Where to stay in Seattle before cruise?

5 minutes ago, Elaine5715 said:

No one in my traveling party is interested in spending an extra dime in downtown Seattle due to crime and the practice of not holding criminals accountable through prosecution.  You can bet if a cruiser is a victim of a criminal act, no one will care since the cruiser is from out of town

Guess you are not from Detroit?

8 hours ago, diddlydi said:

Thank you for your answer but they are all booked up now. Is the somewhere else close by? 

If you are into historic hotels, check the Mayflower Park Hotel, it is on 4th and Olive at Westlake Station.  It is part of the Historic Hotels of America, a National Trust for Historic Preservation. 
The monorail to the Space Needle is at Westlake Station and the Pike Market is 4 blocks to the west. Another plus is if you are able bodied, you can use the “Link” train from the airport to Westlake Station for $3.

Coming from a big city, you just need the big city awareness and you should be OK.

Edited by SLC1954
Added text.

9 hours ago, diddlydi said:

Thank you for your answer but they are all booked up now. Is the somewhere else close by? 

Too bad, the Inn at the Market is a gem. There are many hotels within a few blocks of the Inn and Pike Place Market. One of the closer, and newest, would be The State. If the Inn isn’t out of your price range you might consider the Four Seasons or Fairmont Olympic which are premier properties in Seattle.

Seattle is a large city 83.9 square miles with a number of issues. Check out Seattle Marriott Waterfront, it is near pier 66. Cruise ships leave out of pier 66 and pier 91. Also check out the Queen Anne area of Seattle for hotels. The unrest we had was in the Capital Hill, Pike Pine area around Cal Anderson Park is about 2 miles away from Seattle Marriott waterfront on the other side of the i5 freeway. Also remember that Seattle is very hilly.

We just got back from a week in Seattle and are returning at the end of August for more time before a Celebrity Alaska cruise. We had such a great time we ran out of things to do! 

There are homeless in Seattle and it isn't pleasant to contemplate the lives of people who live in tents, especially when we are fortunate enough to have nice homes and the money to travel. If you avoid them or ignore them, they are pretty much harmless. A couple of times we passed by parks with someone yelling at nothing, but this is a mental health issue and not crime. This is found in most urban areas in the United States now, so you will have to restrict your travel destinations to the most exclusive and pricey to avoid it entirely.

That being said, I would heartily recommend the Belltown Inn at 3rd Avenue and Bell. I just stayed there for 6 nights at $169/night. No concierge, no pool, but nice rooms and a lovely rooftop lounge where you are encouraged to enjoy your morning coffee or happy hour. (See photo) There was also a fabulous takeout restaurant "Poke Bowl" a block away where you can fill yourself up on ahi, seared salmon, yellowtail, and a bunch of other seafood items with the fixin's for between $11.99 and $14.99. We took ours up to the rooftop lounge!

If you aren't planning to spend your days at the hotel and would like a comfortable, economy place to stay this was a solid choice. We'll be returning next month -- especially since we can walk downhill to the pier rolling our suitcases! (But check your pier location, there are two.)

IMG_004584.JPG

IMG_004589.JPG

• Like 1

@cherylgrrl

Thank You!

We are looking forward to our one night at The Sound Hotel which is no far from the Belltown Inn. Right now there is confusion via the Port of Seattle schedule and Celebrity's info as to which pier we will sail from. Hope it is as the Port website states and we have that downhill walk to board the Millennium!

1 hour ago, TMLAalum said:

@cherylgrrl

Thank You!

We are looking forward to our one night at The Sound Hotel which is no far from the Belltown Inn. Right now there is confusion via the Port of Seattle schedule and Celebrity's info as to which pier we will sail from. Hope it is as the Port website states and we have that downhill walk to board the Millennium!

All Millennium cruises (with the exception of the August 6th cruise) will sail from Pier 66.  I am so surprised that the corrected pier information has not yet been sent to passengers - especially since the first sail date is 7/30, just over two weeks away.

4 hours ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

All Millennium cruises (with the exception of the August 6th cruise) will sail from Pier 66.  I am so surprised that the corrected pier information has not yet been sent to passengers - especially since the first sail date is 7/30, just over two weeks away.

I agree. We have completed online check-in and the app says 91 as does an email sent to me by Celebrity this morning:

10 Sep 2021Celebrity MillenniumSeattle, Washington, Smith Cove Cruise Terminal at Pier 91

10 Sep 2021 Celebrity Millennium Seattle, Washington, Smith Cove Cruise Terminal at Pier 91
Edited by TMLAalum

4 hours ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

Quick update - the Port of Seattle released its revised 2021 Sailing Schedule and the Millennium will be sailing from Pier 66 (except for the August 6 sailing which will be from Pier 91).

https://www.portseattle.org/sites/default/files/2021-07/2021 Sailing Schedule Updated 7.13.21.pdf

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TMLAalum said:

I agree. We have completed online check-in and the app says 91 as does an email sent to me by Celebrity this morning:

10 Sep 2021Celebrity MillenniumSeattle, Washington, Smith Cove Cruise Terminal at Pier 91

10 Sep 2021 Celebrity Millennium Seattle, Washington, Smith Cove Cruise Terminal at Pier 91

I understand - very confusing.  Please keep watching your online X account for notifications.

