Royal Caribbean's Start Dates

13 hours ago, Tree_skier said:

It's interesting to observe the same people who advocated for ridiculously strict government mandated lockdowns and restrictions on businesses all for the greater good now don't want a govt. having any say in how a business runs it's business. Even when that govt is attempting to protect fundamental civil liberties all for the greater good.

I think that's an oversimplification. The people who wanted lockdowns want maximum safety. And quite frankly, if you are vaccinated then you should be able to do whatever you want..

The problem is that somehow this all became political.

I'm not sure how and why masks and vaccines became political.

1 hour ago, SpartacusMD said:

I think that's an oversimplification. The people who wanted lockdowns want maximum safety. And quite frankly, if you are vaccinated then you should be able to do whatever you want..

The problem is that somehow this all became political.

I'm not sure how and why masks and vaccines became political.

Well, liberty is more important to me than safety from a virus with a greater than 99% survival. I’m vaccinated so I’m not worried but I certainly understand people hesitation with allowing people to discriminate based on personal  health decisions. 

Edited by Tree_skier

7 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

Well, liberty is more important to me than safety from a virus with a greater than 99% survival. I’m vaccinated so I’m not worried but I certainly understand people hesitation with allowing people to discriminate based on personal  health decisions. 

a) I'm sure even with that liberty belief you weren't huddling in masses of strangers breathing on each other for hours at a stretch (I know this because you chose to get vaccinated, thus you aren't in that category). In other words, you still took care.

b) You chose to get vaccinated.

c) There's more to be concerned about than just dying.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dswallow said:

a) I'm sure even with that liberty belief you weren't huddling in masses of strangers breathing on each other for hours at a stretch (I know this because you chose to get vaccinated, thus you aren't in that category). In other words, you still took care.

b) You chose to get vaccinated.

c) There's more to be concerned about than just dying.

I'm obviously not an antivaxxer but in all honesty, if it weren't for cruising/international travel I'd probably have held off getting the vaccine. 

You are right, there are more things to be concerned about than dying from the virus.  I'm really not that concerned about that for myself at all.  I'm much more concerned about the totalitarian approach some govt has taken without regard for peoples individual liberty, their business and the collateral damage their lockdowns have caused. Especially so when you see the insignificant benefit those lockdowns have had.

• Like 1

On 5/26/2021 at 7:21 PM, mavo68 said:

I don’t see how these ships will sail when none of them even have a date for test sailings.

That is because you do not work for RCCL and know nothing about what they have or not have to do, it's all speculation and not very accurate.  I also know nothing so don't get panties in a wad.  I am heartily tired of people pretending they know more than anyone else when they don't.  I figure I will listen to the company itself.  ONLY.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

I'm obviously not an antivaxxer but in all honesty, if it weren't for cruising/international travel I'd probably have held off getting the vaccine. 

You are right, there are more things to be concerned about than dying from the virus.  I'm really not that concerned about that for myself at all.  I'm much more concerned about the totalitarian approach some govt has taken without regard for peoples individual liberty, their business and the collateral damage their lockdowns have caused. Especially so when you see the insignificant benefit those lockdowns have had.

The problem is that you (the "royal" you) have nothing to compare how it went with what we did (or truthfully more like what we tried to do, because compliance was terrible) versus if we had not done anything for the most part.

For example, how might you conceive your own behavior would be adjusted if every place you went was filled with sweating, coughing, nasal dripping people sneezing over everything? Or if you drove by some closed mall's parking lot everyday and saw it filled with refrigerated trucks being used as a temporary morgue?

We as a country are simply accustomed to a generally pleasant, safe, clean environment. A familiar environment. When you do things like lock down, you're doing it to prevent something, that if you are successful in your approach, will not happen, and thus is so too often pointed to as if we didn't need to lock down... "look, nothing bad happened, we didn't need to do that!"

And then mix that up with a political environment where your health was simply not the first, second or even third priority in how things were explained or discussed in public.

