Fully Vaccinated Cruises and then Non Fully Vaccinated Cruises

Lee Cruiser

12 minutes ago, CI66774 said:

Have them take a test before boarding. I don’t agree with forced vaccination in order to cruise, buy groceries, etc. moreover, no one is creating a disruption by the mere fact they declined to be vaxxed.

A cruise is FAR different than a plane. A cruise can have up to 6,000+ people onboard whose entire vacation can be ruined by just one of the ME BEFORE ANYONE attitude many Americans have. If you don't think so, take a trip to Disney World and you will see it first hand. No one is forced to take a vaccine. However, that decision limits what you are able to do and one of them should be the ability to board a cruise ship. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, jfunk138 said:

First world problems on Cruise Critic:

"It is my 'right' to not have my cruise interrupted by a case of Covid"

When people think about "selfish", they really need to look in the mirror.

And read these boards.

Full of the most selfish, self-righteous, and self-important.

Luckily it seems to just be a handful, but they never stop.posting.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, BoozinCroozin said:

A cruise is FAR different than a plane. A cruise can have up to 6,000+ people onboard whose entire vacation can be ruined by just one of the ME BEFORE ANYONE attitude many Americans have. 

This is offensive.

Have you ever travelled outside the US?

• Like 2

The CDC is making the cruise lines have plans in place for positive cases.  Since the high risk people should be vaccinated, that leaves the young and healthy.  The young and healthy should not go from testing negative to needing hospitalization in 7 days.  This is not March 2020.  They will simply quarantine the positive cases, like they do when traveling and testing positive.  They don't shut hotels down.  

Covid cases can easily be managed anywhere.  A person will not go from testing negative to being a super spreader on a 7 day cruise.  Of course, this is my opinion.  I think the fear of the world is ending because of a positive covid case aboard a cruise is highly dramatic.

Edited by TNcruising02
  • Like 6

Haven't read all the replies, its getting too much, but to answer the OP's question, in my opinion, if the cruise line utilizes their fully vaccinated cruises to be audited for compliance with all measures of the CSO, then they could apply for a CSO certificate using non-vaccinated protocols.  

Perhaps the port/service agreements/contracts would need to be revised if they were signed on the basis of fully vaccinated cruises, so that might affect the issuance of a new CSO certificate.

Edited by chengkp75
  • Like 1

Christine Duffy's response on GMA, CCL does not believe the current protocols will allow for passengers without vaccinations. That is a pretty clear statement that the cruise lines do not have a plan in place to be able to police the unvaccinated. In the interview in front of the MG, imagine 6,000 people onboard, 1,000 not vaccinated. Those 1,000 have to follow a distinct different set of protocols and CCL would have to staff it to make sure those 1,000 adhere. That is unnecessary expense and requirements. Much easier to have 1 set of rules and 90% of the policing requirements eliminated. 

Say what you want, but that was a fairly clear statement about cruising starting in July, even when they are doing test cruises.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, jfunk138 said:

First world problems on Cruise Critic:

"It is my 'right' to not have my cruise interrupted by a case of Covid"

When people think about "selfish", they really need to look in the mirror.

Seriously?!?!?!? You think you have the right to put everyone else's vacation time, money, and potentially lives at risk by choosing not to be vaccinated? This is like saying I am going run this red light at 70MPH because I don't want to stop and it is too bad I killed your family in the back seat of your car as I t-bone you.

But thanks to the new direction CCL just mentioned, NCL already going with it, and RCL soon to follow, unvaccinated passengers will not be cruising for a while.

Edited by BoozinCroozin

12 minutes ago, BoozinCroozin said:

Seriously?!?!?!? You think you have the right to put everyone else's vacation time, money, and potentially lives at risk by choosing not to be vaccinated? This is like saying I am going run this red light at 70MPH because I don't want to stop and it is too bad I killed your family in the back seat of your car as I t-bone you.

And the award for OTT overreaction goes to...

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

https://academic.oup.com/jid/article/223/7/1132/6060070

Turns out we already have a list of people who are likely to cause a cruise to be interrupted... and so far "the unvaccinated" isn't on it.

"Patients with chronic cardiovascular disease, hypertension, chronic pulmonary disease, immunosuppression, obesity, and chronic neurological disease more often had high viral load (P value < .05 for all comparisons)."

These high viral load people are your selfish "superspreaders".   Looking forward to hearing about how the cruiselines are excluding them.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, BoozinCroozin said:

But thanks to the new direction CCL just mentioned, NCL already going with it, and RCL soon to follow, unvaccinated passengers will not be cruising for a while.