I'm SO confused. So we have The Sound hotel in Belltown reserved. After reading some of the comments on here about the area, now I'm concerned. However, when I look at ratings on TripAdvisor I see that this hotel is ranked #3 which is where I looked at the beginning of my search and chose this hotel because of the rankings.

So we've have been to Seattle 3 times before for a cruise. We stayed at the Sheraton on 6th twice I believe and once at Hotel Andrea. Liked them both. So I just looked at the rate on the Sheraton thinking ok we know we like this hotel I might can book this. It's cheaper than The Sound.($162 vs $192) The Sheraton is now rated #22 on TA.😝

So my conclusion is if the hotel, The Sound in Belltown, is ranked #3 it must not be too bad. We will not be walking around at night but we will during daylight and we're only here for 1 night before cruise.

Decisions decisions!!🤔😬

On 7/14/2021 at 6:35 AM, TMLAalum said:

@cherylgrrl

Thank You!

TMLAalum..would you mind to report back on your stay at The Sound please? We go end of Aug and so much controversy on here about the area. Feel free to private message me. Enjoy  your cruise.

On 6/22/2021 at 9:26 AM, P.A. said:

So how are you getting from airport to hotel? We don't really want to take the railway because we have too much luggage. We'll be departing from Pier 91.

Have you taken your cruise yet? Just wondering how your stay was at The Sound? Please report back or PM me. I would like to hear about it. THanks

11 hours ago, P.A. said:

TMLAalum..would you mind to report back on your stay at The Sound please? We go end of Aug and so much controversy on here about the area. Feel free to private message me. Enjoy  your cruise.

Hi P.A.

We don't stay at the Sound until 9/9. I too have hread conflicting reports on the Belltown area but personally am not alarmed about safety since we don't plan on wandering the area after dark. The major issue appears to be that there are many homeless people in the area which would suggest panhandling not mugging. Maybe because I grew up in Queens, NY and have lived in the Chicago area and now Cleveland, which has a higher crime rate than Seattle, I feel o.k. about the Sound and am looking forward to our stay there, taking the monorail to/from Seattle Center to visit Chihuly Gardens, and schlepping to Pier 66 on the 10th.

@TMLAalum I grew up in the Greater Cleveland area, took the Rapid Transit downtown when I lived there years ago, so riding the Link in Seattle is my choice to get to my hotel.
I live in Denver now and also travel frequently to DC and ride the Metro to get around.  It is all about being aware of your soundings and not having that “tourist” look.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TMLAalum said:

Hi P.A.

We don't stay at the Sound until 9/9. I too have hread conflicting reports on the Belltown area but personally am not alarmed about safety since we don't plan on wandering the area after dark. The major issue appears to be that there are many homeless people in the area which would suggest panhandling not mugging. Maybe because I grew up in Queens, NY and have lived in the Chicago area and now Cleveland, which has a higher crime rate than Seattle, I feel o.k. about the Sound and am looking forward to our stay there, taking the monorail to/from Seattle Center to visit Chihuly Gardens, and schlepping to Pier 66 on the 10th.

Hello!

Oh OK we will be there before that. I will report back.😊

And we have now decided..I think, to use the light rail from the airport since the hotel is only a short walk from Westlake station. I'm hoping not up hill though. We'll have 2 large and one small suitcase. But it will be my husband and I so hopefully we can handle it. Hoping to do the luggage valet on our ships return so we don't have to handle the luggage returning back to the airport.

Enjoy your cruise. Fingers crossed we get to go!!

• Like 1

On 7/14/2021 at 10:21 AM, TMLAalum said:

You can check for yourself -- Millennium is at Pier 66.  

Millennium-Pier 66.JPG

7 hours ago, Glaciers said:

You may not even notice it but the first two blocks to The Sound there is a very slight incline along 4th Ave. The 3rd block is slight downhill ending at the hotel.

Awesome! I think we can do it! Thanks so much for the info.😀👍

• Like 1

The Sound is a new hotel and looks very nice and is in a good area.  If your arriving or departing from Pier 66 remember that is considered in the downtown hotel zone so ANY cab should be charging you a $40 flat rate to Seatac.  Even from Seatac there are flat rate taxis but you need to make sure you have a flat rate cab vs metered and the rate is about the same but there is an 'airport fee'.  There are taxi dispatchers to help you.  No more shuttle express, nor flat rate limos or towncars as they have gone out of business during covid.  Seattle is pretty much back to normal but without a lot of office workers returning it seems less busy but for tourists and the tourist areas you will find it very nice and busy with visitors.

• Like 1

Near the port on the waterfront and you'll be paying $300+ a night or more. Stay downtown, taxi or uber to the port. Just depends what brand you like.

We're staying downtown only because my wife works for Marriott and we get killer deals on 2 rooms. The Marriott waterfront was still $375 a night for her discount. 

Enjoy yourself. Check out a local seafood restaurant!