10 minutes ago, BecciBoo said:

That is because you do not work for RCCL and know nothing about what they have or not have to do, it's all speculation and not very accurate.  I also know nothing so don't get panties in a wad.  I am heartily tired of people pretending they know more than anyone else when they don't.  I figure I will listen to the company itself.  ONLY.

That would be wonder if RC actually communicated with their customers. I mean they do have thousands of our dollars tied up.

2 hours ago, Tree_skier said:

Liberty is a two way street. Actually it's more like a multi-way spider web.

You have the liberty to not get a vaccine and royal Caribbean has the liberty to require a vaccine. You also have the liberty of going to a resort somewhere that has taken the liberty of allowing non vax guests.

The government has to keep order when multiple people's liberties conflict. And they won't please everyone but at least they'll keep the order and that's their job. That's why we pay them.

Edited by SpartacusMD
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, BecciBoo said:

I am amused that you'd say that when the term, "sail away from the safe harbor. "

is right in your signature.............

Others may book with trepidation and worry.  That is why I made reference to other's peril.  I am not afraid to leave the safe harbor.  Currently have 28 cruises booked on Royal and a few other on other lines before next June.    I believe in the lasting nature of cruising and was never concerned with bankruptcy, etc.  Still have my 200 shares of Royal.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, dswallow said:

The problem is that you (the "royal" you) have nothing to compare how it went with what we did (or truthfully more like what we tried to do, because compliance was terrible) versus if we had not done anything for the most part.

For example, how might you conceive your own behavior would be adjusted if every place you went was filled with sweating, coughing, nasal dripping people sneezing over everything? Or if you drove by some closed mall's parking lot everyday and saw it filled with refrigerated trucks being used as a temporary morgue?

We as a country are simply accustomed to a generally pleasant, safe, clean environment. A familiar environment. When you do things like lock down, you're doing it to prevent something, that if you are successful in your approach, will not happen, and thus is so too often pointed to as if we didn't need to lock down... "look, nothing bad happened, we didn't need to do that!"

And then mix that up with a political environment where your health was simply not the first, second or even third priority in how things were explained or discussed in public.

This is spot on. No one will EVER know the impact of NOT having lockdowns so to prove that they were "ineffective" is really, truly, impossible. 

Virus spread was still incredible n the US due to NOT REALLY having a lockdown in the US. If people want to see how effective a "real-lockdown" functions, look at Australia and New Zealand. You couldn't do ANYTHING for months in either country outside of absolutely ESSENTIAL activities. I know for a FACT I could go to any grocery store anytime, any supply store (home depot, lowe's etc), costco, walmart, and most stores at almost ANY time during our "lockdowns" in the US. The infection rates are practically ZERO in AUS/NZ but they did absolutely get exposed and had local spread. Now they have about 40 cases localized and they locked down TIGHT again. The way the US imposed "lock downs" was pretty useless and frankly the resistance to a complete shutdown made things worse and contributed to a massive onslaught of cases and deaths. Had people even been more WILLING to HELP EACH OTHER OUT over PERSONAL LIBERTIES we could have saved at least 1 more life....

It's interesting the CDC tactic of telling those that are vaccinated can be unmasked and those who aren't "can't" be actually seems to have convinced some to get their shot.

I think the realization for some in this country is that if there are 100 people in a room, 50 are now vaccinated, another 15 or so have natural immunity (based on 90 million estimated to actually have been infected of which a large % got the vaccine as well), that means there are potentially 35 people who have NO immunity just coughing, breathing, and sending their saliva amongst each other who ARE at risk because they "identify as vaccinated".

Edited by JMKreno
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, dswallow said:

I appreciate your posts and have long given up discussions that unavoidably become political.  This one has that inevitability, so I'll bow out at this point. The only purpose for this post is to simply not ghost a poster who brings a reasonableness to the discussion that I appreciate even in areas I disagree.

No matter what the decisions people or governments make I'm ready and am looking forward to cruising soon.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...