli_6

4 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

Ships also pollute the air. Light pollution. Sonic pollution. Sun glass pollution. Beaches may be cleaner, sea life may never be the same.

What is sun glass pollution?

1 hour ago, BlerkOne said:

Ships also pollute the air. Light pollution. Sonic pollution. Sun glass pollution. Beaches may be cleaner, sea life may never be the same.

Your car is guilty of the first three, but I have no idea what sun glass pollution is. Please explain. 

25 minutes ago, joeyancho said:

It's when your sun glasses fall overboard.  You have seen Charlie the Tuna. That is how he got his shades. 

We have a winner. It is related to $22 towel overboard pollution and anything people leave on balconies blown away pollution.

Cargo ships sometimes lose cargo pollution - something like 1382 containers are lost overboard every year, although international estimates are higher.

ONE-Apus.jpeg

4 hours ago, Eli_6 said:

I was planning on booking an Alaskan with kids and husband, but then didn't because of the part about the vax requirement. My husband and I are vaccinated, but my kids are only 7 and 8 so they can't be vaccinated yet. 

Let us hope there is soon an approved vaccination for younger and younger children

36 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

Let us hope there is soon an approved vaccination for younger and younger children

I wouldn't be surprised to see age 5-11 approved before school starts back up in Aug./Sept. Thought I've read of plans along those lines.

50 minutes ago, mondello said:

I wouldn't be surprised to see age 5-11 approved before school starts back up in Aug./Sept. Thought I've read of plans along those lines.

I would be shocked if they aren’t.  Things are getting back to normal, now everyone go get your shots!!!! 

1 hour ago, kona_wahine said:

I would be shocked if they aren’t.  Things are getting back to normal, now everyone go get your shots!!!! 

Too many unvaccinated to declare the pandemic over. 

3 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

My Tesla?

All technology comes at a price. I am glad that Carnival is moving to LNG ships and processing their food waste better. I am presuming the buffets that we all know are a thing of the past. If food is served to you or put on a plate by staff, chances are good there will be less waste. It was always disappointing to see how much food people heaped on their plates, only to have much of it end up in the trash. Less food waste would be a good outcome from this infamous virus. Alaska has had almost 2 seasons to heal from the environmental impact of cruise ships. Getting a few months of cruises this season would be a beneficial way to ease back into those environments. I am thrilled some cruise ships are booking for Alaska 2021, because I thought the inability to  port in Canada had sunk the season!
https://www.wired.com/2016/03/teslas-electric-cars-might-not-green-think/

18 minutes ago, Linsuesue said:

virus. Alaska has had almost 2 seasons to heal from the environmental impact of cruise ships.

Fish are more plentiful around Hawaii these days and the water in the canals of Venice is clearer. For how long?

18 minutes ago, Linsuesue said:

https://www.carbonbrief.org/factcheck-how-electric-vehicles-help-to-tackle-climate-change

2 hours ago, Linsuesue said:

All technology comes at a price. I am glad that Carnival is moving to LNG ships and processing their food waste better. I am presuming the buffets that we all know are a thing of the past. If food is served to you or put on a plate by staff, chances are good there will be less waste. It was always disappointing to see how much food people heaped on their plates, only to have much of it end up in the trash. Less food waste would be a good outcome from this infamous virus. Alaska has had almost 2 seasons to heal from the environmental impact of cruise ships. Getting a few months of cruises this season would be a beneficial way to ease back into those environments. I am thrilled some cruise ships are booking for Alaska 2021, because I thought the inability to  port in Canada had sunk the season!
https://www.wired.com/2016/03/teslas-electric-cars-might-not-green-think/

Suffering from First World guilt?

8 hours ago, mondello said:

Yes, there are clinical trials going on as we speak (write?) As the husband of an elementary teacher, I truly hope so.

2 hours ago, ontheweb said:

Why would you be against an approved vaccine for younger children? They are already being vaccinated for measles, mumps, etc.

The risk for younger children who get Covid is very very small.

The long term effects of the shots are completely unknown.

I'm glad my kids are in their 20s and I'm not being forced to make the choice for them...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Sinbadssailors said:

I'm glad my kids are in their 20s and I'm not being forced to make the choice for them...

True today. However, as long as there is a large enough group of unvaccinated people in the world, there remains the very real possibility that the Covid virus can mutate and release a variant that affects children with results of much worse symptoms than those that have occurred to date. Please remember that this is a worldwide pandemic and all 3 main variants have made their way to the U.S.

Edited by mondello
Correction

55 minutes ago, Sinbadssailors said:

We also do not know the long term risk of Covid for young children. And they do catch it. DW is an elementary art teacher, and at one point she had to serve a quarantine as a 5th grade student had Covid and DW had her for lunch duty (no mask while eating). And at another point the entire 3rd grade had to quarantine, and DW only escaped that as she had had both her shots.

@NOCL, who seems to have much knowledge in the field of vaccines has said that almost all negative effects show up within the first 6 months after vaccinations rather than long term.

1 hour ago, Sinbadssailors said:

It is scary, Nobody cares about a broken down old veteran, but more study needs to be looked at before giving this to kids...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm sure there will be boosters to cover new variants, if needed, and those who choose to protect themselves can do so.  As time goes by and more high risk people protect themselves, this will be just another contagious disease with treatments and vaccines.  No need to shame the people who choose not to vaccinate.  People should protect themselves and not expect other people to alter their behavior to fit a person's views.

• Like 7

10 minutes ago, TNcruising02 said:

I'm sure there will be boosters to cover new variants, if needed, and those who choose to protect themselves can do so.  As time goes by and more high risk people protect themselves, this will be just another contagious disease with treatments and vaccines.  No need to shame the people who choose not to vaccinate.  People should protect themselves and not expect other people to alter their behavior to fit a person's views.

Spot on! I'm not trying to shame the unvaccinated, that is preaching to the choir. I don't expect anyone to change their mind over this. I point out that we need to remember that the situation can continue to evolve and what we know today may not apply down the line.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sinbadssailors said:

The long term effects of covid are completely unknown. Or of any of the increasing variants.

When has any vaccine had long term effects that were not know within 2 months of being released?

50 minutes ago, TNcruising02 said:

Public health is everyone's responsibility. No need to be divisive or categorize.

59 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

The long term effects of covid are completely unknown. Or of any of the increasing variants.

When has any vaccine had long term effects that were not know within 2 months of being released?

Do some research on the H1N1 vaccine from 2009, and/or the Swine flu one from 1976.

And let parents make their own decisions.

We, as vaccinated adults have little to fear from children.

• Like 3