Bringing you own alcohol on board

SSCAF001

I have 2 quick questions please :

1/ I have read that we are authorized to bring 6 bottles on board. Does it apply whatever the length of the cruise is? I will be onboard the Nautica for 40 days which is two 20-day segments. In that case can I bring 12 bottles or at least 6 bottle at the start of the cruise and then 6 other bottles at the start of the second segment?

2/ once on board, does the corkage fee of 25$ apply when drinking our own alcool outside on the deck not in a restaurant or bar?

thanks. 

2 minutes ago, SSCAF001 said:

1/ I have read that we are authorized to bring 6 bottles on board. Does it apply whatever the length of the cruise is? I will be onboard the Nautica for 40 days which is two 20-day segments. In that case can I bring 12 bottles or at least 6 bottle at the start of the cruise and then 6 other bottles at the start of the second segment?

2/ once on board, does the corkage fee of 25$ apply when drinking our own alcool outside on the deck not in a restaurant or bar?

thanks. 

Despite the CYA published limit, we have never encountered any limit to BYOB on an Oceania ship (multiple cruises per year for more than decade). 
With the exception that personal bottle(s) of wine can be taken to meals for a $25 per bottle corkage fee (which includes 18% gratuity), all personal alcohol must be consumed in your cabin. For spirits, O will also provide regularly stocked mixers for your fridge at no added charge.

Depending on itinerary, we’ll research regional wines/stores and usually bring a case on board and then replenish the supply along the way.

Here’s a pic of what we pack (flattened - a few ounces of weight) in our luggage. We get them at NorCal wineries we frequent (sizes 2,3,4,6 bottles). Great for shopping wine in ports and for storage onboard. We toss them at the end of the cruise.

403DDA2C-9D10-4FEA-9BE6-953C45566251.jpeg

• Thanks 1

+1 on what Flatbush Flyer said.

I do want to emphasize one point. Corkage is only allowed in the dining venues. Other than that, all private beverages must be consumed in your cabin. You can’t take them to bars, decks, or other public areas.

18 minutes ago, SSCAF001 said:

Flyer is right.  Bring on whatever you like, replenish in every port if necessary.  In Europe this is an enjoyable task.  Arabic countries, Polynesia and the Orient may be more difficult for wines.  Spirits more universally available.  

thanks. 

You are free to enjoy your wines, spirits on your (or a friend's) balcony.  Just to be clear, personal alcohol is not permissible on the pool deck, spa deck, any bars or dining rooms.  Only full,, uncorked wines may be taken to the dining rooms and opened by the wine staff for the $25 corkage.  Still a bargain considering the markup on the ship's wine list.  IF you do not consume the entire bottle at one sitting (😱), the wine staff will cork, mark and store the bottle.  You may call for it in any restaurant at any time.  All very civilized and lovely.

I just now saw pinotlover's second response.  Sorry for being redundant.

59 minutes ago, SSCAF001 said:

thanks. 

We have never been questioned about the amount of bottles we have brought on to the ship   The corkage fee is if you bring your bottle to a restaurant. We often bought at many ports. No questions were ever asked. Don’t worry everyone brings for their cabin

26 minutes ago, SSCAF001 said:

Thanks for all your answers. We will be in an inside cabin so was wondering whether it is large enough to have drinks in the cabin 

maybe not  for guests  but for 2  probably OK

Wine  is one thing

Spirits are something else

do not take your bottle of rum to the dining venues & expect  to just pay the corkage fee 😉

Please do not take your glass from your cabin stash  with your own wine/spirits  to public areas 

Just saying

17 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

do not take your bottle of rum to the dining venues & expect  to just pay the corkage fee 😉

Why? Am I going to pay more? I thought that I would pay 25$ once and then they would keep my bottle and I can empty it over several days. 

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, SSCAF001 said:

Thanks for all your answers. We will be in an inside cabin so was wondering whether it is large enough to have drinks in the cabin 

We take longer cruises and so take 1 - 2 cases of wine to the port for embarkation, slap a label on them and give them to the porters with our luggage for delivery to the cabin....they usually beat the luggage to our cabin.  A case of wine set on its side, fits under the bed for easy storage so finding space is not a problem.  We also enjoy bringing wine/liquor on board from different ports.    The same for any kind of liquor - bring all you want on board for consumption in your room - room steward will be happy to supply any mixer and other items you need to make your favorite drink.

As others have stated - this is for consumption in your room or you can bring a bottle of wine to a dining room to enjoy with your dinner and will be charged a $25.00 corkage fee.  The glasses supplied for your cabin are different from the glasses used in the bars and dining rooms , so the staff know if you are bringing a glass of alcohol with you from your room!

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, BarbaraM said:

That’s right. 

So the $25.00 corkage fee applies to liquor besides wine?    Would love to have a bottle of port in storage to enjoy a glass after dinner or with dessert....

Edited by basor

1 minute ago, LHT28 said:

NO

That is what I thought but when OP asked about bringing a bottle of Rum, paying corkage fee and having kept in storage, he was told yes....but possible the responder did not see he was asking about liquor not wine...