Do you have the same attitude about people who have untreated heart disease and high blood pressure going on a cruise? Because they are much more likely to end up needing to be evacuated from the ship--either causing the ship to return to port, miss a port, etc., than a normally healthy person who is not vaccinated and tests negative for COVID prior to the cruise, coming down with a case of COVID so severe or spreading it so that it forces a change in the ship's itinerary.

And I'm fully vaxxed. I just don't view the unvaxxed as walking death traps. The likelihood that a healthy, unvaxxed, asymptomatic person even HAS COVID is minuscule, so automatically assuming every single unvaxxed person is contagious is IMO overreaction.

• Like 7

It's my understanding that the fully vaxed cruises are credited toward the test cruises, so after several successful sailing, they can sail at will. The test cruises are mainly for procedures at sea, with medical and staff. 5% of the passengers on the first sailings will not be vaxed, so it should count toward test runs. My opinion.

55 minutes ago, d12j28 said:

Great, everyone has to pass a physical fitness test to cruise now. At least there won't be any scooters running us over!

When the cruiselines get in the business of requiring medical documentation to cruise, this seems to be a logical step to avoid violating anyone's "right" to an uninterrupted cruise.  

• Like 2

6 hours ago, BoozinCroozin said:

We cruise in November. The issue at hand is Carnival has a financial commitment to its shareholders to bring value back. The worst thing that could happen to the cruise industry now is any type of breakout of Covid onboard. One case that is controlled and locked down is ok. If it spreads from that one case, it will be bad news for the cruise industry. 

Simply put, stopping the entire fleet because of people not wanting to be vaccinated is wrong for Carnival, it's shareholders, it's employees, and it's customers. My belief on the vaccine 2 months ago was due to supply being available. What we have now is so much supply and too many choosing to get it. I 100% agree that it is your choice/freedom/right. However, deciding one way or another has consequences. I am with NCL on their plan of 100% vaccination requirement. 

Remember, a cruise is not YOUR vacation, it is everyone's onboard. Everyone's vacation should not be at risk because of YOUR choices. I am in the group that believes anyone 12 and older must be vaccinated to board. Those under 12 are required to have Covid testing done the day before the cruise, midway through the cruise, and daily health screenings. Anyone 12 and older are required to be vaccinated. If they don't agree, there are other vacations available. I also think any unvaccinated passengers to be held financially liable for the loss of all other passengers onboard vacation. When you figure my weekly salary, my wife's and all expenses for a cruise, it amounts to about $10,000. Multiply that by say 2,000 other cabins and you quickly see the selfish cannot afford the repercussions. I don't magically get my vacation days back because a selfish person doesn't want to be vaccinated. Its gone and takes another year to accumulate again. 

As for canceling without penalties, I would agree if they made vaccines required. It only takes about 20 minutes to get vaccinated or deal with the days, hours, and months to get a refund...easy decision, get jabbed.

Could not have said it better myself.  Thank you

All of you should remember what happened to flying as a passenger on an airline after 9/11. The TSA, the Patriot Act, Homeland Security and the total revulsion by people on airlines towards passengers that appeared after. With passengers being more and more of the same. Nickel and Diming expanded aggravating passengers with those trying to save a few bucks putting their luggage in the passenger compartment with added costs as options.  But then we get into diversity. Well on cruise ships you better get ready for all types of games by people. You guys who cruise a lot. Do you ever talk to people who do not tip a cent?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, BoozinCroozin said:

Christine Duffy's response on GMA, CCL does not believe the current protocols will allow for passengers without vaccinations. That is a pretty clear statement that the cruise lines do not have a plan in place to be able to police the unvaccinated. In the interview in front of the MG, imagine 6,000 people onboard, 1,000 not vaccinated. Those 1,000 have to follow a distinct different set of protocols and CCL would have to staff it to make sure those 1,000 adhere. That is unnecessary expense and requirements. Much easier to have 1 set of rules and 90% of the policing requirements eliminated. 

Say what you want, but that was a fairly clear statement about cruising starting in July, even when they are doing test cruises.

I agree, she sounded pretty clear to me as well.  Not sure why they are getting permission for test cruises, because it certainly sounds like vaccinations for at least the early cruises has already been determined.

5 hours ago, Lee Cruiser said:

I agree, she sounded pretty clear to me as well.  Not sure why they are getting permission for test cruises, because it certainly sounds like vaccinations for at least the early cruises has already been determined.

Covering all bases. It's called Plan B.