Maybe we need to define liquor  vs alcohol vs wine 😄

liquor

noun

a distilled or spirituous beverage, as brandy or whiskey, as distinguished from a fermented beverage, as wine or beer.

alcohol 

noun

Also called ethyl alcohol, grain alcohol, ethanol, fermentation alcohol. a colorless, limpid, volatile, flammable, water-miscible liquid, C2H5OH, having an etherlike odor and pungent, burning taste, the intoxicating principle of fermented liquors, produced by yeast fermentation of certain carbohydrates, as grains, molasses, starch, or sugar, or obtained synthetically by hydration of ethylene or as a by-product of certain hydrocarbon syntheses: used chiefly as a solvent in the extraction of specific substances, in beverages, medicines, organic synthesis, lotions, tonics, colognes, rubbing compounds, as an automobile radiator antifreeze, and as a rocket fuel.Compare denatured alcohol, methyl alcohol.
whiskey, gin, vodka, or any other intoxicating liquor containing this liquid.

Wine

noun

the fermented juice of grapes, made in many varieties, such as red, white, sweet, dry, still, and sparkling, for use as a beverage, in cooking, in religious rites, etc., and usually having an alcoholic content of 14 percent or less.
a particular variety of such fermented grape juice: port and sherry wines.
the juice, fermented or unfermented, of various other fruits or plants, used as a beverage, sauce, etc.: gooseberry wine; currant wine.
a dark reddish color, as of red wines.
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, basor said:

That is what I thought but when OP asked about bringing a bottle of Rum, paying corkage fee and having kept in storage, he was told yes....but possible the responder did not see he was asking about liquor not wine...

I guess some people consider wine  as  liquor or alcohol 🤔

32 minutes ago, SSCAF001 said:

Why? Am I going to pay more? I thought that I would pay 25$ once and then they would keep my bottle and I can empty it over several days. 

Only wine, not liquor or spirits. They will keep your opened wine for future lunches or dinners.  The corkage fee is per bottle.

Edited by 1985rz1
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, basor said:

So the $25.00 corkage fee applies to liquor besides wine?    Would love to have a bottle of port in storage to enjoy a glass after dinner or with dessert....

No, wine only— I didn’t see the posts before I responded, IGNORE what I said about corkage.  my bad—must have misunderstood— but, wait, port is wine, right?

Edited by BarbaraM
Correction

20 minutes ago, BarbaraM said:

No, wine only— I didn’t see the posts before I responded, IGNORE what I said about corkage.  my bad—must have misunderstood— but, wait, port is wine, right?

Didn't think about port being considered wine....we will have to check that out when we all sail together in November and if the answer is yes, I see us enjoying a glass of port after dinners!   Ahhhh, sipping a glass of port while watching the sun set from our table outside of Terrace!

We want to do what we have done with lines such as Silversea and Regent and have Oceania order in several cases of our favorite wine (at whatever price they choose to bill us) to be delivered to the Sommelier on the ship.  They store it for us and have it ready when we request it for wherever we are dining for lunch and dinner.  Has anyone done this with Oceania?  They seem lost at the concept of such a thing.

22 minutes ago, BarbaraM said:

Well - not exactly. It is fortified wine- higher alcohol content.

13 minutes ago, Silver Sweethearts said:

We want to do what we have done with lines such as Silversea and Regent and have Oceania order in several cases of our favorite wine (at whatever price they choose to bill us) to be delivered to the Sommelier on the ship.  They store it for us and have it ready when we request it for wherever we are dining for lunch and dinner.  Has anyone done this with Oceania?  They seem lost at the concept of such a thing.

I think you posted this before(?) and got several answers including mine.

Given the bulk purchases made by all of NCLH, I assume your several cases would be a rounding error nuisance for them particularly since O has no limit on bringing your own.

Again, what we’ve done is have well-respected local purveyors with excellent knowledge of regional wines in the embarkation country put together a selection for us. Pre-Cruise hotel will take delivery and then there are multiple ways to get to the ship. We then replenish along the way.

Even if O did your request, you’d end up paying top dollar. Because they don’t restrict personal booze, I just don’t see them doing it. But, worth a request.

Of course, if it happened to be Silver Trident wine, there might be an exception (Bob Binder is an owner).🤔

You could contact whoever you used at Regent and ask for an O contact (might even be the same person).

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

1 hour ago, LHT28 said:

Have you taken your bottle of rum or whatever  spirit you drink to the dining room?

I made a mistake,  thought the conversation was paying the corkage for a bottle of wine— Never have taken a glass of anything from my cabin!  

• Haha 1

I think we’re being trolled!

Fwiw, champagne is, and has

always been a Sparkling wine, along with Cremant from from other areas of France.  Sparkling wine comes from many areas of the world such as Prosecco in Italy, Gava in Spain, and Sparkling wine in the US.

Fortified wines such as port and sherry are also included in the wine lists. The included dessert wines, on the by the glass menu may include those fortified wines as well as Vin Santos and trocken berry Auslese . They are all wines whether sparkling, sweet, or fortified. For those lovers of ( Mad Dog) MD 20/20, it’s a fortified wine and a $25 corkage fee will allow you to enjoy it in dining venues also.

No distilled products are covered in the program. Enjoy your moon shine or other more distinctively distilled products brought aboard in your cabin only.

Easy Peasy!

Edited by pinotlover